Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

This is the generator we have.  We currently have a very small propane tank to run the range only.  I didn't want a big propane tank so this is what we went with.  Roger always has all his tractors filled with gas so we would have enough to run it for a long time.  We had an electrician install a place to plug it in and make sure that it won't hurt anyone working on the lines.  It will power both frigs, air conditioner, electronics, hot water heater and lights.  If we need to do laundry we can turn off the air conditioner while we do a tub.  It is enough to get us by during an extended outage.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Yesterday was a success.  I drove two skunks and 5 opossums in my car to a release site for an hour without incident!  My husband was sure the skunks would spray inside my car.  LOL

You are a brave soul if those skunks still had their stinkability!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, derorim said:

You are a brave soul if those skunks still had their stinkability!

They were fully loaded.  You just want to drive smoothly and steadily.  They only sprayed once the whole time they were at the refuge and that was when an intern had to give them meds.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Keksie said:

This is the generator we have.  We currently have a very small propane tank to run the range only.  I didn't want a big propane tank so this is what we went with.  Roger always has all his tractors filled with gas so we would have enough to run it for a long time.  We had an electrician install a place to plug it in and make sure that it won't hurt anyone working on the lines.  It will power both frigs, air conditioner, electronics, hot water heater and lights.  If we need to do laundry we can turn off the air conditioner while we do a tub.  It is enough to get us by during an extended outage.  

generator.thumb.jpeg.5b716dabb48f24ee8f1d4c975c7aebd8.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

We looked at that.  Instead had an electrician install a transfer switch into our panel and add a power inlet box for our 8k portable generator.  

We have power outages a couple times a year.  I'm sure it's saved enough food to pay for itself since install.  Having heat or AC was necessary when my 90 year old mom was living with us (not to mention a happy wife).  And the peace of mind was worth it too....

32 minutes ago, Keksie said:

If I didn't already have a whole house auto generator, this is what I think I'd do.  Most power outages here are fixed within 30-90 minutes.  So long as we leave the fridge closed, the food is fine, and the house temp won't change much in 30 minutes.  If it looks like it would be a longer outage, manually plug in the backup generator.  The full house auto generator is convenient but probably not worth the high install cost.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Keksie said:

generator.thumb.jpeg.5b716dabb48f24ee8f1d4c975c7aebd8.jpeg

Different generator but that's exactly what we did.  Our outages usually last 12-24 hours (not really rural, but we're on the edge of "civilization"...north of us is suburbs and cities, south of us is rural).  We can run everything we've needed to run.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Different generator but that's exactly what we did.  Our outages usually last 12-24 hours (not really rural, but we're on the edge of "civilization"...north of us is suburbs and cities, south of us is rural).  We can run everything we've needed to run.

So far our longest outage lasted 2 days after Hurricane Sally.  We had just moved in so didn't have the generator yet.  With all the gas my husband has stashed in tractors we could make it a week at least.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

So Jack had a sore throat yesterday with 101 fever. 

I'm sorry. Hopefully with mild symptoms he will get over it quickly. Hang in there.

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Maybe some company digging hit a line?

That is what I had thought at first as we have cable installers in the area but we got an email from the power company saying that a transformer blew at the sub station.

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I read a fabulous book by Lisa See called The Island of Sea Women. It's about the women free divers off Jeju Island.  Interesting family dynamics. One of my most favorite books to date.

It's amazing what free divers can do. 

I'll have to check that book out. I am still amazed that someone can hold their breath that long.

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I noticed you have made comments before about this and I got an email talking about the Voyager and Adventure. I didn’t know why and for the most part ignored it, but didn’t delete it either so today I decided to investigate. Turns out I booked a cruise for Dec 2023 on the Voyager over Christmas. 🤣  I normally don’t book over Christmas or Port Canaveral, but someone mentioned on the main board that there was a good deal. I shouldn’t have looked. I just hope they still put me in my hump cabin. Glad you had mentioned it again.

Let me know when you get changed over. So far mine is not changed. Thanks Renee.

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Buc'ees, off I-10 on the outskirts of Houston. 

The Brisket & Pulled Pork sandwiches are still tasty. Yes. I had both. Don't judge me, it was a long drive.😉

I've never been to Buc'ees but when we drive down to Galveston for our October cruise I am going to stop at one for the experience. I want to try their food. I heard great things about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Bonnie, sorry that Jack has Covid.  🤞 it will be mild and short.

