Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

29 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thank you 😊 

It's all good now but was a bit traumatic. Baba was born on his due date, text book delivery, all going well until the last few minutes when he ingested some meconium into his stomach and lungs. So was floppy and not crying. Crash button was pushed and baba was whisked away for a few hours which was of course extremely scarey for them . 

He was on oxygen for 24 hours and antibiotics, but late last night they were told he can go home. 

We've had a couple of visits in hospital and got to cuddle him , very precious and perfect 🥰 

Hope to post some pics in a day or so

That was super scary.  So glad he is much better now and you have gotten some cuddles in.  Congratulations on the baba.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Much better thank you for asking. Yesterday I slept most of day. I monitored my blood pressure and it was good all day. I think I am going to chalk this up as overexertion and dehydration. I drank more water and gulped down some gatorade and felt more with it. I just think I have been pushing myself too much, plus lack of sleep, not enough water and exercising too much. I'm glad it's not covid. I do need to keep an eye on my blood pressure numbers as I have lost a lot of weight and my meds may need to be adjusted and hopefully some day get off them. Thank you for caring.

Glad you're feeling better Greg. 

You've done excellent with your diet and exercise regime.

I'm just back from my gym. They've installed brand new high tech equipment , so I've just had my induction. Will have to start going back again now after the summer off

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I was under the impression that EVERYBODY has a [city]sewer like us 😉

Same here, I guess there's some properties that are not on the mains in UK  but I've never know anyone 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Deb, Andy and middle DD, enjoy your trip, I have very fond memories from our Disney/instead of Bar-Mitzva trip with our boys...

I'm starting to feel like an "outsider" in "my" own thread.... Being a "city-girl" and always living in a building/aka "city sewer".... all this talk about "leach fields" and "septic tanks" sounds like Greek to me....

I was under the impression that EVERYBODY has a [city]sewer like us 😉

I've lived in suburban areas all of my life.  I don't think I've ever even seen a septic tank/field.  

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 2:52 AM, Sea Dog said:

So I just took a COVID test and it was negative but I got some weird stuff going on. Yesterday and today after my workout I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded with some vertigo issues. All today I’ve had a headache and felt really really tired. I took my blood pressure thinking maybe my blood pressure meds need to be amended as I’ve lost a lot of weight but it was in an acceptable range. Tonight I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some Kraft Mac-n-cheese and it tasted funky. So I’m going to bed early tonight and take another COVID test tomorrow. This is really weird. Anyone else have issues of dizziness before testing positive?

Still catching up but wanted to jump in here and say I hope by now you’re definitely feeling much better Greg.  I still have eight pages to go.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Finally upgraded my phone after 5 years. Actually wasn't even planned to upgrade for another year or so but since Verizon was willing to give me $800 credit for my old Samsung phone that's only worth $79 on Gazelle, I jumped on the upgrade train.

I must be getting old as I'm more frustrated on why things changed in the past 5 year more than embrace the "new and improved" like my kids would on their new phones.  Kept running into the "they don't have this in the current version" on how I wanted to set up the phone. 

Spent today looking at various YouTube videos on tips and tricks on how to use some of the new features of the phone.  I'm still old school in thinking they should provide written owners manual instruction inside the box on how to use some of the features...

20220831_190052.thumb.jpg.59fda55245dfde86c6ed51b6bda54b1b.jpg

Anyway, as I started the new installment of the Cheapo Dad trip report last week on the Princess board, we had an interesting conversation packing underwear over there such that I'm curious what this forum had to say.  The question is are you an over packer or under packer of underwear/socks on a cruise? 

For example, for a 7 night cruise, do you pack 8 pairs of underwear "just in case" you need an extra pair such that you are a +1 packer?  Or do you "double up" on a night as to pack light and be a -1 packer?

It seems the ladies that replied have said they are all + packers but their slob of husbands are minus packers in using underwear for more than one day. One husband is supposed to have worn his underwear for multiple days (although the claim was never confirmed by the spouse).

So just checking if it's really true men are mostly negative packers as claimed by their spouses? Any -5 packers here?

