Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

It is 50° in Georgia this morning.  Already I am not liking this cooler weather.  Driving to our stop in North Carolina this afternoon.  The fog is pretty thick. 

At least it is still shorts weather.  It is a good thing, because somehow, my long pants got packed in my son’s suitcase, and they are now in California.   🤷

Oh,no !🙄

Hope the rest of your drive has mild temperatures. It was 55 on LI today with some heavy rain showers.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone ever tried a vegetable called kohlrabi?  I am planning what I want to grow this year and it caught my attention.   Here is what it looks like.

D2-14.thumb.jpg.b9fc8c6421d097b65ac61a85a881e6c9.jpg

I have eaten it, as a Romanian dish. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone ever tried a vegetable called kohlrabi?  I am planning what I want to grow this year and it caught my attention.   Here is what it looks like.

Love Kohlrabi.  But have only eaten the green version.  I make soup with it.  It has a mild sweet taste.  It is a very versatile vegetable.  Have not tried the purple ones yet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

That was Debbie ( @Sunshine3601), and it was ... epic 😉

So glad your daughter and her cat have settled in. I'm sure she'll make friends from work and neighborhood during her stay there. The young are resilient.

@ownedbypets+1  Dani is so right on!😉  I wish your daughter much happiness in her new location!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Yes, it is a very popular vegetable here. DH is baking it in slashes as an "anti-pasti" with a bit of olive oil.

57 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have eaten it, as a Romanian dish. 

49 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Love Kohlrabi.  But have only eaten the green version.  I make soup with it.  It has a mild sweet taste.  It is a very versatile vegetable.  Have not tried the purple ones yet.

Sounds like those who have tried it like it.  Sounds like it will be worth trying.   From what I have read I will try mixing it with other veggies with olive oil and roast.  Maybe try it in a salad.   I have heard some say it is like broccoli and some cabbage.  I have read they are mostly found on farmers market.   Thanks for the replies.   It's on the list to grow.  I am trying to find veggies I can start early and have a great start to this year.  I started some veggies to late last year and it hurt.  I hope we have a better growing year than the last hot one.  

I heard they have a lot of nutritional value too!

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, brillohead said:

Sounds like it could be Commotio Cordis?

Hear of it more often in baseball/softball/hockey, but could happen in almost any contact sport.

I'm quite sure that was the most likely cause. It can happen with almost any impact to the chest that occurs during the vulnerable portion of the cardiac electrical cycle. This is why cardioversion and defibrillation are two very different things. Cardioversion senses R waves and the machine will not fire during the vulnerable phase of the cardiac electrical cycle as it can induce ventricular fibrillation. Same thing can happen with a chest impact. I NEVER cover a football game without a defibrillator with me for the very reason that hundreds of people just witnessed. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm quite sure that was the most likely cause. It can happen with almost any impact to the chest that occurs during the vulnerable portion of the cardiac electrical cycle. This is why cardioversion and defibrillation are two very different things. Cardioversion senses R waves and the machine will not fire during the vulnerable phase if the cardiac electrical cycle as it can induce ventricular fibrillation. I NEVER cover a football game without a defibrillator with me for the very reason that hundreds if people just witnessed. 

Thank you for your perspective. I was hoping you would weigh in with your thoughts.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Jumbo- I think that you will find most resorts in Bermuda are expensive. It is an expensive country and that is part of its’ allure. Most homes are kept nicely and there is no panhandling- at least that I  recall- from people living there,unlike some. Caribbean  islands where there is obvious  poverty.

I would suggest a small hotel, near Hamilton or St George’s or an Air b&b for a more reasonable rate. 

MJ🙋🏻

I second your post as we have looked in the past at vacationing in Bermuda.  My suggestion would be to read the reviews on TripAdvisor as well.  Even some of  the four star resorts/hotels have iffy reviews.  This and overall cost result in vacationing elsewhere and then comparing to our cruise costs.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

I just got back from a very busy, 4 day, trip to CA. Our daughters move went well. She and her cat are living in a gorgeous airbnb in downtown Mountain View with access to caltrain and the bus so she does have options to get to Stanford. We knew her commute wouldn't be quick but it's not as bad as we thought. She is taking an Uber today.

The weather was cold and rainy but we were determined to have one fun day after all of the packing and shopping was done. We went to Pier 39 and has as much fun as possible while shivering and soaking wet.

My husband and I lived in the East bay in 1989  so when we drove under the Bay Bridge it brought back earthquake memories.

