River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Today the Texas governor lifted all restrictions on businesses declaring everything 100% open.  No masks required.  

I’m happy about about the opening of businesses.  So many have suffered great financial loss.  I have felt all along that people should take the risks they were comfortable with.  But not so sure I’m okay with no mask requirements.  It forces those of us who have chosen not to get the vaccine yet to rethink it.  We may be even more at risk now to go anywhere. We will continue to wear masks.

I’m going to have to think about this for a while.

11 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Today the Texas governor lifted all restrictions on businesses declaring everything 100% open.  No masks required.  

Saw this announced this evening. A bit shocked to be honest. Sounds too bold.

Stay safe.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Yikes! 😮  The no mask thing is premature, IMO.

I just got back from my first shot.  I had to sit for 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes afterwards because of a penicillin allergy.  My 2nd shot is scheduled for exactly 3 wks. from today.  The hardest part of the whole process was finding my way from the parking garage to the room where the shots were being administered, and then back to the garage.  The whole Vanderbilt University & Medical Center complex is SO confusing.  God help you if you enter the wrong garage or take the wrong elevator.  It could be days before someone finds you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

I just got back from my first shot.  I had to sit for 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes afterwards because of a penicillin allergy.  My 2nd shot is scheduled for exactly 3 wks. from today.  The hardest part of the whole process was finding my way from the parking garage to the room where the shots were being administered, and then back to the garage.  The whole Vanderbilt University & Medical Center complex is SO confusing.  God help you if you enter the wrong garage or take the wrong elevator.  It could be days before someone finds you. 

Which one did you get? I am allergic to penicillin also. Congrats on getting the jab!

We only have a mask mandate in 2 of our largest cities in my state. Maybe a few more but the vast majority of my state has not ever had a mask mandate in my state. Our 2 cities had to fight to get it. 

Edited by Coral

@Coral, I got the Pfizer vaccine.  The nurse quizzed me about the penicillin reaction.  I was maybe 2 or 3 yrs. old, and don't remember what happened, but do remember my mother wrapping me in a blanket and taking me to the hospital where I stayed for a few days.  Of course this was before benadryl or epi pens. Don't know if I broke out in a rash or started having trouble breathing.  Mom was an RN and knew what was going on. 

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Coral, I got the Pfizer vaccine.  The nurse quizzed me about the penicillin reaction.  I was maybe 2 or 3 yrs. old, and don't remember what happened, but do remember my mother wrapping me in a blanket and taking me to the hospital where I stayed for a few days.  Of course this was before benadryl or epi pens. Don't know if I broke out in a rash or started having trouble breathing.  Mom was an RN and knew what was going on. 

Thanks - I will be aware of that when I go in. I have a ton of allergies but nothing has been a red flag when it came to vaccines. Thankfully - none of mine have been life threatening. 

We were able to accelerate our shots from a NYS facility to Walgreens, which also switched us from Pfizer to Moderna.  Even though we have heard that the NYS facilities are very well run, they are all in large venues where parking (if available at all) is not adjacent.  It's so great that Walgreens and CVS are now opening up, because every store has its own parking lot – easy peasy!  This will really accelerate the process – and the quicker the vaccination numbers go up, the sooner cruises will restart. 😀

• Like 1

Yes, living in Texas right now has been a bit of a nightmare.  First with the non-preparedness of the cold with the electric grid and the blame game.  Now the open up the whole state issue.  So many people want to have a mask burning.  I am not ready for that.  We are both twice vaccinated, but still want to see the cases of covid go down further, so we all can start travelling soon.  I will still be wearing my mask when in stores etc.  In April, I will wear mask but may actually go to a restaurant, although I have a feeling, here in Texas they will be slammed and very maskless.  Oh well---many doubts.

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Hi Roz,🙂 congrats on getting that first shot.  I found out today I am eligible to get one (with

a Dr's Note for underlying conditions) since I am under 65.  Got my note today and tomorrow

morning will be researching spots for shots.  Here in FL things are done really funky......I

can only go to a pharmacy (rather than a state run facility) but that is ok......Publix is offering

shots...hoping to be able find an appointment for the next week or so...

(well, whenever one is available). You have to make the appt on line.

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

Which one did you get? I am allergic to penicillin also. Congrats on getting the jab!

