How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

First fire then plague now floods. When you get these events does the water just swell the rivers over flood stage and run to the sea or does it help fill the lakes and replenish your aquifers. I know water conservation has been vital during what I understand is a very long drought in Australia. Be safe everyone.

A lot of the rain water just flows out to the sea. The dams on farm properties would have welcomed the rain. There is an aquifer near us, that is used for drinking water, which would have received a top up following the recent rains.

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

First fire then plague now floods. When you get these events does the water just swell the rivers over flood stage and run to the sea or does it help fill the lakes and replenish your aquifers. I know water conservation has been vital during what I understand is a very long drought in Australia. Be safe everyone.

In Australia we have all heard the poem "My Country" written by Dorothea Mackellar. One part sums up the plight here in Australia very well.

"I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains. "

View the full poem here. Lyle, you will soon be an honorary Aussie. 😀

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I know my local dams were down to under 40% Not to long back, now back up to 70%. We were on level 2 water restrictions then got some good rain a few months back and dropped to level one, if we get a bit more like this tey May lift all restrictions, some towns ran out of water alltogether, I hope Te places in worst drought are getting the rain.

• Like 1

I always hate to hear of natural disasters, especially floods. And when they happen in places that have been hard hit by drought. Then the water comes through, destroys everything and flows out to sea, leaving no benefit behind.

I'm hoping that I may some day be an honorary Aussie, I just hope that I can get through the initiation which probably includes Eating a meat pie, grilling some prawns and too much sketchy beer😉. I have been  Screeched in by a bunch of Newfoundlanders even though I haven't been to Newfoundland yet, I'll probably have to do that all over again.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Never grilled a prawn in my life, much rather them just boiled on a slice of really fresh bread lashings of butter and vinegar.

One of my favourite ways to do prawns is to take a bunch of prawns with some sliced up lemon wrap them in foil wrap and throw them on the grill. Give them about 5 minutes quick flip a couple more minutes yummy good eating. Hold the vinegar for me 😁. Perhaps a we drop of 🍺

Thank you for the links Mr. Gut. Many of the things mentioned I already knew due to the extensive coaching I have received from so many friendly folks on these boards. I did have some knowledge already but nothing beats tutoring from the locals. I have an Akubra hat but want a new one. I also fancy a Driza-Bone but they are so heavy and I think I can get one here. I know it's cheesy but I want a boomerang too, I know it's cliche but they're kid of cool and easy to pack.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Never grilled a prawn in my life, much rather them just boiled on a slice of really fresh bread lashings of butter and vinegar.

Eat cooked prawns fresh off the trawler or green prawns quickly cooked in garlic butter - both delicious!  Enjoyed a fresh spanner crab off a trawler recently - tasted much better than ones I'd bought previously from seafood shops.  I love sand crab on fresh white bread and butter.  Mud crabs, my favourite, I eat as I crack.  Did I mention I love seafood?  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you for the links Mr. Gut. Many of the things mentioned I already knew due to the extensive coaching I have received from so many friendly folks on these boards. I did have some knowledge already but nothing beats tutoring from the locals. I have an Akubra hat but want a new one. I also fancy a Driza-Bone but they are so heavy and I think I can get one here. I know it's cheesy but I want a boomerang too, I know it's cliche but they're kid of cool and easy to pack.

I wold be surprised i you ca’t get an Akubra there to, a great hat. When we were showing dogs wors a dri az a bone a lot, careful with boomerangs a lot of the cheap ones are made in China etc

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Eat cooked prawns fresh off the trawler or green prawns quickly cooked in garlic butter - both delicious!  Enjoyed a fresh spanner crab off a trawler recently - tasted much better than ones I'd bought previously from seafood shops.  I love sand crab on fresh white bread and butter.  Mud crabs, my favourite, I eat as I crack.  Did I mention I love seafood?  

Yep fresh is the way, growing up on the lake it was blue swimmers and oysters straight off the rocks, used to go fishing near on every weekend. Another big seafood fan.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep fresh is the way, growing up on the lake it was blue swimmers and oysters straight off the rocks, used to go fishing near on every weekend. Another big seafood fan.

