How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Home, no way I was going to hospital during all this Corona virus.

My laminectomy etc was going to be moved to today. Spoke at length to GP. Said the particular hospital I was booked would probably be the safest place to be at present.

Of course, it was cancelled until whenever.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, cheznandy said:

Zoom is like Skype.

One of our sons is IT for Essentail Energy, he is training staff so they can work from home etc

He was a great teacher for us to learn how to use it.

It is his birthday next week so we will get together and have a "party" to celebrate.

Andy and I wore our hawaiian shirts tonight and had a Pacific Island background  with palm trees and beach. Next week will be party hats and virtual cake!!

Hopefully we will do a shake down trip to a National Park in Taree October long weekend if we are allowed out, we did this with our first van in 2011 before our trip around OZ.

Yes, this one has a shower and toilet ensuite, such luxury, like a ship cabin....but bigger!! Hopefully no TP shortage then.

Do we get to see party photos?  My daughter and the other students wore Hawaiian shirts for a tele conf with their Mel Uni professor today.  I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall.  It was nice to see my daughter adapting to studying at home alone on line.  She'll never forget this year, as she is a real people person. 

I forgot to ask if you got to christen the toilet?  En suite bigger than a ship's cabin no less!

Edited by MMDown Under

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Just back from more x-rays “The good news is, your hand isn’t broken. The bad news is you will probably wish it was eventually”.

I guess that is what happens when you fall on the concrete driveway one afternoon, spend the next day in bed recovering, then hit the tile floor before the sun is up the next day, the house was over run with paramedics and ambos.

Bummer, you need to take it easier on yourself.Take care buddy and I hope Maxxy is helping.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I think you need a better hobby.

But I am getting so good at this one, mostly I can predict it and fall safely, Tuesday was just totally out of nowhere and it was a doozy that I hadn’t recovered from and almost exactly 40 hours later, I could reduce the damage, but tiles are near on as bad as concrete.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Bummer, you need to take it easier on yourself.Take care buddy and I hope Maxxy is helping.

He was going bedeck whenever he couldn’t get to me yesterday, screaming and yelling because he knew I was in trouble but couldn’t check on me.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Just back from more x-rays “The good news is, your hand isn’t broken. The bad news is you will probably wish it was eventually”.

I guess that is what happens when you fall on the concrete driveway one afternoon, spend the next day in bed recovering, then hit the tile floor before the sun is up the next day, the house was over run with paramedics and ambos.

Sorry to hear of your falls, as if one wasn't enough.  I hope you make a good recovery with your mate looking out for you.  My girlfriend has been in hospital 3 weeks since falling going up a concrete path.  She had both hands full and a heavy backpack.  The latter compounded the fall.  Moral of the story, don't try to do everything in one trip.  She was outside in the rain for sometime before anyone found her.  She is now being transferred out of the hospital because I think they need the beds ready.

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

But I am getting so good at this one, mostly I can predict it and fall safely, Tuesday was just totally out of nowhere and it was a doozy that I hadn’t recovered from and almost exactly 40 hours later, I could reduce the damage, but tiles are near on as bad as concrete.

Sounds like what one of my Bro inlaws has, Syncope. After several damaging falls he has learned to recognise the onset and quickly lays down, regardless of where he is.

53 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Sounds like what one of my Bro inlaws has, Syncope. After several damaging falls he has learned to recognise the onset and quickly lays down, regardless of where he is.

Are you referring to vasovagal syncope, if so I have that as well.

Well it is day 15.  I knew I'd be in trouble once I ran out of toes, so have resorted to crossing out dates on the calendar.  I've learnt that the 14 days I thought it was meant to be, when I volunteered to self isolate, was for people returning from overseas.  70s and over was meant to be open ended.  However, I didn't get that message at the time.  Seems it was so successful, the Govt is encouraging everyone of all ages to join us and stay inside, stay safe.  My talented girlfriend in Florida sent me a graphic with the picture of a house "Not stuck inside safe inside".  It is amazing to me what has happened in a fortnight.  No more running off to Bunnings, Apple, etc. 

First drama - a daughter ran over my hose, not the soft part, the whizzbang nozzle than brings joy to hosing.  Lucky I remembered the finger over the end of the hose model. 

Second drama - a number of light bulbs went out.  I know I should have thought of that, but I didn't.  Lucky I have a collection of torches and batteries

Third drama - my computer, which is trying to give up the ghost from over use, has developed a rattle which makes it impossible to listen to videos. 

Good news - food has been replenished.  

Have a good weekend everyone.  If you mark your calendar, you too can tell it is the weekend.  Think how good we'll get at this, with practice.  

Edited by MMDown Under

41 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The things you learn on this thread!  Is it age related or can anyone have it?

I don't think it is age related as I have had I my whole life.

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness. Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment.

There is also which is similar.

Reflex syncope is a brief loss of consciousness due to a neurologically induced drop in blood pressure. Before the person passes out there may be sweating, a decreased ability to see, or ringing in the ears.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

No mine is the result of damage to the spinal cord, I often describe it, not totally accurately, as being like getting hit in the back of the knee and the leg just going from under you.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think it is age related as I have had I my whole life.

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness. Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment.

There is also which is similar.

Reflex syncope is a brief loss of consciousness due to a neurologically induced drop in blood pressure. Before the person passes out there may be sweating, a decreased ability to see, or ringing in the ears.

