Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm working from home today (could have gone back to office a while ago, but I think I get more done here than at home).     Anyway, funny phone call on house landline.    A guy with a heavy indian accent called and said Hi Grandma.    first of all I am not a Grandma (as far as I know) I thought let's play.   

I said Hi how are you?    delay...then says he needs my help as soon as possible    I said why what happened    delay...then says he needs me to send his brother money to help get him out of a bad business deal.    

I told him, give me the information on where the police should contact you and your brother.     long delay, then hung up!   

My sister got a call supposedly from her adult son.  Muffled voice said he lost his wallet and needs money sent right away.  My sister asked her "son" what his sister's name was.  Guy mumbled and my sister said "spell it." Guy finally hug up. I think my sister got some satisfaction busting his chops.  Such a pity these unscrupulous crooks get away with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the cusp of boomer and Get X with a 1966 birthday.  I was a bit of pack rat who didn't throw stuff out.  We moved to the US a number of years ago and when we did we put a bunch of stuff into storage with the intent that we would move it all down at some point.  For years now I have been paying the storage fees.  Last year, while in Canada for such an extended period I finally got around to looking at the locker.  After calculating how much I have spent on storage on stuff that I have already replace at our home and all the stuff I'll never use again. I had paid 4 times over for the stuff that  I just couldn't part with.  

So I started taking pictures and posting on craigslist and blowing out anything that I could and taking to the dump the rest. I took almost two months but I went from a 10x10 locker packed to the roof to a 5x10 that is just about half empty. The only reason I didn't get down to 5x5 or eliminate it completely is because my mom passed and there are some things that I wanted to think about bear before disposing of.

Some of the stuff I was hanging onto was ridiculous.  Old power tools, junior high school year books, a jar of pennies, newspapers from every city we visited on our 2013 month long Europe tour, skis that were so old the top sheets were start to delaminate.  Old Ikea end tables that sell brand new for $10.  There was a whole bin devoted to car wax, glass cleaner and micro fibre cloths. Boxes and boxes of books.  Some I have no idea where they came from.

I'm glad to be rid of all now.  When I finally go back, once that border crossing travel becomes normal, I'll purge one more time and just keep the stuff that has the most significant memories.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I just returned from Lowes too. Stopped by to see if they had any squirrell proof bird feeders. I have tried everything and nothing works to keep them out of the bird feeders.

What we have done is put in a feeder just for the squirrels.  We got it at Bucees  and it is a big metal square with a smaller opening that leads to a pan with places for them to sit.  We hang it farther back in the yard.  Then we got squirrel resistant bird feeders and put them closer to the house.  For the most part the squirrels stay with their feeder and leave the birds to theirs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I remember the night he died

I'm at the age where Cat's in the Cradle chokes me up.😪

That's because I bet you were never that kind of a dad.

I don't remember where I read the following:  "The best thing a father can give his children is time."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to go to a interesting place for some concerts, Billy Bobs in Ft Worth, world’s biggest honky  Tonk , seats over 6,000 and there is a real rodeo in the corner. Normally would go to see Jerry Jeff Walker who recently passed but also saw Gordon Lightfoot there in the 1980’s and also Ricky Nelson about the same time , Ricky Nelson died in a plane crash on his way to play at Billy Bobs. 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I used to go to a interesting place for some concerts, Billy Bobs in Ft Worth, world’s biggest honky  Tonk , seats over 6,000 and there is a real rodeo in the corner. Normally would go to see Jerry Jeff Walker who recently passed but also saw Gordon Lightfoot there in the 1980’s and also Ricky Nelson about the same time , Ricky Nelson died in a plane crash on his way to play at Billy Bobs. 

I loved Ricky Nelson

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I just returned from Lowes too. Stopped by to see if they had any squirrell proof bird feeders. I have tried everything and nothing works to keep them out of the bird feeders.

No such thing as a squirrel proof bird feeder

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm on the cusp of boomer and Get X with a 1966 birthday.  I was a bit of pack rat who didn't throw stuff out.  We moved to the US a number of years ago and when we did we put a bunch of stuff into storage with the intent that we would move it all down at some point.  For years now I have been paying the storage fees.  Last year, while in Canada for such an extended period I finally got around to looking at the locker.  After calculating how much I have spent on storage on stuff that I have already replace at our home and all the stuff I'll never use again. I had paid 4 times over for the stuff that  I just couldn't part with.  

So I started taking pictures and posting on craigslist and blowing out anything that I could and taking to the dump the rest. I took almost two months but I went from a 10x10 locker packed to the roof to a 5x10 that is just about half empty. The only reason I didn't get down to 5x5 or eliminate it completely is because my mom passed and there are some things that I wanted to think about bear before disposing of.

