for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the sheet suggestions. I'll check them out, keep 'em coming!

Lois -- my son liked the knit sheets when he was young, but I find the woven ones are what I like best.

Purplehays -- I have also heard other people recommend those sheets; I may order some and see what I think. 

Melody -- I never heard of Cariloa, I will have to check them out. 

AND, just another plug for Trader Joe's -- I LOVE their pineapple salsa, both as an old-school salsa (great with sweet potato tortilla chips) and as a condiment with something like a turkey burger, or grilled fish.

The last sheets I bought were Eileen Fisher organic cotton sateen (from Garnet Hill).  Bought them in 2018 and they are still great.  

I like TJ's pineapple salsa, too.  I just got into their Island Salsa.  It has a tad of spice on the back end, but it has pineapple and mango.  Really good on the shrimp burgers and broiled chicken and I lap it up with tortilla chips (yep, the TJ's sweet potato tortilla chips are excellent).  

The interstate down the canyon is finally open today.  It has been chaos for people up here - there is a dirt road that people have been using to get around to the next canyon.  And, our little road (some places 1.5 lanes) up over our pass to another canyon the leads to Salt Lake was jammed.  It usually takes about 45 minutes, but it was taking up to 3 hours!!  Some poor semi truck drivers did not realize how windy and narrow (and no guardrails) the road was, tried to take it and got stuck.  That was  huge mess.  I felt sorry for anyone who had to go up/down the canyon for work.   

Lois - those donuts sound heavenly!  And, don't worry about the sugar for one day.  I was told you have to treat yourself once in awhile!   I just looked at that menu - I would have picked the Maple Bacon and the Peanut Butter ones - at least you're getting good protein with those!!!!   

Edited by slidergirl

43 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I like TJ's pineapple salsa, too.  I just got into their Island Salsa.  It has a tad of spice on the back end, but it has pineapple and mango.  Really good on the shrimp burgers and broiled chicken and I lap it up with tortilla chips (yep, the TJ's sweet potato tortilla chips are excellent).  

Ooh, I haven't tried the Island Salsa -- will have to look for it on my next trip to TJs.

21 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I also having been upgrading my linens and towels during the pandemic. I also have been buying books like crazy . I read a lot but now I have so many books to read I am good for awhile .I really miss my book club.

Your comment reminded me -- about a week ago I watched a movie on Netflix that was based on a book I read about 10 years ago called the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was better than I expected it to be -- I'm generally not a fan of movie adaptations when I really like the book, but maybe the amount of time between when I read the book and when I watched the movie helped.

It was good "comfort food" movie but what it reminded me about again is the way in which good books can help you get through bad times -- whether by creating a world to escape to, or just introducing new ideas.  I know I've been doing a lot of reading too during the COVIDemic.  

During my divorce -- a painful time -- I discovered Frances Mayes' Tuscany books and I honestly lived in her world for about 6 months, lol. Just recently I read several books either written by or about the Durrells (sparked by the British series about the Durrells in Corfu). I find the books that let me escape the best are those that are partially telling a story but that also have a wonderful setting that is almost a character in itself.

I just read a nice book . It was perfect for escaping the pandemic "One day in December " . It is a romance and I am not a big romance reader but this was just a nice book .I also read "The Guernsey literary society " years ago . Another nice book .It really made me want to go to Guernsey .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the sheet suggestions. I'll check them out, keep 'em coming!

Lois -- my son liked the knit sheets when he was young, but I find the woven ones are what I like best.

Purplehays -- I have also heard other people recommend those sheets; I may order some and see what I think. 

Melody -- I never heard of Cariloa, I will have to check them out. 

AND, just another plug for Trader Joe's -- I LOVE their pineapple salsa, both as an old-school salsa (great with sweet potato tortilla chips) and as a condiment with something like a turkey burger, or grilled fish.

Cariloa is the bamboo store at all of the cruise ports 

Went shopping with daughter today (her first shopping since February, she’s a Type 1 diabetic & very high risk…let me just say, I’m glad I won’t pay her credit card bill, bags barely fit in the back of my CrV!). She was impressed with Chicos, WHBM, JJill in how they do the social distancing & cleaning. I dressed for the occasion (I did buy the necklace today). Melody

6D26E0BE-156C-47A9-805A-039C3C012FCC.jpeg

EBB9A3AF-8969-4DF2-A64E-573C6B2BB483.jpeg

A9A09EFA-D08B-4428-92E7-5C0A005FEBDE.jpeg

• Like 1

Lois - I would have gone for the bacon maple - if you 're going to get that "once in awhile" dessert, go all out!  

Melody - that white jean jacket makes the whole outfit!   The upturned collar says "I'm one bada$$ woman"!!

I put on a decent Tshirt with my running shorts and hit up Whole foods for some yogurts and flavored waters.  I also got the chicken and bacon to make tomorrow night.  Some grapefruit juice & milk.  A bag of Asian chopped salad.  I'm good for a couple of days now.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, alidor said:

Purdue - you have a great memory!  Yes, we lived outside of Chicago basically my whole life and just moved down to BLuffton, outside of Hilton Head, last week and we definitely made the right move!  It is a bit too hot for me right now but I figure if I can get through August, I’ll be okay.  But, it is really hot where you live, isn’t it?

