Poll: How much will you cruise when cruising resumes?

How much will you cruise when cruising resumes?  

7,286 members have voted

1. 1. When you are again able, how often will you cruise in the next few years?

• I will cruise more than ever - I want to help the cruising industry get back on its feet
    • I will cruise about the same as always - Let's put this behind us quickly
    • I will cruise less than before - Some combo of health concerns, economic impact, and other forms of vaction will reduce my short term cruising
    • I won't cruise at all - Will take a few years (if ever) before things get back to normal and I consider cruising again.

15 minutes ago, julia said:

After 25 cruises, I think we're done.  We have found the ships to be more crowded, less relaxing, less entertaining, and more expensive than ever.  Oh, and don't expect that "70 Dr's note thing" to go away.  Why?  The cruise lines have been targeting a younger demographic for years.  The older folks (with massive Captain's Club perks) aren't quite as useful to them anymore.

Yup.

By looking at the results so far, it appears that there will be less of these people cruising. 193 say they'll do more, 295 say less, and 110 say their done.  I doubt, if everybody stays in their category, the 193 people her were going balance the 405 who say they are either going to cut back or quit completely.

We will have one FCC that we will have to use, so we’ll have to take a cruise before it expires. Otherwise, we are going to concentrate on finishing visiting all 50 states (still have 10 to go) before doing any more cruises. We had decided to step that up anyway. 

The “required drs note over 70 and underlying health issues denial to board” may keep us from cruising ever again, unfortunately, if they don’t relax that rule. Hubby went thru almost 2 yrs of cancer treatments, and although he is fine now, he still has a compromised immune system... 

We cruise a couple of times a year and will still do so hopefully. Interesting that this morning I received a survey from MSC asking the same kind of questions, the cruise lines are obviously worried about it.

We are the frequent older cruiser, and economical able to do so. Normally we do 5 - 6 cruises every year, last year we were able to do 7. This year we were back to 6, but other than the b2b we did in February the others are already canceled or on the near chopping block.

If you have ever looked around while on any Celebrity cruise the obvious observation would be there is an older demographic population. On our b2b in February (12 day & 9 day), the probable age would average out at well over 60 on the longer cruise and probably dropped to 55 on the shorter. How can anyone think that Celebrity could continue to sail and depend on a younger crowd when there are other cruise lines who have activities for all there age groups and activities such as water parks, bumper cars, ice skating and others. Celebrity could arrange wheelchair( my wife uses one) races, scooter obstacle courses or earlybird challenges. 
I went to a regularly scheduled doctors appointment, and discussed the medical form for those over 70. The response was an emphatic no, none of the doctors on staff will sign one because of the implied liability.
So what does this and many other “older” cruises do?

Hal

If those two bugaboos time and money were no object yours truly would be taking at least two to three cruises a year. I'm looking forward to booking my Carnival Horizon 8 night Southern Caribbean vacation cruise this September. Of course, I'll do my Insure My rip and buy a policy. If nothing else booking now is a semblance of normalcy for me. I'm hoping the second half of 2020 is better. Personally, all the cruise lines should band together and boycott China and any other Communist led disaster of a country. God willing if I survive 2020 and live to see another year, I gain an extra vacation week I want to do to two cruises. One during my usual Mid to late September vacation and a short cruise the first week of May, when in a normal year is a nice time to save on a cruise vacation. I know the first week of December is also good but, I'm always leery of experiencing drastic temperature swings and any possibility of crap weather (snow/Ice). And, I'm not a fan of Holiday Creep. That's bad enough at home. Here's to better healthier times ahead.

Edited by zippyjet
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I am well into my seventies.  I am all but convinced that I won't be allowed on any of the 4 cruises I currently have booked through March 2022.

Upset and even angry that it won't be my decision to make.

Hmmm do you not think you’ll pass screening, that sucks 

Very interesting numbers on this poll:

• Cruisers who may increase their cruising habits 10.29%
  • Cruisers who may decrease their cruising habits 23.52%
  • That is a net decrease of 13.23%

I wonder what 13.23% less cruisers do to the bottom line revenue on RCL's balance sheet?

And then I wonder if 13.23% of staunch cruisers who come on CC and take this poll are voting negatively, what would be the negative percentage of the "average person" just walking on the street that doesn't cruise as much as us?

Have all of you seen the article posted (on another thread) of the 4 deaths on Zaandam? In fairness they are not publicizing exactly the cause of deaths, but regardless what they post you just know what the public is going to say the deaths are from.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

Hmmm do you not think you’ll pass screening, that sucks 

I think he means, no doctor is going to sign the note. ( it is the liability for them to sign)  I feel the same way.  We have 8 cruises booked thru to Feb. 2022 and might have to cancel them It is a waiting game.