Oh dear.  I may have this because just this week I've been dropping things whilst sitting down (my mobile phone and two plates of meals).  I thought I was just overtired.  

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No mine is the result of damage to the spinal cord, I often describe it, not totally accurately, as being like getting hit in the back of the knee and the leg just going from under you.

Welcome back to the nut house old son, have 2 of these daily, fix you up quick smart...ye olde potato pie.primary.jpg.2e9ab2377bd3b314c73fbb31f3c164d2.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh dear.  I may have this because just this week I've been dropping things whilst sitting down (my mobile phone and two plates of meals).  I thought I was just overtired.  

My daughters aren't happy and are shocked that I'm self diagnosing off the internet, but I looked it up and was surprised it is identical.  Last time I did this with Meniere's Disease, the doctor agreed, but said let's have a brain scan first to eliminate other possibilities.  

Edited by MMDown Under

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

How did you damage your spinal cord?  Did you have an accident?  Yours sounds an on going big deal, with chronic pain.  

I did some food shopping early yesterday morning and forgot bread. I had a small amount in the freezer so wasn't too fussed. Late this morning, son phoned to ask was there anything we needed while he was out shopping for his family. I asked if he could buy a loaf of for us which he did and dropped it off a while ago. He was amazed at how many older couples were out shopping. By older he meant over 60, he said they were just wandering around and stopping to chat to friends. No social distancing! So much for just one member of a couple/family going out to buy supplies and returning home as soon as possible.

Leigh

54 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

How did you damage your spinal cord?  Did you have an accident?  Yours sounds an on going big deal, with chronic pain.  

Got more wrong with my back than you can poke a stick at no one is really sure of the cause of most of it but there are multiple fractures, some bone spurs, herniated disks and degenerative disk disease, to name just a few issues.

Hi Folks

Things are not so good with me, I have nasty pain which my cocktail of pain killers is not doing much to shift...oh dear back t the quack on Monday because of an open wound on my leg, darn thing just wont heal up ...

No cruise therapy to help and none likely for years to come now our cruise ship hating government has kicked its first ship out , no all the public will remember is RUBY PRINCESS PLAGUE SHIPS and  it will be a very long time until we cruise again 

It used to be that a good look round some deck plans would help me .... Darn you Darned virus!!

BTW  one of my Issues is D.I.S.H  ......(a bad back)

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

39 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I did some food shopping early yesterday morning and forgot bread. I had a small amount in the freezer so wasn't too fussed. Late this morning, son phoned to ask was there anything we needed while he was out shopping for his family. I asked if he could buy a loaf of for us which he did and dropped it off a while ago. He was amazed at how many older couples were out shopping. By older he meant over 60, he said they were just wandering around and stopping to chat to friends. No social distancing! So much for just one member of a couple/family going out to buy supplies and returning home as soon as possible.

Leigh

Oh dear 

I sent the VIP'er out to do our shopping , Elsie and I are confined to the household on the Quacks orders.. we are fine  just about our only issue is my pain control or lack of it ,, I'm taking far too many painkillers ..but its either that or call the ambo's get pumped full of morphine and spend 8 hours in casualty (not a good idea at the moment)

Oh dear and even looking at cruise brochures makes me depressed.......just cast me away on a desert Island ,,,,

Regards

John 

10 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Oh dear 

I sent the VIP'er out to do our shopping , Elsie and I are confined to the household on the Quacks orders.. we are fine  just about our only issue is my pain control or lack of it ,, I'm taking far too many painkillers ..but its either that or call the ambo's get pumped full of morphine and spend 8 hours in casualty (not a good idea at the moment)

Oh dear and even looking at cruise brochures makes me depressed.......just cast me away on a desert Island ,,,,

Regards

John 

John, I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I hope it settles for you. I'm the one who goes out to buy food and my husband goes to the pharmacy if needed. 

Leigh

I'm furious!

Yesterday Crystal announced that our 26 night cruise from Rome on May 24th was cancelled. Now they have changed the cancellation. The cruise is sold in several segments:

- Rome to London

- Rome to Barcelona (first sector)

- Barcelona to London

- Barcelona to Lisbon (second sector)

- Lisbon to London (third sector)

So our cruise consists of the B2B2B of all three sectors.

Now they are saying that on the Rome to London cruise only the first sector is cancelled and a new embarkation port will be announced.

Then they go on to say that on the Barcelona to London cruise only the first sector is cancelled and a new embarkation port will be announced.

Ah! Hang on a minute! The cancelled first sector of the Barcelona to London cruise is the second sector on the Rome to London cruise which they are claiming isn't cancelled. 

I guess we'll just have to leave it to our TA to sort out. I suspect too many people are requesting refunds instead of taking the FCC offer and Crystal are panicking. I'm seriously pissed off with Crystal and will not ever consider cruising with them again.

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

John, I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I hope it settles for you. I'm the one who goes out to buy food and my husband goes to the pharmacy if needed. 

Leigh

Thanks Leigh ....dont worry too much sometimes it helps to verbalize against the pain , force it back into its box so to speak.. I;m used to it I having had this for 5 years or so now....the main problem is that many doctors just dont listen ...my lady doctor is quite good but a bit loath to give me too many opoids  a policy I agree with

Hmmm I wonder if there will be any real cheap cruise ships on the market ??? (Grin)

Regards

John

• Like 1