Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

No we do not have AC.

We live on the North East coast of England about 100 miles south of Scotland and we never get temperatures any where near like it is currently.

Shops have AC but no houses to my knowledge are built with AC installed certainly not in the North of England.

I was curious and checked google.  Google says only around 5% of homes in England have A/C, while Japan and the U.S. are around 90%.  

Here in Maryland we typically have around 50+ days a year above 90 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't you have to pay for Peacock? I'm not spending any more money to watch TV.

There are 3 levels of Peacock service. The basic one is free to all, then Peacock Plus for $4.99 and Peacock Plus Premium for $9.99.  Each level adds more content and few commercials.

I'm of the same mindset like you. I already pay cable TV + Netflix + Prime so I don't want to add another.  Fortunately, my cable company - Comcast Xfinity - included the Peacock Plus app for free.

One good thing about streaming service is that there are no contracts.  You can subscribe, binge watch the shows you like for a week, then unsubscribe. Oh, and password sharing. 🙂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My nephew Gary,his wife,teenage daughter and teenage son all tested for Covid this morning.

I have no idea how they can isolate in the same house .

Why would they need to isolate from each other if they all have covid?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

One good thing about streaming service is that there are no contracts.  You can subscribe, binge watch the shows you like for a week, then unsubscribe. Oh, and password sharing. 🙂

That's what I tried to do with Hulu. I went 4 months after cancelling then found a show I wanted to watch. Went back to restart my subscription and found out they never did cancel it. My fault for not checking my auto withdrawls but it would have been nice for them to cancel when I asked them to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Graham for asking, yes move went OK. Lovely little terrace house five min walk from the Thames . They have a small garden, which they didn't in the flat. I think they will miss London but hopefully will settle in quickly. 

And the flooring guys have just finished . Just some touching up with paint which we can do. New skirting boards and coving  done. Walls and ceilings were skimmed last week and we've done most of the painting 

20220719_142923.thumb.jpg.6f857a0c4e10472253fc84e772c7dce1.jpg

Beautiful.

We re-did our floors to a similar form of this called "Pergo" groove and glue.  

Dusts easily and cleans with my swifter.

Love it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

As Graham says hardly anyone has AC.  My son did buy an AC unit last year as they were worried about their new baby overheating and we have fans to keep cool. When I was working I loved going into the cool of Heathrow in the summer. Currently mid afternoon and 37c here in the South. 

When I went to pick Pauline up from work it was 40°C 104°F in the car and was that temperature for the 15 minutes drive to her office.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I heard that London Luton airport had to shut down temporarily as they repaired runway damage caused by the heat.  Also heard that there is concern that the heat may effect the railroad tracks.

The runway had melted and some railway lines were buckling with the heat so trains were traveling at half their normal speed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When I went to pick Pauline up from work it was 40°C 104°F in the car and was that temperature for the 15 minutes drive to her office.

Your car doesn't have AC?

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I forgot I hit quote yesterday but never responded.

Maryann, thanks for asking.  Foot hurts more now than when I was in rehab.  OT said it's because I'm doing more and although I keep weight off that leg, it still gets "used".  Unfortunately, I rely more on my happy pills at night so I can sleep pain free. Today (in 110 degree heat) I have a surgeon appointment.  

Apartment is coming along and will really feel like home once artwork and curtains are up.   Waiting for another 2 weeks for our "handyman" to get here.  Jack isn't sure which hooks to use.     Besides I don't think Jack is too steady on a ladder so for safety sake we rely on our guy.

Some of you have inspired me to plant tomatoes in pots on my balcony next summer!  

Take care Bonnie.

Good luck at your surgeon appointment and sending you our prayers for your recovery and for you to be pain free.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My DH and I decided that at least one evening a week we will sit on the deck or out in the yard by the fire pit and just relax and share uniterupted time. 

He gets out the fogger and sprays chemical warfare on our nuisance mosquitoes. 

Then he will light the citronella candles. Once he is done I appear and we sit and talk for hours. 

