Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You aren’t very familiar with NHL hockey are you Jim. 16 of 32 teams make the playoff. When compared to other sports leagues that is right in the middle. 

NFL 14/32

NHL 16/32

NBA 16/30

Even golf is about the same…

At the PGA championship 76/156 make the cut

Baseball is the one exception to the rule in North American sports.  Due to the lack of physical demands on the players the sport commands, they can play 162 games a season rendering an extended playoff season logistically impossible and moot. 

I guess from living in the US, was always only  3 sports when growing up. Baseball, Football and Basketball.  

There was no ice rinks to play hockey on, only ice we ever saw was when growing up when the pond down the street would freeze hard enough to skate on for 4 or 5  days each winter.

Other extra sport besides Hockey was Soccer, but that was during the same season at when I was playing Baseball growing up.

Even the Hockey season now to me is just like a week or 2 before MLB season starts up, so hockey was never that big of deal for a young boy growing up on the East Coast of the US.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I am glad you enjoyed the review.   I loved going to Alaska.  Before leaving I thought I would not like it as much because I don't like cold.  Looking back it was one of my favorite cruises.

The Sitka National Historical Park is well worth going.   Not a bad walk from the pier too.  Find a map online.

Are you going to Skagway?  Many like doing the train and other excursions, this is another place to explore on your own.  There are several beautiful trails to explore.   After the trails, go downtown and get a Doughboy!  Then go to Skagway Brewing Co.  just for the Halibut.   So good!  I am sure you will love this cruise!

Thank you.  Yes, that’s how I found your report because we will do the same walk as you at Sitka.  So pleased we are visiting this port.

The aud to usd exchange rate is awful so doing hikes instead of the expensive tours x 4 in some ports is what I am looking into.  Also, I just discovered Emerald Lake is likely to be frozen whilst we are there (although there are other things to see if we hire a car and drive up rather than the train). Saw a photo of the dough boy yesterday.  They are BIG.  It’s on my list and will note down the Brewing Co.

Edited by aussielozzie18

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I may have posted this previously.We cruised to Alaska in May 2008.

We brought winter clothes and they had the highest temperatures to date.

I plan to take layers. 

Btw, DH bought Stan last night.  So now I can watch the second season of The Tourist and any other shows you recommend (when I am not madly researching Canada/Alaska)

Edited by aussielozzie18

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You aren’t very familiar with NHL hockey are you Jim. 16 of 32 teams make the playoff. When compared to other sports leagues that is right in the middle. 

NFL 14/32

NHL 16/32

NBA 16/30

Even golf is about the same…

At the PGA championship 76/156 make the cut

Baseball is the one exception to the rule in North American sports.  Due to the lack of physical demands on the players the sport commands, they can play 162 games a season rendering an extended playoff season logistically impossible and moot. 

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I guess from living in the US, was always only  3 sports when growing up. Baseball, Football and Basketball.  

There was no ice rinks to play hockey on, only ice we ever saw was when growing up when the pond down the street would freeze hard enough to skate on for 4 or 5  days each winter.

Other extra sport besides Hockey was Soccer, but that was during the same season at when I was playing Baseball growing up.

Even the Hockey season now to me is just like a week or 2 before MLB season starts up, so hockey was never that big of deal for a young boy growing up on the East Coast of the US.

Team USA beat Sweden 6-2 to win the World Junior Hockey Championship.  They proudly belted out the National Anthem.  So great to see these young players showing their patriotism.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

@HBE4

Canucks v. Rangers tonight 🙂

Top 2 teams in the league going at it! However, due to my stupid cable company being in a dispute with MSG network, I won't be able to watch it as they no longer carry the channel. I have considered upgrading to NHL Center Ice or ESPN+ but I won't based on principal....and me being cheap.

But I do go to about a dozen games a year so I do get my fill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

guess from living in the US, was always only  3 sports when growing up. Baseball, Football and Basketball.  

Hockey has always been part of the Big 4 sports growing up. The NYC metro area has  had 3 NHL teams since 1982 when the NJ Devils moved here and 2 teams since 1972 when the NY Islanders joined the league.  The 3 have accounted for 8 Stanley Cup championships in the past 43 years.  And while Connecticut lost the Hartford Whalers to North Carolina, the Rangers replaced it with a minor league team, AHL Hartford Wolfpack.

