Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

Getting back to those two Celebrities, new to our waters...

One of them went into the Bridgetown Port about 24 hrs. ago

and is still there. Port charges??!

The other one remains at anchor offshore Carlisle Bay

- right where she was on Thursday.

AND a few beach pics, taken right where I was standing

where She was standing, too

DSCN0219.JPG

DSCN0220.JPG

DSCN0222.JPG

Poser-216.jpg

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

uh-huh...and I'll wager there was simply no other direction

in which to aim the camera 😳 

You are correct! ^

Camera seized kontrol and directed itself that way

and forced my finger to click the shutter release!!

Wasn't a thing I could do otherwise.

In fact the possessed thing clicked twice!

DSCN0218.JPG

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Geez, so weird how these darn cameras can suddenly act up like that..

..you just never know...😉

To be perfectly truthful

it's my wife's old Nikon point-and-shoot!

Bought at Port Zante in St. Kitts, at least six years ago now!

It's a wonder it's still working at all

because it does genuinely malfunction, and beeps at me

for no reason. BADLY needs replacing!

Those little point-and-shoots (US$ 140?) don't last long -

their little microprocessors go all wonky after about 3 years

- has been my experience generally, over time.

Don't expect them to last long. I'm not kidding this time.

They can do stupid stuff -like this corrupted file

(-not this particular camera now in use)

3878 is corrupted.jpg

33 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Those little point-and-shoots (US$ 140?) don't last long -

their little microprocessors go all wonky after about 3 years

- has been my experience generally, over time.

That hasn't been my experience though. My point-and-shoot canon has been doing well since I have it - probably 7-8 years or so by now? Not sure. One before that lasted really long also.  At any rate, you can stop making excuses for that picture now  LOL  (just kidding)

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Back to the topic.  Today is Super Bowl Sunday in the US.  It is like a holiday most years with big parties indoors.  I expect many to ignore the virus risk (like TG and XMAS and NYr's Eve) and attend super bowl parties.  And another virus surge starting in about a week.  

Here in southeast PA we are getting another Nor' Easter snowstorm right now so maybe that will cut down some of the parties.  But we have nowhere left to put the snow!

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

And another virus surge starting in about a week.  

OH yeah....I'm sure. The parties will rage on despite common sense and encouragement not to have them. It's somewhat of a race between vaccine distribution and covid variants. Mass potential super-spreader events won't help matters. 

Our snow event today basically fizzled out. Road is clear. Looked like it might have amounted to something back around 9:30 or so, but then steadily decreased. I'm good with that. Hope you don't get too much there. I'm ready for spring. 

I'm pretty sure that tomorrow will be the seed for many spikes on both sides of the border. Most jurisdictions in Canada have severely curtailed what capacity in bars and restaurants; I'm sure there will be plenty of house parties which will also be in contravention of health orders. We'll pass on all that thanks.

21 hours ago, hcat said:

Amazing photos..thanks.

We are headed north to snowy weather next week but will look at these  for a tropical  "escape"

Did you get any side effects from second dose?  I have read those with worse side effects get more antibodies

2 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Did you get any side effects from second dose?  I have read those with worse side effects get more antibodies

We did  indeed.   Got the  2nd  shot Moderna on Feb 10..worse side effects this time compated to 1st shot

Dh had  bad chills fever nausea headache, muscle & joint pain..abt 2 days.

I was mostly tired,  lo fever, runny nose, muscle and joint pain, Both had sore arms.

Today we are pretty much 100%.. I am still tired,

Photos of Barbados..great therapy!

• Like 1

We got our 2nd dose of Pfizer on Tuesday other than a sore arm that evening no side effects.  We have not socialized with friends in almost 6 months.  The 2 of us occasionally go out to a small restaurant who are operating at 50% and rigorously cleaning and following all the safe protocols.  
Just waiting for many, many others to get vaccinated so we can travel again, even if that means masks.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:55 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Neither did I. The link to the rite aid pharmacy covid appt. screen was sent to me by someone I know in the community. She got it from her husband who got it from some twitter site. 

