Cruiseline shutdowns

Thanks mic I. was considering a cruise up to Queensland in Dec/Jan. You might have saved me putting down a deposit. I was looking at them this week and put a hold on one with Princess on their website and they called me to ask me if I wanted to go ahead. I'm glad I said I wasn't sure yet.

11 minutes ago, christodan said:

Thanks mic I. was considering a cruise up to Queensland in Dec/Jan. You might have saved me putting down a deposit. I was looking at them this week and put a hold on one with Princess on their website and they called me to ask me if I wanted to go ahead. I'm glad I said I wasn't sure yet.

I hope I am doing you a favour and I do hope that cruises start happening sooner (this year) rather than later. But I certainly wouldn't be putting deposits on any cruise until the schedule is locked in and allowed by Australian authorities. And if anyone has any before December, my advice is move your cruises to later dates if and when you can.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I hope I am doing you a favour and I do hope that cruises start happening sooner (this year) rather than later. But I certainly wouldn't be putting deposits on any cruise until the schedule is locked in and allowed by Australian authorities. And if anyone has any before December, my advice is move your cruises to later dates if and when you can.

The beauty with booking Princess cruises using Future Cruuse Deposits is that you don't end u p putting a lot of money down on a cruise, and if you cancel outside of the calncellation penalty period (which is much shorter at the moment) your FCD just goes back on your Princess account ready to book another cruise.

At this point in time I wouldn't book a Dec/Jan cruise if I had to pay a full deposit.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, I just thought the headline didn't match the article (That's never happened before 🤔)

I just look at the Queensland Covid numbers and go wow they really kept a lid on it BC has about the same population but only half the area and sadly we have 167 deaths and I thought we were doing pretty well all things considered. Queensland has really excelled but perhaps getting a little out of hand?

The whole of Australia has excelled with just 102 deaths nation wide. In SA we haven't had community transmission for 60 days. Ruby rather decimated us, along with a group of Swiss and US tourists back in late March. Our economy though is wrecked. 

Edited by Pushka

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

The whole of Australia has excelled with just 102 deaths nation wide. In SA we haven't had community transmission for 60 days. Ruby rather decimated us, along with a group of Swiss and US tourists back in late March. Our economy though is wrecked. 

No Pushka, Ruby didn't decimate SA. That's an exaggeration. If it had the deaths would be in the tens of thousands. 😯 Certainly Ruby, or more probably NSW Health's handling of the Ruby outbreak, meant more cases in SA than there should have been though. SA has the advantage of not having the density (in more ways than one) of people in Adelaide compared with Melbourne and Sydney, but that may be a disadvantage in terms of the economy.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

One of my irks is seeing the incorrect use of the word decimated. It means reduced by 10%.

Or to destroy a great number or proportion of. It's one of my bugbears too.

45 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

One of my irks is seeing the incorrect use of the word decimated. It means reduced by 10%.

Unfortunately, people like to exaggerate to make things more interesting by making it sound more dramatic. e.g. Market crashes (when it goes down 3%), currency collapses (when it falls 1%), transport disaster (when there's a traffic jam).

Just has the opposite effect for me, the more dramatic it sounds, the more inaccurate it is and hence I distrust it more and don't listen to it. Hence, I don't even look at News limited stuff due to their inaccurate (as well as mostly inconsequential) reporting.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No Pushka, Ruby didn't decimate SA. That's an exaggeration. If it had the deaths would be in the tens of thousands. 😯 Certainly Ruby, or more probably NSW Health's handling of the Ruby outbreak, meant more cases in SA than there should have been though. SA has the advantage of not having the density (in more ways than one) of people in Adelaide compared with Melbourne and Sydney, but that may be a disadvantage in terms of the economy.

Not actually. In terms of clusters, Ruby Princess was the largest cluster in SA and in the order of 20% of all cluster cases here.

50% of our deaths from Covid in SA were passengers from Ruby. 

One man who was fit and healthy and in his sixties, has only just returned home from Hospital after 3 weeks in a coma. And obviously months trying to recover in Hospital. He is now dealing with organ failure. 

I'm sticking with my words for the Covid issues in SA caused by Ruby. Irksome or not for some. . 😉

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Not actually. In terms of clusters, Ruby Princess was the largest cluster in SA and in the order of 20% of all cluster cases here.

50% of our deaths from Covid in SA were passengers from Ruby. 

One man who was fit and healthy and in his sixties, has only just returned home from Hospital after 3 weeks in a coma. And obviously months trying to recover in Hospital. He is now dealing with organ failure. 

I'm sticking with my words for the Covid issues in SA caused by Ruby. Irksome or not for some. . 😉

Okay let my feeble Canadian brain digest this. Out of a population of 1.67 million people in South Australia there were 440 cases of Covid 19 and 4 deaths. Do I have that correct?

So 50% of the 4 deaths in South Australia is 2 that were related to Ruby Princess, have I got that right? All the lives lost to this virus are tragic but I wonder how many deaths have come as a result of traffic accidents in South Australia in the last 3 months. I think we need to put this in context of all the perils we face every day.

To suggest that Covid 19 has "decimated" South Australia is simply exaggerating the situation. Quick action definitely  helped keep the incidents of the virus low throughout Australia but I don't think "decimate" is an appropriate term for the effects of the virus in relationship to lives lost anywhere in Australia. The term decimate is however an appropriate term for the effects of the virus on economies throughout the world.

Like I said all lives lost are tragic and those who will have long lasting effects from contact with this virus have my sympathy and respect; however overstating your argument by using percentages does not help your case. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I read this week that Pullmantur Cruises , the Spanish arm of ROyal Caribbean ,  have put their fleet into what they call ... cold storage .🛳

Thanks David, Pullmantur might even be in the deep freeze section.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Disappointing when they get journalists who don't bother to get it right: "With the collapse of Virgin a few months ago, Qantas became the sole remaining option for domestic air travel."

Um, no it's not. VA is still operating, just under administration. Which just means different management until its future ownership is sorted. And a likelihood that it will continue on. Plus there's also Rex and Jet*. All have flights operating right now, so there's certainly not only one option.

As for Joyce's decision though, that's understandable. He still has 15000 intl crew, but doesn't need the extra 6000 for quite some time so they were made redundant. As said in his comment, flights can restart before them, but there isn't the need for what it was before for some time.