How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not sure religion is winning, even in America where religion usually gets whatever it wants the protests of church ministers to keep congregating is being met with a resounding hell no 😂. Iran, France, Germany and South Korea all trace their infections back to religious congregations. I think they have as many PR problems as cruises right now. 

Add Indonesia and Malaysia to that religious congregations list.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Online news this morning said a South Australian man has hoarded 4,500 roll of toilet paper and has been refused permission to sell them online, apparently he is stuck with them and is trying to flog them off to small independent grocers. I hope the rats get into the hoard.

Reminded me of something that happened many years ago(c1962/3) when my dad's boss thought he could make a killing by importing several thousand Beatle wigs. He didn't realise that kids would grow their own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, lyndarra said:

Reminded me of something that happened many years ago(c1962/3) when my dad's boss thought he could make a killing by importing several thousand Beatle wigs. He didn't realise that kids would grow their own.

Ha Ha. 😁

On 3/31/2020 at 6:52 PM, lyndarra said:

I learned on Saturday that on Thursday my son was sent home from work because he developed a cough. He was told to come back when the cough had gone, no other symptoms. Yesterday he still had the cough so he is  going for a test tomorrow. He works for Downer EDI and said they were looking at closing down their Cardiff workshop next week. Got my fingers crossed he'll be ok.

Although he lives in the next street from me but I haven't seen him for two or three weeks so I'm ok.

My son today got the result of his test. Negative. Just flu. Feeling relieved as Lake Mac is being noted in the media as being a hot spot.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My son today got the result of his test. Negative. Just flu. Feeling relieved as Lake Mac is being noted in the media as being a hot spot.

Great news!. Must be a strange feeling being glad a loved one has the flu. 😉

Edited by Russell21

Disclaimer: I don't know which thread is the most appropriate for my post.

There is growing concern about COVID-19 in animals. Three lions and four tigersin the Bronx Zoo in New York have tested positive and domestic dogs and cats have become infected when the people in their household are infected. Can the animals pass it to other pets in their neighbourhood?

I have a random thought - what about a pet in ICU then on a ventilator 😁. Bad thought, but the situation with animals is serious for transmission in the community.

49 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That's great news. Hope he recovers from his flu quickly.

Thank you all. My boy was positive it would be negative. He seemed none too concerned but he sounded  crook on the phone. His work has closed down and workers are now on annual leave for a while. He gets to use some sick leave instead. So Sydneyites may have to wait a little longer for their new trains.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is growing concern about COVID-19 in animals. Three lions and four tigersin the Bronx Zoo in New York have tested positive and domestic dogs and cats have become infected when the people in their household are infected. Can the animals pass it to other pets in their neighbourhood?

I have a random thought - what about a pet in ICU then on a ventilator 😁. Bad thought, but the situation with animals is serious for transmission in the community.

Your random thought is not that random. Saw a whole documentary a few years ago about how doctors with new treatments go to veterinarians to try it out on pets first who have problems that humans could get. It was incredible the bionic leg attachments, new types of implants and yes ventilators. Apparently it is pretty common practice. As for COVID19 in animals that strain of virus they get is weaker (otherwise there would be more dead bats😜) so they don't seem to get any life threatening symptoms. 

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Your random thought is not that random. Saw a whole documentary a few years ago about how doctors with new treatments go to veterinarians to try it out on pets first who have problems that humans could get. It was incredible the bionic leg attachments, new types of implants and yes ventilators. Apparently it is pretty common practice. As for COVID19 in animals that strain of virus they get is weaker (otherwise there would be more dead bats😜) so they don't seem to get any life threatening symptoms. 

If that is so it may be a possible source for a vaccine like cow pox was for small pox.

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

If that is so it may be a possible source for a vaccine like cow pox was for small pox.

I hate to be the pessimist but if coronaviruses did work like a pox virus then I would expect there to be a vaccine for SARS by now because I remember hearing about a lot of animals being affected by SARS. There must be something fundamentally more complex about coronaviruses that we have not yet figured out a vaccine for any of them to date. 

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Disclaimer: I don't know which thread is the most appropriate for my post.

OMG, and I had only just finished watching the TIGER KING, on netflix. Hopefully I haven't contracted anything more than having a numb mind.

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

OMG, and I had only just finished watching the TIGER KING, on netflix. Hopefully I haven't contracted anything more than having a numb mind.

