Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

45 minutes ago, dbancroft said:

We just arrived at ft Lauderdale weather is better at home than Florida 

We were just driving by @Lionesss house today.  I will take this weather any day this winter. 

AAE8DCC0-37C3-4913-9197-2B45742262C9.thumb.png.abce85e92e93b91b1a5ed0ae02778928.png

Only a couple days of a frozen mix in the next 10.  I have yet to snowblow this winter. And I hope I don’t have to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

There were maybe 30 people in the theater for the movie.  It isn’t any wonder that some theatres are closing.  Hard to pay employees, building costs and rental fees when not many are going anymore.

I think theaters need to do some creative thinking here. I stopped going to the movies years ago when I thought their prices were outrageous.  With so many affordable streaming options and premium cable networks, they need to be COMPETITIVE, and fifty bucks or more for a simple movie/popcorn/drinks date isn't the way to go (especially since we all know that popcorn and fountain soda are dang near free, even with today's food prices). IMO, they need to lower the profit margin, but increase the quantity, plus improve the customer's perception of the experience. 

Some places went the "fancy" route, adding alcohol and full dinners with waiters, comfortable recliners, etc. People don't mind paying more because they're getting a more deluxe experience. 

Places that want to stay "basic" need to lower their prices and increase their customer base.  A family of four paying $100+ to go see a kiddie movie is insane -- something that they might do once a year as a treat because it's seen as a "high cost" or "deluxe" activity simply because of the price-point.  But if it was only $50 for the whole family to go see the movie, they might do it once a month, because it is perceived to be an affordable family fun activity.  Which would bring in more profit -- $100 once a year, or $50 twelve times a year? 

Especially with the current inflation rates and high food costs, why should people pay big bucks to see a movie at a theater when they can see it "for free" at home on their big screen tv with the sound bar and "free" snacks and clean bathrooms in a couple months?  (quote marks used for "free" because the perception of paying for Netflix or HBO or whatever, and the snacks in the pantry isn't really associated with the movie-watching event -- you didn't have to open your wallet right then and there to pay for the movie or the food)

• Like 9

Had my first experience of Priority Boarding since COVID today!

I'm on Allure out of Galveston, and they have eight sections of seating in the waiting area.  There was no signage about who should sit where, so I chatted with a helpful employee.  When he found out I was D+, he recommended that I try to get as close to the front as possible, because they board by sections and also by status level.  

Odd-numbered sections were on the left, and evens were on the right.  I snaked my way up to Section One and took a seat (easier to do because I was solo -- harder to find seating for couples or families that far up by 10:25 -- a family probably would have needed to sit in sections 5-8). There were a bunch of funky curved couches plus folding chairs in each section. 

At 10:30, they announced Section One -- Diamond Plus Only could proceed to boarding, and they checked the SetSail Pass to make sure you were D+.  I'm assuming that Suites and Pinnacles had already boarded -- they had a totally separate boarding lounge. I wasn't paying attention because I was chatting with the people next to me on the couch. 

I'm assuming that they went through each section numerically and by status (D+ in sections 2-8 only, then D in each section) -- but I wasn't there to confirm.  By 10:40 I was on the ship, checked in to my muster station, and posted up in the Schooner Bar with my laptop.  

Was nice to see that they are giving a perk for those in the higher status levels.... it costs them NOTHING to let us go first, but it feels like you're actually getting recognized for your status instead of being lumped in with everyone.  It's all about perception!

• Like 14

47 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I think theaters need to do some creative thinking here. I stopped going to the movies years ago when I thought their prices were outrageous.  With so many affordable streaming options and premium cable networks, they need to be COMPETITIVE, and fifty bucks or more for a simple movie/popcorn/drinks date isn't the way to go (especially since we all know that popcorn and fountain soda are dang near free, even with today's food prices). IMO, they need to lower the profit margin, but increase the quantity, plus improve the customer's perception of the experience. 

Some places went the "fancy" route, adding alcohol and full dinners with waiters, comfortable recliners, etc. People don't mind paying more because they're getting a more deluxe experience. 

Places that want to stay "basic" need to lower their prices and increase their customer base.  A family of four paying $100+ to go see a kiddie movie is insane -- something that they might do once a year as a treat because it's seen as a "high cost" or "deluxe" activity simply because of the price-point.  But if it was only $50 for the whole family to go see the movie, they might do it once a month, because it is perceived to be an affordable family fun activity.  Which would bring in more profit -- $100 once a year, or $50 twelve times a year? 

