River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

I saw on the news that in the US we essentially didn't have a flu season because of the Covid precautions.  February is normally peak flu season.  

What about Canada, Germany, England and any other countries we have represented in this forum?

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

I saw on the news that in the US we essentially didn't have a flu season because of the Covid precautions.  February is normally peak flu season.  

What about Canada, Germany, England and any other countries we have represented in this forum?

Funny you should ask that, as I was going to write about this yesterday and forgot. It said in the news that in parts of Germany the flu was down to a sixtieth, so not a decrease of 60 percent, rather where they expected 60 cases statistically there was only one! We all knew it was going to be far fewer cases, but that was unexpected. It seems that having no crowded New Year's Eve concerts, mask.wearing on public transport and no kissing strangers at Carnival (disgusting anyway IMO) just to name a few things has helped.

Even if I do not have to I think I will wear a mask next winter.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I spent some time in Tokyo all the way back in 1992.  Masks were commonplace.  When you went to convenience type stores there were masks available for about 1 yen.  You would even see them in vending machines at subway and rail stations.  I asked why they wore them and the answer I got was the people are so respectful of other people that when they even had a cold or other illness they would wear a mask.  It's just part of their culture.

• Like 2

You know all the "anniversaries" of sorts, like the first Covid-19 this, the first Covid-19 that. The good and the mostly terrible. I have my own little CC and Covid-19 anniversary today. If it wasn't for this board I think I would forget timelines quickly. Due to the posts in the thread on the Rhine I have a record how things evolved. Today is the anniversary of my first post on the Coronavirus (not yet at that point) pandemic. It sounds quite benign still and tentative, little could I know what would happen soon after. Here is the post. I wrote on 28 February 2020: quote

"Coronavirus along the Rhine

Yes, it is so close to us, directly or indirectly, that is something I need to watch professionally as I work in a public space connected with tourism and of course prefer to check upon for my safety and those of my loved ones.

I do not want to scare anyone, but the implications are here along the Rhine. Let us start.

Switzerland has banned all large events where more than a thousand people are expected to attend. This not only affects fairs and a motor show but also leads to cancellations of some Carnival events in Basel (they celebrate later in Switzerland than in Germany).

Deutsche Welle gives a regular update on news around the world and Germany with regional details. https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-updates-stock-markets-fall-as-cases-spread/a-52566672

In the case of the husband and wife in North-Rhine Westphalia there is no trace of the person who infected them. The region where those quarantined live does not border on the Rhine. The experts appear to expect more cases as the man attended a Carnival event last week.

In Hesse cases have now been confirmed. Hesse borders on the Rhine but I have further no details on the cases.

In the case of the soldier in a hospital in Koblenz, his contact persons have been traced and isolated. Rhineland-Palatine also has another case.

Further cases have been confirmed in other regions of Germany. Most could be traced back to travels in Northern Italy.

Some supermarkets reports increased sales of non-perishable food. And the anti-bacterial hand wash is selling out in places.

A bit on the legal things. As regards cancelling local events in Germany the authority lies with the states, the federal government in Berlin issues advice on how they should act only.

notamermaid"

unquote

I will not bore you with further entries that followed in the weeks after. Just this much: I told you of fairs having been cancelled, the risk assessment having been set to moderate by our officials, on 4 March Germany declared it a worldwide pandemic (ahead of the WHO), on 6 March there were 100,000 cases worldwide ...