The local ice arenas are so jammed packed with various adult & children leagues that they could probably stay open 24/7. Some kids leagues are schedule for 7 am on Sundays & I know some of the adult league play up to midnight.

Having said all that, you do have a point in that hockey is a distant #4 compared to the other 3 in this area. Part of it could be unlike football, baseball or basketball where you can just go outside to your backyard to play hockey requires a commitment.  Not everybody has parents like Wayne Gretzky who built a ice pond in the back yard to practice.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Team USA beat Sweden 6-2 to win the World Junior Hockey Championship.  They proudly belted out the National Anthem.  So great to see these young players showing their patriotism.

USA had a really great team this year.  It was a very disappointing year for Team Canada... The great thing about the world juniors every year is that there are at least 6 teams that are in real contention every year.

Plus there is a purity to the tournament that is missing in many others.  It's just a bunch of 17,18 and 19 year olds playing for love of country and love of the game.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Top 2 teams in the league going at it! However, due to my stupid cable company being in a dispute with MSG network, I won't be able to watch it as they no longer carry the channel. I have considered upgrading to NHL Center Ice or ESPN+ but I won't based on principal....and me being cheap.

Nobody saw Vancouver being this good this year.  Several preseason reports I remember reading didn't even have Vancouver in the Western Conference playoff picture.  

Rick Tocchet has done an amazing job this year.

I have ESPN+... I'll let you know how it goes 😜

I'd love to watch a game at MSG in real life. It is such an iconic arena.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

We have Xfinity here in Virginia and the game is on channel 3095 Center Ice

MSG New York

Philadelphia Flyers did beat  Vancouver 4-1 December 28th in Vancouver. That was the team I followed a little bit when we lived in NJ 3 years ago. Closest NHL Hockey team now is Carolina Hurricanes 2 and half hours away.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I plan to take layers. 

Btw, DH bought Stan last night.  So now I can watch the second season of The Tourist and any other shows you recommend (when I am not madly researching Canada/Alaska)

I watched a movie today on Netflix titled Desierto.It is in Spanish and limited English.Only two of the actors speak English.The strange thing is that there are no subtitles.I Director is the son of a very famous Spanish Director.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have ESPN+... I'll let you know how it goes 😜

I just checked the score. Yikes. Might be time to start watching the final season of "The Crown".

58 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd love to watch a game at MSG in real life. It is such an iconic arena.

Last game I went to in Dec, there was family from Vancouver sitting next to me,  wearing Hanson Brothers (as in the movie Slapshot) jerseys. 😀. They were visiting for the holiday & took in a game last minute.  They really loved it!

Of course, you'd want to visit NYC self proclaimed best - and only - Canadian sports bar, aptly named The Canuck.

https://www.thecanucknyc.com/

I'd be more than happy to buy you a drink.

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

USA had a really great team this year.  It was a very disappointing year for Team Canada... The great thing about the world juniors every year is that there are at least 6 teams that are in real contention every year.

Plus there is a purity to the tournament that is missing in many others.  It's just a bunch of 17,18 and 19 year olds playing for love of country and love of the game.

Drew Fortescue assisted on the winning goal. He's from Pearl River, NY. Which is in Rockland County, mine &  @BonTexasNY former stomping grounds. He's been in the local news a lot lately.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Saw a photo of the dough boy yesterday.  They are BIG

We had another couple with us and we split it between us based on it looking so big.  BIG MISTAKE!  They taste so good! Do not share!  Also Sharon and I shared the Halibut fish and chips.  It's expensive but we wished we would of each got our own.  So good. 

Do some research on Skagway trails.  There are several at different lengths and difficulty. 

Alaska can get expensive if you pay for excursions at each port.  There are cool things to do on your own with a little research. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I just checked the score. Yikes. Might be time to start watching the final season of "The Crown".

Last game I went to in Dec, there was family from Vancouver sitting next to me,  wearing Hanson Brothers (as in the movie Slapshot) jerseys. 😀. They were visiting for the holiday & took in a game last minute.  They really loved it!

Of course, you'd want to visit NYC self proclaimed best - and only - Canadian sports bar, aptly named The Canuck.

https://www.thecanucknyc.com/

I'd be more than happy to buy you a drink.

This is a phenomenal game... 3-2 now.  

Playoff feel !

Thanks for the link.  I'm going to be there a couple of days before getting on Liberty in Sept.  I'll definitely stop in the The Canuck!

• Like 1