Especially with the current inflation rates and high food costs, why should people pay big bucks to see a movie at a theater when they can see it "for free" at home on their big screen tv with the sound bar and "free" snacks and clean bathrooms in a couple months?  (quote marks used for "free" because the perception of paying for Netflix or HBO or whatever, and the snacks in the pantry isn't really associated with the movie-watching event -- you didn't have to open your wallet right then and there to pay for the movie or the food)

Our town has a refurbished theater that is a nice old fashioned style.  They only charge $4.  There is a delay of a couple of months when a new movie comes out which I guess saves them money that allows them to charge less. 

• Like 5

@LionesssNow, I am feeling old !

I received that silver plate and glass serving dish combo for a bridal shower gift!

I began clearing out and downsizing a few years ago and donated that item to our local thrift shop.

Maybe it migrated to the  antique shop you visited.

So,maybe you have my serving dish??😳

That’s okay. I hope you enjoy using it.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

When we were military, the Base theatres had really cheap movies, especially for kids’ matinees. It was $5 Cdn for me and 3 kids. Popcorn was cheap too. It was something to do while my husband worked on his Master’s degree.

Ok, that was 20 years ago, but it was still cheap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am still using this mouse. 

5FCAD64B-5D4A-4311-BFE9-6A9BF7B33BB5.thumb.jpeg.a2507dd70f73d6da17daa7bd5c0e73cd.jpeg

Won on a cruise years ago. It definitely is not an Oasis class ship in there. 

When I showed this to Sharon she thought it was a Spider-Man theme.  After I concentrated on the top I could see it. 

5FCAD64B-5D4A-4311-BFE9-6A9BF7B33BB5.thumb.jpeg.a2507dd70f73d6da17daa7bd5c0e73cd.jpeg.jpg.ad3d088b13e41d09d3196c1d8a547dc5.jpg

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Last night, we went to see the new Tom Hank’s movie, A Man Called Otto, on the big screen.  It has been a while since we have been to the theatre, and those ticket prices are up like everything else.  Even at senior prices, it was $25 for tickets, popcorn and pop.  I saw the prices for non-seniors, and those would run $40.

There were maybe 30 people in the theater for the movie.  It isn’t any wonder that some theatres are closing.  Hard to pay employees, building costs and rental fees when not many are going anymore.

Our cinema of choice these days is an art deco stunner that is not in the local area but worth driving to for its range of past movie screenings, Adventure film festivals, big name author book launches and for DH the cinema has better atmosphere and attendance than our soul-less local multiplex with dwindling audience numbers.  Cost for multiplex with tickets through our  phone provider $12.

Cost for art deco cinema is $25 upwards depending on what is being screened.  For us going to the Art Deco is worth paying extra.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My grand dog who has been visiting with us since Thursday loves watching TV ,especially sporting events.Yesterday we watched college basketball .Today it will be football.

That is so sweet.  Having his company next to you would have been lovely. How is your “new” Walker going?  I know you’ve had it a while now.

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I still have all my “old school” components from the 70’s.

Love it. What model Kenwood? Mine's KR-7600. 70 watts per channel (always thought it was 80 but just looked it up). I have BIC Formula 6s. I'm not that familiar with the 7s and actually forgot that they made that model. Always liked the BIC line. I had a set of Formula 1s for awhile in a college dorm room. For the size, those speakers impressed alot of people. I think I used a Sansui receiver with it. I didn't have all that stuff very long  - sort of recall selling those components to another student before graduation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

Hot day in Sydney yesterday.  Most of the city headed to the beach.  DH headed north and spent the morning at Killcare Beach.  DD headed to the harbour  with friends.  Both reported the beaches were packed, but worth it. 

Debate going on in Sydney atm about all the large overhead canopies that families take to the beach for sun protection - they take up too much space according to some people..  

