Article: "Five Stages of Travel Grief"

Kartgv

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I surely did not consider your post to be of one who is self-centered.  Expressing sadness is an emotion that I feel every time I watch a ship sail from Port Everglades or the Port of Miami with no guests.  CC is the perfect site to share our sadness with others who feel the same.  I am thankful that the site exists!

X2.  

I guess I don't understand.   It is OK to spend a bucket of money on extravagant travel but it is not OK to express disappointment if the travel is cancelled?  Makes no sense to me.  

29 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

When someone expresses their feeling,

Perhaps they shouldn't express it on sites like this. At least with FB I know almost everyone who's a "friend."

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes!  

But, once this crisis has past, will we "forget again"?

I don't think most people will forget some lessons we are learning, but if course there are always the fools and weak minded amongst us. us

I'm a historian who concentrates on immigration before WWI and also the  WWII in Europe. The severe life experience was part of these generations DNA. Their children who didn't suffer with them may have scoffed, but the person living through it didn't. Those of us who had parents who lived through the Great Depression and WWII can attest to this.

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I don't think most people will forget some lessons we are learning, but if course there are always the fools and weak minded amongst us. us

I'm a historian who concentrates on immigration before WWI and also the  WWII in Europe. The severe life experience was part of these generations DNA. Their children who didn't suffer with them may have scoffed, but the person living through it didn't. Those of us who had parents who lived through the Great Depression and WWII can attest to this.

And then there are those who think the Holocaust never happened.

12 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

This health and probably economic crisis we are experiencing will become a part of this generation's DNA.  Those of my age were children during WWII. We know only what our grand-parents and are parents shared with us as to how it impacted them and our family.  Remembering my lessons from them and with my faith, I am sure that the Sun will rise tomorrow and we will muddle through this crisis as best we can.    

Our educational system has done an extraordinarily poor job in educating recent generations about American and World History as well as Civics.  As a retired educator, I am ashamed as to what has happened in that area of education.  That lack of knowledge/understanding has contributed to the fear, the panic buying of toilet paper, etc. that too many of our citizens have.       

22 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Well said.  I find others who chastise other's feelings to be quite insensitive. Personally, I think most of us will emerge from this with a better appreciation for all the wonderful things we have or had in our lives. When someone expresses their feeling, they shouldn't be treated to a lecture from someone who doesn't know their situation or what they are going through. I don't have the same concerns, aspirations, or issues as others, but I can understand their sadness and disappointment during this time.

Very well said. I was amongst one of the people to make it on one of the "last rounds" of cruise ships and returned March 12. I feel very fortunate to have been able to go while others were denied shortly after, and who knows for how long. Regardless, I should feel fortunate to have been able to go Coronavirus situation or not. Many people never get to go. I could only imagine how bummed I would be if my cruise got cancelled, only to be met with comments on how insensitive I was being because people were dying.

17 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

My folks lived through the great depression.  One side came to California as part of the dust bowl migration.   We grew up knowing and appreciating thriftiness.  To this day it bugs me if I have to toss away something like a bent nail instead of putting it in the old coffee can for possible use later.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

My folks lived through the great depression.  One side came to California as part of the dust bowl migration.   We grew up knowing and appreciating thriftiness.  To this day it bugs me if I have to toss away something like a bent nail instead of putting it in the old coffee can for possible use later.  

I know what you mean. My late parents also lived through the depression. I have recently been cleaning out their house to sell it, and cannot believe the things I have found such as a birthday card from 1992 or two almost full Lysol spray cans with a price sticker from Jamesway (they closed all their stores in 1995 and I think the local one a year or two earlier). And those are only a few examples.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I know what you mean. My late parents also lived through the depression. I have recently been cleaning out their house to sell it, and cannot believe the things I have found such as a birthday card from 1992 or two almost full Lysol spray cans with a price sticker from Jamesway (they closed all their stores in 1995 and I think the local one a year or two earlier). And those are only a few examples.

That's new stuff 😉 Going through my Grandmother's estate I have found receipts from the 1960's and newspapers from the 1980's.  

One set of grandparents was born in the early 1900's and the other set 1917 and 1921, so even though I'm younger I can appreciate the scarcity mindset and not being wasteful.  (On the flip side though, I see a lot of waste from that generation too like the Jamesway Lysol cans).

54 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

That's new stuff 😉 Going through my Grandmother's estate I have found receipts from the 1960's and newspapers from the 1980's.  

One set of grandparents was born in the early 1900's and the other set 1917 and 1921, so even though I'm younger I can appreciate the scarcity mindset and not being wasteful.  (On the flip side though, I see a lot of waste from that generation too like the Jamesway Lysol cans).

There was older stuff. I just cited a few of the examples.

I think part of the "waste" like the Jamesway products was more hoarding things that were on sale at the time.

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I am not a hoarder but I have newspapers and magazines from the 60’s.

When my father past away I found a program from a theatrical production that he attended in 1927,and various documents from the 20’s and 30’s.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Here's one save that makes no sense, and really made DW laugh since she was the one who found it. I don't know if it was for me or for one of my younger brothers, but there must have been pants that were too long. Somewhere about an inch of material was cut off from each pants leg, and for whatever reason was saved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Here's one save that makes no sense, and really made DW laugh since she was the one who found it. I don't know if it was for me or for one of my younger brothers, but there must have been pants that were too long. Somewhere about an inch of material was cut off from each pants leg, and for whatever reason was saved.

And here's another one. DW and I got married in the summer of 1977.  Earlier that year, her parents came upstate to meet my parents. My parents brought out several bottle of liquor. I asked where did that come from as I really had never seen them drink. Oh, those are from your bar mitzvah (1960). And when cleaning out the house, they were still there!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not a hoarder but I have newspapers and magazines from the 60’s.

When my father past away I found a program from a theatrical production that he attended in 1927,and various documents from the 20’s and 30’s.

I have newspapers and magazines from 1960’s mostly dealing with Mickey Mantle , I also have a copy of my grandfathers passport from the 1920’s he was born in Italy in early 1860’s and came to New York about 1890. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

I have newspapers and magazines from 1960’s mostly dealing with Mickey Mantle , I also have a copy of my grandfathers passport from the 1920’s he was born in Italy in early 1860’s and came to New York about 1890. 

I have my mothers actual passport from 1915 .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, George C said:

I do not have any Mickey Mantle Magazines but a guy that I grew up with played for the Yankees in the outfield with Mantle and I heard a lot of stories about Mantle.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not have any Mickey Mantle Magazines but a guy that I grew up with played for the Yankees in the outfield with Mantle and I heard a lot of stories about Mantle.

I read lots of books on Mickey and his life was really sad, there was a excellent best selling book on him “ the last boy” he died in Dallas in his early 60’s 

10 hours ago, George C said:

I read lots of books on Mickey and his life was really sad, there was a excellent best selling book on him “ the last boy” he died in Dallas in his early 60’s 

Mantle expressed regret at the way he lived his life. He expected to die young like his father and other male relatives. He did not take into account that as miners they inhaled lead and zinc dust and that was what led to Hodgkin's disease and death at young ages.