Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've always built my own desktops.  Two computers ago, I decided that I'd rather have the portability of a laptop, but I almost never used it anywhere but on my desk.  I use an iPad when I want portability and something bigger than my phone.  So for my current computer, I'm back to a home built desktop.  Much more power (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD storage) for the same price.  I built it to be silent and you wouldn't even know it's running.  But the best thing I did this time was go with a 34" ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440.  I'm not much of a gamer (occasional Flight Simulator) but the added width of the screen is great for photo and video editing.  You can have a variety of editing panels open and still have a lot of room for the main section with the picture/video.  It's also nice to have two apps in different windows side by side on one screen.

I bought one of those Apple TV 4K boxes and just broadcast to my 55" wall mounted TV.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Once you go apple you rarely go back.

I have several friends that say the same thing. I do have a love hate relationship with Apple. I do wish their computers were less expensive. My first Mac was a Mac Classic in the early 1980's. It had 4mb of Ram and 30mb hard drive.  Next year I get the new Mac Studio with 64gb of ram, and a 2 TB hard drive. That is how far I've come

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I bought one of those Apple TV 4K boxes and just broadcast to my 55" wall mounted TV.    

Got the 4K Apple TV box last year for Christmas. I haven't swapped it out with my old Apple TV since I don't have a 4K TV yet. I may need to bite the bullet and get one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, derorim said:

Your former kitchen has a similar layout to what my son is wanting to do.  I like the L-shaped island.  I downloaded your pictures and sent them to my son.  Hope you don't mind.

No problem at all, glad to help.  We went thru many iterations but the final design was done by the contractor.   When looking for estimates I had basic plans,  most gave me costs based on those.  The one we ended up with looked at them then asked what were my main goals, likes, etc.  He put them in perfectly with a new design.  Those pics are actually from the listing when we sold, have a few more if he's interested.  Any questions let me know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dbancroft said:

We fly to Miami tomorrow morning and sail on the Disney Dream Monday for 10 days. 2 5 day cruises back to back.

Sounds amazing.

We saw Disney Dream a couple of years ago at our home port of Newcastle UK.

I hope you have an amazing cruise.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221210_160136.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes it has a remote,we leave the remote on the drawer to the right of the stove. Below that drawer is where the 2 trash cans are.

The exhaust fan....also can be controlled by waving your hand both ways below where buttons are on the fan. Wave left to turn down the speed of the fan and wave right to speed up the fan.

20230114_120506.jpg

20230114_120518.jpg

Your house is amazing @Jimbo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

You know posting this has me tapping the brake slightly.  What type of laptop did you get.  The Windows ones I looked at had noise or heat problems.

When did you do your last build? What CPU and GPU did you use?  If I remember correctly you do Photoshop.  How much ram do you use.  Do you edit video?   If I build should I upgrade my Windows 7¿ 😂 

I also was looking at the Mac Studio but the cost adds up.  

It sounds like a MacBook Pro lasts long too but I used my last computer several years before Photoshop wouldn't work on it anymore. 

Warning to others: Skip over this post if you don't like technobabble speak.  Consider yourself warned.

I built my current computer in the summer of 2020.  Since I don't really need, or want to pay for, the latest/fastest tech, I usually buy around one generation old tech when the prices have dropped a little.  I'm an Intel guy and considered AMD (which many said was better for gaming at the time) but stayed with Intel.  Adobe (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere) didn't take advantage of multi-threading the same way many games did and AMD didn't have an advantage over Intel.  I went with an Intel i7-10700K CPU and an Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus motherboard with 2X16GB (32GB total) of 3200MHz DDR4 RAM.  For video, I went with an Asus GeForce RTX 2070 with 8GB of GDDR6 RAM.  For storage I went with 2 1TB NVMe SSD drives (one for Windows and apps, one for current document/photo/video storage), and a 6TB spinning disk for archiving older photos/videos.  I went with liquid cooling using a Fractal Design cooler inside a Fractal Design Define R6 case.  You can see all of the parts purchased from NewEgg in this document. They're all 2.5 years old and no longer readily available, but you can substitute for a newer version.  