• Like 2

Did 10 cruises last year and had 15 on the books this year.  Plan to continue to do around 10 each year.  I'll keep booking them and hoping they don't cancel them. Had three cancelled so far for March, April and May and I expect the two European cruises I have in Jun 20 will be cancelled.  Hopefully the two I just booked for May 20 will not be cancelled.

18 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Very interesting numbers on this poll:

• Cruisers who may increase their cruising habits 10.29%
  • Cruisers who may decrease their cruising habits 23.52%
  • That is a net decrease of 13.23%

I wonder what 13.23% less cruisers do to the bottom line revenue on RCL's balance sheet?

And then I wonder if 13.23% of staunch cruisers who come on CC and take this poll are voting negatively, what would be the negative percentage of the "average person" just walking on the street that doesn't cruise as much as us?

Have all of you seen the article posted (on another thread) of the 4 deaths on Zaandam? In fairness they are not publicizing exactly the cause of deaths, but regardless what they post you just know what the public is going to say the deaths are from.

I think it's a very safe assumption that the average person isn't going to want to cruise anytime soon. I know several people who were considering a cruise for their next vacation and now won't even consider it due to the stories on the news of ships full of sick passengers.

This virus is going to hurt a lot of people financially and as a result vacation travel as a whole will be down.  

• Thanks 1

So far we have had 4 cancelled.  We have another 12 booked over the next 12 months.  

The last few years we have spent about 5 months of each year on ships.  Because of cancelations we will not do as much this year.  Going forward we would like to cruise as much but will not booking as far ahead for a while. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, retiredgram said:

I think he means, no doctor is going to sign the note. ( it is the liability for them to sign)  I feel the same way.  We have 8 cruises booked thru to Feb. 2022 and might have to cancel them It is a waiting game.

They are signing indicating at that time that you are healthy with no current illness. Nothing else. I see nothing liable.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:13 PM, grandgeezer said:

By looking at the results so far, it appears that there will be less of these people cruising. 193 say they'll do more, 295 say less, and 110 say their done.  I doubt, if everybody stays in their category, the 193 people her were going balance the 405 who say they are either going to cut back or quit completely.

We are on cruisecritic, so people who voted are not average cruiser who cruises once every few years or less.   The ones who said "more" are not going to double their amount of cruise, so lets say they normally cruise 3 times a year... and add 1.   The net increase per year would be 193 more trips.    Assume the same with the other voters... everyone cruises 3 times a year.   It would be 295 * 1 + 110 * 3 = 625 less trips.   So it is really more like 193 vs 625.

Edited by lostchild

12 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

They are signing indicating at that time that you are healthy with no current illness. Nothing else. I see nothing liable.

Understand what you are saying.  There are a lot of seniors that have underlying health issues that are and have been controlled.  These issues do not affect their health and we go on with our everyday lives.  Part of the note in question:

I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart,

lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodefi ciency status due to HIV/AIDS or diabetes)

which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection

with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)/COVID-19.

I attest that this person is fi t to travel on a cruise vacation. 

There are plenty of people that suffer from these conditions and have them under control. If the CLIA does not care if you are controlled by medication, then we are not going to be able to cruise.  Maybe I am reading the note wrong.  Time will tell.

This is just my opinion.  Hopefully I am wrong

We only cruise once a year and I'm not giving that up. No way am I giving that up. May Oasis cancelled, rebooked for Sept. so same. This thing is not the fault of the cruises lines or the cruise ships itself. 

Agree that this is not a very uplifting poll if I'm a cruise line.  The general cruising public has got to have a more negative view than those of us here at CC.  That will hopefully translate into some good deals in the next couple of years.  Then again, I am continually amazed at how short the memory is for an average person.

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The general cruising public has got to have a more negative view than those of us here at CC.... Then again, I am continually amazed at how short the memory is for an average person.

Agreed. Good point re short term memory, but I'll make you a hefty bet that a mom (with a memory that lasts forever and ferocity to protect her children) and dad thinking about taking their 10 and 12 year olds (RCL's target market = families) on a RCL cruise will be looking out for the best interests of their children first and foremost. It will be an extremely easy choice for them to book a different vacation.

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Agreed. Good point re short term memory, but I'll make you a hefty bet that a mom (with a memory that lasts forever and ferocity to protect her children) and dad thinking about taking their 10 and 12 year olds (RCL's target market = families) on a RCL cruise will be looking out for the best interests of their children first and foremost. It will be an extremely easy choice for them to book a different vacation.

I wouldn't bet against you.  Unfortunately, I think your conference call survey will be very representative of the general public for quite a while.