P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We have magpies that wake me up too. I loathe the horrible noise they make. Our  one year old grandson says ‘tweet tweet tree’ when he hears birds, but the other day he started making his monkey noise pointing to the trees, took me a while to realise he could hear the magpies.😂

The magpies can be very entertaining. We often watch them as they gang up on the cats or crows, dive bombing them and squawking to keep them away from their nests.

Avril

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

The magpies can be very entertaining. We often watch them as they gang up on the cats or crows, dive bombing them and squawking to keep them away from their nests.

Avril

We have a visiting magpie who dunks his chunks of bread in the bird bath to soften them up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We have magpies that wake me up too. I loathe the horrible noise they make. Our  one year old grandson says ‘tweet tweet tree’ when he hears birds, but the other day he started making his monkey noise pointing to the trees, took me a while to realise he could hear the magpies.😂

Bless him! I hate the magpies noise too! And crows! The magpies are often squawking in a tree outside my home office- very annoying! We have so many sparrows in our back garden though 😊

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Our magpies aren’t as entertaining as yours 😂 they’re just very loud

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

According to The Times today, thousands of VIPs will be allowed into England with no need to quarantine under plans to stop the final of the European Championship being moved from Wembley to Budapest.

Ministers are apparently discussing a proposal which would exempt Uefa and Fifa officials, politicians, sponsors and broadcasters from having to self-isolate on arrival despite concerns that this could lead to an increase in coronavirus infections and provoke a backlash from the public.

Wonderful!  Yet another boost to the Delta strain. Where do they get these people from?

Today I emailed my MP objecting to any special treatment being given to these people.

Maybe everyone who objects should do the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But were we not warned that the wind down of furlough would lead to a huge rise in unemployment. If that's the case then a little suggestion that unemployment benefit would cease after beneficiaries turned down 3 job offers, should more than adequately alleviate these shortages.

And how does your "plan" suddenly find thousands of qualified HGV drivers ? 

You are don't seem to be aware of the dependence on foreign drivers in the UK transport industry pre-Brexit. 

https://www.ft.com/content/4d6b3be1-627e-4784-afc5-91da326cabdc

Edited by wowzz

Well, that's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. As an England fan I almost wanted Scotland to score. The Scots were driven and passionate and England were, as usual, pedestrian. London was overtaken yesterday both in and out of Wembley. Reports on LBC which broadcasts from Leicester Square say it was good humoured, fun, and very very wet. Seemingly most of the guys and girls were wet through - in and out - and we're going to the game in soaking wet clothes. Good on them for having a good time but God knows what that will do for the virus.

Teddy has been discharged. He still has a small section on his wound that's taking a bit longer to heal but the vet was happy to discharge him and he is so much better - and fatter!

I am so sorry for those of us who have been disappointed and let down by the cancellations. I really feel for you all and hope you can find some last minute alternatives - and get your refunds promptly. 

Life in general practice is almost back to normal. Our patients are as pleased to see us with open doors as we are to welcome them back.  Busy doesn't even cover the half of it though. We're still doing a lot of phone and video consultations which seems to be the new way for the working population, leaving the face to face appointments for the more needy and the children. 

I hope you are all set for a good weekend so enjoy it and be well and safe. Best wishes to all. Jane.x

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

If you cut in to individual portions, it freezes very well. 

Sis

We take them out whole as presents sis.We're too late now because of the travel restrictions.After Christmas there was sod all left anyway this year along with the boxes of Quality street that we normally take and are usually reduced,cheers,bro.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well, that's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. As an England fan I almost wanted Scotland to score. The Scots were driven and passionate and England were, as usual, pedestrian. London was overtaken yesterday both in and out of Wembley. Reports on LBC which broadcasts from Leicester Square say it was good humoured, fun, and very very wet. Seemingly most of the guys and girls were wet through - in and out - and we're going to the game in soaking wet clothes. Good on them for having a good time but God knows what that will do for the virus.

Teddy has been discharged. He still has a small section on his wound that's taking a bit longer to heal but the vet was happy to discharge him and he is so much better - and fatter!

I am so sorry for those of us who have been disappointed and let down by the cancellations. I really feel for you all and hope you can find some last minute alternatives - and get your refunds promptly. 

Life in general practice is almost back to normal. Our patients are as pleased to see us with open doors as we are to welcome them back.  Busy doesn't even cover the half of it though. We're still doing a lot of phone and video consultations which seems to be the new way for the working population, leaving the face to face appointments for the more needy and the children. 

I hope you are all set for a good weekend so enjoy it and be well and safe. Best wishes to all. Jane.x

Glad Teddy has even discharged at last, he sounds well on the way to recovery.

We have the in-laws staying this weekend which is nice, they are lovely people and great company. They have brought their dog too who unfortunately isn’t doing great health wise. He is a whippet, 14 years old and the vet says sadly is nearing the end of his life. He is still going for walks but sleeping lots in between. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Great to hear Teddy almost mended. You do know he will now expect to be fed like a Prince every day from now on…….😂

Gill x

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Glad Teddy has even discharged at last, he sounds well on the way to recovery.

We have the in-laws staying this weekend which is nice, they are lovely people and great company. They have brought their dog too who unfortunately isn’t doing great health wise. He is a whippet, 14 years old and the vet says sadly is nearing the end of his life. He is still going for walks but sleeping lots in between. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Michelle 

Have a lovely time with them Michelle and ah, bless the little whippet. Jane.x

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Great to hear Teddy almost mended. You do know he will now expect to be fed like a Prince every day from now on…….😂

Gill x

Thanks Gill. Yes I know - his food bill is higher than mine now! Have a great weekend. Jane.x

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Looks like it’s time to stock up on those baked beans!  Weren’t we promised that this wouldn’t happen?