Well. Knowing I am super sensitive to bug bites I also apply Avons bug detergent. 

Well,  overkill did not work. Cortisone cream dose.  Damn they were itchy and painful. 

This week. Long pants. Spray. Laying blanket down. Citronella bonfire. Hazmat suite. 

67AA4418-2764-4F97-8A12-E3D193C5B3A3.jpeg

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My nephew Gary,his wife,teenage daughter and teenage son all tested for Covid this morning.

I have no idea how they can isolate in the same house .

Sending them our best wishes Lenny for mild symptoms and a quick recovery.

Graham.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yes!  I should have known.  I follow a Canadian photographer/videographer on YouTube named Peter McKinnon.  He did a great 23-minute short video on getting his "bucket shot"...a picture of Moraine Lake with snow in the mountains but the lake itself not yet frozen.  There's only a couple of week window in the fall when that can be done.  It's a nice video because it talks about the journey to get a great photo, not just the photo itself.  It's also a good reminder that we should act when given an opportunity.  I'm trying to do more of that...say yes when someone asks me to do something with them rather than find a reason to say no.  Experiences rather than possessions.  Here's the Morain Lake Bucket Shot.  One of Peter's Moraine Lake pictures also got put on a $30 Canadian silver coin.  Quite an honor.

That’s a Bucket Shot, for sure!

Once in a while, magic happens!

18 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

My DH and I decided that at least one evening a week we will sit on the deck or out in the yard by the fire pit and just relax and share uniterupted time. 

He gets out the fogger and sprays chemical warfare on our nuisance mosquitoes. 

Then he will light the citronella candles. Once he is done I appear and we sit and talk for hours. 

Well. Knowing I am super sensitive to bug bites I also apply Avons bug detergent. 

Well,  overkill did not work. Cortisone cream dose.  Damn they were itchy and painful. 

This week. Long pants. Spray. Laying blanket down. Citronella bonfire. Hazmat suite. 

67AA4418-2764-4F97-8A12-E3D193C5B3A3.jpeg

I'm sensitive to those bites so I know how you are feeling. We've tried just about everything else too. One thing that seems to work is a high powered fan. Mosquitos can't fly in heavy wind. The fan keeps them away from plus giving you a nice breeze.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes it does have AC.

It is only 1 month old.

What I meant was the outside temperature on the car temperature gauge stayed the same.

I saw the car. Couldn't imagine it wouldn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Why would they need to isolate from each other if they all have covid?

If you are sick do you want to be near other people who are sick ? The idea is to get better .They are doing the best that they can to be apart within the house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, NHProud said:

I received a text from my SIL yesterday and she had just heard on the news that less than 1% of Londoners have A/C . She found that astounding .  She lives in MN and is wilting in the heat and humidity.  She has taken students in study abroad programs twice to London . 

Central heat isn’t as popular over there, either, as it is here. 
My friend went to shampoo her hair while a guest in a London home. She thought the bottle was empty when nothing came out. 
The shampoo was frozen!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Graham for asking, yes move went OK. Lovely little terrace house five min walk from the Thames . They have a small garden, which they didn't in the flat. I think they will miss London but hopefully will settle in quickly. 

And the flooring guys have just finished . Just some touching up with paint which we can do. New skirting boards and coving  done. Walls and ceilings were skimmed last week and we've done most of the painting 

20220719_142923.thumb.jpg.6f857a0c4e10472253fc84e772c7dce1.jpg

Lovely! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm sensitive to those bites so I know how you are feeling. We've tried just about everything else too. One thing that seems to work is a high powered fan. Mosquitos can't fly in heavy wind. The fan keeps them away from plus giving you a nice breeze.

We have mosquitoes bad here.  So thankful we added the screened in area on the deck.  They even attached screen underneath the decking to stop the mosquitoes.   Now if it would only cool down.  Last week at sundown we went out.  It was between 85 and 90 with a bit of a breeze.   We were talking about how nice it felt.  A bit different than if it was that hot in April. 

• Like 2