I have a severe penicillin allergy (not just as a child but also as an adult).  I have now had both shots of the Moderna vaccine without any allergic reaction.  I did have a sore arm each time (not as bad as the flu shot) and was tired and cold for a day after the second.  But no allergic reaction.  Don't worry; take whichever they  offer you!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JerseyGem said:

I have a severe penicillin allergy (not just as a child but also as an adult).  I have now had both shots of the Moderna vaccine without any allergic reaction.  I did have a sore arm each time (not as bad as the flu shot) and was tired and cold for a day after the second.  But no allergic reaction.  Don't worry; take whichever they  offer you!

I actually have a ton of allergies and often wind up in an ER on vacation due to reactions. I try to be very careful what I eat and travel with my own soaps, try to eat things I am familiar with the ingredients, etc.... It is frustrating. Again - nothing has been life threatening, thankfully. I am less worried about getting the vaccine at home as I have access to my own healthcare.

Glad you did well with your vaccines!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I was able to make an appointment for my first shot😃..going tomorrow morning!!!  I could

not get through on the Publix website but Walmart had plenty of spots available!   Getting my

shot tomorrow at 11am😃

• Like 5

After battling the Massachusetts vaccine site for 3 weeks, took someone's advice and went straight to the CVS website.  Started at 6:15 AM, by 6:20 AM had a vaccine appointment!!

On Monday!   I am so thrilled, and relieved.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

After battling the Massachusetts vaccine site for 3 weeks, took someone's advice and went straight to the CVS website.  Started at 6:15 AM, by 6:20 AM had a vaccine appointment!!

On Monday!   I am so thrilled, and relieved.

Congratulations👍.  I get my first shot at 11 this morning!

• Like 2

Still trying to get my head round the restrictions during this phase of opening up the country. Federal lock down till 28 March but with easing according to incidence rate. The 35 incidence rate for Germany has been scrapped instead we have 50 or 100 on a regional basis. In Rhineland-Palatinate things are looking better but especially around the border with the Czech Republic the situation is still dire. But you cannot punish us in the West for what is going on at the border, so we have regional restrictions now that vary. In Rhineland-Palatinate two administrative districts will stay shut while others can ease. Will get more shops opened next week where the situation allows and the click & collect scheme is running with the "book your private shopping slot" coming. And a few other things eased. Still nowhere near to any kind of normal life - not in April either although restrictions are likely to be eased further if the situation allows. The mutations are part of the problem. Restrictions will be implemented again swiftly if regions get worse incidence rates.

Testing and vaccine strategy improving. The AstraZeneca vaccine is now approved for older people as well. And teachers, police, etc. of any age can have vaccines now (the AstraZeneca). So my relative who is a private tutor aiding children with learning problems immediately made an appointment online. The problem with the AstraZeneca vaccine is the reduced efficacy for the South Africa variant that is spreading through our neighbouring region "Moselle" in France. Hope that this will stay a minor concern.

With still no tourism happening I will be working from home at least until 28 March.

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

With still no tourism happening I will be working from home at least until 28 March.

notamermaid

Even though you are still working from home I hope that, with tourism planning reviving, you are working more.

We in Toronto are hoping that as of March 9 (or maybe the 8th; I can't keep up with things anymore) might go from stay at home to lockdown. About the only difference is smaller stores can open with 25% capacity. (Big box stores have been open throughout.) Still no personal services (hair salons, gyms, etc) or indoor or outdoor dining (takeout still allowed). Basically, we are moving (maybe - it hasn't been finalized yet) from stay at home to the most restrictive of the "re-opening framework" stages, which range from green - mostly open, through yellow, orange and red to grey (lockdown - not much open).

I got my hair cut on November 21, just before salons closed on November 23 (for the second time). It is getting really messy.

I understand that gyms and salons have been closed for longer here than in any other place in North America.

I just want vaccines to be widely distributed so we can begin to live again a bit!

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even though you are still working from home I hope that, with tourism planning reviving, you are working more.

Thank you. I am on fixed hours, kind of, my contract is quite strict, but there is room for manoeuvre as it all goes through a software. I am working on a project that is keeping me busy and has the potential to keep me busy into the Summer when - my boss cryptically alluded to it - I may be working more to get my lost hours back. But all in all, the increased money I cannot make during the weekend shifts (higher rate of pay), is lost as most of my time is now counted as happening Monday to Friday. I hope I can be back doing weekend work in April, there is the prospect of at least having German day trippers in my area. I cannot work overtime and get money for it, I just work "undertime" then. I am fortunate, with a team that is coping relatively well and a good contract. But I miss the work environment a bit.