Charlotte has lived away from us for 5 years and has traveled the world but this is the first time she has ever really been on her own. She knows no one near so that resulted in a lot of tears when it was time to say goodbye. Hopefully 13 weeks will fly by!

I remember someone posting about a can opener, in a rental, a while back so that was the first thing I looked for and smiled when I found it. It's the small things.

Sounds wonderful.    Happy to hear your Daughter and her cat are getting settled into what sounds like a lovely place to live temporarily.      

Thankful you didn't have to make that nasty call to the Landlord about a can opener😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Since we're on the subject of Buc-ee's again, here's my Buc-ee's travel report.  There's a new Buc-ee's now open in Kentucky at exit 83 on I-75, just south of Richmond.  It seems even bigger than the other Buc-ee's that I've been to.  There's also a new Buc-ee's being built in Tennessee on I-40 east of Knoxville.  They must be doing very well as they seem to be doing a lot of expanding.

An interesting bit of trivia.  The brass beaver at the entrance of each is made in a foundry in Bastrop, Texas.  The foundry has a tour and night pour twice a year.  We went a few times and it was very interesting and fun to watch.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm quite sure that was the most likely cause. It can happen with almost any impact to the chest that occurs during the vulnerable portion of the cardiac electrical cycle. This is why cardioversion and defibrillation are two very different things. Cardioversion senses R waves and the machine will not fire during the vulnerable phase of the cardiac electrical cycle as it can induce ventricular fibrillation. Same thing can happen with a chest impact. I NEVER cover a football game without a defibrillator with me for the very reason that hundreds of people just witnessed. 

I am wondering if from what I heard on the news is correct.   One does not have to have a precondition to have this happen to them.  Does that sound correct?  One can be healthy and get hit just right and this happens?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Jimbo- I wanted to answer your question about Bermuda that you posted on Andrew’s review,but didn’t want to hijack his postings.

We have been to Bermuda about thirteen times since 1983. It would have been more,but the virus got in the way.

IMHO, the Swizzle Inn is kind of a tourist place. Fine for a drink and say you have been there,not sure about the food.

For lunch, the Henry VIII pub near Gibbs Hill  lighthouse was good. There are a number of pubs on Front Street in Hamilton that are good for lunch also. The Hog Penny comes to mind.

If you would like a romantic setting for dinner, we like the Waterlot Inn near the Southampton Princess. The food and service was always impeccable. We

have also enjoyed dinner at the Four Ways Inn.

Enjoy Bermuda. It is a lovely place. Forty-eight hours will give you a taste of it,not very long to be there. You may consider a land vacation there after your visit.

MJ🙋🏻

@Jimbo   I agree.    I saw your questions about Bermuda on Andrew's thread and didn't want to hijack it either.     We have done several land and cruise vacations in the last 25 years.   It is one of our favorite islands (was my Parents favorite too).    

Swizzle Inn is a fun place to stop for a drink, write your name or message on the wall (I always love to see the message my Dad wrote to us on the wall) and grab an appetizer or a sandwich.   

Hog Penny Pub right in Hamilton (blocks away from the Ferry) is always a great place to have some dark n stormy's and grab a fish sandwich or Bermuda fish chowder is one of Eric's favorites.    

Frog & Onion located at the dockyard is a fun bar and has some great food too.   We enjoy their Wahoo fish sandwiches.   

If you want some upscale dining for a romantic dinner, then the Waterlot Inn is a beautiful restaurant with excellent food.     

If you want to dine right on the water and watch the sunset - this place has great food, great location https://www.thehamiltonprincess.com/dining/     We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and have always enjoyed.   

We find the best means of transportation to be the Ferry and their local bus system.    You can buy daily passes at a booth on the dock @ Royal navy dockyard.    Great way to meet the locals and see the island without paying a fortune for a taxi.  

If you do take a bus I highly recommend getting off at the Gibb's Hill Lighthouse and if able to walk up to the top you will have the best view of the island.    

We do not go to the touristy beaches - such as Elbow and Horseshoe Bay.    If this is your first time there then you may want to check out the pink sand at Horseshoe Bay.    

But if looking for a nice quiet peaceful day at the beach.    We have found that getting off the bus at stops near some of these other beaches and walking down paths to the beaches is so much nicer.   You end up with your own private beach most times.    Of course you won't have beach loungers or umbrellas when you go rogue so make sure you have some towels with you.   

When it gets closer to your cruise, let us know.     

