Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We got home early last night. Unfortunately Owen’s team lost two in a row yesterday. They had to play in consistent rain on a mound that was caking to the pitchers shoes. Our first game was at 10 and shortly after it started to rain. Our second game started at 2 and it was still raining when it ended at 4:30pm. The final game did occur yesterday so I can only imagine the mess then. 

It was horrible and the town does not allow the ball association to use drying agents like stall dry  on the clay mound.  They don’t want the mound ruined, not using it yesterday ruined the mound. At the end of the second game 1/4 of the mound was removed from it being raked away by the grounds crew. Our one pitcher probably scrapped 10lbs off his cleats during an inning. 

All that being said our boys did amazing. Third in the province is quite the accomplishment.  More importantly Owen came back from missing more than half the season without missing a beat. Their faces didn’t say that yesterday, but in due time it will fall into place. That ends the 2022 ball season. 

School starts Wednesday with football practice the same day and hockey on Thursday; and so it begins again. 

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We got home early last night. Unfortunately Owen’s team lost two in a row yesterday. They had to play in consistent rain on a mound that was caking to the pitchers shoes. Our first game was at 10 and shortly after it started to rain. Our second game started at 2 and it was still raining when it ended at 4:30pm. The final game did occur yesterday so I can only imagine the mess then. 

It was horrible and the town does not allow the ball association to use drying agents like stall dry  on the clay mound.  They don’t want the mound ruined, not using it yesterday ruined the mound. At the end of the second game 1/4 of the mound was removed from it being raked away by the grounds crew. Our one pitcher probably scrapped 10lbs off his cleats during an inning. 

All that being said our boys did amazing. Third in the province is quite the accomplishment.  More importantly Owen came back from missing more than half the season without missing a beat. Their faces didn’t say that yesterday, but in due time it will fall into place. That ends the 2022 ball season. 

School starts Wednesday with football practice the same day and hockey on Thursday; and so it begins again. 

Were they trying to squeeze in the games?  Baseball games are often played in light rain but anything more than that and they are delayed/cancelled, partly due to injury risk.  Strange that they would keep playing.  Although they lost, they'll remember the experience for the rest of their lives.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I have been following a Sydney couple for the past three weeks who have been on a scenic road trip from Sydney to Adelaide including the Great Ocean Road.  A trip DH and I did many years ago. 

Today, they posted photos of the painted silos they saw on their trip.  I believe you have something similar in the US but I thought you would enjoy these (shared with permission).

Kangaroo & Glossy Black Cockatoos at Kingscote on Kangaroo Island in South Australia.
2F26A662-31E4-459A-924E-5962EA2C2CF9.thumb.png.bb45427ac4000e184c5c6cbc7269e6fa.png

Squirrel Glider & Azure Kingfisher in Rochester, Victoria 

984E622D-A48B-4340-82AA-A9DCAB6B463D.thumb.jpeg.cd2e40c316c0d2f62811014962e44c3f.jpeg

A Superb Parrott in Picola, Victoria F5B1507B-DB0F-48A1-90D1-35CB58BC6CFA.thumb.png.e19308fd112c819fe4a8543f230cc105.png

A platypus in Rochester, Victoria 

2339E92C-90D8-4079-9595-104EF8F55E66.thumb.png.942f8f6a59beeeb27a8557df2ee0460a.png

The Australian Silo Art Trail is on my bucket list.  Something I plan to see in the future.

(don’t think I am permitted by cc to mention the account to give them credit)

This is so cool.  I've never heard of it, so I had to look it up.  There are a very large number of painted silos and water towers across Australia.  Yet another reason to visit your beautiful country.  Here's the website that I found.  And you're correct...at the bottom of the website is a link to a similar American Silo Art Trail, although with fewer silos/towers.  There's one near me in downtown Jacksonville.  I need to go check it out.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Here's a couple of pics of little Theodore (Theo) 💕

First few in hospital and the last pic at home this morning

IMG-20220902-WA0019.thumb.jpg.4d9bad4efab8271f109bb800ac9d797d.jpg

IMG-20220904-WA0014.thumb.jpg.68143b26aea1c69f997128d91dd30605.jpg

IMG-20220905-WA0000.thumb.jpg.33e356531ed8429dc86fa2c57cbc02e2.jpg

Baba is so adorable! Thanks for the pictures. Lovely family!
CC ate my previous post on sending hugs and kisses to Baba.🥰

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Here's a couple of pics of little Theodore (Theo) 💕

First few in hospital and the last pic at home this morning

What beautiful photos Sue of baby Theo. Welcome to world and congratulations to the family. Much love and joy is wished for you all.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

That's horrible. Plus you have the risk of serious injury to pitcher's knees from getting stuck in the mud. Sorry about the games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the first Labor Day I've had off in over 35 years. I always used to joke that Labor Day means I will be laboring. I think I'm really getting used to this retired life. Even better I am getting organized for our cruise. So tempting to start to pack but I won't. It is a great feeling when you lug the suitcases up from the basement.

967315649_ScreenShot2022-09-05at8_32_43AM.thumb.png.e49ffdd63efd491972b2109fd1d47cbb.png

• Like 15

@sgmn

Congratulations to your beautiful grand baby.  Theo.  Love the name.