About Paxlovid -- the jury is still out... There are side effects to take into account, and then there is the "rebound" phenomenon... Look at President Biden (and also our friend Rory who had it 3 weeks apart after using Paxlovid).

Jack has a video call coming in this morning from his doctor.  We'll see what he suggests.  My sister had the rebound effect taking it.  Tested negative after her initial positive, then positive again.  Her symptoms were super mild to none.

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sorry to hear Jack has caught covid. Is this the first time? 

Seems impossible to dodge indefinitely 

I hope he makes a speedy recovery and you don't catch it 🙏 

Yes, this is the first time, hopefully the last.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I wish those prices were here.  Yesterday I filled up at $4.42/gal.😒

Wow, Debbie, you're paying almost $1 more a gallon than what we're paying.

Again, good luck starting your new job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Glad to hear you are both recovered😀  hopefully test negative for your next sailing🤞

Thanks. All is good now, but decided not to go on Aug 5 sailing.

Good luck for your  the first day of work at the new job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Interesting thread over on the Norwegian side of Pearl hitting a fishing boat early this morning. 

On the news this morning they showed pictures of the Gem not Pearl. However, I think sometimes news networks just use stock photos with total disregard for the actual ship and at times even the actual cruise line. The fishing boat appeared to have a dented bow as if it sailed right into the cruise liner. Of course, thst is assuming they even showed to correct fishing boat.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

So Jack had a sore throat yesterday with 101 fever.  I KNEW he had covid even after testing negative.  Today, sure enough, positive!  Now I'm waiting for my test result to be positive....sigh.  I know it's inevitable. So far I have no symptoms.

Jack's fever is down to 100.4 and actually feels better.

We're both isolating for the duration.

Anyone take the covid medication (forget the name) and did it help shorten time and symptoms?  Tomorrow will be day 3 of Jack's symptoms and 2 days after a positive result.  Not sure he's eligible.

Hopefully Jack will be better very soon and you will not get Covid,Bonnie.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Jack has a video call coming in this morning from his doctor. 

😆 I read this wrong.  My age is showing.  😆   I read, Jack has a video called Coming in the morning from his doctor. 

I started wondering if he made the video or found it.  🤔 😆 

I hope he gets well quickly .

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Buc'ees, off I-10 on the outskirts of Houston. 

The Brisket & Pulled Pork sandwiches are still tasty. Yes. I had both. Don't judge me, it was a long drive.😉

20220731_223806.jpg

Dick is a Cracker Barrel fan, but he asked if there’s a Buc’ees on the way to Ft Lauderdale. He really likes their brisket sandwich. 
We tried the Nuggets, don’t see why their popularity. 

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

So Jack had a sore throat yesterday with 101 fever.  I KNEW he had covid even after testing negative.  Today, sure enough, positive!  Now I'm waiting for my test result to be positive....sigh.  I know it's inevitable. So far I have no symptoms.

Jack's fever is down to 100.4 and actually feels better.

We're both isolating for the duration.

Anyone take the covid medication (forget the name) and did it help shorten time and symptoms?  Tomorrow will be day 3 of Jack's symptoms and 2 days after a positive result.  Not sure he's eligible.

I’m sorry to read that. I hope it’s a mild case. 
Hopefully you won’t get it, too. At least if one person is well they can provide food and comfort. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Wiw that warns my heart. Us bourbon snobs are so happy to turn somebody to something new. That is what our community is all about. I was amazed what a difference adding a few drops of limestone water Howe it opens it up. Here’s a link to get some of the Buffalo Trace limestone water. It makes a huge difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Limestone-Mixing-1000ml-Decorative/dp/B095V5M2BW/ref=asc_df_B095V5M2BW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533378283277&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4513081720537089877&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020414&hvtargid=pla-1409640407189&psc=1

I stopped earlier today in our local ABC Liquor store to restock on "supplies".  While there, I asked about Uncle Nearest whiskey.  The manager said that they normally stock it but were currently out of stock because their supplier is also out of stock.  Word must be getting around. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I know there is one slightly north of Daytona.

There’s one north of St Augustine, but it’s less than 20 minutes from home. 
North of Daytona would be perfect. Thank you.