Alidor, while going back a few pages to find the shower door cleaner recipe, I realized I had overlooked your question. Yes, it can be very hot here during the summer. But it’s a dry heat😉. the last  few days in the 90’s Have been really a nice break from the 100 plus during the past few weeks.  Hope you didn’t have any damage  from the storm. 
Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Lois, it’s too bad that we live on opposite sides of the country because I think I’d enjoy tagging along on your restaurant adventures. You seem to find the best places! Those donuts sound soooo yummy!

Kat, sounds like quite an adventure trying to get to SLC (not the airport). Guess waiting a few days is a good move. Ok about the pineapple salsa, is it spicy? For example, I always buy mild salsa.

Melody, Kat’s assessment of your outfit with the white jacket is right on.

No sheet suggestions, I bought a set st Costco a year or so ago that we like but then it doesn’t take much to please us. 

I ordered several books from Better World books. Free shipping used as well as  new books and sale offers emailed frequently. 

Signed up for Netflix free trial on my laptop and then figured out how to sign in on the TV and put 2 movies on my list to watch later. Tonight we are going to watch The Theory of Everything. 

Another great walk this morning and, after showering I put on a top I haven’t worn since last summer! Surprise-it still fits😁. No make up, however.
Sharon

• Like 1

Sharon - on the salsa, I wouldn't say it's spicy.  It has just a tiny spice at the end of the bite.  It doesn't overpower anything, I still taste the mango and pineapple more than anything.  

Yes, it was a royal pain for everyone up here to try to get down the hill.  I'm really glad that the dentist's office called to try to get me to come in earlier and we ended up rescheduling.  I would not have been able to get there in time, anyway!

• Like 1

Good morning friends🙂 happy to say my glucose number was actually good this morning!  

Sharon, I would love to visit your part of the country again (well, to be honest, the San Francisco area)  is one of 

my favorite places.......now they have some awesome food😀

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments on my denim jacket (Les called it my Pink Lady look 😉). The gals at Chicos loved it too. It was a fun day (FYI I had on a neon green mask...didn’t get a picture tho)

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone!   I'm playing hookey from work to do a quick check in :)

Hope everyone is doing well & staying healthy :)

sheet wise:   I love the Fieldcrest 800 TC brand from target, super silky, don't need ironing, although sometimes I iron the pillowcases with lavender water just because...  haven't been shopping for a long time so I'm not sure if they are still available...

Books:  I've been a long time fan of the Mrs. Pollifax series,   & for years only a few have been available on Kindle...  they finally released the rest & those are my go to for reading before I attempt to sleep...  love reading on my paper white, doesn't keep DH awake as it has an adjustable back light...  & adjustable font for my middle aged eyes ;)  I'm going to look into the Gurnsey series :)

Camping, hmmm...  does hiking all day & then staying at a five star hotel count?

fashion & shopping wise:  while I love fashion & clothes, I hate shopping...  I'm mostly an online shopper...  & today I actually purchased a pair of shoes from an Instagram ad...  they are called "Birdies"  & are a flat mule style in leopard calf hair...  sounds like they won't arrive for a month, & I have literally no where to wear them, but if our trip in May can happen they will be perfect....

https://birdies.com/products/womens-slides-phoebe-cheetah-calf-hair?variant=28892039577680

& finally, food:   last night after paddle boarding we stopped at Gelsons & bought their precooked lamb shanks in mushroom sauce & grilled artichoke salad... sooo good!

Well, back to work :)  stay safe everyone

• Like 1

Man, I remember Gelson's!!!  The prepared food section was amazing.  Nothing like that around here.  

No, staying at a 5-star hotel and hiking does not count as "camping".   I could do that here from where I used to work!!

I was too lazy to do my chicken last night, so I have to do it tonight.  I'm not a fan of ranch dressing, so I'm going to replace the "ranch dressing powder" with some other spices.  I forgot it at the store, anyway!!   

If you're looking for a nice little Riesling for a Summer evening sip, go find the Hogue Columbia Valley Riesling.  It's from Washington state and should cost between $9-$12.  It's been my go-to for years.  Not sweet, but has a nice fruit taste going on.  I keep a bottle in my fridge all summer long.   Between this one and the Hecht & Bannier Rosé from Provence that my sommelier friend turned me on to last year, I'm a happy camper.

Nothing else going on tonight.  Still Red Flag weather conditions up here. 

Cruisekitty. I’m an Emily Pollifax fan as well, I reread them (again) when I was recuperating. 