Computer Part List.pdf

I got a tremendous amount of help from a CC user named Dave ( @pierces on CC) who is one of the main posters in the CC Photo & Camera Discussion forum (where people post some great pictures...cruising focused and otherwise).  Dave posted in great detail his months long thinking and research about building a new PC.  I used a lot of his thinking when making my component choices.  If you have specific computer questions related to photo or video editing, that's a good forum to visit. Here's Dave's thread:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I built my current computer in the summer of 2020.

How cool and if my math is right you did it all for under $2,000? That's amazing. Question with the two 1 TB drives, could you boot up from either one. I would like to get a dual boot computer so I could put one set of programs on one and another set of programs on the other. That's my problem with my main hard drive. Some programs are big and can only be installed on your main hard drive. It would be nice to be able to have two.

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

got a tremendous amount of help from a CC user named Dave ( @pierces on CC) who is one of the main posters in the CC Photo & Camera Discussion forum

Thanks.  I didn't even know CC had that board.  I will check it out.  

I was an Intel guy but when I was figuring out stuff  I was going to go Ryzen.  When I decided to order, everything disappeared due to the P*¬;¥£§ic.  When I look at what I would spend on a good MacBook Pro I would have a really nice build for the same cost or less.  I need to look again soon.  I would love to get a flight simulator too. 

BTW, if I do go Windows, I will upgrade my windows 7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

It really was. The "kids" were of course skeptical, they don't like to be their dad "guinea pigs", and inquired if there was an "alternative" to the suspicious looking ramen. He said: "Nope, that's it for today"...

And it was amazing. Of course, he has always individual interpretations to everything he cooks, this time he added shiitake mushrooms (grilled after spending time in a soya cum honey "concoction").

We both like ramen. Even when in Barcelona, last summer, we went for ramen ... twice 😉

He says he never thought it's so easy, and making a huge difference in taste...

Does your DH ever give out his secrets for his interpretations?  I have a friend from Jamaica, and her dad was making a batch of his special rum punch.  I asked her if he would be willing to share his recipe, and she said he wasn’t even ready to share it with her yet.  Some people like to keep their secrets close.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm sure Bonnie  ( @BonTexasNY) would agree with her new "scientific" name 😉

At first I read that as Botox. 😉

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

She is a one cranky individual.  Once she forms her opinion the case is done. We think People’s Court is much better, and civilized. 

When we watch we also have our own “court”, called first impression court.  We are occasionally wrong. LOL

Lately, I prefer People's Court as well but also watch JJ.   I wonder if she was that cranky before presiding in court in front of a tv camera.  

It's soon time to start your and Lisa's "winner chicken dinner" recipe.  So good!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Jim, what brand is it?  We have one similar but with the old style turn/click buttons. We will be in the market for a replacement in the future. 

I bought it at Wayfair, checked my recent orders. Ordered in Back in June, I paid $298.50 for it. 

Here is the link that was on my order.

https://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/hisohu-3543-900-cfm-ducted-insert-range-hood-in-stainless-steel-hsoh1103.html

That picture on the site might be a generic picture, Ours is a 36 inch exhaust fan, to match the 36 inch wide cook top..........Our wooden range hood is 42 inches wide.......but when looking for a 42 Inch wide exhaust fan the price goes crazy high..........so the wooden hood was made inside so it fit the 36 Inch exhaust fan perfectly.

The one I got said it could either be Ducted or Ductless...........I'm using it as Ductless.

Here are pictures of the Box.

Don't go by the PDT label behind the front box..........That's from the GE Dishwasher Model Number

20230114_170241.jpg

20230114_170133.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

If anyone hears rumbling noises from the Galveston area, that's just me snoring. 

