Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I can’t comment on their phones but I’m not of a fan of their appliances. I’ve always been a iPhone guy. It works for me.

Its OK Sea Dog, come on over to the dark side. The force is strong.😇😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

18 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have always enjoyed my Samsung phones. I am tempted to switch to iPhone only due to the ability to voice bank with the next ios upgrade.   I may instead by a new smaller ipad. 

What is voice banking? I do most all my banking on my phone but never heard of this.

@dani negreanu  What else can I add that has not already been said?  I imagine that this decision to move was not at all easy for them knowing how it would bring sadness to all.  I pray and hope that they will be happy and you and your DH can visit them.  Technology is amazing (when it is used for good) and I am thankful for all the ways we can "keep in touch", be in each others lives, and meet people from all over the world who in three years have become very important!    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Its OK Sea Dog, come on over to the dark side. The force is strong.😇😁

Everyone who I know that has the Samsung phone loves it. I have been an Apple guy since the early 80’s. I have a love/hate relationship with them but it’s like cheating on your wife. I just can’t do it.😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is voice banking? I do most all my banking on my phone but never heard of this.

It is common for people with ALS to eventually lose their voice.   Our friend near us that also has ALS has already lost hers.  

With voice banking you record several phases and then the phases are used to generate a synthetic voice that will sound more like your on voice.  My daughters really want this.  We are currently working with a program through Acapela MOV.  There is a lot to figure out but we are slowly getting there.  We can use 300 phases limited to 80 characters. We still do not fully understand how it will work.

Apple's next operating system upgrade is supposed to have a similar capability. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Everyone who I know that has the Samsung phone loves it. I have been an Apple guy since the early 80’s. I have a love/hate relationship with them but it’s like cheating on your wife. I just can’t do it.😉

I'm the same way with Apple phones/iPads.  I'm a Windows guy though when it comes to computers.  I've never quite understood the heated debate over Apple products and their competitors.  Use whatever works best for you.  My psychology majored daughter calls it choice supportive bias...making yourself feel good about a decision by making your choice seem better (than it really is) or by making the alternate choice seem worse (than it really is).  Competition is actually good for us consumers. 

As for Samsung, I won't buy another one of their refrigerators, but I haven't written off the entire brand.  I've got a houseful of their TVs.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm the same way with Apple phones/iPads.  I'm a Windows guy though when it comes to computers.  I've never quite understood the heated debate over Apple products and their competitors.  Use whatever works best for you.  My psychology majored daughter calls it choice supportive bias...making yourself feel good about a decision by making your choice seem better (than it really is) or by making the alternate choice seem worse (than it really is).  Competition is actually good for us consumers. 

As for Samsung, I won't buy another one of their refrigerators, but I haven't written off the entire brand.  I've got a houseful of their TVs.

I feel the same way. Buy what works for you. How do you like their tv’s? I had a sumsung dvd player. It stopped working after a couple of months returned it for a new one and it broke after several weeks I said I’m done.

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Interesting that even the  salesmen didn't recommend Samsung.  I had an appliance repair man replace the ice maker on my refrigerator (Amana ) trash talk the LG  about their compressors. Apparently he had replaced them more frequently  than the other brands.

When we did the remodel for the kitchen , we also got a Ge Profile:

GE Profile™ Series ENERGY STAR® 27.7 Cu. Ft. Smart Fingerprint Resistant French-Door Refrigerator with Keurig® K-Cup® Brewing System

It's great for just the 2 of us, have had no problems with it, in less when we have company we have to bring up ice from the downstairs refrigerator since the new one just can't make enough ice quick enough. The holding bucket just isn't that large, for our model their was no option for a second ice maker. Not a big deal.

Our's does make Coffee with the K-cup machine in the outside door where you get ice and water, t which is nice. So far that is still working perfectly.

Home Depot salesmen did say" Whatever you get just stay away from Samsung Refrigerators, lot's of problems, you don't want one of those."

R48698.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S was my favorite store, first in downtown Brooklyn, then NJ.

I used to go to the A&S at Paramus Park Mall. It's a Macy's now.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked at Korvettes  briefly but A&S in downtown Brooklyn was also my favorite department store.

I was a kid when my parents would drag me to a Korvettes shopping trip.  They loved it, had a little bit of everything, Sort of a smaller version of Walmart before Walmart was a thing.

