Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@Jimbo

Replying to your post about your recent A1C results.

Twelve years ago, after being in FL for 7 months, redoing a condo, I had an A1C of 6.3.

I had never had such a reading.

What my Dr and I attributed to was stress dealing with the redo and being away from home for 7 months, a diet of fast foods and frozen dinners as we didn’t have a stove/oven for quite awhile during the kitchen redo part and  my overindulgence of chocolate candies as I am a stress eater.

I consulted a nutritionist who advised me about counting carbs and making good food choices. Within six months I had lost about 20 lbs and my A1C went to 5.7.

It has hovered around that number for quite awhile until this past Winter , after the holidays, I had a reading of 6.0!

My Dr and I discussed me paying more attention to carbs and consistently doing daily exercise . I will have another A1C in June and I am confident that the number will be back in a better range.

My advice-

Seek input from a nutritionist. Carbs are not only in sweet foods. They are in almost everything-fruits, veggies, pasta etc.

Increase exercise if possible.

Give up booze or at least cut consumption of it down.

Personally, I would not use any supplement without trying to reduce your weight with good food choices and exercise/activity.

Supplements and medications always seem to have pluses and minuses for our health.

Wishing you success in getting that A1C down!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Our clocks always change on the last Sunday of March and October.

Screenshot_20240308_220824.jpg

I keep the secondary time on my watch set to London time which is why I asked.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Another rough day in New Jersey. I wish I could see the grand dogs more but pictures are fun!IMG_0539.thumb.jpeg.0e47fdea65d80377f4c0d32f2e1983d8.jpeg

You guys are working this poor guy too hard doing house work, cook, clean!!!!Give him a break!🤣

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Yesterday morning, a tire fell off of a United Airlines jetliner bound for Osaka, Japan during its take-off from SFO.  The plane made an emergency landing in LAX. That loose tire smashed into a small compact car in an employee parking lot where it then bounced off and totally crushed a red Tesla.  Fortunately, no one was hurt.

This is the same flight/plane we will be taking for our trip to Japan in 2 weeks.  Yikes! 😬  I hope it will be a boring non eventful flight for us.

I saw that on the news. Very interesting to actually see the video of the tire dropping off. I'm wondering if that tire was recently changed and someone either didn't put the lug nuts on or didn't tighten them.

I just heard that two planes just clipped each other in Miami. I don't have details yet.

• Like 3

The last 2 weeks I've sure seen some nice waterfront properties come up. I put alerts for anything over 1500 sf where I am and a few other places, venice where my cousin lives and miami downtown. A nice looking unit in downtown Miami bricknell came on the market and 12 days later was contingent, $378k I think. About $950 hoa. That price imo is cheap. Condo glut downtown miami says CNBC. (Doesnt apply to Miami beach realtor says). 

I saw a pretty huge house on a canal this morning sunny yellow. It was over $1m lol but pretty. Some others on canals. Some really interesting property being listed.

Idk what this is worth, but a $400k drop imo indicates a soft condo market. I'll get a alert if it sells here, it's close to where I'd think so. Nice sized for oceanfront. John's was a nice size. I love real estate even if I'm just looking. 

20240308_171932382.jpeg

20240308_171947366.jpeg

• Like 4

@Jimbo I saw my doctor yesterday and got a prescription for Metformin.  My A1C was 5.7 and I want to lose a few lbs.  Diet and exercise has not changed an ounce in the last few years so I need to try something.  My insurance only covers Metformin or Jardiance so we are trying the Metformin first.  It was $6.00 for a month's supply.  I will have blood work in 3 months to see what happens.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keksie said:

@Jimbo I saw my doctor yesterday and got a prescription for Metformin.  My A1C was 5.7 and I want to lose a few lbs.  Diet and exercise has not changed an ounce in the last few years so I need to try something.  My insurance only covers Metformin or Jardiance so we are trying the Metformin first.  It was $6.00 for a month's supply.  I will have blood work in 3 months to see what happens.

If you end up on Jardiance, they have a coupon program that you can apply for which has saved us a lot.  CVS pharmacy actually suggested it to us and my DH filled out the online form and got the coupon immediately.  It works for an entire year and then you just reapply.  It took a $200 prescription down to $50 on our old insurance and has it at $25 on our current insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Keksie said:

You have an A1C of 5.7 and went on medication?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You have an A1C of 5.7 and went on medication?

I was thinking the same .  I was at 6.4 just a couple months ago and finally agreed to try 500mg metformin.  Hasn’t been long and haven’t had a follow up blood work up yet to know what it’s doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is 22.00pm now and we had a lovely Italian dinner with our Sarah tonight at our favourite Italian restaurant.