I was saying to Eric last week that we need to book a Bermuda cruise this summer (maybe August) we are booked for end of March, June and September so far just not sure how much more time my boss will give me off.    Are you booked on Liberty or Vision?

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I am wondering if from what I heard on the news is correct.   One does not have to have a precondition to have this happen to them.  Does that sound correct?  One can be healthy and get hit just right and this happens?

That is exactly right. An impact at the vulnerable time in the electrical cycle of a perfectly normal heart can cause the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have never heard or seen one of these. 

I went on Mi Gardener website this weekend and was shocked when I saw just about all the types of seeds I want are shown as Sold Out.     When do you order your seeds for this years planting?

We finished day 2 of our drive back to Pennsylvania.  Got to our favorite stop in North Carolina in time to walk a little trail

2CDA4E73-68AF-45E0-A232-7ECA2906C0C6.thumb.jpeg.d66c0596a863be85d9b0bb77cac3cdf8.jpeg

582EE2BF-4492-4C28-9C7F-21FC9926B4EC.thumb.jpeg.0d15d87d9a3c4e258ca21fcce5e22ca4.jpeg

They must love gongs here, because there are several along the trail.  The broken heart one is new since the last time we did this hike. 

43F13FD5-1CC7-4D65-A805-04AC58BECAE8.thumb.jpeg.98c68d01b393ca2d2523a749192a1aa1.jpeg

Of course, we decided it would not be a good idea to venture off the trail today. 

34536F95-484A-4FA2-96AA-DE5192F21E34.thumb.jpeg.c46bc00c4195100e0a23c611ce6aab22.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

I second your post as we have looked in the past at vacationing in Bermuda.  My suggestion would be to read the reviews on TripAdvisor as well.  Even some of  the four star resorts/hotels have iffy reviews.  This and overall cost result in vacationing elsewhere and then comparing to our cruise costs.  

We have stayed in some pricey hotels such as the Hamilton Princess and we have stayed at some nice apartment/home rentals thru VRBO in the past years.     We have enjoyed trips there late May, September and even beginning of October with decent weather and less costly than mid summer rates.    

Cost of everything on the island is much more expensive than Caribbean islands.   when I have gone to a local food store to buy some items for our rental I am always shocked at the cost of basic items such as milk, eggs and bread.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We used their grab and go. I didn’t pay attention to sandwich sizes, so I assume they have smaller ones than the XXL I picked up.  That one was so big, I was too full for dinner that night.  

Too bad we don’t have any more on our trip home. 

Why would anyone want one that is smaller than XXL? 😉😁

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Since we're on the subject of Buc-ee's again, here's my Buc-ee's travel report.  There's a new Buc-ee's now open in Kentucky at exit 83 on I-75, just south of Richmond.  It seems even bigger than the other Buc-ee's that I've been to.  There's also a new Buc-ee's being built in Tennessee on I-40 east of Knoxville.  They must be doing very well as they seem to be doing a lot of expanding.

I've just assumed the Buc-ee's was mostly Texas & Gulf Coast chain so it's nice to see them expand North, relatively speaking.  Maybe in a decade or so, they'll reach my neck of the roads.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you for your perspective. I was hoping you would weigh in with your thoughts.

Thank Doc, I was hoping you would chime in.  With both your medical degree and football experience I figured you'd have great insight.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I've never seen it nor tried it and was going to say it looks like something that an alien would eat. 

But apparently it's only alien to me. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, HBE4 said:

I've never seen it nor tried it and was going to say it looks like something that an alien would eat. 

But apparently it's only alien to me. 😃

I'm with you.  I had actually heard of it but don't think I've ever eaten it.  If I had seen it before it was cooked up into something I doubt it would pass my lips... 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We finished day 2 of our drive back to Pennsylvania.  Got to our favorite stop in North Carolina in time to walk a little trail

Where is this? I'm thinking of planning a little road trip in the early spring time frame.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Where is this? I'm thinking of planning a little road trip in the early spring time frame.

We always make Elkin NC as one of our stops. It isn’t a very big place, but we stay with what we like.  

• Like 3

Even if you're not really an NFL fan, please pray for the family of Damar Hamlin, the 24-yr. old Buffalo Bills player who was tragically injured during last night's Monday night game. It was probably the most shocking and saddening incidents I've ever seen during a game. Latest word, it appears, is that he's still in critical condition. 🙏

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests. We will provide updates as we have them.

I didn't look back a few pages but figured this was all likely already discussed. Thanks for this info. Most recent update from only refers to still being in critical. 

• Like 1