How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Not entirely. Our caravan parks have a lot of NSW and Victorian visitors booked in for the duration. They came to Queensland before the border closed. Apparently the tourism operators in Queensland are doing OK with these visitors plus locals.

Friends of ours went up to Cairns and Port Douglas recently and said they are doing it tough. I guess they rely more on fly-in tourists rather than caravanners.

I agree with the Queensland Premier's stance on the border closure. There have been some idiots like the two young women who flew to Melbourne several weeks ago then brought the virus back to Queensland. All of our infections in those weeks are linked to a detention centre cluster where the genomic testing of the virus matches the virus that one of the young women had.

Yesterday it was announced that a woman living on Russell Island is infected. She has 'links' to the detention centre. Even after she went to be tested, and while waiting for the results, she didn't self-isolate. She went to Ikea, a garden centre, and a supermarket, then went back to the island on the water bus where everyone is jammed in together. To ascertain who else is at risk, her movements over the period in which she would have been infected, have been released. Included in that are four return trips on the water bus. Island residents are nervous. There are only 3,000 people living on the island and they all go to the same supermarket, doctor's office, pharmacy etc and, when they want to go to the mainland, all travel on the same waterbus.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Tourism, which relied on overseas visitors, has been hit badly, which is the fault of closed international borders due to virus, not the Old. Premier.

I was reading about Africa and how most countries domestic tourism is basically unheard of. Because of COVID19 the whole industry has had to modify to cater to locals while also trying to change the mindset of locals that travel doesn't have to mean leaving your country. I think it goes to show how important it is to cultivate a strong domestic tourism market and not be reliant on people who are far away. 

55 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was reading about Africa and how most countries domestic tourism is basically unheard of. Because of COVID19 the whole industry has had to modify to cater to locals while also trying to change the mindset of locals that travel doesn't have to mean leaving your country. I think it goes to show how important it is to cultivate a strong domestic tourism market and not be reliant on people who are far away. 

Yes.  There have been a lot of lessons learnt from this pandemic.   I hope Australia becomes less reliant on overseas countries.  It makes me so happy to see many small businesses adapting to change forced on them by the virus.  I hope Australia will come out of the pandemic stronger in the long term.  

The problem with the large numbers of overseas students at our Universities has been known for a long time.  When I studied part of a Masters Business Degree, as a mature age student, my fellow students weren't fluent in written English.  They were smart but couldn't have graduated without having Australian students in their group to be scribes for assignments.  But they brought in big $$$s to universities, so a blind eye was turned.  The Federal Government is not without blame as they defunded the universities, which forced them to look elsewhere for funds.  

Edited by MMDown Under

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wish NSW had been a bit tougher when the current Sydney outbreak started. Instead of being confined to one part of Sydney it's now popping up all over the city. But our premier is following the PM's line of economy before health. 😡 The only thing that's kept it in check is the very good NSW contact tracing.

Yes, that is the worry, not knowing where next.  NSW must be doing a good job contact tracing keeping on top of the outbreaks.  Old. is doing a good job, on a smaller scale.  I'm impressed how proactive the Chief Medical Officer is, temporarily closing aged care centres etc., whenever there is a new virus case.  I know someone in aged care and they are advised before public announcements.  

49 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

RIght I am over it......

Got to stay within 5km of home ..

No retail......

until  26th October.....

Not happy Jan.....        time for a nice cuppa tea and lie down......lol

Don

Don't forget the Bex Powder, or is that just for women? 

44 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

RIght I am over it......

Got to stay within 5km of home ..

No retail......

until  26th October.....

Not happy Jan.....        time for a nice cuppa tea and lie down......lol

Don

It's what I expected Don. I think it would be crazy to open up too soon. We just can't open up and cases explode and we're back to lockdown again. I think it is better to do it slowly. Being a lovely day, we have spent a fair bit of time outside today, both gardening and reading, something we can do in our own property. At least the curfew will be later and there will be more time to be outside exercising or just enjoying the weather. The no retail doesn't bother me in the least, there's always online shopping, even of it does take forever to be delivered.😀 At least we can walk along a river and go to the beach in our 5km zone.

Leigh

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The old days..... Bex was the answer...  If memory service me correctly...

it was housewifes who became addicted to it ... and most adverts showed women....

r0_1_1200_676_w1200_h678_fmax.thumb.jpg.e2b965236f9fb281fa9a27c7cec15cf6.jpg

Cheers Don

That's the  one Don...One of my wife's Aunts became addicted to Bex Powders, after about 40 years of Bex and a lie down, died of kidney failure.  Panadol will do the same if you become addicted.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It's what I expected Don. I think it would be crazy to open up too soon. We just can't open up and cases explode and we're back to lockdown again. I think it is better to do it slowly. Being a lovely day, we have spent a fair bit of time outside today, both gardening and reading, something we can do in our own property. At least the curfew will be later and there will be more time to be outside exercising or just enjoying the weather. The no retail doesn't bother me in the least, there's always online shopping, even of it does take forever to be delivered.😀 At least we can walk along a river and go to the beach in our 5km zone.

Leigh

HI Leigh... just getting a bit edgy ( no Bex Powder LOL )  as living in apartment (No balcony)

one is hanging to go somewhere...   Yes I understand the need to stay put.... wish i could fine all the people not wearing or with noses poking out of masks.... would be a wealthy person now....

Yes have be doing a little online shopping.... but no beaches or walking place within the 5km   and you would have to drive....

also walking round the neighborhood have to be carefully as cross the street about 20 times avoiding people...

Really would like a change of scenery.. as haven't been anywhere since the beginning of the year.....