Aussies are lucky growing up on the water.  Thought it was strange the first time I saw sand crabs advertised as blue swimmers, until I realised they were blue uncooked.  My great aunt's  island, off Seaforth, had huge oysters which people  used to eat straight off the rocks.  Not a fan of oysters and mussels. 

9 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Have grilled prawns but much prefer my yabbies.

• Like 1

Oh no - Queensland has a covid case with contact tracing beginning in Logan, south of Brisbane. The person recently returned from interstate.  A private school has been closed. 

Oh no - My favourite suburb in Sydney, Potts Point, has had a couple of covid cases.  The Apollo Restaurant, which was visited by someone with the virus, is in the hotel where I always stay at Potts Point.  I guess Potts Point may be the next hot spot.  Queensland Premier is advising Queenslanders to not travel to NSW.  I wonder how long she will keep the border open? 

No-one can now cross in to SA from Victoria, including SA locals. There are exemptions for within 40 kms of the border.

Edited by MMDown Under

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Maybe one more week?

Greater Sydney has now been added to hotspot list.  Seems two young women flew from Melbourne, via Sydney, and may not have told the truth on their entry forms.  A criminal investigation is being conducted.  Needless to say these two young women have been all over in the region whilst positive.  How selfish can people be?

I’m going for a walk outside tomorrow afternoon. 

So, off I went to hospital Monday last week. It was shown that contrary to popular opinion, I did indeed have a spine.  Quite a bit was removed (C3-6 laminectomy and associated adjustments). Long time sleepbies. 

Guess what, this surgery hurts. A lot. Pain team every day adjusting meds to try and get control.

A new experience for me was being the subject of a MET team call. Oxygen, bloods taken, 2 ecgs , 10 minute obs. All the fun of the fair, with no social distancing in y stateroom.  Off the the CT machine. Not a cardiac event, pulmonary embolism.

It became like a medical convention.  Nurses all over, icu doc, my surgeon, physician, my oncologist (who is also a haematologist). Stabilised that, unpleasant injections into the abdomen twice a day. Three months of pills after discharge. Travel insurance, not likely.

transferred to the rehab facility on Sunday. Probably here a couple of weeks.  Twice daily physio. Occupational therapy. Pain management. Boredom. All staff now wearing masks and visors. Going to gym or common facilities, patients now wearing masks.

Good good good news. Most of the original pain has disappeared.

cheers ... adrian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Greater Sydney has now been added to hotspot list.  Seems two young women flew from Melbourne, via Sydney, and may not have told the truth on their entry forms.  A criminal investigation is being conducted.  Needless to say these two young women have been all over in the region whilst positive.  How selfish can people be?

The places they went to while they were ill, now have to close for deep cleaning. I would like to see these young women paying for the deep cleaning and the loss of business while it is carried out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I’m going for a walk outside tomorrow afternoon. 

So, off I went to hospital Monday last week. It was shown that contrary to popular opinion, I did indeed have a spine.  Quite a bit was removed (C3-6 laminectomy and associated adjustments). Long time sleepbies. 

Guess what, this surgery hurts. A lot. Pain team every day adjusting meds to try and get control.

A new experience for me was being the subject of a MET team call. Oxygen, bloods taken, 2 ecgs , 10 minute obs. All the fun of the fair, with no social distancing in y stateroom.  Off the the CT machine. Not a cardiac event, pulmonary embolism.

It became like a medical convention.  Nurses all over, icu doc, my surgeon, physician, my oncologist (who is also a haematologist). Stabilised that, unpleasant injections into the abdomen twice a day. Three months of pills after discharge. Travel insurance, not likely.

transferred to the rehab facility on Sunday. Probably here a couple of weeks.  Twice daily physio. Occupational therapy. Pain management. Boredom. All staff now wearing masks and visors. Going to gym or common facilities, patients now wearing masks.

Good good good news. Most of the original pain has disappeared.

cheers ... adrian

Sounds like you have been through quite an ordeal.   Pleased to hear the original pain has disappeared.  Hope you enjoy your walk outside tomorrow afternoon.