Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, akcruz said:

Like this one?  We have the little tree frogs all over.  This guy landed on my knee when we were by the pool one day.  Also gave the little lizards, anoles, that somehow get in the house quite often.

IMG_20170916_141512.thumb.jpg.cfeaa10c9cd8728b7e71942bf31c8e61.jpg

He looks like he's in a yoga position of some sort -- adorable🤗

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you were in the same room as a bat while you were asleep, the default assumption is that you were bitten (bat bites can be so small that they don't leave any visible mark on the skin), and rabies treatment plus rabies vaccination gets started in the Emergency Department.  

I am aware of this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you were in the same room as a bat while you were asleep, the default assumption is that you were bitten (bat bites can be so small that they don't leave any visible mark on the skin), and rabies treatment plus rabies vaccination gets started in the Emergency Department.  

Because the treatment is weight-based, the bigger the person, the more shots they get.  My record is seven shots in one visit, and I've only been working there for three months.  

Stay away from bats, folks!

We have ABLV in Australia.  Similar but not identical to rabies. Three people died from this virus in QLD so there was a lot of media coverage.  So, we are aware that bat bites/scratches are something you to want to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

That’s a hard pass from me.  I’d be getting someone in to move him.  He/she looks like a cute little bat though.  

Greg, what is the white object on your fence in the 2nd photo?

With the various critters you have in Australia, like spiders bigger than my hand, it is hard to believe a bat would rock you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

I’m probably one of the few people left who requests brochures and maps from the Con Vis bureau of the city I’m going to visit. The NYC office used to be across the street from the Sheraton. 

I’ve received brochures from Cocoa Beach , Fla. 

I always request brochures from cities I visit.

• Like 1

A coworker has fixed in place, decorative wooden shutters on the front windows of his house. One day, he was hosing them off, and all of these soaking wet little brown bats came climbing out between the slats. They had no idea and had never even noticed them before. He just left them, and hoses them more frequently, to make it not a good roosting spot.  ☺️

That's a chubby bat on your screen, Greg. Maybe he (or she) has been eating well. 😄

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

As I was reading about Greg's new pet bat, a guy was working on screening my patio/lanai. A little frog managed to hop into the lanai while the guy was still working😨.

DH had to coax and shoo him out of the door. The frog looked really cute riding on the broom and jumping out into the grass.

Several years ago, Dick was pet sitting for our son, and I was lazy, reading the paper in bed. 
That night, I was in bed again, reading a book, and I heard a rustling sound. I looked around. Our condo is concrete block and very solid. No creaking, and do soundproof I don’t know it’s raining unless I look out the window. 
Back to my book, and rustle rustle. 
What on earth!

I decided to pick up the newspaper and put it in the recycling bin, and there was a frog looking at me. 
Where on earth had he come from? Our paper always came folded and in a plastic sleeve. I had read every page. 
I picked Froggy up, and took him out through the lanai door. I still had the technique I used to amaze my kids with!!

We never figured out how he got in, but at least it was just a frog.

My cousin in Pennsylvania had a mouse fall on her face last week!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

I’m probably one of the few people left who requests brochures and maps from the Con Vis bureau of the city I’m going to visit. The NYC office used to be across the street from the Sheraton. 

I’ve received brochures from Cocoa Beach , Fla. 

I raised my hand, but you couldn’t see me. 
Even though I know Boothbay well, I signed up, so  I could savor the trip for a month before we went. Bonus is always getting good road maps free. 
I just unsubscribed from the emails about Maine rivers. 
The visitors bureaus of various places are marvelous sources of info. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Been trying to keep up with this thread and Andrew’s, but haven’t posted for the last couple days.  

We were out to a festival Saturday, and I forgot to put grandson’s hat in the car.  Fortunately, I found one in that car.  I hadn’t seen that hat for some time. 

IMG_8258.thumb.jpeg.6c4b8c7484c9bdaf8f0bebcbd3d651dc.jpeg

Desert was delicious. 

