Long time before cruising resumes

drkitkat123

On 3/24/2020 at 11:05 AM, pinotlover said:

When the industry goes back to work, my guess only around 5/1, what compensation from Oceania will or should cruisers expect if this virus spreads on the ship from earlier non symptomatic cruisers? 

ABSOLUTELY!

15 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

not in a million years will things be up and running by then...

Probably true if the people with the knowledge and the facts were  making the decisions.

-but isn't that how we got here in the first place?

-

• Like 6

Most troubling very recent news is Dr. Fauci's mention last night of possibility of another wave of the virus coming in the fall for Northern Hemisphere countries. His hope was that we will have made progress in learning how to treat/prevent individual cases by then. However it added greatly to my pessimism of returning to a world with cruising vacations anytime soon.

34 minutes ago, edgee said:

Most troubling very recent news is Dr. Fauci's mention last night of possibility of another wave of the virus coming in the fall for Northern Hemisphere countries.

So if that will be the case, we would not be able to cruise in Europe in Oct/Nov nor would Australia/S.America accept us coming there from N. Hemisphere in Jan/Feb - i.e. no cruising anywhere.

In addition to that I heard that as winter is approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, there are signs of increased COVID activity in that hemisphere (S. Africa).

The vaccine and/or treatment cannot come soon enough

Edited by Paulchili

41 minutes ago, edgee said:

Most troubling very recent news is Dr. Fauci's mention last night of possibility of another wave of the virus coming in the fall for Northern Hemisphere countries.

That's why we cancelled our early Sept. Baltic/Scandinavian cruise. Getting our deposit back and I don't think they're going to know in time if this is going to be seasonal or not. Or anything else.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

If it comes at all, especially a vaccine.

I am confident it will - just the timing is uncertain.

Since we have a vaccine for flu and life-saving treatment for the HIV virus, I don't see why in time they would not be able to tackle COVID as well.

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Since we have a vaccine for flu and life-saving treatment for the HIV virus, I don't see why in time they would not be able to tackle COVID as well.

This virus has made me wonder - too lazy to research it - if we don't have a vaccine for HIV because it is so treatable. But not universally. Also considering that our annual flu vaccine isn't all that effective and the flu isn't all that lethal...well, you see. It's intellectually interesting if nothing else.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Also considering that our annual flu vaccine isn't all that effective and the flu isn't all that lethal.

I've been taking the flu vaccine for many years now and have not had the flu since.

I would gladly accept the same odds for COVID 😉

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, clo said:

That's why we cancelled our early Sept. Baltic/Scandinavian cruise. Getting our deposit back and I don't think they're going to know in time if this is going to be seasonal or not. Or anything else.

According the the same source... this  Corona virus has been around for years and this current version is a mutation. of an existing version...   Viruses are cyclical... That's why every year they offer flu shots in the fall    "Cold and Flu season" Is a regular fact of life  we have all been dealing for all your lives. 

The virus just keeps on mutating.......  Perhaps  one factor  in its spread  was the robust Chinese economy and the tens of thousands of Chinese citizens  who went all over the world.    Europe  has been awash with huge numbers of them.... That may have been a big factor in  the spread that  was not present when bird flu , Swine flu and the others  .   Secondly China  was not telling  the rest of the world they had a problem till it go out of control in their country...  

Edited by Hawaiidan

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Most troubling very recent news is Dr. Fauci's mention last night of possibility of another wave of the virus coming in the fall for Northern Hemisphere countries. His hope was that we will have made progress in learning how to treat/prevent individual cases by then. However it added greatly to my pessimism of returning to a world with cruising vacations anytime soon.

I like Dr Fauci, he seems to be a straight shooter. I worry about his survival as a public government figure. Anything more would be political and I guess I shouldn't go there. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I've been taking the flu vaccine for many years now and have not had the flu since.

I would gladly accept the same odds for COVID 😉

I think your pretty safe Paul,...  the serious cases , that is the majority, they are saying ,all had 3 or more serious underlying health issues  before this flu arrived.    Just being old is not , it appears all that critical unless your old. have COPD, emphysema , cancer treatments that lower the immune system, CHF, Hypertension  and things  like that....  (Or frequenting BART)

19 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Viruses are cyclical... That's why every year they offer flu shots in the fall    "Cold and Flu season" Is a regular fact of life  we have all been dealing for all your lives. 

You are most likely right but we don't really know this.

SARS & MERS are not cyclical yet closely related to COVID-19

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just a  guess, but  your November med cruise should be in the mid 60's and  not fully into  the fall winter temps.... 

Poor Italy  got hit in full blown winter... spain too.... and well there was China.    From that view point your on the good side of the seasons.temp wise ..   Sept oct early november seem pretty safe in the med...  less so in N. Europe and UK

21 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Just a  guess, but  your November med cruise should be in the mid 60's and  not fully into  the fall winter temps.... 

Poor Italy  got hit in full blown winter... spain too.... and well there was China.    From that view point your on the good side of the seasons.temp wise ..   Sept oct early november seem pretty safe in the med...  less so in N. Europe and UK

Let's hope that you are right 😀

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

I like Dr Fauci, he seems to be a straight shooter. I worry about his survival as a public government figure. Anything more would be political and I guess I shouldn't go there. 

He's been in a high position for a very long time. I think he knows how to play the game IMO and I mean that in a very positive way.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

He's been in a high position for a very long time. I think he knows how to play the game IMO and I mean that in a very positive way.

Look at the history of high ranking officials in the current administration for the past 3 years. Very eye opening. But I wasn't going to get into politics. Some people you don't contradict. 

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Look at the mortality rates, Sars & Mers in the 30 and 40 %. The more testing that is done the lower you see the rate of around 4% for Covid 19 go lower. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Look at the history of high ranking officials in the current administration for the past 3 years. Very eye opening. But I wasn't going to get into politics. Some people you don't contradict. 

I know but, again, he can play whatever game seems to be required these days.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

well actually this a coronavirus and more closely related to the common cold which they have never been able to make a vaccine for. So who says an effective vaccine is even close?

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

Look at the mortality rates, Sars & Mers in the 30 and 40 %. The more testing that is done the lower you see the rate of around 4% for Covid 19 go lower. 

Although mortality for MERS was about 34%, the rate for SARS was "only" about 10%.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-sars-swine-flu-mers-zika-2020-3

If people would  just stay home & sacrifice some of there "all about me"  attitudes

they may have a chance to stop the spread

I have been staying in for weeks with short trips  to the grocery store  once  a week

My neighbours got back from Fla on the weekend & in spite of been told  by the Government to self isolate  they are out & about

Then we have all those  returning by planes  & stopping to shop on the way home

Just blows my mind  at the  selfishness of  some people

Be well  & stay safe

• Like 1