Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Saturday we did a free walking tour.  We walked through a lot of piazzas and saw a lot of cathedrals. 

After the tour, we walked to the Central Market and then ate at where the locals eat.

B26569DA-C7D5-4FFF-A44A-62608A16BE78.thumb.jpeg.a03c15a1baf6c0e7f4d0118c544c8876.jpeg

I see flowers I like. 😁  Your pictures look amazing and glad you’re having a great time.

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It was a much needed quick, getaway.

Glad you and DSD had a great getaway.

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Had a fun day in Asheville today.  This is where we are staying.

790605496_SAFF1.thumb.jpeg.68fe325c0f7d512c4a941efea239891d.jpeg

Looks like a nice place. Hope everyone is enjoying it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I learned with our current cats that they pay absolutely no attention to where you are walking.  Total confidence that YOU will accommodate them.  I’ve learned to walk around my house always looking at my feet…. Anyone watching me from outside would think I have a serious neck injury…

We have to do that also. Always looking down. 

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

It’s a house.  Can’t downsize enough to fit into a condo…😜  Even if money were no object, I wouldn’t want to be directly on the beach.  You just get a lot more bang for your buck inland.

Congrats on finding a new home.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Places do go fast.  Two went under contract before we could look.  But we found one I’m happy with…close in a month.  Now all I have to do is line up movers, list this house, arrange an estate sale and tranquilize the cats.  I remember you had a bad experience with your furniture in your move.  Did you buy a separate policy for the move or rely on the moving company?  And what was the company again so I’ll know to avoid them!

WOW! I guess we are dumb & slow. You are so casual about that. Congratulations! We are going on three years, just trying to sell one and move from one house to another. That is impressive! Living here since 1969 doesn't help me either, though. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why are the Astros/Yankees game playing this game with the roof  open? Windy like crazy?

When the temperature and humidity are low enough and no threat of rain, the roof can be opened.  The TV broadcast said it was MLB's decision but a few artilces I found online said it was Houstons decision.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I heard from reliable sources that many Yankee players hated Girardi.I wonder what the current players think about Boone.My thinking is that if the Yankees are eliminated by Houston Boone will be gone.

I've heard the same about Girardi. Boone is known as a players manager and is criticized for cuddling his players and not holding them accountable.

2 hours ago, George C said:

I think unless Yankees win the World Series Boone needs to be replaced, there is too much talent on this team not to make the World Series in more than a decade. Would love to see Don Mattilingly wearing pinstripes again . Was at the game when he tied the record of 8 games with a home run , was also at the game when his streak was broken, there is always a huge amount of Yankees fans at games in Texas and he got a great standing ovation on his last at bat which was a double but stopped the streak. 

I agree, would love to see Mattinly as manager.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Something happened last night that reinforced my thinking that there is an energy surrounding us that shows itself when we least expect it. I think @A&L_OntAndrew knows what I mean.

I recently posted that Jack and I stayed at a friends summer home in the Atlantic City area before gambling came to town.  These friends were more than friends.  The husband, Mike, and Jack were business partners for 20+ years.

Mike, unfortunately, passed away approx.. 10 years ago and communication with his sons all but stopped. 

Why do I mention all of this?  Last night, Jack got a text from one of Mike’s sons, asking how we were and said he was thinking of us and how close our two families were, and the rich history that we all share.

So after 10 years, David, the son, chose a time when I had been thinking of his family, to reach out to us.

I firmly believe that a coincidence is a small miracle where G-d chose to remain silent.

There is a term for that. "God winks" was coined by Author Squire Rushnell. He has a series of books where he gathered stories of coincidences that are so astonishing, they could be interpreted as divine intervention. DW was a big believer in god winks. I would usually try to come up with a logical explanation but there were a some that left me wondering.....

• Like 9

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

There is a term for that. "God winks" was coined by Author Squire Rushnell. He has a series of books where he gathered stories of coincidences that are so astonishing, they could be interpreted as divine intervention. DW was a big believer in god winks. I would usually try to come up with a logical explanation but there were a some that left me wondering.....

Coincidentally, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal 10 days ago on coincidences.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/making-sense-of-coincidences-11665483811?st=q8p08dni0jq1l5w&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, brillohead said:

Oh Helen, I'm so glad you were able to make the trip!  Sending you tons of vibes from the Caribbean that Merv the Nerve behaves himself for your trip!

Thank you, Debbie.  Merv really has a mind of its own.  I hope you are having the most wonderful time on your multiple cruises!

On 10/15/2022 at 9:53 PM, Tree_skier said:

I'm envious!  I hope you and Marty have a great trip!

Thanks, Dave.  Are you getting excited for your Hawaii cruise?  That’s going to be a great cruise.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:49 PM, Luckynana said:

@FromSea2ShiningSeaThank you so much, Helen.  Jim is feeling good, just still pretty much exhausted.

Our Guardian Angel is always watching over us.  I know exactly the coin that you are talking about.  Every once in a while, they pop up in the mail.  Last year while in our Condo, I saw one and didn't know where it came from??

What an awful ordeal the man in the train station is and has been going through with his poor wife.  We all have to count our blessings.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  I'm so glad that you and Marty were able to go on your trip.  How are you feeling?🌹

We had to cancel a Transatlantic to Iceland in 2019 a week before, since I had gotten ill.  We just never know.....Once again, thank goodness for travel insurance.😉

Thank you for asking, I am feeling okay.  Hanging in there.  I am hoping that Jim is feeling better everyday and that you are taking good care of yourself as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

When the temperature and humidity are low enough and no threat of rain, the roof can be opened.  The TV broadcast said it was MLB's decision but a few artilces I found online said it was Houstons decision.

It used to be that the MLB dictates if Toronto has to have the dome open/closed during playoffs. For the last decade it has been closed because the MLB says it gives an advantage for home runs when open.  

It makes no sense to be because both teams would get the same advantage.🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It used to be that the MLB dictates if Toronto has to have the dome open/closed during playoffs. For the last decade it has been closed because the MLB says it gives an advantage for home runs when open.  

Is the dome kept closed because it provides an 'advantage' for home runs or because it 'increases the possibility' of home runs?  If the former, that makes little sense, if the latter... one could argue that a home run is just a single hit but provides at least one run scored.  Hits (especially doubles and triples and plays at the plate) are more exciting (at least to me) and still require the team to manufacture an RBI for, at least, the base runner.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've heard the same about Girardi. Boone is known as a players manager and is criticized for cuddling his players and not holding them accountable.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think by leaving the roof open it greatly helped Houston win that game last night. Because the wind knocked down Judge's long fly ball to the right field wall in the 8th inning which would have been a 2-run home run and would have gave the Yankees a 1 run lead and they might have won game #2 instead of being down 2 games to 0 right now. So leaving it open turned out to be a good move by Houston.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Is the dome kept closed because it provides an 'advantage' for home runs or because it 'increases the possibility' of home runs?  If the former, that makes little sense, if the latter... one could argue that a home run is just a single hit but provides at least one run scored.  Hits (especially doubles and triples and plays at the plate) are more exciting (at least to me) and still require the team to manufacture an RBI for, at least, the base runner.

I look at it this way, if it is open for both teams they have the same benefit.

If they only opened it for the Jays at the bottom of every inning then closed it for the top of every inning, that’s another story. We all know it takes about 30 minutes to open it so that could never happen. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think by leaving the roof open it greatly helped Houston win that game last night. Because the wind knocked down Judge's long fly ball to the right field wall in the 8th inning which would have been a 2-run home run and would have gave the Yankees a 1 run lead and they might have won game #2 instead of being down 2 games to 0 right now. So leaving it open turned out to be a good move by Houston.

It might have helped Houston but it’s not to say that it could have done the same to them as well. If the outfield wall had been a bit higher it would not have been called into question. I think I could almost reach over that wall. 

From what I have been reading up on the roof situations. It seems to be that the MLB has the final say. As per MLB rules, "During the postseason, the Commissioner or another designated official shall make all decisions regarding roof movement, in consultation with the home club and the umpire crew chief."

The article below is from 2022 that explains why Toronto’s roof is closed and is where I took the rule above from.  

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2022/10/heres-how-mlb-decides-whether-open-rogers-centre-roof-toronto/

This article below is from 2016 and it describes how the MLB has dictated to both the Jays and Houston, why they have the roof open or closed back then.  

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/alcs-2016-blue-jays-indians-roof-closed-rogers-centre-skydome-mlb-twins-metrodome-conspiracy/wk7t18pmasoy1ka08cc1c70al

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Some things just can't be explained.  And yes we are left wondering, oftentimes, when they happen.

• Like 3

Good morning.  I haven’t posted here for a couple days, but I have been enjoying the Italy pictures.  Also, glad you are back on the road to recovery from Covid, @Sunshine3601   And, congratulations on the new house @helen haywood

Yesterday was such a crappy day, I decided to put some things off till today.  Well, maybe not all crappy, because I did manage to squeeze in a nice filet and baked potato for supper. 

0C286470-D970-4D07-B5F1-F652640A15EB.thumb.jpeg.61b8411ec6929433ee13eea40e81262e.jpeg

It was 26° when I woke up today, so it was started like most mornings.  A soak in the hot tub while watching the news.  

Helping out at my daughter’s house this morning, then back home to do a couple projects.  It is nice to see the sun today. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I believe that Mattingly always desired that job .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations!   Let the fun begin.  I imagine it will be difficult to determine what furniture/items you want to take to your new home.  

If going to do a house sale of furniture, etc.  I suggest posting your sale dates on next door neighbor app, FB and possibly craigslist.

We didn't downsize so much as changing from "northern" furniture to "southern" furniture.  We kept enough stuff to fill about 3/4 of a moving truck though.  We used a multitiered approach to getting rid of our stuff from Cincinnati that we didn't want in Florida. In priority order:

1. Let our kids take what they want

2. Sell on FB marketplace.  Limited to only a handful of things of higher value.

3. Sell at a local consignment shop.  Limited to larger things or things that we thought someone might actually buy.

4. Give to Goodwill

5. For anything else, including things that Goodwill won't take, 1-800-Got-Junk.  Point at it and it disappears.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

@bobmacliberty Thanks for the insurance info.  So far I’ve contacted Alliance and Allied.  I would have thought they’d want a picture of the furniture to guesstimate weight…but they both just have you tell them room by room…armoire, sideboard, etc.  As usual, DH and I are not on the same page.  😉  He thinks we should pack our china and crystal and clothes ourselves…I’d rather pay for them to pack it all…. We’ll see.  We’ll be driving back down for the closing so will certainly take some stuff then…

We hadn't moved in almost 30 years and for some reason, just assumed that packing was part of the quoted moving company cost.  They would pack for us, but at an extra cost.  Duh.  Allied called us a couple of days before they showed up to confirm that they'd be there, and to confirm that we'd have everything packed and ready.  They've apparently run into people like us before who assumed they would do the packing.  We spent 2 days, morning to night, running back and forth to Lowes for more boxes and packing tape, and scrambling to put everything we owned into a box.  

Even if we had paid them to pack...which I would have done in a heartbeat had I known...we still would have packed our own valuables, including china/crystal.  That stuff all got loaded into the cars and went with us.

• Like 3

Florence is famous for their Florentine steaks.  It is one of the most popular dishes of Tuscan cuisine.  Since it was our last day in Florence, we had to give this dish a try.  We went with Trattoria La Gratella based on the great reviews.  Even though we didn’t have reservations, the waiter sat us down at a nice table for two anyway.  

The T- bone steak was 1.5 kilos we were told which is equal to 3.3 pounds.  Holy cow!  That’s a lot of meat for just 2 people.

76CD13FD-2B29-4048-B4FC-89BFA3BCF195.thumb.jpeg.8810ed6885d2ca9ff717749a583b96ab.jpeg

A glass of Chianti Classico

B6A6B498-0087-4BE4-BCA5-6FE995387A20.thumb.jpeg.fffc21c5842de734988b8ab6d65c11cb.jpeg

Got to balance the meal with some spinach 

476D8859-1BEB-4A6E-912F-5C2D6DA7793C.thumb.jpeg.cb30f9f33ee6cf885dbf9dd3affef44d.jpeg

Leftovers for dinner.  This was the best we could do 

77395AA6-92ED-4C9D-9949-E64DE7B4906E.thumb.jpeg.97399a21bcdb3fe3c5ac835501036a05.jpeg

DH joked that we used forceps to pick up the meat 

371A6CE2-0999-4449-8118-A58E347AD7AF.thumb.jpeg.7ac134b87c62c5e64fd6cc3bbb1bc083.jpeg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We hadn't moved in almost 30 years and for some reason, just assumed that packing was part of the quoted moving company cost.  They would pack for us, but at an extra cost.  Duh.  Allied called us a couple of days before they showed up to confirm that they'd be there, and to confirm that we'd have everything packed and ready.  They've apparently run into people like us before who assumed they would do the packing.  We spent 2 days, morning to night, running back and forth to Lowes for more boxes and packing tape, and scrambling to put everything we owned into a box.  

Even if we had paid them to pack...which I would have done in a heartbeat had I known...we still would have packed our own valuables, including china/crystal.  That stuff all got loaded into the cars and went with us.

My son’s first cross country move ( from Sunnyvale, CA to Buffalo, NY), they used PODS.  I helped him box everything and load the POD.  Let me say, that was a lot of work.  Thankfully, they hadn’t accumulated too much stuff at that point, but everything made the trip without anything broken, or even scratched. I attribute my packing skills to the one summer in college that I worked as a furniture mover.  

I was more than relieved, when his company picked up the tab to have everything packed and shipped, when he moved back to California.  

• Like 8