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I just want vaccines to be widely distributed so we can begin to live again a bit!

Oh, yes! I fully understand. You appear to be having still stricter regulations than here. A relative of mine rushed out get a haircut appointment earlier this week, I do not know when her appointment will actually be. I have heard some hairdressers are fully booked for weeks.

notamermaid

Storms are battering the Rhine valley, we have a scandal of politicians having financially gained during the pandemic (something to do with the companies producing masks), in Rhineland-Palatinate we are about to have an election on Sunday and we are past the "calm before the storm", i.e. the scientists say our third wave of Coronavirus infections in Germany has begun. We do not see it much yet in Rhineland-Palatinate but this could come. Thuringia is up that creek with just a tiny paddle - about to break if nothing is done IMHO.

Meanwhile, shops have reopened in Rhineland-Palatinate (most of them) and the people from Hesse are storming into our shops (or so a Frankfurt newspaper says), which was to expected, but no, our leader said the "people are disciplined". Yes, of course, all lovely and fully complying with the rules and using common sense (my sarcasm).

On the good news side, vaccinations are gathering speed, now averaging 220,000 per day in Germany. From mid-April GP's are supposed to get the go-ahead for vaccinating patients locally. While we have done mostly the old and the very vulnerable, carers, health workers and many serving publicly, like teachers and police, have also received shots. So, it trickles down into the general public very slowly. In Rhineland-Palatinate it has been confirmed that the impact of the vaccines of fewer deaths and fewer hospitalizations despite the cases still being high is showing.

Unfortunately, a shipment to Australia of the AstraZeneca vaccine from the EU was stopped. Sorry, but those are the rules. While Germany has allowed the use of the vaccine also in the elderly for about a week now, Denmark and Iceland have had to stop administering the vaccine while they find out if blood-clotting in some people is directly related to the vaccine.

The Pfizer/BionTech vaccine has proven amazingly effective in the recent study in Israel.

And BREAKING NEWS: The EMA (European Medicines Agency) has just given the green light for the Johnson&Johnson vaccine. Now the final decision lies with the European Commission.

notamermaid

• Like 1

So glad to learn that so many have received at least the first dose. Yay! 

I had my first dose also. New York State has a mega site at Aqueduct Race Track. It’s run by the National Guard and I’m impressed by the way it’s run. 

If anyone is still having trouble booking an appointment check your local FB or Twitter.  There are several good people giving hints, setting up bots and even making the actually appointments for those who are not computer literate. Very heartwarming to see all the generous and kind people step up. 

Well we are creeping towards 50% of over 18s having received their first jab and evidently next week we start a push to increase the rate of vaccinating. The good news is that one jab is helping towards the decrease of passing on infection and two see the decrease even steeper. I will believe all that if the trend continues when the lock down is eased.

My daughters rescue Pointer, has now got a name, Alba, and has truly settled.

image.thumb.jpeg.f83a93c292b7e7cc80a8f09394dccebe.jpeg

this is after a 4K very wet walk, she also decided to join in my grandsons class zoom meetings before they returned to school, altogether things look very hopeful for beautiful rescued pup. CA

• Like 2

Good morning @Canal archive . So things are looking brighter. And the dog is happy in her home. Lovely.

Does it say why the date 23 March was chosen?

Here the storm is making the valley rather "non-picturesque". Not a nice day for shopping but I plan to go to a clothes shop later in the day for the first time since 14 December. Unbelievable the time that has passed.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine has gone through the European Commission smoothly, it was only a formality as they say. Big delivery not before April though.

Got a message from my friend in Charlotte, NC, that he has had the vaccine. Really happy for him. Emotions are high in many people when they get their first shot, is it like birthday or Christmas or a challenge met or plain relief or a new lease of life? I wonder what it will feel like with me. I have at least two months to ponder over that question...

notamermaid

Notamermaid here is the link, the date is the anniversary of the first lock down. 
It’s just started pouring down with quite high winds. Our over the back neighbour has a fence panel down and their cat got Ito a quandary as to which way and what to do he eventually climbed a tree and got over the gap that way, it’s amazing what is entertaining these days. CA

Covid-19: UK national day of reflection to be held on 23 March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56379232