IMG_8260.thumb.jpeg.1e15c1d9e11ce5755cef86bca2ea14d8.jpeg

Of course, PGA Junior grandson had a match, and his team won.  He played really well. 

IMG_4672.thumb.jpeg.1ca802621e9cf8ee8e528353a79cd592.jpeg

I finally let Susan back out in public, so we were walking to get her strength built back up. Saw this family.  

IMG_8267.thumb.jpeg.b88b638902d6363af27426206b741be7.jpeg

And finally, we had to do a little cat sitting yesterday.  I think we are somewhat reliable, at least where Ricky is concerned. 

IMG_8271.thumb.jpeg.c9d3618aeb66bfc30b088802866f9893.jpeg

Tomorrow, we are off to Kennywood Amusement park again, just because Susan missed out last week.  

You’re such a great grandpa!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Several years ago, Dick was pet sitting for our son, and I was lazy, reading the paper in bed. 
That night, I was in bed again, reading a book, and I heard a rustling sound. I looked around. Our condo is concrete block and very solid. No creaking, and do soundproof I don’t know it’s raining unless I look out the window. 
Back to my book, and rustle rustle. 
What on earth!

I decided to pick up the newspaper and put it in the recycling bin, and there was a frog looking at me. 
Where on earth had he come from? Our paper always came folded and in a plastic sleeve. I had read every page. 
I picked Froggy up, and took him out through the lanai door. I still had the technique I used to amaze my kids with!!

We never figured out how he got in, but at least it was just a frog.

Mouse on face?  I think I would have gone into convulsions 😳 😷 😩 😣 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Our cabin the Poconos, PA, definitely has mice.  It is a losing battle.  We redid the house 20 or so years ago and got rid of them until our neighbors redid their house, they came back.  I have steel wooled every nook and cranny I can find and they still come back although less than before.  I try really hard not to leave anything out that they might want, especially when we leave, Jim not so much.   My first thing when getting to the cabin is wiping down the entire kitchen.  Never had one on me, unlike the frog, but have seen them skampering across the floor and caught many in the mouse traps.  Oh the many joys of country living.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Still have that opinion?  I can't stand the new deck hand.  He is so irritating!

I was surprised that they brought this deck hand back. I found him annoying in the past and I'm already feeling it now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Our cabin the Poconos, PA, definitely has mice.  It is a losing battle.  We redid the house 20 or so years ago and got rid of them until our neighbors redid their house, they came back.  I have steel wooled every nook and cranny I can find and they still come back although less than before.  I try really hard not to leave anything out that they might want, especially when we leave, Jim not so much.   My first thing when getting to the cabin is wiping down the entire kitchen.  Never had one on me, unlike the frog, but have seen them skampering across the floor and caught many in the mouse traps.  Oh the many joys of country living.

I have a good friend with a house near a lake in the Poconos.   She uses shavings from bars of Irish Spring soap to deter mice.   Discovered this when I saw this in a kitchen cabinet.  She swears by it. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Now for my mouse story.  

Years ago, when my kids were still in high school, we had a baby mouse get in the house.   My son was laying on the family room floor, watching TV, when this baby mouse walked across the floor and climbed up on him. 

Well, we had recently watched The Green Mile, and this little mouse reminded us of Mr. Jingles.   Susan said “Don’t kill him.  Just catch him and put him out.”

So I caught him and put him outside.  The next night, he was back.   That’s right, catch and release again for Mr. Jingles.   Let’s just say his third time was not a charm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

My yuck moment:

One morning I am on the phone with the vet and walking down the stairs.  I pause and look over the landing to see my cat Cinnamon deposit a coral snake next to my blind sleeping dog.  While still on the phone I get the cat away from the snake, wake up the dog gently and move her away.  Get a broom and dustpan.  Sweep the snake into the dustpan and deposit it outside far away from the house.  Then I finish my call with the vet.  Now if my husband had been home I would have screamed snake and made him handle it.  LOL

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Greetings from Allure OTS. 
At the top tier event today “Super Mario” was recognized for his 11,007 points. 🙀

Lots of things going on.  I will be curious to see how/if it changes next week.  Have run into a lot of familiar faces from prior cruises.

