Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, it looks like you have been researching your trip. I am intrigued at your plans for your visit to Victoria. May I ask why you are visiting Ballarat? I love Ballarat but it appears you are heading for the Great Ocean Road and going through Ballarat is the long way. Do you intend to visit Warrnambool which is my home town? Will you take the ferry from Queenscliff when you leave Wallington across to Sorrento and then on to Phillip Island?  If you have any questions ask away, there are a few Victorians on this board who will be willing to help. 

Hopefully we will have opened our borders by then but at this stage who knows. Good luck!

Leigh

Thanks Leigh

Well I opened a new thread called "now for something completely different" and frankly I was hoping you would chime in.

As it turns out we are fans of 2 Australian TV shows, Miss Fisher and Dr. Blake and found the locations were quite interesting. The reason why we are doing it that way is because we want to see a bit of Australia. We are renting a car in Melbourne. If you would like to shift to the other thread that would be cool.

Cheers, Lyle

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Thanks for the info. Yes we are doing both Jordan and Israel as five day land trips then Cairo then a 7 day Nile cruise. It may be our last significant journey overseas. 

I was so lucky to visit Cairo and the museum before they had the fire sway king TUT in all his glory and of course the Great Pyramids and the Spinx whist she still had her nose

Also in Greece with no scaffolding just walk up  and prawns with goats cheese and Ozo!

This was in 1964 I think ....

Regards

JOhn 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pushka said:

Nah, it's cool. It's written by the abc who don't exactly like private corporations so much. Profit is dirty to them. However they can be quite influential. 

Actually, it's not. If you look at the top it's a reposted opinion piece (labelled as such) by a 3rd party discussion site, which is linked.

The author has nothing to do with the ABC.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Actually, it's not. If you look at the top it's a reposted opinion piece (labelled as such) by a 3rd party discussion site, which is linked.

The author has nothing to do with the ABC.

Yes, already noted upthread. 😉

On 4/13/2020 at 12:35 PM, Hunter69 said:

Sad another 2 deaths today in NSW & they where both linked to the Ruby Princess. 

But concerning the main question.. I think there WILL not be any international cruises this year. There Will be local only ones from Sept/Oct on-wards.  If restrictions get lifted here in Australia, I don't think they will allow any overseas travel until the rest of the World controls it also. They won't want it coming back...

So, if they're keeping the borders closed (which I agree they will), then who is going to crew these domestic cruises you see happening in Sept/Oct?

On 4/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, Blackduck59 said:

We are in Oz from the 6th to 18th of Feb 2021. Melbourne 3 nts, Ballarat 1 nt, Port Campbell 2 nts, Wallington 1 nt and Phillip Island 2 nts then fly Melbourne to Sydney where we will spend 3 nights before flying home

Correction... you will be spending 14 nights in quarantine, in a hotel in Melbourne, before flying to Sydney for the last night before your flight home.

*** Assuming your flight operates at all, and the Aus Govt has started allowing non-residents to enter the country again.

7 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Correction... you will be spending 14 nights in quarantine, in a hotel in Melbourne, before flying to Sydney for the last night before your flight home.

*** Assuming your flight operates at all, and the Aus Govt has started allowing non-residents to enter the country again.

Have you got a source for this prediction? hopefully not FB or the daily Mail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

You are such a Ray of sunshine and we both know that I won't be doing any such thing. If the borders aren't open then the trip will be cancelled and I will just stay safe in Canada. So thank you for being so welcoming, I truly appreciate your uncalled for negativity.

Just heard this interview on ABC Afternoon Briefing with Simon Birmingham Minister For Tourism. He went on to say that Australians should be supporting local tourism operators who are doing it tough.

Birmingham says reports that more people are booking cruises now than before the virus hit is “madness”.

He says of the report in the Australian Financial Review: “Sounds like madness to me. That’s blunt, isn’t it?”

I would say to Australians that now is not a time to be making bookings for travel unless you have an iron-clad insurance policy, because we cannot guarantee when you will be able to undertake that travel, that clearly areas that have been proven to be higher risk are likely to be some of the last areas where that travel is permitted again.

Birmingham says cruise travel would likely be the “very last thing that is reactivated again, given the difficulties Australia has faced with the cruise sector so far”.

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

Just heard this interview on ABC Afternoon Briefing with Simon Birmingham Minister For Tourism. He went on to say that Australians should be supporting local tourism operators who are doing it tough.

Birmingham says reports that more people are booking cruises now than before the virus hit is “madness”.

He says of the report in the Australian Financial Review: “Sounds like madness to me. That’s blunt, isn’t it?”

I would say to Australians that now is not a time to be making bookings for travel unless you have an iron-clad insurance policy, because we cannot guarantee when you will be able to undertake that travel, that clearly areas that have been proven to be higher risk are likely to be some of the last areas where that travel is permitted again.

Birmingham says cruise travel would likely be the “very last thing that is reactivated again, given the difficulties Australia has faced with the cruise sector so far”.

Typical, a pollie having an opinion from rather than using facts.

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

Honestly, a decent minister would be sorting that out with the tourism industry he represents, instead of talking tough and making surprise announcements by megaphone. Of if there are disputes (which by the nature of the comment doesn't appear to be the case) discussing that while it is resolved. But representative of their capability really.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Have you got a source for this prediction? hopefully not FB or the daily Mail.

That's current Govt policy.  Nobody enters Australia other than citizens and permanent residents.  Those who do enter the country are subject to 14 days quarantine, in a hotel, in the city where they arrive.

What makes you think that the quarantine policy will change anytime soon?  Even if they do re-open the borders at some stage, it's highly likely that the quarantine policy will remain in place.  They really don't want to be hit by a 2nd wave of coronavirus infections.

