How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Have you flown from Coolangatta Airport?  It is old style where you walk to and from the plane, across the tarmac, in the tropical rain.  Ah, but the feeling when you land back in Sunny or rainy Queensland from down South is priceless.

Did you know Coolangatta Airport has closed?  Guess because no-one was going anywhere. 

We have a number of times and also at the Sunshine Coast airport. I've also walked across the tarmac at Sydney domestic,  at Avalon in Victoria and in Hobart.

Leigh

To Lord Howe Island you had to walk the tarmac in Sydney to get to the plane. Never walked the tarmac at Mascot before so that was a new experience. Easter Island was interesting because it was the only plane on the tramac and they didn't mind people standing around taking pictures compared to other airports where the try to hustle you off the tarmac as fast as possible😁

46 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

To Lord Howe Island you had to walk the tarmac in Sydney to get to the plane. Never walked the tarmac at Mascot before so that was a new experience. Easter Island was interesting because it was the only plane on the tramac and they didn't mind people standing around taking pictures compared to other airports where the try to hustle you off the tarmac as fast as possible😁

You have to do that in Sydney for the Norfolk Island flights as well

When we flew out of and into Brisbane on Qantas in February, they boarded and disembarked the rear half of the plane via the rear steps so had to walk down or up stairs in the terminal onto the tarmac. A time saving exercise? A backward step in my opinion anyway.

7 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

When we flew out of and into Brisbane on Qantas in February, they boarded and disembarked the rear half of the plane via the rear steps so had to walk down or up stairs in the terminal onto the tarmac. A time saving exercise? A backward step in my opinion anyway.

That happens often, all about plane size and schedules.

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That happens often, all about plane size and schedules.

So ... the US CDC put this out yesterday:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

I’m pretty certain that the cruise industry’s response will have to be to suspend cruising to/from US ports from May 11, 2020 for another three month.

How does that affect the participants on this thread?

Thoughts?

Edited by ldambra

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

We have had that a few times in Brisbane. They make no allowance for people who would find the stairs difficult.

In January this year my wife and I were having early discussions about the possibility of cruising from  New York to LA  (or vice versa) via the Panama Canal.

Got as far as googling what was available, but couldn't pin anything down for when we were considering travel, about May 2021. Put off further consideration until later this year, because of the paucity of information.

Now, between Covid, the decimation of our super by 25% (at least), and the suspension of our modest rental income because of Covid, it ain't gonna happen until a while later.

Edit: 25% is actually 2.5 x decimation, isn't it?

I must acknowledge that I was a lot more hopeful a week or two ago that this would blow over in two or three months.

Edited by Obilix

5 hours ago, Obilix said:

In January this year my wife and I were having early discussions about the possibility of cruising from  New York to LA  (or vice versa) via the Panama Canal.

Got as far as googling what was available, but couldn't pin anything down for when we were considering travel, about May 2021. Put off further consideration until later this year, because of the paucity of information.

Now, between Covid, the decimation of our super by 25% (at least), and the suspension of our modest rental income because of Covid, it ain't gonna happen until a while later.

Edit: 25% is actually 2.5 x decimation, isn't it?

I must acknowledge that I was a lot more hopeful a week or two ago that this would blow over in two or three months.

I put $30,000, after tax money, in to my superannuation, when I had my first child, so I wouldn't be behind in my super after taking leave with no pay.  BIG mistake.  As soon as I made it back without interest, over time, I closed my Super Account.  I learnt the hard way that Super is only worth was is calculated on the day it is withdrawn.  

Whilst I don't understand how it works, I've noticed the experts, who calculate the progression of the spread of the virus, have been pretty accurate to date.

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Boarding inMelbourne in November they “suggested” I should use the tarmac and rear steps to board my flight.

I “suggested” that I couldn’t. So I entered through the air bridge. 

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Boarding inMelbourne in November they “suggested” I should use the tarmac and rear steps to board my flight.

That's happened a few times with us too, me with a bad knee and my husband with his hip. Usually the crew are quite happy for you to use the airbridge, although one time we were told we HAD to walk up the rear stairs, I explained my husband would find that impossible. We were reluctantly told we could enter the plane by the airbridge but we had to wait to everyone else had boarded, which was not a problem.

Leigh

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I always enter via the air bridge.  With Virgin I get a mid row, but with Qantas I get a row further back, but still come in the front. Stairs do me in!

Going back to the beginning of the topic, I can't even really say how we are doing. Because recently I stopped following the news about the coronavirus, I just sit at home, spend time with my husband and children and enjoy it. Of course, there are various rumors, but I try not to pay attention. But in general the situation is depressing

Good idea to stop following the news because it can become overwhelming.  I start the day by watching the US news, where the situation is really dire, then the German news to get the European perspective.  I catch up with local news during the day then that is it for the day.  Don't listen to rumours.  I like to be informed before I email chat with my girlfriend who lives in NY.    We share a lot of laughter from happier times spent together.

I am lucky to live on the Gold Coast with its beautiful local beaches and parks where we walk the dogs twice a day.  Yesterday was a happy one as I went to a local market to buy fresh fruit and vegs.  We did some gardening and filled the bins.  A highlight was watching a screening of a live reading of a play, "The Orphan".  The actors were in Sydney, Melbourne and The Hamptons, with the narrator in NY.  Seems the little theatre made more money on line than usual at the theatre, which is great news as we need to keep the acting and music industry alive to feed our soul.  

On 4/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, Aus Traveller said:

We have had that a few times in Brisbane. They make no allowance for people who would find the stairs difficult.

On a recent flight from Williamtown to Melbourne return. Off loading in Melbourne we could leave by the rear door (we were in the back half) down stairs and across the tarmac, whereas the front half left via the airbridge. Same thing when boarding on return. No airbridge at Williamtown, stairs front and rear.

Amazing! The refund from China Airlines has been credited to our credit card today. I phoned them on Thursday, the refund went through Paypal on Friday and onto the credit card today (Monday). Absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

Just a thought   OOL will never be the same without Ansett!!  back to MEL after 10 days holiday and Bangers and Mash served on board.....

And I just remembered East West with the BAe 146 no food served but lots of booze and coffee

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

On 4/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, MicCanberra said:

Have walked on the tarmac at all those places as well as Singapore, Hong Kong, LAX and more.

I was lucky to walk on the runway at FNC before the airport fully opened saw a constellation abort and return to LIS 

Edited by VK3DQ