Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If they have to cross into very slow PA to get a vaccine then their own state is in real trouble!

LOL...true enough!!!  See how it all plays out. I'm more concerned about my Mom getting it before I do - 98 years young and in an assisted living facility where covid has made its way into the building a few weeks ago. So far so good but awaiting updates. 

So many are piling into Florida now that the State has  imposed  a residency req,

Any new appts will only be given to those who are  fulll time or  bona fide seasonal (Snowbird) residents. Proof will be required. 

We have proof of home ownership, car regis, local  utility bills, etc.but for the second shot, not required as I understand the rules. Hope we get the vaccine on date promised and  big gov does not get in the way! Counting down til then.

Hopefully, folks will start seeing greater distribution by states  in coming days so no need to cross borders.  Good luck to all of us!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

As I said, shouldn't be allowed to cross borders to receive shots other than part-time residents of another state. That's a bit different situation.   This whole vaccine distribution thing - by some anyway - will likely wind up being manipulated / bought / sold / whatever...seems inevitable. Human nature, especially in such a desperate situation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

17 hours ago, hcat said:

So many are piling into Florida now that the State has  imposed  a residency req,

Any new appts will only be given to those who are  fulll time or  bona fide seasonal (Snowbird) residents. Proof will be required. 

We have proof of home ownership, car regis, local  utility bills, etc.but for the second shot, not required as I understand the rules. Hope we get the vaccine on date promised and  big gov does not get in the way! Counting down til then.

Hopefully, folks will start seeing greater distribution by states  in coming days so no need to cross borders.  Good luck to all of us!

I was wondering about the second shot. We are here for a couple months. Arrived Dec 28 with NO expectation of a Covid vaccination.  Felt extremely fortunate whe we received one at Publix beginning of Jan. I hope I get the next one, but don’t know the rules now.

3 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

I was wondering about the second shot. We are here for a couple months. Arrived Dec 28 with NO expectation of a Covid vaccination.  Felt extremely fortunate whe we received one at Publix beginning of Jan. I hope I get the next one, but don’t know the rules now.

If you were given the first shot in Fla  and they registered you,  today's news  reports said you will get shot no 2 without any proof of residency.  Rules requiring proof apply to new appts.  Check the news

Maybe you should  check with Publix or County where you got the shot..hang on to your  1st shot vacination card..ours has our next appt right on the back side,

18 hours ago, hcat said:

If you were given the first shot in Fla  and they registered you,  today's news  reports said you will get shot no 2 without any proof of residency.  Rules requiring proof apply to new appts.  Check the news

Maybe you should  check with Publix or County where you got the shot..hang on to your  1st shot vacination card..ours has our next appt right on the back side,

I read the rules after I posted but we did not have a written second appt. Now I read the second dose is ‘if available’.   Very fluid situation.  
Hoping they don’t mix n match manufacturers.

18 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

I read the rules after I posted but we did not have a written second appt. Now I read the second dose is ‘if available’.   Very fluid situation.  
Hoping they don’t mix n match manufacturers.

I do not really think they can mix and match different COVID vaccines with the two doses.  That has not been studied in the clinic (yet).  The FDA would not likely allow this in the US anyway.

IMO you are still much better off with one dose and a delayed second dose than the vast majority of us with no doses.

• Like 1

Here in WI it just seems odd and a bit unfair. My parents are down on the list a little because there Dr. isn't a direct link to one of the 2 big providers in their county. Wife's grandma in an assisted living situation still hasn't gotten it, but people are driving from other counties into that one that are above 65 but still 20+ years younger to get it.

Not happy with how they are rolling it out, doesn't seem as if they have a plan, and if they do, there seems to be some loopholes in it. Seems like a bit of unfairness going on, but hopefully it will work out soon.

NJ....not good. We are in the red zone. Most of the state is red. Only some less populated areas are orange or yellow.  We stay home most of the time.  We do not eat out.  Once in awhile we go out to get essentials.  More often, we get delivery.  Got first shot when it opened to seniors 2 weeks ago.  There is a frenzy trying to get appointments for the vaccine.  Some locations are short on vaccine and have closed.  Getting tired of staying in.  I have not seen any friends in person.  Zoom often.  Spend time cooking new recipes.  Like the recipes in the NYTimes. We got time.  We are losing hope for our next booked cruise in August. With all the travel regulations, it doesn’t seem worth going.  Thinking of just canceling soon and finding a summer rental.   Cruising may just become an old memory. At least I traveled extensively while I could.  

I work in a nursing home and my mom works in a hospital, so both of us are frontline workers!