Food shortages now ‘inevitable’ due to labour crisis, industry warns | News | The Grocer

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supermarkets/food-shortages-now-inevitable-due-to-labour-crisis-industry-warns/657227.article

We have a box of essentials which we have kept stocked for a year, much of it the gluten free produce for my wife, we have had to dip into it a few times when unable to get items, plus were cycle the items to ensure use by dates are not missed, we have a spreadsheet on the back of the cupboard door  (nerdy I know, but what do you expect after 35 years working in IT)

• Like 3

Good news about Teddy, sad news about the whippet.  I love them.  Why are our pets so short-lived; it’s the great sadness about sharing your life with a companion animal but it’s a fact.  It’s the trade-off.

Cool here this morning, but dry.  Our son is coming for an overnighter tonight.  🤞for dry weather early evening so we can eat out together.  If it rains it will be a takeaway and (more 🙄) TV footie

Watching the infection etc figures closely.  I’m not informed enough to interpret them and even those who can seem to be undecided about where we are.  Is it ‘lots of cases but few deaths and serious illness - we’re going to be alright’? or is it ‘lot’s of cases, things look serious, here comes another wave’?  It feels like we’re at a serious place and desperately need to make the right decision

… aargh - serious stuff for a weekend.  Have a good one everybody 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

We have a box of essentials which we have kept stocked for a year, much of it the gluten free produce for my wife, we have had to dip into it a few times when unable to get items, plus were cycle the items to ensure use by dates are not missed, we have a spreadsheet on the back of the cupboard door  (nerdy I know, but what do you expect after 35 years working in IT)

We’ve never bothered in the past, but relying entirely on supermarket deliveries changes things, and missing items are potentially a big problem - particularly if you need a gluten free diet, or something similar.

More and more frequently, common items are suddenly unavailable, and I find it difficult to contain my resentment towards the people who caused this.

My friends in Chesham and Amersham probably felt the same on Thursday.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Went through my local churchyard on my walk yesterday, number of locations where there were feathers scattered, including what seemed to be remnants of a magpie. This morning I saw a female sparrow hawk attack a magpie on the roof of a building opposite, the magpie got away, lost a few feathers in the process. Suspect she is responsible for the feather deposits, although we do have a pair of resident buzzards nesting nearby, the crows in the trees get very restless when they are about.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Good morning hope everyone is ok today :classic_mellow:  Oh dear the football was a bit low key

last night at least Scotland looked up for it. I'm wishing I had gone to our local vaccination

centre , at least I would have seen some shots actually going in :classic_unsure: I see this week we have

June 21st which is the longest day. Likely to be four weeks long due to the restrictions:classic_mellow:.

Strange and changing world  I took a steady walk to our local shop as we needed a couple 

of bottles of milk. The shop assistant was unreal  “Would you like the milk in a bag," ...
 “No, just leave it in the bottle for me thanks ’”  :classic_unsure: I don't know what your all up to today

whether it be watering your garden or pumping it out have a good day and take care and 

stay safe .:classic_love:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

This morning I saw a female sparrow hawk attack a magpie on the roof of a building opposite, the magpie got away, lost a few feathers in the process. Suspect she is responsible for the feather deposits, although we do have a pair of resident buzzards nesting nearby, the crows in the trees get very restless when they are about.

Earlier this week I posted about a sparrow hawk dropping in for lunch in our garden .

I think it was a day later that we spotted a red kite just gliding and circling around at 

a fair height . We wasn't the only one's to spot them a couple of crows saw them and 

were like a couple of mini euro fighters and went up and mobbed it until it moved on .

• Like 2

Still no rain here in South Cheshire. Yesterday the forecast was for a rainy Sunday now none forecast in the next 2 weeks except Friday with only 20% chance (according to BBC weather). Grass (and moss) will be well brown by then if forecast doesn't change, I'm not into watering gardens it's survival of the fittest in my garden except for patio plants and herbs in pots.

Strange supporting England last night, at the same time I was urging on Adams and then Armstrong to do well for Scotland as I'm a Southampton supporter.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Still no rain here in South Cheshire. Yesterday the forecast was for a rainy Sunday now none forecast in the next 2 weeks except Friday with only 20% chance (according to BBC weather). Grass (and moss) will be well brown by then if forecast doesn't change, I'm not into watering gardens it's survival of the fittest in my garden except for patio plants and herbs in pots.

Strange supporting England last night, at the same time I was urging on Adams and then Armstrong to do well for Scotland as I'm a Southampton supporter.

Unsurprisingly, your weather in South Cheshire is the same as ours in North Staffordshire. Just hoping the forecast is wrong because we need a sustained downpour, just not at dog waking time though. 
As a Stoke City season ticket holder, I didn’t have divided loyalties last night although I have to say as an Englishman, I am disappointed Scotland didn’t win because as has become the norm for England, they never looked as though they wanted to win although they always seem to think they have a divine right to do so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Unsurprisingly, your weather in South Cheshire is the same as ours in North Staffordshire. Just hoping the forecast is wrong because we need a sustained downpour, just not at dog waking time though. 
As a Stoke City season ticket holder, I didn’t have divided loyalties last night although I have to say as an Englishman, I am disappointed Scotland didn’t win because as has become the norm for England, they never looked as though they wanted to win although they always seem to think they have a divine right to do so.

Yesterday the rain was tantalisingly just to the east of Uttoxeter for much of the day but never came further our way. Tracked it here: Weather Radar - Live UK Rainfall Radar | Netweather

Have popped along the A500 many times to The Britannia as an away supporter when Southampton are in the same league as Stoke.