- in my opinion as someone who is dealing with the consequences sun exposure in childhood -  as long as families are protecting their kids from sun damage - they can use whatever they want - and with 20+ beaches to chose from on the Northern Beaches alone…we have the space.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Sea Dog, I thought of you when I read a cocktail recipe on another forum. Banana Split: Bailey’s , Kraken and banana and cream. 🎉

Oh that sounds really good. I’ll find the recipe. I recently was able to get a digital download of Trader Vic’s original 1970’s book of recipes. There are some amazing recipes in there. Over 400 pages. If anyone is interested I’ll put it up on Dropbox for download.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My grand dog who has been visiting with us since Thursday loves watching TV ,especially sporting events.Yesterday we watched college basketball .Today it will be football.

Today I was watching a PBS show on wildlife in the winter Alps. Jade was fascinated and on occasion even tried to capture animals that were running across the screen. Her reaction when she missed them and couldn't find where they went was so funny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

33 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Love it. What model Kenwood? Mine's KR-7600. 70 watts per channel (always thought it was 80 but just looked it up). I have BIC Formula 6s. I'm not that familiar with the 7s and actually forgot that they made that model. Always liked the BIC line. I had a set of Formula 1s for awhile in a college dorm room. For the size, those speakers impressed alot of people. I think I used a Sansui receiver with it. I didn't have all that stuff very long  - sort of recall selling those components to another student before graduation. 

The Kenwood is the KR-6400.  The BIC’s were the biggest tower speakers they made. They are about 42” tall.  I think I paid between $250-$300 each, which was a lot in the 70’s for speakers.

I also have a newer pair of BA exterior speakers that are wired from there to our deck.

I also have a lower end Kenwood receiver, pioneer deck, and technics turntable, I bought for my mom and dad, sitting in my basement. I may need to take them to the antique store. 

• Like 1

Long time reader here! 

I found I just had to respond to the folks who are considering buying LG product especially refrigerators.

I had an experience concerning a brand new washer that would drain dirty water back into the machine after the cycle finished. This happened right from the first day. I contacted LG and there started the run-around. 18 months later and 3 repair people and the washer still wasn't fixed. My folder was almost 2 inches thick with e-mails back and forth. Ended up buying a new washer NOT LG!!

In the process I discovered their very popular media page that ends with book/lgusa . Very interesting reading. Many had problems with refrigerator condensers failing around the 3 yr mark. I was told by a appliance salesman they make their own condensers  where other manufactures get theirs from a condenser manufacturer! 

I will never buy another LG appliance of any kind because their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. 

I love reading about everyones traveling experiences. I have 30 cruises under my belt and hope to do more however age might be creeping into that wish!                                  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, blindone said:

Long time reader here! 

I found I just had to respond to the folks who are considering buying LG product especially refrigerators.

I had an experience concerning a brand new washer that would drain dirty water back into the machine after the cycle finished. This happened right from the first day. I contacted LG and there started the run-around. 18 months later and 3 repair people and the washer still wasn't fixed. My folder was almost 2 inches thick with e-mails back and forth. Ended up buying a new washer NOT LG!!

In the process I discovered their very popular media page that ends with book/lgusa . Very interesting reading. Many had problems with refrigerator condensers failing around the 3 yr mark. I was told by a appliance salesman they make their own condensers  where other manufactures get theirs from a condenser manufacturer! 

I will never buy another LG appliance of any kind because their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. 

I love reading about everyones traveling experiences. I have 30 cruises under my belt and hope to do more however age might be creeping into that wish!                                  

I had a similar  from a refrigerator when he came to do some repairs on our Amana refrig.   He stated that his experience with LG refrigerators that the mechanics were very unreliable. His message was to stay away.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Today I was watching a PBS show on wildlife in the winter Alps. Jade was fascinated and on occasion even tried to capture animals that were running across the screen. Her reaction when she missed them and couldn't find where they went was so funny. 

You need to watch the documentary “Wildcat” on Amazon Prime. Amazing!!!!

21 minutes ago, blindone said:

Long time reader here! 

5 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I had a similar  from a refrigerator when he came to do some repairs on our Amana refrig.   He stated that his experience with LG refrigerators that the mechanics were very unreliable. His message was to stay away.  

I also read some horror stories about LG. We have a LG washer and dryer and are very happy with them. We had decent luck with GE refrigerators but they have lately really broke down on us. We just felt we wanted to try something different. Time will tell if we regret buying it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Jade is far more playful than our old guy, Marcel.  But this bird chirping on the TV this morning did manage to wake him up from his heated bed.

image.thumb.jpeg.af452f7d55b9b1b55dbcc24d5059e000.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 4