How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

12 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Talking about Walcha......just watching Sunrise and Barnaby Joyce is standing outside of the Walcha Road Hotel doing his live segment.

Googled Walcha.  Lovely website, but still can't place it.  Half way between Brisbane and Sydney, but where, nearest town? Haven't seen Barnaby.  He must be still waiting for his spot (6.08 am Old.)

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Googled Walcha.  Lovely website, but still can't place it.  Half way between Brisbane and Sydney, but where, nearest town? Haven't seen Barnaby.  He must be still waiting for his spot (6.08 am Old.)

You are so lucky, we are trying not to see him. He is much better when he isn't seen or heard.

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I hope you didn't have to pick up the van from somewhere like, say, Walcha? The Oxley Highway is a great road on two wheels but I would not like to travel it on four wheels towing  a van.

I have a van that I should sell as it doesn't get used any more now that I'm on my own.

Have a great reunion.

We have had some exciting trips following other people in their vans.  (We are tent people.)  On one trip up the mountain to Bunya Mountains, we saw the "No Caravans" sign half way up.  Too late!  We got to see the whites of the guy driving the other way.  Another time, the driver got his wife to get out and walk in front to make sure the water wasn't too high.  No mention of snakes and other nasties!

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

No we didn't, we would never drive a van up the mountain if we could help it, although I did most of my driver training on the Walcha mountain, and I wasn't going slow, it's where I learnt driving lines. No caravan behind though!!

Maybe you should keep the van, as you sound like a van expert.  ? driving lines

I didn't know which thread was more relevant to post this comment on, so I hope I chose the correct one.

For anyone who didn't watch the  Channel 9 '60 Minutes' show last night, I suggest it is worth watching it on line. Three points stood out to me:

1. The pandemic was totally, absolutely avoidable if the Chinese authorities had acted differently. They shut down their researchers, sanctioned their doctors and lied to the world. 😠 The whole world is now paying the price.

2. How bad the situation is in New York. ☹️Young adults are also in ICU.

3. The description of her illness by a young woman from the UK who said that with every breath she fought to take, she thought she was dying.

I knew I wouldn't sleep after watching the show last night. I took a valium.🙂

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I didn't know which thread was more relevant to post this comment on, so I hope I chose the correct one.

For anyone who didn't watch the  Channel 9 '60 Minutes' show last night, I suggest it is worth watching it on line. Three points stood out to me:

1. The pandemic was totally, absolutely avoidable if the Chinese authorities had acted differently. They shut down their researchers, sanctioned their doctors and lied to the world. 😠 The whole world is now paying the price.

2. How bad the situation is in New York. ☹️Young adults are also in ICU.

3. The description of her illness by a young woman from the UK who said that with every breath she fought to take, she thought she was dying.

I knew I wouldn't sleep after watching the show last night. I took a valium.🙂

You had to take a valium and you are suggesting it is worth watching !  I already know how bad things are in Manhattan.  I already don't trust the Chinese Government (which doesn't mean I don't like Chinese people).

I already can't watch any real hospital/ambulance show (except for childbirth which I've done and think it is beautiful).

On 3/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, Russell21 said:

Better result than mine after a Nuclear bone scan of my spine, "There's nothing we can do for you except painkillers", this from my GP who is a personal friend of many years.

Up to last week it has always been “even painkillers don’t work anymore” I am hoping that this new doctor may be onto something. But not holding my breath.

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Day 10 - Two dogs on bed with me.  Me who said "No dog is getting on my bed!"  I'm from country stock where dogs stayed outside.  The dogs are whippets. (Fig from Figment of Imagination from WDW and Chase)

Cooked Thai Chicken Noodle Soup - comfort food.  Daughter made Vegetable and Soba Noodle Salad with honey ginger cashews.  Today I'm going to make another chicken dish, because chicken doesn't keep.  

Am going to watch less TV today, except for Insiders. 

Beautiful bright blue skies and cool sea breezes at the Coast.  

A bit like me, no inside dogs, no dogs that need grooming, no little dogs, My Max is the light of my life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Up to last week it has always been “even painkillers don’t work anymore” I am hoping that this new doctor may be onto something. But not holding my breath.

Good luck with the new Doc, I do know what pain the back can cause, as in not just the back. Most of mine is not in the back, it is pinched nerves and the pain is where the nerves lead to, as well as the good old Sciatic nerve right down the leg. If I had the injuries that the nerve pain suggests I'd be dead several times over. All caused by excessive bone growth from a hereditary disease.

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A bit like me, no inside dogs, no dogs that need grooming, no little dogs, My Max is the light of my life.

What kind of dog is Max?  Whippets need no grooming, little expensive vet and they are medium size dogs. 

Took dogs for a run on an off leash dog beach this morning.  It was wonderful to be out for the first time. 

Well an unusual effect of the latest mad panic presented itself the other day when my webcam died during a conversation with my Bro in law who lives in Thailand. Webcams have become harder to get than toilet paper, at least you can get toilet paper but not a webcam. Apparently this is worldwide, even Logitech Australia has no stock and can't/wont say when they will.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Good luck.  Sometimes a new doctor does pick something up that regular doctor misses.

