Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

59 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have some of those glasses.    Look at those prices, any idea what year this is from?

And I bet the glasses then were larger.

Glad to read you're back to work and feeling better.

Jack and I were both still fatigued way after we tested negative after our covid bouts so try and take it easy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I got talking about Mai Tais in @Ozark_Kid John's live trip report.  Rather than clutter up his report thread, I'll move that discussion here.  We (again) got hooked on Mai Tais while in Hawaii.  Happens every time we're there. 😁  In an attempt to extend that Hawaiian vacation feeling as long as possible, the Mai Tai will be our drink of choice for a while.  Every bar in Hawaii seems to have their own twist on a mai tai recipe.  The Tahiti Nui bar on Kauai is supposed to have great mai tais, but they weren't open yet when we were there, and their recipe is a secret.  I asked several bartenders how they make their mai tais and there's a common base recipe, with a difference in the juices that they add.  Our favorite Mai Tai was at the Hula Grill on Maui.  The bartender there said they use POG juice but he said pineapple rather than the passion fruit juice that's typically considered to be the P in POG (orange and guava being the O and G).  I'm experimenting to see what tastes best.

Background - The original Mai Tai recipe, as created by Trader Vic, did not have much fruit juice in it.  Only some fresh squeezed lime juice.  Tourists however preferred the addition of some combination of pineapple juice, orange juice, guava juice, and passion fruit juice which made the drink sweeter.  The original recipe was aged rum, orange curacao, orgeat syrup, simple syrup, and lime juice.  I've made and like that recipe, but it's not very sweet.

So my science experiment started with happy hour today.  I made the original recipe but with some typical tropical twists,  For the rum, I started with a light rum and then added a dark rum floater.  For the juices, I subtracted the lime juice and instead added pineapple juice, orange juice, and guava juice.  It was very good...better than the original for my tastes...but still didn't taste quite like the best versions that we had in Hawaii.  It was a little too sweet, and maybe a little bit too orangey??  Round 2...I kept the same pineapple, orange, guava juice but added back a little bit of lime juice.  Better, the lime juice helped balance the sweetness, but still not perfect.  That's enough science for one night.

My next tweak to the recipe will be a change in the dark rum.  I'm not really using a true dark rum.  I'm using Appleton Estate aged Jamaican rum.  A true dark rum usually has molasses or caramel and a different flavor profile.  Off to the liquor store in the next couple of days to see what's available.  I've been told not to use a spiced rum like Kraken since its taste is too strong, but I think I'll try it...in the name of science of course.  If that still isn't perfect, I might tweak the ratio of pineapple juice (more), orange juice (less), and guava juice (slightly less).  If I can find it, I'll also try some passion fruit juice.  Of course, I'll share my results here.

I have most of Trader Vic’s and Beach Bum Berry’s books at my bar.  Lots of liquor and odd things that are hard to find today in those books.  

JC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I got talking about Mai Tais in @Ozark_Kid John's live trip report.  Rather than clutter up his report thread, I'll move that discussion here.  We (again) got hooked on Mai Tais while in Hawaii.  Happens every time we're there. 😁  In an attempt to extend that Hawaiian vacation feeling as long as possible, the Mai Tai will be our drink of choice for a while.  Every bar in Hawaii seems to have their own twist on a mai tai recipe.  The Tahiti Nui bar on Kauai is supposed to have great mai tais, but they weren't open yet when we were there, and their recipe is a secret.  I asked several bartenders how they make their mai tais and there's a common base recipe, with a difference in the juices that they add.  Our favorite Mai Tai was at the Hula Grill on Maui.  The bartender there said they use POG juice but he said pineapple rather than the passion fruit juice that's typically considered to be the P in POG (orange and guava being the O and G).  I'm experimenting to see what tastes best.

Background - The original Mai Tai recipe, as created by Trader Vic, did not have much fruit juice in it.  Only some fresh squeezed lime juice.  Tourists however preferred the addition of some combination of pineapple juice, orange juice, guava juice, and passion fruit juice which made the drink sweeter.  The original recipe was aged rum, orange curacao, orgeat syrup, simple syrup, and lime juice.  I've made and like that recipe, but it's not very sweet.

So my science experiment started with happy hour today.  I made the original recipe but with some typical tropical twists,  For the rum, I started with a light rum and then added a dark rum floater.  For the juices, I subtracted the lime juice and instead added pineapple juice, orange juice, and guava juice.  It was very good...better than the original for my tastes...but still didn't taste quite like the best versions that we had in Hawaii.  It was a little too sweet, and maybe a little bit too orangey??  Round 2...I kept the same pineapple, orange, guava juice but added back a little bit of lime juice.  Better, the lime juice helped balance the sweetness, but still not perfect.  That's enough science for one night.

My next tweak to the recipe will be a change in the dark rum.  I'm not really using a true dark rum.  I'm using Appleton Estate aged Jamaican rum.  A true dark rum usually has molasses or caramel and a different flavor profile.  Off to the liquor store in the next couple of days to see what's available.  I've been told not to use a spiced rum like Kraken since its taste is too strong, but I think I'll try it...in the name of science of course.  If that still isn't perfect, I might tweak the ratio of pineapple juice (more), orange juice (less), and guava juice (slightly less).  If I can find it, I'll also try some passion fruit juice.  Of course, I'll share my results here.

Where did you find guava juice?

Publix has Iberia guava juice,  but I want a glass full. I think they still have a guava juice drink, but that’s not the same. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

And I bet the glasses then were larger.

Glad to read you're back to work and feeling better.

Jack and I were both still fatigued way after we tested negative after our covid bouts so try and take it easy.

Fatigue is definitely an issue I am hearing from others too.   One guy at work that had it about a month ago said him and his wife are maybe 70% back to normal.  