I made my version of chicken escarole soup in my crockpot today. Les has been working hard on the bedroom walls, starts floors tomorrow. He actually let me do all the tape & cut in work then he came in & rolled away. Felt good to DO something, but am I ever sore!  Melody

Hi girls, I found another recipe for spaghetti squash and  it is better than the other one I had found.😀

It is also a casserole but I just liked it better.   Had a 1/2 cup sour cream in it, mushrooms and onions too,

along with 1 egg and cheese.  It came together beautifully.  Oh, minced garlic is in it as well.  Really tasted

delicious😀 and I think the egg made a difference---binded it all together.  It baked more evenly.  Golden brown.......the cheese in the middle of it was a mixture of 3 chedders.......yum!

And I added grated parm on the top with paprika.   

Hi Debbie, good to see you again!

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Man, I remember Gelson's!!!  The prepared food section was amazing.  Nothing like that around here.  

No, staying at a 5-star hotel and hiking does not count as "camping".   I could do that here from where I used to work!!

I was too lazy to do my chicken last night, so I have to do it tonight.  I'm not a fan of ranch dressing, so I'm going to replace the "ranch dressing powder" with some other spices.  I forgot it at the store, anyway!!   

If you're looking for a nice little Riesling for a Summer evening sip, go find the Hogue Columbia Valley Riesling.  It's from Washington state and should cost between $9-$12.  It's been my go-to for years.  Not sweet, but has a nice fruit taste going on.  I keep a bottle in my fridge all summer long.   Between this one and the Hecht & Bannier Rosé from Provence that my sommelier friend turned me on to last year, I'm a happy camper.

Nothing else going on tonight.  Still Red Flag weather conditions up here. 

yeah, I'm definitely a wimp when it comes to the idea of camping...  & thanks for the Reisling recommendation :)  my kids lived in Richland for a while (DD works at the PNNL)   but commutes now  (well, now she's working from home like the rest of us)  I remember the area was surrounded by wineries :)

35 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Cruisekitty. I’m an Emily Pollifax fan as well, I reread them (again) when I was recuperating. 

I made my version of chicken escarole soup in my crockpot today. Les has been working hard on the bedroom walls, starts floors tomorrow. He actually let me do all the tape & cut in work then he came in & rolled away. Felt good to DO something, but am I ever sore!  Melody

Hi Melody,  I was thrilled for them to be available :)   & there's nothing like a freshly painted room,   so nice & fresh & clean :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, I found another recipe for spaghetti squash and  it is better than the other one I had found.😀

It is also a casserole but I just liked it better.   Had a 1/2 cup sour cream in it, mushrooms and onions too,

along with 1 egg and cheese.  It came together beautifully.  Oh, minced garlic is in it as well.  Really tasted

delicious😀 and I think the egg made a difference---binded it all together.  It baked more evenly.  Golden brown.......the cheese in the middle of it was a mixture of 3 chedders.......yum!

And I added grated parm on the top with paprika.   

Hi Debbie, good to see you again!

Lois, good to see you again too :)   I am making mushroom ravioli right now,  but may try your recipe on another night, sounds so good...love creamy sauces 

Hi all.

Well, I made the chicken last night.  Meh.  Chicken breast + mozzarella = bland.  Even pan frying it in the bacon grease (just a little) really didn't add anything.  I used my South African Smoke Spice to try to add the flavor, but it really didn't.  Oh well, the bacon was tasty (black forest from the meat counter at Whole Foods).   On to other keto recipes.   I have to remember to take out one of my ahi tuna steaks from the freezer tonight to thaw and marinate for dinner tomorrow.  Marinating it in Spicy Peanut Dressing overnight and then just searing it to put in my Asian salad tomorrow.  

Today is the first non-Red Flag Warning day in awhile.  But, we are just downgraded to "Fire Weather Watch"  through Thursday.  Still really low humidity - single digits.  But, the temp is tolerable - 81 for the high.  

Nothing going on.  OOTD:  The good ole' gray hoodie minidress.  Good for in the house on a hot day.  

18 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I'm a HUGE fan of Silver Lake Riesling.... a little hard to find, reasonably priced.

I found 4 bottles of it a few weeks ago, felt like I’d found a gold mine!!!  They also had Conundrum Red Blend (on sale) my absolute favorite (made by Caymus)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I found 4 bottles of it a few weeks ago, felt like I’d found a gold mine!!!  They also had Conundrum Red Blend (on sale) my absolute favorite (made by Caymus)

Conundrum is good when I can find it.  Problem of a state with a state-controlled liquor store.  My go-to red is silly little Santa Cristina Toscana.  A red that satisfies my love of Brunello without the $60 price tag.  The sommelier from Stein Eriksen Lodge turned me on to this on - a good Italian Red at an awesome price point.  I've got a bottle laying on my kitchen counter right now.  

Next time I venture to the liquor store (needs to be a time where there is NO waiting outside the building), I'll take a look for Silver Lake Riesling.  I see that there are 3 - Sweet, Dry, Rosa.  Which one?  

• Like 1

Kat I like the dry Riesling. Never go to Rose (as even the essence if strawberry makes me itch). I’ll look for the red. I like Italian reds. If you have a Cheers by you they have Conundrum red for $22 & the white for $16. The white is a nice blend