I had a Calzone pizza.

IMG_20240308_182001.jpg

IMG_20240308_182019.jpg

IMG_20240308_215918.jpg

As always Graham you know where to dine.  Love all those mussels and the pasta looks delicious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Question from a black thumb gardener, why pull the bulb up too?  I leave them in for the next year, though the chipmunks and squirrels eat them or relocate them.  They don't touch daffodils though.

Kenzie's family is in the flower business.   They have several beds they grow flowers in.  They are using one of mine for tulips. Since Tuesday they have pulled about 400 tulips from beds.  She has planted 3,000 tulips this year. 

There are a few reasons tulips are grown as annuals and thus the bulbs left on.  Once the tulips are all pulled the beds can be used again.  My bed should be emptied by April 7 leaving it available for more summer flowers or vegetable plants. 

With the bulb on tulips can store about 2 weeks longer in a cool area.  

Also it's easier to get a longer stem for display when the bulb is pulled. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Kenzie's family is in the flower business.   They have several beds they grow flowers in.  They are using one of mine for tulips. Since Tuesday they have pulled about 400 tulips from beds.  She has planted 3,000 tulips this year. 

There are a few reasons tulips are grown as annuals and thus the bulbs left on.  Once the tulips are all pulled the beds can be used again.  My bed should be emptied by April 7 leaving it available for more summer flowers or vegetable plants. 

With the bulb on tulips can store about 2 weeks longer in a cool area.  

Also it's easier to get a longer stem for display when the bulb is pulled. 

Are the bulbs then replanted in the fall?

On 3/7/2024 at 3:57 PM, DaniDanielle said:

In between my nursing duties I made a cake for my daughter’s 44th birthday tomorrow.  She is so down in the dumps I hope this cheers her up a little.IMG_2195.thumb.jpeg.04bced84d6df95569b4ace4b1448612c.jpeg

Sorry I'm a bit behind.   Happy Birthday to your Daughter.  🎈🎆 Your cake looks delicious😊

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you folks start Daylight Savings Time this weekend?

Wierd that our sailing starts daylight savings tonight not Saturday night.    They said they start early for everyone to adjust to time difference since we disembark Sunday morning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Re:With Jardiancec and, possibly,Metformin, the commercials note that patients loose a certain amount of weight combining medication with diet and lifestyle changes.

Obviously, a patient cannot remain on a high caloric diet, take the medication and expect great changes in weight.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just dont remember my mom being presented with different options that cost. She was already in her 90s and didnt drive so maybe all we cared about was close up. Good to know. Thanks.

My hubby had cataract surgery last year.  He was given 3 choices.  #1 fully covered by insurance but still need glasses. #2 would have cost around $1000 per eye but still need reading glasses or #3 cost around $1800 per eye and no glasses. 

He picked #3 and is so happy he did.  He has worn glasses since he was in elementary school and contacts for many years.   No glasses or contacts needed.  Perfect vision now.

$9000 sounds rather high.   I would double check that $$

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My hubby had cataract surgery last year.  He was given 3 choices.  #1 fully covered by insurance but still need glasses. #2 would have cost around $1000 per eye but still need reading glasses or #3 cost around $1800 per eye and no glasses. 

He picked #3 and is so happy he did.  He has worn glasses since he was in elementary school and contacts for many years.   No glasses or contacts needed.  Perfect vision now.

$9000 sounds rather high.   I would double check that $$

Yea suspiciously high but this doctor just started his own practice. The day I came in another older patient kinda whispered to me that this doctor is really good. I think he got the surgery and very happy. He was there for a follow up visit after surgery. So I'll probably just go on with it, though I agree prices he is quoting he must be making out somehow. But i think hes good. He gives off a good confidence. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I saw that on the news. Very interesting to actually see the video of the tire dropping off. I'm wondering if that tire was recently changed and someone either didn't put the lug nuts on or didn't tighten them.

I just heard that two planes just clipped each other in Miami. I don't have details yet.

From what some aviation experts say is that a loose tire is normally a maintenance issue and not a problem created by the manufacturer.  So in this case, I guess the maintenance team that changed the tire didn’t do a very good job at tightening the lug nuts.

I just read that in Miami, apparently, an American Airlines plane’s wing clipped the tail of a Frontier Airlines plane that was parked at a gate preparing to board passengers.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Just got to see Kenzie!  She is helping with the flowers again today. 

image.thumb.png.c1414d46e3d2184cf291c5369eb6e1c9.png

Kenzie has the best smile!!!!  What a happy little love!!🥰

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1