They also loved shopping at Alexander's Department Stores.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It is common for people with ALS to eventually lose their voice.   Our friend near us that also has ALS has already lost hers.  

With voice banking you record several phases and then the phases are used to generate a synthetic voice that will sound more like your on voice.  My daughters really want this.  We are currently working with a program through Acapela MOV.  There is a lot to figure out but we are slowly getting there.  We can use 300 phases limited to 80 characters. We still do not fully understand how it will work.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope that you never have a need to use it.😐

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've seen their TVs and Samsung seems to be pretty innovative with their technology. However, I always seem to stick with LG for TV purchases.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue with any of the Samsung Galaxy S phones and have gotten many years of use out of each model. A few people I know have had lousy luck with the budget Samsung Galaxy A-series phones. Sluggish performance, batteries don't hold a charge long, etc.

3 of the 4 Samsung TV's I had died within 4 years of purchase. However, the pictures were impressive the short time I had them,

The 4th one is a hand-me-down Plasma model from 2014/15. The pixels on it are beginning to die resulting in a sometimes grainy picture when displaying bright colors. I have a LG Nano TV for 5 years with no issue & will probably purchase another one soon,  to replace the plasma model.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

a wife-enabled stove so I can start pre-heating it when I'm a 5 minute drive away. 

9 minutes ago, derorim said:

I would love to have a husband-enabled stove, so he would fix dinner.  🙂 

I was wondering about this new "feature" too.....☹️

• Haha 12

@dani negreanu

You have a beautiful family and thank you for sharing your trip of a lifetime with us. I'm sure I can speak for all when I say The Bitter part of your trip saddens all of us.

Hopefully, DS will settle in a place with a gourmet kitchen with Dad-Enabled appliances to lure your husband and you to make as many frequent trips as possible. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I feel the same way. Buy what works for you. How do you like their tv’s? I had a sumsung dvd player. It stopped working after a couple of months returned it for a new one and it broke after several weeks I said I’m done.

Never had a problem with a Samsung Smart TV.  We have 4 in our house right now...all 4K.  We are used to their interface for switching between YouTube TV, Netflix, etc.  I put the oldest one out on our lanai (covered so not exposed to rain) to see how long it lasts in the coastal environment.  Still trying to decide if I should put an expensive outdoor TV there or put entry level 50" models out there and replace them every few years if/when they fail.  I'm leaning toward the later since we don't watch a lot of TV outside.  I'd imagine that LG TVs are very similar, as they are priced about the same.  Different user interface but just like phones, you get used to the interface that you have.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That’s some amazing technology available to you and others but I sure hope you never need it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@dani negreanu I want to also let you know that I was glad to read your posting about your recent family vacation and see the photos of the beautiful place you all shared. But, I was saddened to read that your children and grandchildren will be moving away.

Such a difficult decision for your son and his family to make and so very difficult for you and your husband to learn of their decision.

I hope they find a comfortable life in the Netherlands and that your grandsons will flourish there.

Their hearts will be with  their parents and family in Israel and your hearts will be with them in their new home.

Hoping that you and your husband will be able to plan some long visits with them in the Netherlands and that your son, daughter-in-law and children can return to Israel for some visits as well.

Sending good thoughts to you, your husband and family.💐

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

and GS2 with his cheeky smile --

image.thumb.jpeg.5838222e37dbca627bbf177d16e708d6.jpeg

DH found an intriguing insect -- it was so shiny, he was sure it is a lost jewel

image.thumb.jpeg.ab3fbf288813e38819023e236f5e5810.jpeg

And some more pics of this beautiful resort. Sigh.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc2d3565661d7da76af445601178adc6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e2035ec907a7b0813862cbdde31d123.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c8c2e7514fbafd54d859056def75ad17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38dfbb825b380b562e1ca6edbf203be4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.304bffe8c7df014053812283b1ed1997.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2535dcbd455bccaded030c36c29975.jpeg

Fantastic photos and family Dani.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Perhaps @HBE4 meant “WiFi enabled” stove and autocorrect got him…

I did. 

And thank you for benefit of the doubt but it was probably my lack of attention to detail.  Often times I'm multi tasking or more likely, watching Lenoard watching a squirrel out the window. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2