So as they say look on the bright side of life...

we are alive, food and wine on the table and a roof over our heads ( well actually  another apartment )

Cheer Don     just about to put the kettle on

• Like 1

I have looked at some apartments. But, like on a ship, I must have a balcony. Could not do without.

At least today we have a clear set of plans, with key triggers for each event. 

Besides the actual lockdown, the not knowing has been a very big negative for a lot of people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

HI Leigh... just getting a bit edgy ( no Bex Powder LOL )  as living in apartment (No balcony)

one is hanging to go somewhere...   Yes I understand the need to stay put.... wish i could fine all the people not wearing or with noses poking out of masks.... would be a wealthy person now....

Yes have be doing a little online shopping.... but no beaches or walking place within the 5km   and you would have to drive....

also walking round the neighborhood have to be carefully as cross the street about 20 times avoiding people...

Really would like a change of scenery.. as haven't been anywhere since the beginning of the year.....

So as they say look on the bright side of life...

we are alive, food and wine on the table and a roof over our heads ( well actually  another apartment )

Cheer Don     just about to put the kettle on

I feel sorry for you Don living in a unit, with no balcony, and having no beaches or walking places within 5 klm., during lockdown.  I don't like being inside, so lucky I live in Qld. with outdoor weather.  I felt contained when we couldn't drive more than 50 klms.

Life as we knew it is different for everyone, especially for travellers and cruisers.

However, as you say, we are alive and well fed in our own havens.  We can still dream of good times, after we get through this pandemic.

12 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I have looked at some apartments. But, like on a ship, I must have a balcony. Could not do without.

At least today we have a clear set of plans, with key triggers for each event. 

Besides the actual lockdown, the not knowing has been a very big negative for a lot of people.

I did have a holiday unit, at one stage, but it had a large balcony and windows on three sides, for through breeze, which is essential in Qld's summers.  

Were the plans what you expected?  I've been out so haven't studied them yet.  

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I feel sorry for you Don living in a unit, with no balcony, and having no beaches or walking places within 5 klm., during lockdown.  I don't like being inside, so lucky I live in Qld. with outdoor weather.  I felt contained when we couldn't drive more than 50 klms.

Life as we knew it is different for everyone, especially for travellers and cruisers.

However, as you say, we are alive and well fed in our own havens.  We can still dream of good times, after we get through this pandemic.

Yes we can Dream... which is good.......

( also the new TV ( 65inch ) we bought last month helps..

as a window into the dream world of movies )

Now having my cuppa of Apple tree tea    Don

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I'm glad your new 65" TV is giving you pleasure.  There is a big TV where I am staying and I'm surprised what a difference the size makes.  I'm looking forward to watching the US Open on it from the quarter finals.  

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

You are living the dream, 65 inch TV, crikey almost as big as the MUTS screen on Princess, do you dish out the popcorn? Enjoy it all mate.990181979_th(1).jpg.e08a2469358ea4d44fa5f4e66887561a.jpg

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You are living the dream, 65 inch TV, crikey almost as big as the MUTS screen on Princess, do you dish out the popcorn? Enjoy it all mate.990181979_th(1).jpg.e08a2469358ea4d44fa5f4e66887561a.jpg

Thanks.... but no popcorn....  maybe a glass of red and a little cheese

we sit only about 2.5m from it....

honestly it amazing plus having surround sound helps

( the neighbour haven't complained yet )     

Also better than MUTS... its warmer and you can pause it. lol

the other plus is much cheaper than a cruise and lasts longer...

Cheers All Don

• Like 1

Don, this is for you, fingers crossed it will work. It's a 90 second video taken on the rocks at the southern end of Dee Why Beach today. Hopefully it will give you a short ocean fix. Unfortunately I can't capture the sea air as well.

This is the first real outing we've had in months. We've mostly been staying home and just shopping when necessary. But since the weather is nice, just a tad cool in the shadebut warm in the sun, we decided to get some fresh sea air so headed to our favourite Sydney beach. There are some good restaurants here with views across the road to the sea which makes it a nice place for a relaxed lunch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Don, this is for you, fingers crossed it will work. It's a 90 second video taken on the rocks at the southern end of Dee Why Beach today. Hopefully it will give you a short ocean fix. Unfortunately I can't capture the sea air as well.

This is the first real outing we've had in months. We've mostly been staying home and just shopping when necessary. But since the weather is nice, just a tad cool in the shadebut warm in the sun, we decided to get some fresh sea air so headed to our favourite Sydney beach. There are some good restaurants here with views across the road to the sea which makes it a nice place for a relaxed lunch.

I hope Don enjoys your lovely video of the ocean.  When I visit Sydney, I always stop off at Dee Why for lunch at one of the waterfront cafes.

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope Don enjoys your lovely video of the ocean.  When I visit Sydney, I always stop off at Dee Why for lunch at one of the waterfront cafes.

Thanks All... could look at ocean all day

A couple seaside photos

wave_7159600.thumb.jpg.dd3855af76d9d40114d3573f8077a5d0.jpgwaves_3022483.thumb.JPG.1ad46c2894965dfe73479cc7b9f92200.JPG1184543284_godfreysbeachtake1_7275480.thumb.jpg.85babbeef7db2055c15fbecdb2870068.jpg

53 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Next time you come this way let me know. We're always up for lunch at Dee Why.

This was lunch BTW. Portuguese Espatadas at Sandbar. We tried both the beef and the chicken. Hard to pick which was the best, they were both delicious and the mildly spicybsauce worked really well with the chips as well ascthe meat.

20200907_134146.jpg

• Like 1