I gave up on the Tiger King after 1.5 episodes. I agree that you might have contracted a numb mind. 😁

On 4/6/2020 at 9:18 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some people definitely aren't getting the message about social distancing. 

Exactly! Despite the fact that many stores, metro stations, and so on are now marked with special markings, people for the most part do not care. Not so much because of a deliberate disregard for safety rules, but because of their own habit of standing in queues very close to each other. Nevertheless, we must somehow wean ourselves from this?

11 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Great news!. Must be a strange feeling being glad a loved one has the flu. 😉

Sign of the times we now live in.  My daughter enquired all over Brisbane for her first flu needle - booked out.  However she found somewhere to get it yesterday.  

4 hours ago, Ava79 said:

Exactly! Despite the fact that many stores, metro stations, and so on are now marked with special markings, people for the most part do not care. Not so much because of a deliberate disregard for safety rules, but because of their own habit of standing in queues very close to each other. Nevertheless, we must somehow wean ourselves from this?

Yesterday, while I was waiting in a car, a couple in masks came right next to the car.  I was horrified to realise the window was down.  They were on an empty footpath!  I watched people waiting for a take away coffee, on the opposite side of the street.  They were all well spaced.  I noticed the bakery had dividers in and out from the shop.  People are all trying to keep a safe distance.  When we walked the dogs yesterday there were only two other couples.  A lady in a walker wanted to pat the dogs, as we passed, but instead said "we can't do that anymore, half to herself".

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Thank you all. My boy was positive it would be negative. He seemed none too concerned but he sounded  crook on the phone. His work has closed down and workers are now on annual leave for a while. He gets to use some sick leave instead. So Sydneyites may have to wait a little longer for their new trains.

I'm delighted to learn that your son tested negative.  Watching Prince Charles with mild symptoms gave one some comfort, then seeing Boris transferred to intensive care, brings one back to reality about the randomness of this virus.  Auths here and overseas are stressing this virus is not just targeting the elderly, but also the young.

I went to the shops last night (8.pm)for milk, bread, and any vegies or meat we cold get. I managed to get some snags and chicken skewers the meat guy was just bringing them out (that was all he had to bring out), got some pumpkin and the last bag of potatoes. I suppose shopping late is not so great, the shop was busy with packers but it seems certain items they simply had no stock to put out.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I went to the shops last night (8.pm)for milk, bread, and any vegies or meat we cold get. I managed to get some snags and chicken skewers the meat guy was just bringing them out (that was all he had to bring out), got some pumpkin and the last bag of potatoes. I suppose shopping late is not so great, the shop was busy with packers but it seems certain items they simply had no stock to put out.

Popped in to Foodlands this morning.  They had everything I wanted, which included hot Paradise Turkish Bread (4 ingredients).  Noticed single rolls wrapped toilet paper (1 roll only allowed) plastic bags of unbranded toilet paper, lots of items only 1 per person The Butcher is my kind of shop - has everything - meat, chicken, fish, pies, dog mince and bones.  An old fashioned one stop butcher shop.  They do their own ham and bacon.  The bakery and cafe has everything also.  They do local deliveries for those isolated in the community.  Good to know we won't starve.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sign of the times we now live in.  My daughter enquired all over Brisbane for her first flu needle - booked out.  However she found somewhere to get it yesterday.  

We get the flu shot every year at our medical centre. The last two years we have had to wait more than an hour past the scheduled appointment time. When I phoned to make an appointment for this year's shots, I nicely said that we didn't want to want an hour and a half in a waiting room full of people when we are self-isolating at home the rest of the time. The receptionist then said they give everyone the same time - the time the flu vax clinic starts!!! No. We are not going down that road! They declined to let us wait in our car, then they phone us when it is our turn.

Anyway, we have our names on the waiting list when they get more supplies of vaccine and will then discuss with the receptionist our options without waiting in a room full of people, some of them sick.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When we walked the dogs yesterday there were only two other couples.  A lady in a walker wanted to pat the dogs, as we passed, but instead said "we can't do that anymore, half to herself".

I saw a joke yesterday. The family dog was sitting on top of the kitchen cupboards trying to stay out of sight. Everyone in the family had taken him for a walk as their excuse to get out of the house, and he was exhausted.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Opening time seem better. We can make a 'dawn raid' in the golden hour for oldies.