Getting money back from non refundable Private Excursions

oskidunker

I have a few in Canada for a Sept cruise. If I cancel the cruise I guess the next step is trying to get money back from these operators who required payment in full when I booked. One says refund only if ship doesn't dock. So if cruise cancelled they should refund. 

If they refuse to refund I guess you can dispute with credit card. Should be interesting. I also have an Amtrak

trip paid for from New York to Montreal. anyone canceled any private tours?

20 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I have a few in Canada for a Sept cruise. If I cancel the cruise I guess the next step is trying to get money back from these operators who required payment in full when I booked. One says refund only if ship doesn't dock. So if cruise cancelled they should refund. 

If they refuse to refund I guess you can dispute with credit card. Should be interesting. I also have an Amtrak

Try contacting them now and ask if they are making exceptions. 
last resort contact credit card having all booking info receipts to give them for a dispute 

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I agree, if the cruise is cancelled, then it cannot dock and under their policy you should get a refund.

But if you cancel on your own and the ship does go there, even without you, you would not be due a refund.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All tours, especially the private ones NEVER gurantee a refund. They have to purchase tickets to museum, theatres  and etc. are not refundable and the tourist agencies dont want to lose money. Simply, they cannot afford it. In any case, think twice when you book such tours. Be aware that you might lose your money if anything happens 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I had 4 independent tours booked for Alaska and all the vendors are either refunding my money or transferring the money to my 2021 booking with them.

Yes, this has been my experience in the past. I research carefully and choose wisely. In these circumstances you should get your refund if ship cancels and will not dock there. Recourse is dispute charge on credit card. 

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

All tours, especially the private ones NEVER gurantee a refund. They have to purchase tickets to museum, theatres  and etc. are not refundable and the tourist agencies dont want to lose money. Simply, they cannot afford it. In any case, think twice when you book such tours. Be aware that you might lose your money if anything happens 

ALL tours NEVER guarantee a refund? As you can see from other posters, this is factually incorrect.

I will continue to book private excursions - gladly. I do check cancellation policies before I book. Almost always a private excursion is more personal, smaller groups, often longer, often less expensive. I will take that trade off in a heartbeat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Also have an Amtrak trip paid for from ny to montreal. That may be problematic 

Check Amtrak policy. https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy unless you booked 'saver' fares it can be cancelled and refunded (timeline differs between value - flexible - business - premium)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Did you book these knowing they had a no refund policy? If you cancel the cruise, how is it fair to expect a refund if that's what you originally booked? How is if fair to dispute through your credit card?

Edited by mammajamma2013
Changed my mind about a comment
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

ALL tours NEVER guarantee a refund? As you can see from other posters, this is factually incorrect.

I will continue to book private excursions - gladly. I do check cancellation policies before I book. Almost always a private excursion is more personal, smaller groups, often longer, often less expensive. I will take that trade off in a heartbeat.

I book almost exclusively with private excursions and always ask the refund policy for instances when the ship cannot dock.  If there is no refund or if the vendor is cagey with an answer, I usually find a different vendor/excursion.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 7:20 AM, oskidunker said:

Also have an Amtrak trip paid for from ny to montreal. That may be problematic 

I cancelled a New York / Washington DC yesterday that was non refundable. I got an email advising 100%=refund to credit card.

I have successful in cancelling tours for clients that were tagged as non-refundable during the virus issue. I start the dialogue by asking them if they will make an exception based on the unusual and unforeseen circumstances of COVID-19. My original ask is for a refund. If they are unwilling to provide a refund, then I ask if the tour can be rescheduled for a date in 2021.  Thus far, most tour guides/tour operators are happy to oblige, as they want to be able to return to business as well. 

• Thanks 1

Always ask the tour operator first. If they’re unwilling to refund your money, check your travel insurance policy. I once booked a tour billed as non refundable even if the ship didn’t dock. After emailing them, they finally agreed to a refund. My insurance policy would have covered it if they had not.