for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

Kat...I like to add a splash or two or three of a good balsamic to sautéed mushrooms too.

I've done that too.  But, my brain was fixated on cognac last night,

Lois - I think brine if for tenderness/juiciness and marinating is for flavor.   

Anita - if you get down into "old" Cocoa Beach (around Atlantic & Minuteman), hit up Tiny Turtle for a meal.  Husband and wife run it.  Amazing Caribbean food.  Love the Sofrito Bowls.  And an out of this world grilled cheese and tomato soup combo.  Right now, it's just takeout.  But, after that meal, walk next door to The Fat Donkey for ice cream.  Some of the best I've had outside of the gelato I get from my spot in Florence!  I got in trouble with that spot - it's only 2 blocks from my friend's beach cottage!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

On a happier note, I just used one of the refunds from one of our cruises to buy E-Bikes!   I've had my eye on them for several years now, & never pulled the trigger.   I was on a waiting list for when a new model was released,  & lo & behold, with the discount code, they add up to almost exactly the credit amount on one of cards 🙂

They probably won't arrive until October, but that's just in time for our 34th anniversary which clearly will not be as planned lol

Nice!

The refund for my April (!!) cruise FINALLY came through, but like a good mom I used most of it to buy some furniture for son's condo, which he bought just about the time COVID shut everything down...

• Like 2

OMG! More yummy food to contemplate. Have never had anything brined. Will pay more attention when I see it offered.

Just received an alert that our power could be shut off for an hour or two and the alert will last until Thursday.  No actual shut off yet but we live in fear now! It’s currently 106 outside! I did run the dishwasher and did 4 loads of laundry so we are good for awhile-well except for the heat! We bought 2 battery fans from Amazon and they are all charged up.Mophie is charged so I can keep the cell phone going. Of course there is no place to go with  a/c because of all the closures.

It could be worse. We have family in a Cedar Rapids, IA and they are still dealing with the aftermath of that unusual storm. It was a week ago and power is still out as is land line service, internet and cell service is spotty. Downed trees everywhere. They said it was like a hurricane. They are using a generator to run the frig and fans. Thankful that they are all ok with no structural damage.

Again. No make up etc!

Sharon

Debbie,  I echo your comments about living a normal life. We too see others doing just that and it’s hard to watch especially when we have no idea when we will once again be joining them. We also pretty much limit ourselves to grocery stores and take out pick up.  Oh and my hair cut.

Cynthia, I bet your son is very appreciative of your gift and hopefully you will also be able to enjoy the furniture when you visit him.

Melody, wishing you a successful treatment tomorrow. You have certainly had more than your share of medical issues.

To everyone on this thread, stay cool and safe

Sharon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've done that too.  But, my brain was fixated on cognac last night,

Lois - I think brine if for tenderness/juiciness and marinating is for flavor.   

Anita - if you get down into "old" Cocoa Beach (around Atlantic & Minuteman), hit up Tiny Turtle for a meal.  Husband and wife run it.  Amazing Caribbean food.  Love the Sofrito Bowls.  And an out of this world grilled cheese and tomato soup combo.  Right now, it's just takeout.  But, after that meal, walk next door to The Fat Donkey for ice cream.  Some of the best I've had outside of the gelato I get from my spot in Florence!  I got in trouble with that spot - it's only 2 blocks from my friend's beach cottage!

Kay, I am  intrigued by the idea of brining a pork chop, would you be willing to share how?  
We have not been to the Tiny Turtle but have driven by it many times, may give it try. 
There is a Fat Donkey in our area, Eau Gallie and A1A.  It is, so far at least, the best ice cream I have had in Florida!

Sherri🙂

Cooked the chicken caprese tonight, so good!  Grilled the chicken then melted a piece of mozzarella placed the thick cut tomato. Les has his on rotini pasta, I has mine on baby spinach (with more balsamic...Les doesn’t like balsamic). Tasty & really easy. We have enough for another dinner!  Melody

559DB1DD-3CBA-4E15-94E6-C86E470027CC.jpeg

570FFA28-07FB-47F2-8A25-827A6F9B409C.jpeg

E3C38E04-9217-47D7-B7F2-83D98F9D1CE2.jpeg

• Like 1

Good morning,  Melody.........it looks FANTASTIC😀

Sherri, brining is normally when you put spices on whatever meat you making and then putting it in a container and let it sit in that container (COVERED)........for x amount of hours........I would be interested to know what

Kat's recipe is too🙂 the container can be a plastic sealed bag as well.  

• Like 1

Hi again,  I wanted to know more about brining too so I decided to use Google and of course there is plenty of

information.

Here are a couple of choices.....looks pretty easy and Kat, you are correct, supposed to give the meat alot of moisture/tenderness.

https://food52.com/recipes/30799-simple-brine-for-pork-chops

https://www.pork.org/cooking/how-to/brine-pork-chops/

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi again,  I wanted to know more about brining too so I decided to use Google and of course there is plenty of

information.

Here are a couple of choices.....looks pretty easy and Kat, you are correct, supposed to give the meat alot of moisture/tenderness.

https://food52.com/recipes/30799-simple-brine-for-pork-chops

https://www.pork.org/cooking/how-to/brine-pork-chops/

Thanks, Lois, I may have to give this a try.  

Sherri🙂

Hi Sherri, all the recipes I read showed whatever the meat is----needs to be brining for a long period of time.

Many say to leave it for 24 hours.........

Let us know what you make🙂

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Thanks, Lois, I may have to give this a try.  

Sherri🙂

Lois beat me to it!  I didn't brine myself - Whole Foods had them for sale already brined.  But, it does seem really easy.  It's mostly 1qt water with 4TBL salt or 1/2 salt&sugar.   I'll do it myself next time.  I may ask the guys at the meat counter what they use for their brine.   As far as the time, I've seen every time from 2 hours to overnight.  Just be sure to wipe the chops dry before you cook.  

The Fat Donkey!  My favorite flavor is the Mai Kai Coconut.  It goes really fast, so my second one is Cake 'n Batter.  I'll treat myself to a single in a waffle cone.    If they could ship like the Penn State Creamery does, I'd order weekly!!!!

As for the Tiny Turtle - run by a great couple.  Definitely worth supporting.  

That was one of the best things about my friend's cottage - within a couple of easy blocks, those two places plus Fat Kahuna (nice little semi-fine dining), Coconuts on the Beach (when you want to have a fun bar experience on the beach), The Heidelberg (good live jazz/blues)  and some others.   I could walk to/from there easily, even at night.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Hi Kat,.........I misunderstood then.......I thought you had brined them too.

I forgot, I had my 3 month GP check up today....my A1C was 5.9🙂 I am happy with that number  and so is my Doc!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Nice!

The refund for my April (!!) cruise FINALLY came through, but like a good mom I used most of it to buy some furniture for son's condo, which he bought just about the time COVID shut everything down...

What a good mom you are :)    One of our SIL's B'Day is coming up in about 10 days, & while I love him, I spent all the $$ on me lol :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Melody - I  spaced on writing a "thank god" that your seroma was drained.  That has to be a relief.  Hope thing progress fast and well from here on out! 

Now to work on the scar tissue!!!

• Like 1

Nothing going on today.  

Note to self: when I go to the market, I have to remember to get things to eat for lunch!  I remember my breakfast stuff and dinner stuff, but when I look at my fridge, I suddenly remember I got NOTHING for lunch...  

I think I'll settle in tonight with my leftover pork chop, asparagus and mushrooms and watch the Convention.   NOT POLITICAL:  It was pretty cool to see the virtual Roll Call and see what each state/territory/commonwealth came up with!  Rhode Island Calamari!!!  

Many of you saw my tie-dye hiking boots that I bought last year (limited edition Merrell Chameleon Goretex).  Well the boots just new "friends" that I'll wear when I take off the boots!  Chaco Chillos.  I think my Old Hippie Lady title is secure with these.

(the orange is my sleeping bag).

IMG_0752.JPG

• Like 4

Hi Kat & Melody :)  Kat, I love your tie-dye hippie style :)  I tend to be very blah when it comes to colors or prints...  the nice thing about masks is that it's allowed me to branch out into wearing some prints & colors (at least on my masks)

I'm having "one of those days"  can't get motivated....  should be working right now, but part of me feels like what's the point?  (actually, a paycheck is the point $$)   

I had to go into the office the other day (alone)  & it was so weird....I know I went in once since this all started, but honestly can't remember when that was... anyhow, my wall calendar & desk calendar still were on March, & as I tore off the months that have gone by, I could see all my notes of "plans"  cruises that didn't happen, birthday plans, lunches, celebrations,  I guess that's why I feel a little out of sorts today

fashion wise:  I am wearing a tank top that says "Coffee"  & my trusty flannel boxers (yes, I have not gotten out of pj's :(  hair in braid cause it hasn't been cut since January I think....  I did, however, wash my face & brush my teeth :)

also on topic:  Kat, I did end up buying something on the garnet hill EF sale,  the organic cotton jersey round neck dress,  it'll be perfect for work & if we get to travel next year, for our cruise :)

hope everyone else is doing well :)

-Debbie

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I thought the roll call was awesome as well.😀.......they did an excellent job and most of the people were

"normal citizens"..........very good concept and they pulled off a good production!

• Like 1