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Last week I read an article discussing why Taiwan was doing so well fighting COVID-19 and one of their health officials stated the first thing they learnt from the SARS epidemic is to never wait for China to provide any information or give any official announcement, by then it will be too late.

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Last week I read an article discussing why Taiwan was doing so well fighting COVID-19 and one of their health officials stated the first thing they learnt from the SARS epidemic is to never wait for China to provide any information or give any official announcement, by then it will be too late.

Taiwan understands China better than anyone else.  I aways remember a magazine cover with a Chinese and a Western Businessman exchanging name cards with the Chinese bowing low respectively.  Under the water, the Chinese was something like a shark eating the Western person.  

Wow, lots of stereotypes and generalisations. FWIW, yes I know that the local Chinese health officials tried to quelch the first reports of the virus but I believe that officials in our own country (and definitely in USA) would have done much the same. I also DON'T believe that it could have been nipped in the bud straight away. Other countries had the opportunity to stop it in their country but everyone miscalculated it.

5 minutes ago, nnps said:

Wow, lots of stereotypes and generalisations. FWIW, yes I know that the local Chinese health officials tried to quelch the first reports of the virus but I believe that officials in our own country (and definitely in USA) would have done much the same. I also DON'T believe that it could have been nipped in the bud straight away. Other countries had the opportunity to stop it in their country but everyone miscalculated it.

I would say pretty much every Western nation was asleep at the wheel with this crisis. I think the governments all thought it would like a SARS and stay a mostly Asian problem. But China does need to be criticised for their handling of this infection. Had they presented the research from November to WHO prehaps there could have been a chance to nip this in the bud but by delaying their announcement to January they effectively gave this virus nearly two months to spread and being as highly infectious as it is two months is a huge head start for this coronavirus.

23 minutes ago, nnps said:

The first medical staff who drew attention to this unusual pneumonia and said it was a version of SARS were forced to say that they had been unnecessarily alarmist. One of these doctors later died.

Chinese officials not only "tried to quelch the first reports of the virus" they forced their own researchers to destroy their research. This was in late December. They lied to WHO and the world. At the time that China was insisting the virus couldn't be transmitted person-to-person,  they had hundreds per day catching it in person-to-person transmission.

When they had a serious situation in Wuhan, they didn't shut the city down: they let millions of people travel for the holidays. And so the scene was sent for a world-wide pandemic.

I believe Australian authorities did their best to stop it in our country. When they banned Chinese people from entering our country, they were accused of being racist. If that step hadn't been taken, we would be in a much worse position. But, of course, it wasn't only Chinese people who could bring in the virus. Obviously, all our cases result from someone coming in with the infection. Some of these were Australians who picked up the infection overseas. We could not deny them entry, so even if we closed our borders to everyone else, the virus would still have come into the country.

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes! and when you tell them the pain killers dont work they dont listen to you .... frankly at my age 74 I dont care too much any more I just want the pain to stop for an hour ....

Had my first telemedicne appointment , my GP rang me and sent my scrips to the pharmacy across the road.... 

Confined to barracks .... 

Regards

John

21 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe you should keep the van, as you sound like a van expert.  ? driving lines

Driving lines.....Police driver training. Race car drivers do it really well if you watch them taking those bends  at speed.

Edited by cheznandy

I got toilet paper yesterday....been trying for 4 weeks!!

They had cheap quality 10 pack in Woolies, and had good stuff in Aldi.

I took a pack around to sons as they have set up offices at home and unable to leave during the day.

Added some Sour dough bread and a bag of lollies and dropped at front door.......saw my grandson down the hallway, boohoo no cuddles, but he can enjoy his treat while doing his school work🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

I got toilet paper yesterday....been trying for 4 weeks!!

They had cheap quality 10 pack in Woolies, and had good stuff in Aldi.

I took a pack around to sons as they have set up offices at home and unable to leave during the day.

Added some Sour dough bread and a bag of lollies and dropped at front door.......saw my grandson down the hallway, boohoo no cuddles, but he can enjoy his treat while doing his school work🥰

Congratulations on toilet purchases and seeing your grandson down the hall, which would have been bitter sweet!

Well Lester Holt, on tonight’s US NBC Nightly News, just interviewed a J&J rep. She said that their Corona vaccine will be ready for trials in September. Good News! So this global pandemic will all be over “real soon” now.

image.thumb.jpeg.f92452fc3a6174f9988a77b7ed02ce0d.jpeg

Edited by ldambra

A quiet day for us yesterday, our 46th wedding anniversary. Usually we would have gone out for lunch or dinner. We  were able to speak to our grandsons by Facetime. Our son phones one of us most days to check how we are and we have text messages from our daughter each day. 

I went to the supermarket, bakery and butcher early this morning to buy some supplies. Not many around, a few people getting their coffees on the way to work and a few like me trying to stay away from the crowds. I managed to get a ham hock, so Rob can make pea and ham soup this afternoon. I had bought packets of split peas a few weeks ago. So all good to go. 

The lawn mower man is due this morning, so we will stay inside while he is here. Perhaps a short walk after lunch will be nice. We noticed quite a few families go past our house yesterday, walking their dogs or riding their bikes.

Leigh