Not picking on you because I likely would have tried to do the same.  So here is the exact problem.  It is called "Using Links to Jump the Vaccine Line".  Everybody seems to be doing it.  A qualified person gets an appointment.  Then sends out the link to friends and family.  They use it to get appointments whether qualified or not.  The Wait Lists never move forward.  The state and county need to figure out how to control this and institute a fair process.  It is their fault for not realizing this soon enough.  I think they will now start sending out individual code numbers (for one person only) and not a general sign up link that can be sent around.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/montco-s-arkoosh-residents-please-stop-using-links-jump-vaccine-line

Well it's still snowing here in beautiful Victoria BC, we are up to about 25 cm now. It's not really what we expect here in the Palm Springs of The Great White North. We did manage to get the Subaru down the driveway and back up, it was just a little dicey coming back up. Good thing tomorrow is a provincial holiday because I'm not sure we would make it to work.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well it's still snowing here in beautiful Victoria BC, we are up to about 25 cm now. It's not really what we expect here in the Palm Springs of The Great White North. We did manage to get the Subaru down the driveway and back up, it was just a little dicey coming back up. Good thing tomorrow is a provincial holiday because I'm not sure we would make it to work.

IF and huge tongue in cheek IF, there is a silver lining in all of this WFH, it is not having to "winterize" prior to leaving the house to walk to the subway during the winter.  

Subway would be all well and good if we had such a thing here. My wife and I work in different places but we drive in together, normally she drops me off and continues to her work at the cancer center. Our daily driver is all wheel drive and all season tires. When it snows we use the Subaru with an outstanding all wheel drive system and Michelin X-ice tires, even with those things the snow on our driveway is a little deep even with the excellent ground clearance we were plowing snow with the bottom of the car. This is really not what we expect here in our island paradise.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Subway would be all well and good if we had such a thing here. My wife and I work in different places but we drive in together, normally she drops me off and continues to her work at the cancer center. Our daily driver is all wheel drive and all season tires. When it snows we use the Subaru with an outstanding all wheel drive system and Michelin X-ice tires, even with those things the snow on our driveway is a little deep even with the excellent ground clearance we were plowing snow with the bottom of the car. This is really not what we expect here in our island paradise.

Frankly, I am a bit jealous, I would really like to be able to go to my office 1 or 2 days/week.  My firm is closed and we will work remote until at least Labor Day in Sept.  Fortunately we had a "best $ year ever" in 2020, no layoffs, crazy hiring continues, no pay cuts etc.  Blessed in that sense for sure, just really miss the socialization with colleagues more than anything else.  

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

In Halifax, we had 96 cm in 24 hours back in 2004. It took three days before the road was opened up, a single lane at that. I shovelled to the end of the driveway, but no further. Here in Ottawa, we use a snow clearance company so we don't have major issues returning after two or three weeks of cruising.

NEIGHBOURS

img_1312.thumb.jpeg.94ccf789f08fba5b86bf9e2614d02b8b.jpeg

MY DRIVEWAY MEETS THE ROADimg_1332.thumb.jpeg.3c130a9651485ea459f52c5288054d99.jpeg

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

I am a Journeyman Joiner (The technical name for a certified cabinet maker) it is pretty much impossible to work from home. We have been fortunate that our clients still want the high end woodwork that we do. And I need to be at the shop with the Million dollars worth of machinery to do what we do, although I am trained to do more hand work and specialize in the custom section. 

My wife has to go in to the clinic because all her work has to be done on secure systems for patient confidentiality.

@Fouremco That reminds me of what we here still call (the blizzard of 96) we had about the same snowfall in the same period and imagine what happened here in a a place where snow is not common, total shut down. We have had our driveway cleared with a Bobcat in the past but that really does ruin the gravel and we just spent $11,000.00 having waterline moved and the driveway re-surfaced with 50 to 100 mm of fresh gravel. I don't think we will be paying have it cleared again, we'll just hold up here, plenty of food and fire wood.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1