Some of the stuff I was hanging onto was ridiculous.  Old power tools, junior high school year books, a jar of pennies, newspapers from every city we visited on our 2013 month long Europe tour, skis that were so old the top sheets were start to delaminate.  Old Ikea end tables that sell brand new for $10.  There was a whole bin devoted to car wax, glass cleaner and micro fibre cloths. Boxes and boxes of books.  Some I have no idea where they came from.

I'm glad to be rid of all now.  When I finally go back, once that border crossing travel becomes normal, I'll purge one more time and just keep the stuff that has the most significant memories.

We just had to move my 90+ year old mom out of her apartment into a full nursing home. Spent two hours yesterday shredding  her monthly bills, investment statements, et al from 2007 -2008. I'm keeping all the sympathy cards she got after my dad died that she had saved from the late 80's.  

The only reason I didn't get to 2009 etc. was that the shredder broke. Amazonie is delivering a new one tomorrow.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

But I'm a boomer, we have an unnatural affection for stuff.

My in-laws passed simultaneously 3 years ago. They had so much stuff it was mind boggling. Laura and I had to dispise of it. Sure we kept a few things, but most got pitched/donated. It was a pain in the ass. 

My adult children don't want anything, especially old concert stubs, cruise compasees, menus, etc..

This is the reality of the new millenium

My mother in law passed away 6 years ago.My wife and I went through her boxes of memories along with my wife’s sister.There was a book about Brooklyn NY and my sister in law decided that I should have it.My mother in law had 10 grand children and all of them wanted something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

We just had to move my 90+ year old mom out of her apartment into a full nursing home. Spent two hours yesterday shedding  her monthly bills, investment statements, et al from 2007 -2008. I'm keeping all the sympathy cards she got after my dad died that she saved from the late 80's.  

The only reason I didn't get to 2009 etc. was that the shedder broke. Amazonie is delivering a new one tomorrow.  

Oh my word the stuff I found that my mom had been keeping.  Unreal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

When I was young and had long hair I was told I looked like David Essex🤔

I had shoulder length hair and a beard like the guys in ZZ Top when I was in my 20’s. When I was in my teens I had a crew cut.

I still have a beard but it is short and white as is my hair.

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

We just had to move my 90+ year old mom out of her apartment into a full nursing home. Spent two hours yesterday shredding  her monthly bills, investment statements, et al from 2007 -2008. I'm keeping all the sympathy cards she got after my dad died that she had saved from the late 80's.  

The only reason I didn't get to 2009 etc. was that the shredder broke. Amazonie is delivering a new one tomorrow.  

My mom has spent much of the winter sorting through her stuff. At 79 I’m glad that she did. I took items she wanted to be donated, to the garbage etc. Even shredded some items for her here.  Over heated the shredder once but after 15 minutes she was ready again. 

I can understand how you just did not want to let go of some items. I still have some things that my dad gave to me, and he passed in 2003.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

When we cleaned out my Dad’s house last October, found that he’d kept every tax return he ever filed going back to 1953!  That plus all the “important” paperwork (ie: insurance claims, etc) in triplicate was just too much to shred. We ended up burning it in batches in our fire pit.  I can understand wanting to let your children decide which of your treasures they want, but maybe ask them now instead of them having to sort through it all at a difficult time. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Hiking along the ridge across from the little house we are renting for the week.  Another beautiful day. 🙂

20210504_100238.jpg

20210504_100327.jpg

You came just in time for some nice weather. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

My 95 year old mom is in a assisted living , she loves it. When my Dad passed a few years before she went thru some of the stuff she had one I never saw was a passport so he could visit relatives in Italy passport was from mid 1920’s , my grandmother and grandfather moved here from Italy in 1890. I am named after a uncle who passed away in France in WW1,  totally weird thing is my uncle who passed in 1917 had a sister who passed same day in nyc . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

You're a Boomer, GenX and Millennials dont want stuff, trust me.

Even Boomers don't want their parents stuff. We have no interest in the china, those old photos and all the other junk they were saving "for us to throw away".  It would have been more considerate if some pre-purging had been done. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

What we have done is put in a feeder just for the squirrels.  We got it at Bucees  and it is a big metal square with a smaller opening that leads to a pan with places for them to sit.  We hang it farther back in the yard.  Then we got squirrel resistant bird feeders and put them closer to the house.  For the most part the squirrels stay with their feeder and leave the birds to theirs.

Same thing here. Squirrels have their own feeder and leave the birdfeeder alone. 

Squirrel_Feeder.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I remember the night he died

I'm at the age where Cat's in the Cradle chokes me up.😪

That song and Cat Steven's Father and Son have always been very touching to me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Even Boomers don't want their parents stuff. We have no interest in the china, those old photos and all the other junk they were saving "for us to throw away".  It would have been more considerate if some pre-purging had been done. :classic_biggrin:

Exactly.  It may be hard to accept but a lot of that stuff will likely end up in a dumpster.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1