All the other girls at work are all saying all they did was catnap during their time off.  

Headed to bed now.

Good night😍

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Are you on another cruise, Graham?  It looks like the windows behind you could be on a ship?  Food looks wonderful!

Hopefully you'll get caught up tomorrow, Debbie, but try not to overdo it!!

That sounds interesting, as well as delicious!

Thank you Maryann.

I hope your DH is recovering well and you are well too.

Graham 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keksie said:

Arrived in NC for our fun, fiber fest.  Not a bad view from the back yard.  

I learned something new today. Possum wool is the third warmest in the world. With hollow hair shafts it’s incredibly light and warm. Items will keep their shape better and some can be washed in the washing machine. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have most of Trader Vic’s and Beach Bum Berry’s books at my bar.  Lots of liquor and odd things that are hard to find today in those books.  

JC

Mike and I along with a few others have batched drinks with Jeff Berry at the Mai Kai. It was for an event for the Miami Renaissance Rum Festival back when it was bigger. Mike also has Trader Vic and Beachbum Berry’s books. Have you been to his bar in New Orleans? We haven’t.

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Where did you find guava juice?

Publix has Iberia guava juice,  but I want a glass full. I think they still have a guava juice drink, but that’s not the same. 

Harris Teeter.  It's the Goya Guava Nectar.  Publix has it on their website.  It was in the Mexican section at HT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I learned something new today. Possum wool is the third warmest in the world. With hollow hair shafts it’s incredibly light and warm. Items will keep their shape better and some can be washed in the washing machine. 

I’ve got a possum wool scarf from NZ.  Can confirm warmth & lightness although haven’t worn it in subzero temps…

• Like 5

14 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I love doing adventure stuff.  Not so much as I've gotten older, but I don't think I could ever do wing suit flying.  They fly SO fast and get SO close to things...scary to watch.  There always seems to be a small arch that they fly through, or a ledge that they clear within a couple of feet.  Not me.

Their  speed was the first thing I noticed.  They didn’t fly through gaps though but they kept flipping themselves  like pancakes.  They fly with their arms outstretched- what happens if they get a sudden itch and need to scratch, how does that affect their aerodynamics?

11 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I’ve just been scanning the posts this week, but I wanted to say I like snow. At least until March; then it gets a bit much.

I'd take Christmas Eve to New Years Day. 

11 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I feel I can release this photo of my grandson. It’s his first selfie! He’ll probably get more proficient later. My daughter doesn’t want any identifiable photos online, but you can’t tell much.

He was probably like, I see part of myself but not all of myself. How do I get into the image?

Glad to read that he is doing as best as possible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That is probably the Australian Possum.  I have a knitted a few things with that wool and it is very nice.

• Like 5

Think I’ve got middle aged brain fog (is that a thing?).  Late in the afternoon, I had to instruct a colleague on a task.  Told him he can do it on Monday.  He said I can do it tomorrow and I said, no Monday is fine.  He asked me again and I’m thinking why is he working on a Saturday?  Then as I am leaving I said to my colleague, have a great weekend.  She said aren’t you in tomorrow? I said, Saturday, no way.  She said tomorrow is Friday 🤦‍♀️
In my defence work is hectic and I’ve been out 3 nights in a row.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 10/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, h20skibum said:

Since we may be traveling to Erie today, I thought I would check the traffic cameras.

6C0AB94E-B3A7-4900-A255-C8CD4E399CB2.thumb.png.c422c902c29a99d92d1200d0956064a4.png

Looks like most of the area got a decent coating of snow, but traffic seems to be moving ok. 

I am not ready for this.  

Brrrrr, that looks so cold. We don't normally get snow until January down here in the South 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@ReneeFLL You asked about P-platers.  After  learner drivers have logged 120 hours of supervised driving (including 20hrs of night driving) and been driving for at least 10months, they do their driving test in their car and if they pass, they are then P-Plate drivers (Provisional drivers).  They can drive unsupervised but max speed is 100km/hr (even on freeway) and they cannot have more than 1 passenger in the car (except immediate family) between 11pm and 4am and there is a zero alcohol limit.  Initially they have white & green p-plates they must display on front and back of car when driving then they progress to red P plates (white square with red P).  It’s usually the red & white p-plates drivers that are reckless and known for speeding.

We have P plates too, they are for when you have newly passed your driving test and to indicate to other drivers you're not very experienced. But they aren't compulsory 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I can’t nap when he drives because I don’t dare take my eyes off the road.

I always have to be the driver.  I am a terrible passenger.  If I find myself getting sleepy I ask my husband to explain air speed versus ground speed.  If that doesn’t work I will, as a last resort, let him drive.  I’ll be wide awake in five white knuckled minutes.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Casual dinner with DH in Kirribilli after work tonight.  We shared a pizza and risotto.  Portions look small compared to the usual food photos shared in this group.  We are not big eaters though so they are ideal for us and for a tiny pizza/pasta place, the food was very tasty.BDB336D9-639C-498E-8FD1-EB7CED5AF16E.thumb.jpeg.e82e3afdbfd3fe164b8198fcbff425b7.jpeg

We then strolled down to the harbour front as I knew the Majestic Princess was due to depart.1230328C-8500-4A8E-8E9F-1F85E892307B.thumb.jpeg.ff3174bc60ddff3e230f2cbba2bd54cc.jpeg

Then a very pleasant walk around the lovely residential streets of Kirribilli on the way to the Theatre.  In two week’s time they will be a blaze of purple flowers.  McDougall Street where the Theatre is located is particularly well known for its avenue of flowering Jacaranda trees in early November. 
Despite the threat of rain we only had a few sprinkles and it was a pleasant 20C on our walk.  On the drive home,  after the 2.45hr play, the rain set in.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 14