@A&L_OntI am sure it is not the perfect outcome the team wanted, but what an accomplishment.

I know you and Lisa are so proud, and you are blessed to have such a talented young man.

Here's to a safe healthy school year, and a great Hockey season.  How did I miss that Owen also played football.  Be safe.

@grapau27

One day when I travel over the pond I am going to find out your secret to staying so in shape with all the fine dining you do............................great pictures, and your wife is so classy!!!!!!!!

@seadog

Just caught up on all the past many pages, since I just skimmed through them before.

Congratulations on the awesome weight loss.  Your hard work and dedication is really paying off.

@aussielozzie18

Beautiful pictures.  I wish I could have the courage to travel halfway around the world and visit your homeland, but cannot do at this time.  Keep them coming, loving your pictures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is the first Labor Day I've had off in over 35 years. I always used to joke that Labor Day means I will be laboring. I think I'm really getting used to this retired life. Even better I am getting organized for our cruise. So tempting to start to pack but I won't. It is a great feeling when you lug the suitcases up from the basement.

967315649_ScreenShot2022-09-05at8_32_43AM.thumb.png.e49ffdd63efd491972b2109fd1d47cbb.png

Right behind you, only I no longer have a basement.  Suitcases must be stored in a guest room closet.  Since we'll need some colder weather clothes in Alaska that we won't be wearing here for a few more months, we've actually started stacking piles of clothes in the corner of the bedroom.

image.thumb.png.3d575f7b556598c4d9a09c772a91ba93.png

image.thumb.png.0a6493886b7ff0e515e249fef09a3ea0.png

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

@sgmn

Congratulations to your beautiful grand baby.  Theo.  Love the name.

@A&L_OntI am sure it is not the perfect outcome the team wanted, but what an accomplishment.

I know you and Lisa are so proud, and you are blessed to have such a talented young man.

Here's to a safe healthy school year, and a great Hockey season.  How did I miss that Owen also played football.  Be safe.

@grapau27

One day when I travel over the pond I am going to find out your secret to staying so in shape with all the fine dining you do............................great pictures, and your wife is so classy!!!!!!!!

@seadog

Just caught up on all the past many pages, since I just skimmed through them before.

Congratulations on the awesome weight loss.  Your hard work and dedication is really paying off.

@aussielozzie18

Beautiful pictures.  I wish I could have the courage to travel halfway around the world and visit your homeland, but cannot do at this time.  Keep them coming, loving your pictures.

Thank you for your lovely words.

Lunch today.

IMG_20220905_133648.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Right behind you, only I no longer have a basement.  Suitcases must be stored in a guest room closet.  Since we'll need some colder weather clothes in Alaska that we won't be wearing here for a few more months, we've actually started stacking piles of clothes in the corner of the bedroom.

That Hawaii cruise looks fantastic.   I hope you post some pics. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@sunshine3601 The Windjammer was only open on one side most days even with the crowds.  The MDR seemed pretty well staffed though.  I also noticed not enough crew just checking on things, especially with some of the antics of this group.  Pool area had a lot of wandering little ones.

I pretty much avoided WJ on this sailing.   Went one morning for breakfast and found selection rather lame so I left.  Eric went one day for a burger and found it to be horrible so he left.  

Very true about wandering little ones as well as kids playing with elevators.  

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

Unhappily I'm not doing the Bella cruise so this is a good alternative. 

Anyone else who fancies it,  it's a great itinerary and a good price 

Sept 2023 from Tampa to the ABCs and coco cay, ending up in Boston 

Sorry you can't make the Bella cruise, but we will be joining you on the Tampa to Boston repositioning cruise.  We agree, it's a great itinerary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Interesting that you and I are going on cruises around the same time. Two cruises in two months we are so close yet far away. Are you going to review?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Were they trying to squeeze in the games?  Baseball games are often played in light rain but anything more than that and they are delayed/cancelled, partly due to injury risk.  Strange that they would keep playing. 

Yes, under normal circumstances the games are cancelled because of rain.  Lightening brings a 30 minute countdown delay with every flash.  That being said, this is the Provincial Finals and we travelled 3 hours to get to the host site. Our hotel was 3.5 hours from home. Sunday was to be the final day of games, and they do everything to not extend the games onto holiday Monday.  I honestly think the outcome could have been different even the weather was better but, it is what it is. 

We were lucky to only be 3 hours from home. Friends of ours travelled 6 hours one way for their son and they lost their games 2 straight on the Friday. They drove home that night and gave up their hotel payments. They rolled in well after midnight Friday evening.

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Although they lost, they'll remember the experience for the rest of their lives.

I don’t think Owen and friends will never forget this.  We as parents certainly won’t. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think I'm really getting used to this retired life. Even better I am getting organized for our cruise.

We were invited by friends to join them in Hilton Head.  At 1st it was a no go because the baby was expected to be born a few days ago.  Then they had things come up that made them questionif they should go.  Well Saturday it was a go for both families.   Packed Saturday night and took off yesterday!  Now that is the retired life!  Last minute fun trips.

• Like 11