Other than the humidity, all is well.

IMG_4394.thumb.jpeg.ca9ec9b10b636f5fb16463ac79d59b08.jpeg

IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.9d4c0da99a8b1be385dab564018cab08.jpeg

IMG_4423.thumb.jpeg.e51b1dba8b2ba1290d78aaf3642735e8.jpeg

IMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.766d96606585ae803358272d0ddeee0f.jpeg

IMG_4435.thumb.jpeg.4f36b52e5cfdead2ffff378857e5d5ac.jpeg

Stay well.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

👋🏼 @Ocean Boy (and anyone else who is interested in lighthouses.) 

I found this article in today’s ProJo and I thought you would be interested in it. I hope I am posting this link correctly. 🤞🏼

https://providencejournal-ri.newsmemory.com?selDate=20230724&goTo=A01&artid=2

Just in case the link doesn’t work, I’ll paste some excerpts from the article. I don't think I will be breaking any copyright rules, if I put the excerpts in quotes?? I'll put them in italics, too.

We visit Beavertail quite often (at least 10 times a year), yet I never knew that the lighthouse was the third oldest in not just the USA - but North America!!

Here are a few quotes from the article:

“Feds OK RI’s bid to take over North America’s third-oldest lighthouse”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“From the top of the Beavertail Lighthouse in Jamestown, on a clear day the vistas expand to Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island.”

“In 1972, the beacon was automated, ending the tradition of light keepers.

In 1991, the Fresnel lens was replaced with a rotating beacon, and the old one is on display in the museum.”

“The lighthouse and museum are open every day, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., from June 19 through Sept. 4. In the fall, they are open on weekends from Sept. 9 through Oct. 8, as well as Columbus Day, Oct. 9.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you would really enjoy the museum and all the artifacts that they have on display, especially that Fresnel Lens. We haven’t revisited the museum since around 2019, but I assume it hasn’t changed much.  I know you will most definitely want to climb the tower.

So, here are the dates and times that you can enjoy the Beavertail Lighthouse:

“The lighthouse tower is open to climb, from 1:30 to 4 p.m., on the following dates:

July 29

Aug. 7 (National Lighthouse Day)

Aug. 12

Aug. 26

Sept. 4 (Labor Day)

Sept. 23

Oct. 9 (Columbus Day)      

"Reach reporter Wheeler Cowperthwaite at wcowperthwaite@providencejournal. com or follow him on Twitter @WheelerReporter.”

In order to avoid any copyright issues with their photos, here is one of my own photos of the lighthouse taken in May from the more distant road that you must travel on now.

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.7df745390b59bba15c34781d86667a72.jpeg

Below is a closer view. Unfortunately, you can no longer drive on this road that encircles the lighthouse like we did for this photo back in 2017, but you can walk to the lighthouse from the parking lots. Like the Cliff Walk in Newport, the rock ledges around Beavertail have also been deteriorating. 😢

77191331-137C-4F4E-91EB-933E8C29CBEA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a4330b9c424449cf79cdb57039b70321.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@taznremmy How's the food on Allure?

Greg: I haven’t eaten in the MDR yet…last night it was WJ and tonight the appies in the lounge.  I’m not a huge foodie.  I lost my sense of smell and taste about 3 1/2 years ago. Now I eat because I have to. ☹️

Some friends ate at 150 last night and said it was “fantastic”.  How is Linda doing?  Puppy pictures please.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry I did not know that. Linda is doing really well. She's off her pain meds. Still sore but the cast is off and she is in a brace for 6 weeks then therapy.

IMG_1654.thumb.JPG.39c7655f7a4f21ca179534159b791034.JPG

You asked for it and you got it. 

Here is a funny moment the other night. Lizzy is chewing on a bone and Charlie is crying because he wants that bone even though there are 5 bones laying around his feet. Ah children.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 14