Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

14 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

WE used to make our on TV sets in Australia

But did we make the whole TV or just assembled it here? Take a mobile phone for example. The precious metals are mined in Indonesia, plastics made in Texas, microchips made in the Philippines, screens made in Malaysia, wires made in Mexico, speakers assembled in Vietnam and then everything sent to a Chinese factory to put it altogether. Nothing is really made in one country no matter what the box tells you. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Like employing crew from the areas were they operate in for example???

Maybe you should start a cruise line and see how it works out😆 I think nothing should be ruled out but if these companies think it will just be business as usual than they probably won't be around for that much longer. In hindsight instead of being so aggressive in negotiating with destinations they should have nurtured better relationships. Hopefully they will learn from this. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

But did we make the whole TV or just assembled it here? Take a mobile phone for example. The precious metals are mined in Indonesia, plastics made in Texas, microchips made in the Philippines, screens made in Malaysia, wires made in Mexico, speakers assembled in Vietnam and then everything sent to a Chinese factory to put it altogether. Nothing is really made in one country no matter what the box tells you. 

Yes we did .. made our own Valves and CRTs and all our small components and transformers and the like.. I know I worked in the industry.... yep I am that Old! 

And I can show you some of those products that work as well today as when they were made 50 years ago  including transmitting valves 

Edited by VK3DQ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, some of the unemployed people we see in Australia would be cleaning our cabins and waiting on tables - all with a smile of course.😉

And why not ... some of the people we replaced with a MYKI machine would be very happy to have a job on the railways ....

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's how it has been on many of the Australian-based ships, and the system has worked well.

That's not quite it. Cruises booked in Australia and New Zealand don't have gratuities but probably cost more. If for instance you booked the same Eclipse cruise I'm booked on (she will be home ported in Melbourne for the season) you would not pay "gratuities" but probably pay more for your fare. If I was to book the same cabin on the same cruise in Canada I would probably pay less but will be charged gratuities. They're going to get our money either way.

1 minute ago, VK3DQ said:

And why not ... some of the people we replaced with a MYKI machine would be very happy to have a job on the railways ....

I just can't imagine many young Australians cleaning toilets, operating the laundry and doing other menial tasks on a cruise ship. A lot of workers in our hospitality industry here used to be backpackers.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's not quite it. Cruises booked in Australia and New Zealand don't have gratuities but probably cost more. If for instance you booked the same Eclipse cruise I'm booked on (she will be home ported in Melbourne for the season) you would not pay "gratuities" but probably pay more for your fare. If I was to book the same cabin on the same cruise in Canada I would probably pay less but will be charged gratuities. They're going to get our money either way.

In Canada you need to control;l your own coastal shipping ships run by Canadians  you know it makes sense

I just can't imagine many young Australians cleaning toilets, operating the laundry and doing other menial tasks on a cruise ship. A lot of workers in our hospitality industry here used to be backpackers.

Sorry Thats all over now

In the comparisons I have done on some Aussie cruises between Americans booking and paying gratuities, compared with Aussie fares, the Aussies come out better. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

And I remember dedicate stewards that used to sign on trip after trip with Cunard in the  uk...to "mother hen " their passengers. there was an old fellow just like that worked on the Overland Train in the 1st class ... he was just as I describe

In the comparisons I have done on some Aussie cruises between Americans booking and paying gratuities, compared with Aussie fares, the Aussies come out better. 🙂

That may be true and good on ya mate. I just look at the bottom line and decide if I want to pay that much. As it turns out the Airfare to get me to New Zealand and home from Oz is about $800.00 more than the 11 day cruise in a concierge veranda state room.

That may be true and good on ya mate. I just look at the bottom line and decide if I want to pay that much. As it turns out the Airfare to get me to New Zealand and home from Oz is about $800.00 more than the 11 day cruise in a concierge veranda state room.

That is what is was ..its NOT going to be the same a bit later down the track ..we have to ensure we survive ..many shipping lines may not survive .. the whole book on cruising and travel for that matter is being re written ....and I for one dont know what changes will be made

22 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Yes we did .. made our own Valves and CRTs and all our small components and transformers and the like.. I know I worked in the industry.... yep I am that Old! 

And I can show you some of those products that work as well today as when they were made 50 years ago  including transmitting valves 

I even remember those days.

Try buying a 5Y3GT or a germanium diode.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

International airfares can add a lot to cruises. When you come to Aust, if you have time, it would be worthwhile doing some extra sightseeing/travelling.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I even remember those days.

Try buying a 5Y3GT or a germanium diode.

you might be surprised but I lust after triodes AL811s and the suchlike the best made prior to ww2  still a few about and we have lots of 3n2055's in the bin 

BUT we can make the new stuff if we have the will to start

3 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

you might be surprised but I lust after triodes AL811s and the suchlike the best made prior to ww2  still a few about and we have lots of 3n2055's in the bin 

BUT we can make the new stuff if we have the will to start

I have a Hallicrafters SX-28 Super Skyrider in the garage looking for a home.

Hi  Folks lets not get bogged down with what we cannot do ...lets concentrate on our future and what we can do, lets be aware that this virus has changed the travel industry so we dont recognize it we have to rebuild it to suit our needs its not going to be the same old same old any more .,,, no cheap trips to Bali ,,,,,,,

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

International airfares can add a lot to cruises. When you come to Aust, if you have time, it would be worthwhile doing some extra sightseeing/travelling.

We are in Oz from the 6th to 18th of Feb 2021. Melbourne 3 nts, Ballarat 1 nt, Port Campbell 2 nts, Wallington 1 nt and Phillip Island 2 nts then fly Melbourne to Sydney where we will spend 3 nights before flying home

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are in Oz from the 6th to 18th of Feb 2021. Melbourne 3 nts, Ballarat 1 nt, Port Campbell 2 nts, Wallington 1 nt and Phillip Island 2 nts then fly Melbourne to Sydney where we will spend 3 nights before flying home

Do you think your airline will operate your flights in Feb 2021??  I would not bank on it ,,,but I hope you have good luck and say hello to the little penguins at phillip island