I'm a + packer.  The number of extra pairs of underwear depends on the length of the trip.  Always at least plus 1 but usually plus 2 if a week or more...especially if there's a chance of doing something that might make me sweaty.  Like Ken said, they don't take up much space.  Underwear/socks goes in first and fills in the spaces between the handles to build up a flat surface from which other clothes can then be neatly packed.  Once an engineer, always an engineer.

We still haven't figure out our packing strategy for our upcoming trip.  2 days in Seattle, 1 week Alaska cruise, 4 days in Vancouver, 9 day Vancouver to Hawaii cruise, 5 days in Kauai.  With travel days, 30 days total ranging from possible cold/wet in Alaska to hot/sunny in Hawaii.  We turn D+ on the Alaska cruise and may try the ship's laundry for underwear and t-shirts on the Hawaii cruise.  I've read that we shouldn't trust the ship's laundry for more than that.  Maybe we'll find a laundromat in Vancouver after the Alaska cruise is done.  We'll probably just end up taking 4 suitcases and overpacking.  We'll cross pack on the way there and seal up one of the suitcases with dirty Alaska only clothes after that cruise is done.  I'm really struggling with whether or not to take my camera bag.  What better places to have my real camera gear than Alaska and Hawaii, but it's an additional, heavy bag to lug everywhere.  I may just settle for shooting raw photos on my phone.  I've also been told that we need extra space for new things to come home with us.😁

• Like 10

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

Wear it with a track suit and see how many people think you're in a famous hip hop group!  LOL

😆🤣🤣 Don't forget the platform shoes!!!!

And again, thanks for answering the questions and the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Thank you 😊 

It's all good now but was a bit traumatic. Baba was born on his due date, text book delivery, all going well until the last few minutes when he ingested some meconium into his stomach and lungs. So was floppy and not crying. Crash button was pushed and baba was whisked away for a few hours which was of course extremely scarey for them . 

He was on oxygen for 24 hours and antibiotics, but late last night they were told he can go home. 

We've had a couple of visits in hospital and got to cuddle him , very precious and perfect 🥰 

Congratulations Sue!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Thank you 😊 

Congratulations Sue.

Pleased Baba is well and you got to cuddle him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Great news Sue even though you had some heart pounding moments. Love to see some pictures.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Glad you're feeling better Greg. 

You've done excellent with your diet and exercise regime.

I'm just back from my gym. They've installed brand new high tech equipment , so I've just had my induction. Will have to start going back again now after the summer off

Glad you back at it. I’m pleased that I’ve been able to do my workouts without going to a gym. At some point I may join a gym to fine tune but so far I’m having success here at home.

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

Still catching up but wanted to jump in here and say I hope by now you’re definitely feeling much better Greg.  I still have eight pages to go.

Thank you. It’s amazing what some rest and water will do for the body.

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

For example, for a 7 night cruise, do you pack 8 pairs of underwear "just in case" you need an extra pair such that you are a +1 packer?  Or do you "double up" on a night as to pack light and be a -1 packer?

So just checking if it's really true men are mostly negative packers as claimed by their spouses? Any -5 packers here?

I have to chuckle and that’s what I love about Dani’s thread. We talk about everything from septic tanks to how much underwear do you pack.

I’m a +Packer. Rather have too much than too little. Bottom line is that I pack for a large suitcase and a carry one. If I can’t get everything in those two suitcases it doesn’t go. Underwear is the one thing that I will change every day. Pants and shirts I may wear more than once. For the cruise in a couple of weeks I will only pack 4 pairs of pants to cover the 7 nights. The only other item I pack a lot of is my Sea Dog tee shirts. I’ll take at least 8 of those and I have 4 polos with the Sea Dog logo embroidered on also. If anyone sees me with my Sea Dog shirts come up and say hi.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good Morning and Happy Sunday.

When I get up in the morning I go to my computer and read the news first.  Then get a cup of coffee and come back on the computer and go on CC.

Today I was bothered by a local news story.

Background information.

Locally in the next county Mahoning is our traditional Labor Day weekend county fair.

Supposedly it is bigger and better than The Ohio State Fair.  (so they say).

We have gone to it on occasion, but it leaves a sour taste in my DH mouth.

It seems to be a "for profit fair"

It has ran forever and ever.

To Explain:

The best part of this fair is the Massive 4 H presence.