I've been up for 36+ hours straight, and I have a belly full of Buc-ee's pulled pork sammich and most of a bag of Beaver Nuggets.  I'm not sure if the Beaver Nuggets are supposed to imply that they're made of beaver meat, if they're beaver droppings, or if they're treats to feed a beaver.  Most of them look like battered fried shrimp!  LOL  

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

At first I read that as Botox. 😉

Lately, I prefer People's Court as well but also watch JJ.   I wonder if she was that cranky before presiding in court in front of a tv camera.  

It's soon time to start your and Lisa's "winner chicken dinner" recipe.  So good!

Wife loves Judge Judy, we watch the old episodes since we can fast forward the commercials. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Does your DH ever give out his secrets for his interpretations?  Yes, willingly.

Some people like to keep their secrets close. Not him 😎

Alas, the catch is that he is constantly experimenting... No "fixed" recipes for him. 

So today he tried his hands on ramen. But, if you look closely, this one includes the "classics", like noodles, broth, grilled chicken breast, one egg, green onion, BUT also his interpretation with potatoes, carrots, grilled tofu and... grilled shiitake mushroom.

Lately, in a Bolognese sauce, he added finely minced "roasted peeled chestnuts". Delicious.

It constantly amaze me how such a technical mind, with US patents in "inkjet printing", "apparatus" and other names which elude me, can so successfully make the "switch" to inventive and tasty cooking...☹️

• Like 12

@akcruzI can see why you miss your NJ kitchen. It is such a good size and I like how you coordinated so many of the elements in the design.

I may be partial to it though because we did our renovation in 2009 as well. Our cabinets are French vanilla cream with Stilestone   counter tops that look similar to yours. Our island is walnut, saved from the old  kitchen as it was custom made.

I would take some photos to post here, but my hubby and I are dealing with some serious colds and the kitchen is not too neat at the moment.

As for a dishwasher recommendation. We replaced the appliances installed in the 2009 renovation in 2021. We were told the 2009 appliances would last for maybe 7 years. They lasted 12 with the dishwasher and stove working, but not great. We always bought GE Profile appliances since we built the house is 1984. We were a

always pleased with them ,although they were not a high end brand.

I used a Miele dishwasher in a friend’s condo that seemed to take forever to do a load of dishes.

We bundled the appliances with Fridgedare - fridge,stove and dishwasher. So far, we are pleased with them.

What I like about the dishwasher is that there is a 30 minute quick wash cycle. 

The dishes need to be rinsed well though. My hubby does the dinner clean- up as I do the cooking. He thoroughly rinses everything. That’s just how he does things.😊

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

46FBB83E-32BE-4C17-AC76-8D95EA9E2133.jpeg.5009b9d36b32ab9140763559f596a851.jpeg

What I find weird is one of the supermarkets I go to eggs went from under a dollar a dozen to 4.50 while a quart of egg whites sell for 4.50 same as always . My wife loves her egg white omelette with feta cheese that I make her. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

As for a dishwasher recommendation. We replaced the appliances installed in the 2009 renovation in 2021. We were told the 2009 appliances would last for maybe 7 years. They lasted 12 with the dishwasher and stove working, but not great. We always bought GE Profile appliances since we built the house is 1984. We were a

always pleased with them ,although they were not a high end brand.

I used a Miele dishwasher in a friend’s condo that seemed to take forever to do a load of dishes.

We bundled the appliances with Fridgedare - fridge,stove and dishwasher. So far, we are pleased with them.

What I like about the dishwasher is that there is a 30 minute quick wash cycle. 

The dishes need to be rinsed well though. My hubby does the dinner clean- up as I do the cooking. He thoroughly rinses everything. That’s just how he does things.😊

MJ🙋🏻

Thanks, we did put in GE profile microwave and range 2 years and so far happy with them.  A friend just put in a Bosch dishwasher and she hates it.  Said it does a great job, so quiet you only know it's on due to the light on the floor, but loads horribly and dies take a long time to run.  She did lots of research but never heard about the loading issues.  Trying to avoid that.

No problem with pics I couldn't take any of mine right now, had the professional pics from our listing, they did so good was hard to believe it was our house.