At work, we're not doing any type of visitations except for FaceTimes.  It's heartbreaking because, while FaceTime is great, it doesn't compare to meeting in-person.  I work as an Assistant Director of Activities, I am in masks all day long....anywhere from 8-10 hours a day!  I have to dress in full PPE at various times throughout the day.  I am tested weekly, with number 36 scheduled for this coming Monday.  Thankfully, I was able to get both doses of the Pfizer vaccine through work, but I still have to follow all the guidelines set forth by the CDC and other government agencies.

Since I work in healthcare, as does most of my family, we haven't really seen each other since September.  I have a niece and nephew that are 8 and 4 years old respectively, I had to spend my first Christmas away from them this year.  They know that Auntie and Grammy are Healthcare Heroes, and that means that we can't see them often (they know all about COVID and their mother has been really good about having them follow all the guidelines).  They also know that Grammy and Grampy are in the high risk group and Auntie works with people in the high risk group, so they need to be extra careful.

However, we broke the news to my niece and nephew that Auntie and Grammy both got their shots, and that they would be able to hug us soon (we're still waiting on Grampy to get his doses).

Outside of work, because of the field that Mom and I are both in, we are limited to doing just essential errands and drive thru or take-out.  Kiddos are doing online schooling.  Stores and such are open at half capacity with someone at the door monitoring masking on customers.  It's mandatory to wear a mask in public, otherwise you will have to face a fine of up to $1,000....PER INCIDENT!  Most restaurants are closed to indoor dining.  No recreation venues are open, for the most part. 

As a momento, Mom and I are putting together a scrapbook for the niece and nephew about what it was like during the pandemic.  Since we're both working different sectors of the front line, we are focusing on what it was like to fight the virus head-on.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:04 PM, LJJQ said:

We received our first Pfizer vaccine here at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY. We were lucky to get online the day link went live. Now there aren’t any new appointments for at least 10 weeks. On February 6th we get the 2nd vaccine and will be ready to cruise whenever CDC approve it!  Definitely will travel once fully vaccinated! 

After many failed attempts, I got through this evening to the NYS website and got an appointment for April 5.  DW got stuck in a loop after choosing a dead-end day, and then the website crashed.  But one thing I have is perseverance – I refreshed every few minutes and just after midnight the site came back up.  I shot past all the earlier dates [figuring others were crashing them] and was able to get her an appointment on the same day and time as me!  Praise the Lord and pass the vaccine!

• Like 4

We get our 2nd Pfizer shot this Tuesday, 2 Feb. When we got our 1st, they gave us an appt for the 2nd. So looks as if it will work out for us. I was surprised to see on TV that people were not able to make appts for the 2nd shot.

More of our friends have contracted COVID; some did dumb things and joined groups for socializing, and others seemed to do all they could to be safe. After 20+ years of military service and combat, I knew life was a coin flip and this just adds to that. 

My mom was in a residential care and fell and ended in the hospital. I was able t be with her there feeding her and talking to her. At the residence, could only visit short times and not be near each other. It was hard on her not hugging and she didn’t understand. She was 99. No real recovery at the hospital so to a nursing home and no visits for 2 weeks. She then contracted COVID and passed a week later. No visiting. Sad, but fully understand. 

I hear people insisting COVID is overblown with how many deaths attributed. My mother’s death certificate did not list COVID as the cause. So much for those conspiracies. 

enough. Hard year. We are slowing working towards being safer again. You’ll  see I didn’t say safe......I don’t think we’ll ever move back to being ‘normal’. Life has changed for all of us. Looking forward to 2021 and on. Good heath to all here and hope to be more together when safe. 

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Broadway Baby..Thank you for being a Health Care Hero..Hope you soon get those hugs you deserve! Great idea for a scrapbook...

Jazzbeau..great job,  NY appts are very hard to snag, esp in certain areas. ( like Long Island NY)

Denny..condolences on loss of your mom,  Glad you are getting 2nd shot.  We will hopefullly receive # 2 on Feb 10th per appt given at first session in Desoto Co 

( moderna)...

Joining in your wishes for good health to all! 

16 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We get our 2nd Pfizer shot this Tuesday, 2 Feb. When we got our 1st, they gave us an appt for the 2nd. So looks as if it will work out for us. I was surprised to see on TV that people were not able to make appts for the 2nd shot.

More of our friends have contracted COVID; some did dumb things and joined groups for socializing, and others seemed to do all they could to be safe. After 20+ years of military service and combat, I knew life was a coin flip and this just adds to that. 

