I am going through cruise withdrawal..anyone else?

sandycruzr

A good diversion during these trying times.  So little posted lately on these boards.  Everyone appreciates the seriousness of the the current state of affairs but a little diversion is appreciated.  Stay healthy everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teecee60 said:

THAT... is a seriously positive attitude!  Just out of curiosity, what time frame are those cruises???

October and beyond.  😊

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Texed said:

October and beyond.  😊

Sounds good to me, we have 3 lined up but the one in  May on the Summit does not look good, but that's ok we have 2 in the fall, early and late.

• Like 1

No withdrawal.

The stark realities of cruising are increasingly laid bare to the world. Excellent.

Add in constant downgrading, ignoring non suite class, offshore ownership, constant hiding behind the "contract", cruising is getting what it deserves.

Consumers will hopefully expand their vacation options analysis because there is a big world of travel methods out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope, Celebrity left all my March 15th fellow passengers stranded in Chile, return flights on their own.  With all the sneaky infections being covered up off of 3 X ships now, I don't wish to possibly have infected others in the community.  

I continue to be amazed at the outcry in 2015, when Celebrity cut the fresh squeezed OJ from the buffet, the vast majority on CC threatening to quit, "How much more of these cuts can we take?  Which line should we jump to?

Fast forward to 2020, and people's lives are literally put at risk from deceit, thousands of dollars in airfare responsibility avoidance, but hey, I guess no new changes to the orange juice.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Nope, Celebrity left all my March 15th fellow passengers stranded in Chile, return flights on their own.  With all the sneaky infections being covered up off of 3 X ships now, I don't wish to possibly have infected others in the community.  

I continue to be amazed at the outcry in 2015, when Celebrity cut the fresh squeezed OJ from the buffet, the vast majority on CC threatening to quit, "How much more of these cuts can we take?  Which line should we jump to?

Fast forward to 2020, and people's lives are literally put at risk from deceit, thousands of dollars in airfare responsibility avoidance, but hey, I guess no new changes to the orange juice.

Are you indicating that passengers who made and paid for air through X were left stranded in Chile to their own devices to get home?

bon voyage

59 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Are you indicating that passengers who made and paid for air through X were left stranded in Chile to their own devices to get home?

bon voyage

Those that made and paid for air though X, presumably were all honored on their flights to Chile.  If they were able to get to San Diego somehow, I'm sure those flights would have been honored as well.  

Royal Caribbean International canceled all sailings starting March 13th, where X made a special exception for Eclipse March 15th, encouraging passengers to continue with their travel plans.  Chile cancelled all cruise travel on the 15th.  X failed to inform everyone, many catching shuttles to San Antonio, not being officially notified until the 16th.  All return travel expenses were on passenger's dime.

I personally invited family onto this cruise, who made it out on the last American Airlines flight to the US.  Very controversial move on Celebrity's part, where the passengers ended up with all the risk.

There is also the issue with cancelled non-refundable airfare, booked through X, leading into the summer.  Chasing down your own voucher, for an airline that may not be in business next year, or with a regional airline you have no intention of using in 2021, puts additional risk on the passenger.

I've complained about food and maintenance, Edge modifications, but much of that is subjective, or been fixed.  It seems like small potatoes by comparison, March 2020 is not X's finest hour. 

• Like 1

I am definitely suffering cruise withdrawal. I cancelled a planned Caribbean cruise for February due to my companion's ill health and we re-booked for October, on a sailing from Southampton. When the February cruise date arrived I was thinking - should be sailing now! But, never mind, we still have October to look forward to.

I keep looking through the Cruise Planner and working through all the options. Shore excursions, dining, etc. Hopefully the cruise industry will be up and running by October, but my new fear is - will Silhouette make it to Southampton? Now the Transatlantic is cancelled, will it be rescheduled? I am still hoping and planning, but thinking I may need to start planning for 2021. I love planning, but really need the cruise to be at the end of it all 🍹

5 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Those that made and paid for air though X, presumably were all honored on their flights to Chile.  If they were able to get to San Diego somehow, I'm sure those flights would have been honored as well.  

Royal Caribbean International canceled all sailings starting March 13th, where X made a special exception for Eclipse March 15th, encouraging passengers to continue with their travel plans.  Chile cancelled all cruise travel on the 15th.  X failed to inform everyone, many catching shuttles to San Antonio, not being officially notified until the 16th.  All return travel expenses were on passenger's dime.

I personally invited family onto this cruise, who made it out on the last American Airlines flight to the US.  Very controversial move on Celebrity's part, where the passengers ended up with all the risk.

There is also the issue with cancelled non-refundable airfare, booked through X, leading into the summer.  Chasing down your own voucher, for an airline that may not be in business next year, or with a regional airline you have no intention of using in 2021, puts additional risk on the passenger.

I've complained about food and maintenance, Edge modifications, but much of that is subjective, or been fixed.  It seems like small potatoes by comparison, March 2020 is not X's finest hour. 