Now, one year later, Germany has announced that the region Moselle in France is a zone of concern for the Coronavirus variant and from Tuesday we will have a quasi shut border - again.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Boy time flies when you think about it.  A year ago you posted the original covid thread and now a year later not much has changed.  As we look forward let's  hope we get back to normal conditions this summer.  Cheers 

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You know all the "anniversaries" of sorts, like the first Covid-19 this, the first Covid-19 that. The good and the mostly terrible. I have my own little CC and Covid-19 anniversary today. If it wasn't for this board I think I would forget timelines quickly. Due to the posts in the thread on the Rhine I have a record how things evolved. Today is the anniversary of my first post on the Coronavirus (not yet at that point) pandemic. It sounds quite benign still and tentative, little could I know what would happen soon after. Here is the post. I wrote on 28 February 2020: quote

This week last year - I cancelled a month's vacation in Europe that was going to start at the end of April to celebrate my 50'th birthday. I had taken care of a parent for 20 years and while I did manage to get a few vacations in - I missed celebrating my 30th and 40th birthday due to her illnesses/surgeries. So my 50'th was going to be a big celebration for me. 11 months later I have eaten at a restaurant 1x and have not traveled beyond 50 miles of my house. On my birthday - I got take out.

I would never have thought this would ever happen. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, rothbury said:

I spent some time in Tokyo all the way back in 1992.  Masks were commonplace.  When you went to convenience type stores there were masks available for about 1 yen.  You would even see them in vending machines at subway and rail stations.  I asked why they wore them and the answer I got was the people are so respectful of other people that when they even had a cold or other illness they would wear a mask.  It's just part of their culture.

I remember seeing several masks worn when I went to Japan also. I think it was 2006.

15 minutes ago, Coral said:

This week last year - I cancelled a month's vacation in Europe that was going to start at the end of April to celebrate my 50'th birthday. I had taken care of a parent for 20 years and while I did manage to get a few vacations in - I missed celebrating my 30th and 40th birthday due to her illnesses/surgeries. So my 50'th was going to be a big celebration for me. 11 months later I have eaten at a restaurant 1x and have not traveled beyond 50 miles of my house. On my birthday - I got take out.

I would never have thought this would ever happen. 

My goodness. I am really sorry. I am sure you have posted that about the cancellation, but I had forgotten. It would have been such a great trip.

I am a Spring baby, so I celebrated my birthday in lock down last year. With four people, managed to buy some cake and was given a couple of vouchers - all the shops were closed. Since then, yes, I have travelled, been abroad for four hours - nearest country Luxembourg is just about three hours drive away. I am not a big traveller, but my plans for last year were France for a long weekend and twice to the UK. None of it took place. The UK seems like a world away.

Yesterday I had a shopping trip to a supermarket that I have not been to for a long time. I found some Wensleydale cheese with cranberries, I hadn't expected the shop to stock it. It is from the North of England and one of my favourites. I nearly started crying, I just about managed to order from the lady at the cheese counter. Not seeing my dear people in England and not being able to shop for the things I love eating is really getting to me.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Our first "holiday" that got cancelled was Easter (sad to miss the family, but it was my turn to host so not overly sad about missing out on all the cooking).  So many family celebrations this year (special anniversaries, retirement, special birthdays etc), but hopefully soon we will be able to catch up.  It's going to be a big party when we do!  

We have done an outdoor patio once, and indoor dining once - restaurant was empty, one other table and us - so it will be something to look forward to.  We live to far to get take out so I am getting to the "this is what you are eating, as it's what i feel like cooking" stage.

One day.... 🙂

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

My goodness. I am really sorry. I am sure you have posted that about the cancellation, but I had forgotten. It would have been such a great trip.

I know I am not the only one..... I probably didn't post here as it was a transatlantic cruise and then Europe ending in Paris. I did post that recently when someone posted a Paris picture. I had planned to spend 4 days after my cruise there. I have not been. I wanted to be gone over my birthday in April but not necessarily in Europe over my birthday as April is rainy. So I was leaving FLL right before my birthday and was going to use the sea days to relax after a crazy semester. Little did I realize how crazy the semester and world would get. The Louvre had just shut down and I was fearful that things would get worse in Europe while on the transatlantic cruise and I would get stuck. I cancelled first and then the cruise line cancelled a week later.

I will be able to make up a trip later. I work in Education and feel for those high school seniors who missed important events (prom, graduation), the college freshman who had to start college under these conditions, etc.. I have a friend whose son is graduating from Harvard Law soon and think how sad it is to get into that school and have to attend it via COVID which is probably via Zoom. Another friend has a daughter who majors in French and must study abroad for her degree. She can't graduate until she does. Technically she can do a virtual internship but who wants to do that.... Everyone's life drastically changed.

• Like 1

Coral, I can relate to your post.  I have a grand daughter who graduated high school last may via virtual ceremony.   she did not have her senior prom, her senior trip to the phillipines was cancelled, and she started her freshman year at college via zoom in her dorm room.  She left campus in sept; due to all the campus dining facilities were just about shut down; and  felt she could learn just as easy from home.  The college refunded her dorm and food allowance.  It was a very different year for many of us.

My 9 year old grandson has a weekly zoom get together with his school class just as a get together he has got us sorting small boy jokes for him to tell. It’s amazing what we’ve all learnt during lock down. Mind you I’m no seriously cheesed off I’ve finally realised that our 50TH wedding anniversary celebrations will have to be postponed we were of course going to cruise. Never mind we can still dream 😴 CA

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Coral, I can relate to your post.  I have a grand daughter who graduated high school last may via virtual ceremony.   she did not have her senior prom, her senior trip to the phillipines was cancelled, and she started her freshman year at college via zoom in her dorm room.  She left campus in sept; due to all the campus dining facilities were just about shut down; and  felt she could learn just as easy from home.  The college refunded her dorm and food allowance.  It was a very different year for many of us.

That was probably the right decision - to have her live at home. These students should have an amazing experience at college and they are so limited. Hopefully in the fall - things will be back to near normal. 

• Like 1

So I'm glad that I can add a happier post to these anniversary posts:  tomorrow DW and I get our first Moderna vaccine shots!  The light at the end of the tunnel! [at least for us – and please do NOT tell me all the reasons why this isn't the end of the story...]  We're prepared to get a booster shot for the new variants at the end of the summer, and resume traveling with a trans-Mediterranean cruise in late September.

• Like 4

@Host Jazzbeau you two have a good day. Good to read our host will be protected. 

The ease of mind that comes already with the first shot is a wonderful feeling.

I was surprised how good it felt for me when I knew that my elderly relative was getting some protection.

Eagerly awaiting my other relatives becoming eligible.

notamermaid

Got the Moderna 2 hours ago.  The 15 minute post-evaluation went fine.  Keeping hydrated and plan on a quiet evening.  [I have to be functional enough to teach a class on Jazz history tomorrow!]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

The news that one jab is cutting the hospitalisation instances by up to 80% is wonderful long may it continue. CA

Indeed. And the newly approved (in the US) Johnson & Johnson vaccine while not quite as effective as the others also does the trick. That is what we wanted - no deaths and fewer hospitalisations. We should be happy, not cause unnecessary disputes over individual percentages in the 1 to 10 percent range. The new achievement of mRNA vaccines that can be altered quickly is fantastic. Yesterday a health expert said in the US "I would take any approved vaccine that was offered to me".

By the way, achievement. The couple that created the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine will be honoured by the German government: https://www.dw.com/en/biontech-founders-receive-one-of-germanys-highest-honors/a-56716311

Tomorrow is the big day for Germany, video conference in Berlin. Discussions about 8 March, continued lock down or easing a bit?

notamermaid

Not looking too good. Draft paper available to the press says lock down will likely be extended till 28 March. We may get some shops back.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:39 PM, notamermaid said:

Now, one year later, Germany has announced that the region Moselle in France is a zone of concern for the Coronavirus variant and from Tuesday we will have a quasi shut border - again.

Thankfully, although it is the South Africa variant, Germany has decided to keep the border a little bit more open than at the Czech Republic. No public transport, but they are a bit easier on the individual traffic. It means my neighbour can return when he has had a negative Covid-19 test.

notamermaid