While restrictions may be lifted domestically in a few months, there is no sign of international restrictions being lifted anytime in the next 12 months - and it will probably be a lot longer than that.

Edited by Vader1111

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

You are such a Ray of sunshine and we both know that I won't be doing any such thing. If the borders aren't open then the trip will be cancelled and I will just stay safe in Canada. So thank you for being so welcoming, I truly appreciate your uncalled for negativity.

Yes, it's depressing, and I apologise for the negativity - but it's also the reality of the world we face right now.

Anyone who thinks they will come to Australia, and waltz through open borders the way they did before, will be in for a very rude shock.  The world has changed, and Australia will not be opening its borders again to uncontrolled travel for at least 18 months and probably a lot longer.

Ordinarily, I'd say welcome to Australia and I hope you have a great time.  Given the current circumstances, I would suggest that you are delusional if you think those travel plans will actually eventuate in 10 months time.

Edited by Vader1111

Birmingham speaks a degree of truth. As much as many don't want to hear it. And I also think that CDC in the USA thinks the same, hence the completely impossible conditions it now requires before cruising can commence in the USA. Unless Covid is beaten. 

Edited by Pushka

49 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

That's current Govt policy.  Nobody enters Australia other than citizens and permanent residents.  Those who do enter the country are subject t o 14 days quarantine, in a hotel, in the city where they arrive.

What makes you think that the quarantine policy will change anytime soon?  Even if they do re-open the borders at some stage, it's highly likely that the quarantine policy will remain in place.  They really don't want to be hit by a 2nd wave of coronavirus infections.

While restrictions may be lifted domestically in a few months, there is no sign of international restrictions being lifted anytime in the next 12 months - and it will probably be a lot longer than that.

I am pretty sure the government have not set any specific dates but have been estimating 6 months minimum for  he restrictions on international guests

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Honestly, a decent minister would be sorting that out with the tourism industry he represents, instead of talking tough and making surprise announcements by megaphone. Of if there are disputes (which by the nature of the comment doesn't appear to be the case) discussing that while it is resolved. But representative of their capability really.

That I agree with. The tourism industry brings massive income and jobs for Australia. The government should have the decency to be making plans for a revival and reemergence when the crisis is over. That is what is upsetting me slightly more about this the fact that there are no plans for a recovery.

I saw the announcements today that do not expect international borders to reopen this year. I really wish I was in Japan right now. I find that there are no plans for this country.

If I have to take domestic travel then the only domestic travel I will ever pay for is that on a cruise ship. It will be up to the government to allow them back. As soon as cruising resumes my travel resumes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I would say to Australians that now is not a time to be making bookings for travel unless you have an iron-clad insurance policy, 

He does make a good point about insurance. As long as we are at Do Not Travel no insurance will cover you but then even if the level is lowered how much will insurance cover you? Will we have to wait for WHO to declare pandemic is over or will COVID19 be like terrorism no cover at all? In which case who will cover the cost for things like medical or repatriation if cruise ships are refused docking due to COVID19? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

He does make a good point about insurance. As long as we are at Do Not Travel no insurance will cover you but then even if the level is lowered how much will insurance cover you? Will we have to wait for WHO to declare pandemic is over or will COVID19 be like terrorism no cover at all? In which case who will cover the cost for things like medical or repatriation if cruise ships are refused docking due to COVID19? 

This question is my main concern about the future of cruising and International travel.

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Insurance doesn't cover the pandemics anyway, It is all the other things you need cover for. However, while there is a 'do not travel' warning, there will be no insurance.

Mine covers epidemics and pandemics. Insure and go. I'm in the process of filing claims for Bali for last month and will be doing similar for our Med cruise in July once the Do Not Travel gets extended to cover July. I took out cover last year. Of course it doesn't cover it for now for new policies. 

Edited by Pushka

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am pretty sure the government have not set any specific dates but have been estimating 6 months minimum for  he restrictions on international guests

They're estimating 6 months for domestic restrictions, though I suspect that they will be lifted earlier than that (3 months is my guess).  The Govt hasn't put any timeframe at all on international restrictions, and anything under 12 months is ludicrously optimistic.

24 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

They're estimating 6 months for domestic restrictions, though I suspect that they will be lifted earlier than that (3 months is my guess).  The Govt hasn't put any timeframe at all on international restrictions, and anything under 12 months is ludicrously optimistic.

I think it likely domestic restrictions will be eased, not lifted in a few months.

International restrictions will have to continue to at least the end of the year, probably longer. (Sorry Blackduck59!!) Australia has gone into virtual lock-down to restrict the spread of COVID, so we can't risk opening our borders too early. Medical experts say COVID won't be defeated until there is a vaccine in widespread use. This will take a long time.

Possibly in the future, people will have to produce their COVID vaccination certificate before they can go on a cruise.

6 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Our Government hasn't put a time line either, but I doubt it will last 6 months. We have pretty strict quarantine rules here and with further clarification this week the rules will be enforced by the RCMP and offenders will be arrested and subject to a fine of as much as $1,000,000.00 (yes you read that right)

I have enjoyed the many realistic comments by so many posters from down under, key word realistic. To me "ludicrously  optimistic" is less than 3 months. Realistic is a little open ended, 3 to six months for domestic travel and International travel by late November. Keep in mind I believe this same time line for Canada and we share the longest undefended border in the world with the biggest Covid 19 outbreak in the world. I have seen some posts from a few people that offer ridiculous prophecies of the sky falling and that this will go on for years, this I feel is ludicrously pessimistic.