Okay, so my question was answered, possibly, X did take care of those who purchased air through them.

On another thread, a group that were sailing in Australia when this broke out, were accommodated on flights they purchased through X. Thus you had me baffled by the post which appeared to indicate they did otherwise.

Now you have indicated that there are passengers who have booked 'non-refundable' air through X have to chase down their vouchers through the airlines. Yes, I have read that some passengers were told to contact the airline direct about their vouchers and the airlines indicated that they need to go back to X. As I understood it, this was in the case where the passenger canceled their sailings and not X. When X cancelled things were handled.

Back to what I presume the real complaint is, those passengers who chose to purchase air, hotels and other travel amenities on their own believe that X should have taken care of them?

While that would have been nice, overtly nice to be sure, the passenger chose to do this part of the sailing independently. Did passengers inquire on-board before dis-embarkation or call X or X's air desk to seek assistance, if possible?

My next question would be, did passengers reach out to their 3rd party travel insurance carrier for reimbursement and/or assistance? Most insurance companies have a 24 hour hot-line. I do understand that in a crunch time, often we may not think of this, only how am I going to get home from here.

I do feel bad for the thousands of passengers who were caught up in this situation, it really is bad all around.

Thank you for the clarification and sorry that you and your friends, along with thousands of others who were caught off guard. It is horrendous, and has gone a long way to teach many of us a lesson about what can and does happen when traveling around the world and the need to do some 'what if' planning going forward even if we have never had an issue in the past.

In health and bon voyage

Diversions!  That's what we need to keep going.  Planning cruises and trips is a really good diversion.  Even if they have to be changed.  

We watched a pretty good movie last night called "Green Book".  It won three Oscars including Best Picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Pinboy said:

Cruise Withdrawal ???  Really ???

Feeling " bummed "  over missing a drink ??

I'd rather think how lucky I am to have cruised , will cruise again in the future , pass some time on CC and could absolutely care less when our next cruise will be. 

How about the people that have lost their jobs, can't pay their rent , have little money for food , are taking a " beating " on the Stock Market, or are or have family or friends that are sick with this virus. 

Trust me, they are not having " Cruise Withdrawal " .

IMO--- At a time like this , to have " cruise withdrawal "  is quite selfish.

Where I am it's cold , windy, and we have been quarantined since we returned to Canada.  

OP states the obvious that there are people suffering and offered sympathy. Why are you even looking at cruise critic or this thread if you are so worried about the world. 

I feel devastated that people have lost their lives , jobs, and savings. I feel grateful to those health care providers and essential workers stocking shelves and delivering food and medicine. 

I am scared for my husband with health problems not only developing COVID but care for his condition if Er are overwhelmed 

BUT I can take a break and reminisce with my CC neighbors about the joys of cruising and still have compasssion for ALL the troubles of others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jonesdee said:

Why are you even looking at cruise critic or this thread if you are so worried about the world. 

CC is an excellent diversion from what's going on , an excellent insight into people and their opinions even though we really don't know who they are , plus it's an excellent learning tool about cruising .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Consumers will hopefully expand their vacation options analysis because there is a big world of travel methods out there.

We already do. Cruising is only one way we travel throughout the year. Those other planned trips also look like they possibly could be a no go this year. Bummer. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

CC is an excellent diversion from what's going on , an excellent insight into people and their opinions even though we really don't know who they are , plus it's an excellent learning tool about cruising .  

Does anyone want to house a gorgeous boxer for a few weeks.  She was diverted from her nightly constitutional and lost an argument with a skunk.

IMG_0657.JPG

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Does anyone want to house a gorgeous boxer for a few weeks.  She was diverted from her nightly constitutional and lost an argument with a skunk.

Hopefully the picture was taken prior to the argument with the skunk. 😉

Edited by davekathy

32 minutes ago, Argo. said:

IMG_0657.JPG

She's beautiful!  I'm going to date myself here but I recall an episode of the Partridge Family where they all got skunked and had to take a bath in tomato juice in order to get rid of the odor.  Not sure if that works but I always said that if I ever got skunked, I'd give it a try.  Good luck :-).

• Haha 2

There have been some very amusing photos and videos posted around the internet of people replicating their cruises to the best of their ability; for example, watching ocean waves on their big screen TV while sipping tropical drinks in their bathrobes.  In addition to trying to make our favorite onboard drinks, I thought about trying a few of the cruise line recipes found online.  OH... MY... GOODNESS... now I know why we all come back heavier than we left!!!   I'm pretty sure I gained 10 pounds just reading the recipes.  I may prefer Celebrity overall, but that "Carnival Cruise Lines Chocolate Melting Cake" is both pure evil and one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten (haven't made it at home in years, but just may have to do it again soon).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

I may prefer Celebrity overall, but that "Carnival Cruise Lines Chocolate Melting Cake" is both pure evil and one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten (haven't made it at home in years, but just may have to do it again soon).

I love that cake as well.  Do you have a link to the recipe?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches