Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, akcruz said:

My daughter has celiac and my SIL has nut allergies, won't eat baked goods he can't guarantee don't have nuts and afraid of cross contamination, so cakes are a hard thing.  I was the taste tester for their cake, daughter did taste most fillings and icing.  Anyway since nether could eat their cake my daughter made a small cheesecake that they cut and nicely fed to each other.

I get skipping a lot of the old rituals, but kinda sad to see.

When we got married 33 years ago I wanted the guests to walk away remembering the food. We had and eight course sit-down dinner with a full dessert table. I did want a cake but not the traditional white cake that was the norm at the time. I chose cheesecake and was told it couldn't be done by a few bakers. I finally found one that made a 3 tier cheesecake that was decorated like a wedding cake.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Flying into Houston, staying overnight by IAH and then taking the free shuttle Royal is providing to Galvsston in the morning.  

I did not realize that Royal had a free shuttle from IAH to galveston, how do you book it?

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Wanted to add regarding the chicken soup recipe, I always serve the soup the next day so that the fat can solidify on top for easy removal before serving.

DH does the same with his excellent chicken soup 😉 Myself, I prefer my chicken soup even older...like at least 3 or even 4 days old. The older, the better.

Bonnie, good luck today. I somehow missed the date ....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nothing like a burger at 8 in tje morning as you are at the airport heading out for a cruise.

Skipped having breakfast st 5 am when we left home so I was pretty hungry and sbout halfway through the burger before I remembered to take a photo.

Flying into Houston, staying overnight by IAH and then taking the free shuttle Royal is providing to Galvsston in the morning.  Boarding Allure for the 4 day trade event sailing to Cozumel.  

I had John send me his 8 day drink list from his Mariner sailing....going to see how much of a dent I can put in thst in 4 days. 

Have a great time. Good luck on John's list. Drink a Kraken Colada for me. Cheers!

• Like 2

How I started my day.  

E33E1F41-AEDE-45B9-A39E-FFD350E8EE30.thumb.jpeg.93f38c4ba475b16720e62917ac165539.jpeg

I was #85 at our polling place, and Susan was #89 because she stopped to talk to an old coworker.  

For those in the US, I hope this is part of your plan for the day.  That is, unless you mailed one in.   We always vote in person. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

How I started my day.  

E33E1F41-AEDE-45B9-A39E-FFD350E8EE30.thumb.jpeg.93f38c4ba475b16720e62917ac165539.jpeg

I was #85 at our polling place, and Susan was #89 because she stopped to talk to an old coworker.  

For those in the US, I hope this is part of your plan for the day.  That is, unless you mailed one in.   We always vote in person. 

We vote in person but always go to early voting.  I voted on October 25th.

• Like 5

Who doesn’t love juggling remotes. 

D95BB3DD-F45B-4505-9A0E-59352A338942.thumb.jpeg.96fa9279bc5ccd66d9b9b43caf9f567a.jpeg

So when we went in to change some things on our cable bill, one of the things they told us was we could use a Roku with the Spectrum app, and get rid of our cable box. We bought a new Roku this weekend, and I set it up this morning.  The Roku pays for itself in less than two months, compared to that box rental. 

I have used a Harmony universal remote for years.  So the remote on the right replaces all the other remotes. (Apple TV, Roku, TV, Surround sound, DVD, and cable box). It turns on the seven speaker surround sound system, tv, and other devices, and switches to the correct inputs. 

My weekend project will be to go into the Harmony remote software program, and clean out some devices we no longer use.  My wife has loved that she only ever has to use the one remote. 

• Like 8

@bobmacliberty You are a wise man to have your wife and daughter handle the wedding  planning. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion about things as well. However, your daughter has ideas about their day,so best to go along.

At least she is considering cake.

Our niece and hubby who were married five years ago in October,served pie as the celebratory dessert. One of my goddaughters and hubby had a family party at her parents’ vacation home  in Maine in September of 2021.They kept it to a small gathering due to Covid. The celebratory dessert was blueberry pie as a nod to the local area specialty.

Many of the traditions are gone ,but new ones take their place.

One that I especially liked at our niece’s wedding was a handwritten sign placed before the ceremony seating area that read - “ Please choose a seat,not a side.”.

Guests were not divided by the bride’s or groom’s  side. 

Enjoy the days leading up to the big event !

Best wishes to your daughter and fiancé !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 8

In the air and wifi purchased.

We originally were going to fly in the day of the sailing but that was cutting it way too tight so I found a cheap hotel by the airport.  Then we had 4 pm flights arriving at 7pm so just arrive have dinner and sleep.  Then our flights were changed to 10:30 am arriving at 1:30 so kow we have time to kill.  At breakfast I found a rental car through Avis for $100 (more than the hotel) so we will go exploring in Houston

Definitely need to get our picture taken at the "I love Houston sign"....those that know, know.😉

• Like 6

Apparently people don't listen to announcements on the plane.  They have told us at least a half dozen times that we are indeed going to Houston unlike our in sir monitor thst had us starting in Vsncouver, going to Toronto, heading south and now returning to Toronto. 20221108_115316.thumb.jpg.469abf4dadce9f196e5099c38f31b331.jpg

Also surprising was this was the first time we have flown in the past year and the screen wasn't covered in red for delays. 

20221108_095431.jpg

• Like 9

I set the alarm for 5:10 am to look at the eclipse, it went off and I turned over.

But up at 6 am.

We had voted early and when I drove by our polling place it was packed.

We booked RCI round trip transportation for our June Allure cruise out of Galveston.

We are arriving a day before the cruise and spending the night near airport.

Then taking shuttle from hotel back to airport to catch RCI transportation.

Beautiful morning today, cool and crispy,

Walked 3 1/2 miles and it was refreshing.

Take care

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

We are arriving a day before the cruise and spending the night near airport.

Then taking shuttle fro

Thst is exactly what I had intended to do.  With our flight time moved up we rented a car to see a few sights.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4

Entertainment just updated.  They are bringing DSB on board...looking forward to that.

They also have an invite only performance in the Aquatheatre by Kelsea Ballerini who my daughter tells me is a pretty popular country singer.  Might have to try sneaking in through the passenger corridor on deck 7.  Viewing party for all in Studio B. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, derorim said:

I think renting a cat is a purrrrfect way to spend your time 🙂 

2 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

New side hustle idea. Brilliant!

Sarah would have been fine with that.  Took her to Rome 2 years ago and we are at the site where Ceasar was killed and the guide is telling us about it and she wonders off to pet the stray cats. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 10