My mom was in a residential care and fell and ended in the hospital. I was able t be with her there feeding her and talking to her. At the residence, could only visit short times and not be near each other. It was hard on her not hugging and she didn’t understand. She was 99. No real recovery at the hospital so to a nursing home and no visits for 2 weeks. She then contracted COVID and passed a week later. No visiting. Sad, but fully understand. 

I hear people insisting COVID is overblown with how many deaths attributed. My mother’s death certificate did not list COVID as the cause. So much for those conspiracies. 

enough. Hard year. We are slowing working towards being safer again. You’ll  see I didn’t say safe......I don’t think we’ll ever move back to being ‘normal’. Life has changed for all of us. Looking forward to 2021 and on. Good heath to all here and hope to be more together when safe. 

Den

Den so sorry to hear about your Mom.  

16 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Hard to lose any family member or friend to this virus, but a mom's bond with her child runs so deep. Your mom had a loving and caring child, which we can see from your post.  Most likely she didn't understand the covid issue and need to not 'hug' her...but I'm sure she passed peacefully knowing you were there for her in every way possible.  Take solace in that.  Keep well.

20 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We get our 2nd Pfizer shot this Tuesday, 2 Feb. When we got our 1st, they gave us an appt for the 2nd.

We're scheduled for 1st dose (of Moderna) next week. Interesting that on the website the final confirmation screen said they'd schedule our 2nd shot when we get there; however, the email confirmation indicated that WE need to schedule the 2nd one. Upon trying to do so, couldn't find any open appointment slots. Guess I'll keep checking back, and if not, see what happens when we get to Rite Aid Pharmacy next week. 

20 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Denny...I agree totally on all your thoughts. 

SO very sorry to hear about your Mom. I feel for you and can only try to relate to how hard it is. My Mom is 98, and in assisted living these past 5 years. There is covid in the facility as of a few weeks ago, and I just found out they've lost a few residents recently but, allegedly anyway, were supposed to have had the first of 3 vaccination clinics there last week. Haven't heard any update on that the past few days. 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, Redtravel said:

Cruising may just become an old memory.

So many of your thoughts I can totally relate to - almost like you were describing my life of the past year! Many here on CC can undoubtedly echo the same or similar thoughts. This particular thought, however, on cruising, is something that has crept into my mind as well. Have to wonder how far back we'll come towards any sort of "normal" future travel. As you said, glad we've done what we've done thus far. Take care....

On 1/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

As a momento, Mom and I are putting together a scrapbook for the niece and nephew about what it was like during the pandemic. 

Great idea. We are all surely living during a historic time. I've been saving a few newspapers along the way. Hope you get to do those hugs soon.. 🙂

Hi Guys,

Gene & Jackie here. We are booked on this cruise. Already got 1st vaccine shot,  2nd due on Feb. 10.  Was like buying a ticket on Ticketron for a hot show. Just kept trying until I  found an opening on one of the many sites giving it.

The DW got hers in Dec. Nursing Director at Major NJ Hospital.  On the upside she says,  we are now on the offensive with the battel against  COVID-19.  We are turning the tide. Just hang on, we can and will win this battel/war soon.

Big nor'easter happening right now, about a foot of snow right now, another 6 to 8 inches to follow, so they say by morning,  Wild wind, lights blinked a few times but we still have power.  When the snow is falling as it is now, really quite beautiful, it's the after that is .......  

Lost power here earlier...

High Winds were Howling @ the time...

It actually came back fairly quickly...

The Sun was brilliant & clear at the time 😎

Heading back below zero tonight...

We only rose above zero for a short while today...

We'll see what the ground hog says tomorrow 🙂

20 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

We're scheduled for 1st dose (of Moderna) next week. Interesting that on the website the final confirmation screen said they'd schedule our 2nd shot when we get there; however, the email confirmation indicated that WE need to schedule the 2nd one. Upon trying to do so, couldn't find any open appointment slots. Guess I'll keep checking back, and if not, see what happens when we get to Rite Aid Pharmacy next week. 

As you know I am in PA near you.  Where/how did you schedule your vaccine shot?  I have not been successful.

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Big nor'easter happening right now, about a foot of snow right now, another 6 to 8 inches to follow, so they say by morning,  Wild wind, lights blinked a few times but we still have power.  When the snow is falling as it is now, really quite beautiful, it's the after that is .......  

We are slightly ahead of you here in southeast PA in the timing of this storm.. It started here Sunday afternoon.  Now Tuesday morning and it is still snowing and it will not end here until late today.  We are totally buried! The bad news is that all vaccine sites have been closed down.  😟