These kids raise and take care of all types of farm animals

They have special areas to present, get ribbons and sell their animals.

It is a great competition and we always spend a couple hours when we went seeing their hard work.

Now

Even before the Pandemic, it was pricey and some families were not able to go .

Our communities have both very rich and very poor families.  As many communities go we were also hit hard by the Pandemic.

Now parking is free, in grassy lots, and thankfully the drainage system is good so if it rains the areas are dry, but it it really rains the attendants just park you in a different zone.

And in the event you would get stuck, they have enough tractors to get you out.

There is an entrance fee, and varies the closer it gets to Labor day.

Ranges $8- $10 for adults.  Children less.

Senior citizens only have a discount the first few days.

Before the fair opens they have a students day................Usually Wednesday, but most of the schools are back in session..........so, few can enjoy.

Rides are priced that you can purchase for the early time or the late time, it is only good for half the day at a time.    Really no discount by buy full day ticket................(Unless it changed recently, we are not going this year).

Food was always pricey,  but one of the big farms south of here has a few food trailers out and offer discounts on some meals.............and they have done it for years.  They should be commended.

Other vendors, rows and rows of them say they had to re-price because of the Pandemic.

Now paying $12 for a steak sandwich, by the way was $8 last year well..... (New story).Water $3 a bottle.

If you go to one of the special grand stand events like the big name concert they bring in-- costs are typical concert fees, you still have to pay the entrance fee to the fair.  So add $10 on to your already purchased show ticket.

Well last night was a scary situation at the fair.

Fights broke out, guns came out, shots were fired.

Many Police agencies came to the fair to protect and evacuate innocent bystanders.

The media is releasing few details.

Do not know how many arrest were made.

Do not know if anyone hurt.

This bothered me because even though we do not go, families in our area do go with their children ---- this fair is a family event and I know there had to be many children there.

I can only hope all are safe.

Now today, rain and storms are predicted as well as tomorrow.

I have a feeling that many will not be going because of what happened.

And maybe the rain is a way of keeping people away and safe if something ugly is about to happen.

I am sure it will make national news.

On a side note.

Our Trumbull county fair is in July and it also has free parking.

And one fee to enter covers rides, and grandstand. (as I remember unless it changed in the past few years).

We rarely have a big name lead concert, mostly demolition derby's

You never know, when you could be in harms way.

Pray for safety.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Be safe

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Good Morning and Happy Sunday.

When I get up in the morning I go to my computer and read the news first.  Then get a cup of coffee and come back on the computer and go on CC.

Today I was bothered by a local news story.

Background information.

Locally in the next county Mahoning is our traditional Labor Day weekend county fair.

Supposedly it is bigger and better than The Ohio State Fair.  (so they say).

We have gone to it on occasion, but it leaves a sour taste in my DH mouth.

It seems to be a "for profit fair"

It has ran forever and ever.

To Explain:

The best part of this fair is the Massive 4 H presence.

These kids raise and take care of all types of farm animals

They have special areas to present, get ribbons and sell their animals.

It is a great competition and we always spend a couple hours when we went seeing their hard work.

Now

Even before the Pandemic, it was pricey and some families were not able to go .

Our communities have both very rich and very poor families.  As many communities go we were also hit hard by the Pandemic.

Now parking is free, in grassy lots, and thankfully the drainage system is good so if it rains the areas are dry, but it it really rains the attendants just park you in a different zone.

And in the event you would get stuck, they have enough tractors to get you out.

There is an entrance fee, and varies the closer it gets to Labor day.

Ranges $8- $10 for adults.  Children less.

Senior citizens only have a discount the first few days.

Before the fair opens they have a students day................Usually Wednesday, but most of the schools are back in session..........so, few can enjoy.

Rides are priced that you can purchase for the early time or the late time, it is only good for half the day at a time.    Really no discount by buy full day ticket................(Unless it changed recently, we are not going this year).

Food was always pricey,  but one of the big farms south of here has a few food trailers out and offer discounts on some meals.............and they have done it for years.  They should be commended.

Other vendors, rows and rows of them say they had to re-price because of the Pandemic.

Now paying $12 for a steak sandwich, by the way was $8 last year well..... (New story).Water $3 a bottle.

