Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

"Optimistic" is one word for it. I can think of others, not quite as favourable.

They should have put a stop to sales on these ships that won't be sailing, even if they are still tidying up the cancellation process. 

• Like 2

Could this be the start of travel recommencing? Even before our State borders are open?

Full article at ABC.

"The New Zealand Government is considering whether the border between Australia and New Zealand could be re-opened if both countries continue to successfully manage the coronavirus pandemic."

Today the "leader" of the largest outbreak in the world suggested that he could unilaterally open the border with Canada. If of course Canada continues to do as well as the US at containing the virus. Unfortunately The United States has 10 times the population of Canada but has more than 20 times the confirmed cases and 28 times the deaths. I'm pretty sure Canada will have a great deal to say about when the border is opened to non essential crossings.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Could this be the start of travel recommencing? Even before our State borders are open?

Full article at ABC.

"The New Zealand Government is considering whether the border between Australia and New Zealand could be re-opened if both countries continue to successfully manage the coronavirus pandemic."

Yay! Hopefully they'll be lots of NZ/Australia cruises soon.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Today the "leader" of the largest outbreak in the world suggested that he could unilaterally open the border with Canada. If of course Canada continues to do as well as the US at containing the virus. Unfortunately The United States has 10 times the population of Canada but has more than 20 times the confirmed cases and 28 times the deaths. I'm pretty sure Canada will have a great deal to say about when the border is opened to non essential crossings.

From what I have noticed it seems the state governers have the power when it comes to dealing with infectious outbreaks so perhaps it will be up to the state leaders if they want borders reopened or if they are willing to accept people coming in from another country🤔

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am convinced that USA has many more infections they they know. I do not mean that they are hiding the figures, but I believe there are many people who either having been able to get tested, or haven't been to a hospital because of the cost.

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am convinced that USA has many more infections they they know. I do not mean that they are hiding the figures, but I believe there are many people who either having been able to get tested, or haven't been to a hospital because of the cost.

Absolutely agree. And because of that borders can’t be opened yet. 

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I don't believe Australia's borders can be opened for quite some time. State borders are different, and it is suggested that Aust and NZ could be opened to travel when both countries have reached a zero count of new infections. What the health authorities have to watch for are asymptomatic people who do not know they are infected, but who could pass the virus on.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I don't believe Australia's borders can be opened for quite some time. State borders are different, and it is suggested that Aust and NZ could be opened to travel when both countries have reached a zero count of new infections. What the health authorities have to watch for are asymptomatic people who do not know they are infected, but who could pass the virus on.

Asymptomatic people are the risk. In a perfect world everyone would be tested. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

In a perfect world, none of us would need to be tested.

In our complex society, and don't get me started on the vile wet markets and corrupt governments (oh, I sound like someone on here 😂) I don't think those days ever existed. 

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This is the biggest problem with a user pays health system.  Totally highlighted by this pandemic and over represented in mortality rate.  Most of those being tested are the gravely ill.

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

One school of thought predicts no overseas visitors to NZ before Christmas .😳

12 hours ago, banzaii said:

This is the biggest problem with a user pays health system.  Totally highlighted by this pandemic and over represented in mortality rate.  Most of those being tested are the gravely ill.

I believe the real numbers of COVID cases in the US are much worse than the official figures indicate. Apparently for a death to be counted as caused by COVID, the person has to die in a hospital and they had to have tested positive. With the user-pay medical system, some people don't go to hospital at all, they die at home. It is an unfolding nightmare.

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One school of thought predicts no overseas visitors to NZ before Christmas .😳

I'd say well after Christmas. Because that will be the next winter for the NH and it is feared a resurgence might occur that would be devastating. 

Not an expert here, but doesn't stop many others 🙂

I think it will be at least well into 2021 before any normality in international travel resumes, and the regulations will make it very unattractive for travelers, unless for imperative reasons. At some point I believe the quarantine for arrivals will become at the travelers expense. Why should taxpayers continue to pay for costs for non-essential travel of others.

For example, Fiji have just announced that travelers arriving there will have to be quarantined for 28 days, with all costs to be borne by the traveler. No point in going to Fiji for a week, if you have to pay for another month!

I suggest that there may be some scope for domestic cruising (Aussies only) from perhaps Jan '21, but the 'keeness' for cruising will be impacted by need for medical clearance and the travel insurance conundrum (that will be kicker for me). For cruises to Sth Pacific Islands, I can't see that before the 'regular' season starting Sept/Oct 2021, and I think that's optimistic.

We are extra keen cruisers, who had expected to continue to average at least 2 cruises per year for the next many years, but I think that this is all less likely in the short/medium term. Our experience with insurance on recent/current cruise bookings is enough to put me off. 

Very sad times.

Edited by mr walker