If you go to one of the special grand stand events like the big name concert they bring in-- costs are typical concert fees, you still have to pay the entrance fee to the fair.  So add $10 on to your already purchased show ticket.

Well last night was a scary situation at the fair.

Fights broke out, guns came out, shots were fired.

Many Police agencies came to the fair to protect and evacuate innocent bystanders.

Do not know how many arrest were made.

Do not know if anyone hurt.

This bothered me because even though we do not go, families in our area do go with their children ---- this fair is a family event and I know there had to be many children there.

I can only hope all are safe.

Now today, rain and storms are predicted as well as tomorrow.

I have a feeling that many will not be going because of what happened.

And maybe the rain is a way of keeping people away and safe if something ugly is about to happen.

I am sure it will make national news.

On a side note.

Our Trumbull county fair is in July and it also has free parking.

And one fee to enter covers rides, and grandstand. (as I remember unless it changed in the past few years).

We rarely have a big name lead concert, mostly demolition derby's

Pray for safety.

Be safe

Sad that a family oriented event turned into a gun fight.  I'm surprised that guns were allowed in the fair.  Maybe they aren't allowed but people brought them in anyway??  I've seen so many fights lately on social media.  I don't know if there are actually more fights now, or if social media means that more are published.  Either way, a sad state of affairs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m weird when it comes to pie. While I’ll eat a fruit pie if I have to I’d much rather have a chocolate pie or even better a French silk pie. I love chocolate.

I'm the same.  Much rather have some chocolate or peanut butter pie than apple or peach.  My fruit pie exception is key lime pie.  I can't get enough key lime pie.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It seems that our friend Jimbo will enjoy for a week his (and his wife's) very tasty apple pies without being able to share their photos with us... 😢

Did one of his comments catch up to him such that he's playing Monopoly?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Pray for safety.

Be safe

My guess (as a member of the media) the reason that they have not released few details is that they (the media) are not getting much information from the police since they are still doing their investigation. The media also wants to thoroughly confirm and attribute any information they get and verify it's truth. I'm sorry this happened. It's very sad the state we are in when you can't even go out and have a good time without fear of a fight or something more horrible happening.

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sad that a family oriented event turned into a gun fight.  I'm surprised that guns were allowed in the fair.  Maybe they aren't allowed but people brought them in anyway??  I've seen so many fights lately on social media.  I don't know if there are actually more fights now, or if social media means that more are published.  Either way, a sad state of affairs.

I really think that social media is part of the problem. We have become too much of a "Me" society. It's all about me and what I want. We have become too selfish as a society. It's now me instead of us.

Sad. This is just my opinion and to not be taken as anything more than that.

13 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm the same.  Much rather have some chocolate or peanut butter pie than apple or peach.  My fruit pie exception is key lime pie.  I can't get enough key lime pie.

Do you know I've never had key lime pie? I always get chocolate if available. I need to try some key lime on Symphony in a couple of weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My guess (as a member of the media) the reason that they have not released few details is that they (the media) are not getting much information from the police since they are still doing their investigation. The media also wants to thoroughly confirm and attribute any information they get and verify it's truth. I'm sorry this happened. It's very sad the state we are in when you can't even go out and have a good time without fear of a fight or something more horrible happening.

I really think that social media is part of the problem. We have become too much of a "Me" society. It's all about me and what I want. We have become too selfish as a society. It's now me instead of us.

Sad. This is just my opinion and to not be taken as anything more than that.

Do you know I've never had key lime pie? I always get chocolate if available. I need to try some key lime on Symphony in a couple of weeks.

Legitimate media will do what you said and verify truth before going public.  Unfortunately, there are many out there today who just want to be first with a story, whether they get the facts right or not.

I fully agree on social media.  It has so much potential for good, but I think it's doing a lot of harm to society and how people behave.  Even here on CC, people will say nasty things that I'm almost certain they wouldn't say in person.

There's a big difference between good and bad key lime pie.  Not sure which version Symphony will have.  If you don't like it on Symphony, be sure to give it another chance somewhere else in the Caribbean or preferably, the Florida Keys.  If you can find fresh key limes, or if you want to order key lime juice, I can recommend this recipe:

Copycat Kermit's Key Lime Pie Recipe - Recipes.net

• Like 3