Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

36 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Smooth finishes seem to show imperfections.   Our house, built in 1970 has plaster walls with a swirl finish.  

What I didn’t know, until we did a full kitchen remodel in the 90’s, was that the kitchen designer could tell who did the plaster work by looking at the swirl pattern.  We dropped the ceilings over the new cabinets and put in can lights.  We said we wanted the dropped part to have the same swirl pattern as the rest of the house.  They said “Oh, so and so is still working, so we can have him in to match it.”

When we had a guy redo our small bath a couple years ago. We had him do the same finish. 

Our next project is just a repainting of our master bath.  Took the wallpaper border off last week, and the new one arrived yesterday.  New curtains are here, so now we are looking at paint colors to go with all of it. 

This is the swirl pattern that will get a new color. 

IMG_0937.thumb.jpeg.0333ed621f0b97849b77c558b3deb9c5.jpeg

I love that pattern. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't think anyone intentionally installs popcorn ceilings anymore. 😉 We took ours out here ourselves. Most difficult DIY job ever! The other house still has some. Hopefully, we can pay someone to remove them. Also my mom's "leaf art" . For some reason she thought it would be a neat idea to modge podge a bunch of fall leaves on the wall. They will have to be sanded off. 🙄

Both of our houses have popcorn ceilings.  Our home in SC had a leak in the roof due to hail damage, insurance covered the roof and ceiling repair.  Leak showed in kitchen which is connected to main living and diningbareas.When the insurance adjuster came they said they would pay to have the popcorn removed from the entire area since it was connected, fix the bad spot and re popcorn.  We asked do you have to redo it, how about smooth and paint.  Insurance agreed, contractor was not happy.  Took way too long and very messy.  They set off smoke alarm one day due to the dust, yes the central one, that was a fun phone call, no we don't have a fire no need to send anyone, pleas turn off monitoring for today.  Bedrooms and sunroof still have popcorn.

Have also had to do the wall sanding, one bedroom in our house had flowers painted all over the walls and another sailboats.  They looked OK but not the colors I wanted and didn't match anything else.  Many hours were spent sanding and repainting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is knockdown?

Badically a smoother version than popcorn. They stray then use a throw to smooth the texture out.

IMG_4296.thumb.png.69d478e72080599e5b7aefb99d629f04.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Badically a smoother version than popcorn. They stray then use a throw to smooth the texture out.

IMG_4296.thumb.png.69d478e72080599e5b7aefb99d629f04.png

Our entire Main floor and the finished inlaw area downstairs is all the knockdown style.

20240409_091509.jpg

Even a little fancy area overtop the dining room light.

20240409_091630.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is knockdown?

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@Ocean Boy Just now saw your post. Does my post post above help explain?

Thank you both for the question and answer.  This whole time I was thinking knocking down the ceiling seems pretty extreme, not to mention messy & labor intensive. 

I was having a nitwit moment. I blame the earthquake & solar eclipse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you both for the question and answer.  This whole time I was thinking knocking down the ceiling seems pretty extreme, not to mention messy & labor intensive. 

My friend who does drywall and did our basement told me that while knockdown takes more time to smooth things out it less messy than a popcorn. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Hopefully the eclipse will replace Covid and supply chain issues as the excuse for everything that goes wrong in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I found out this weekend that a bad computer mouse can bring down your computer. I use a laptop computer, light and portable, but I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. The mouse has been misbehaving, a single click made multiple things happen. Like reading here in a thread, but a click to go back one step goes back more.   

Anyway way, now the thing wasn't doing anything. Couldn't  click out of a window. My computer has a touch screen. I tried that. Finally had to turn the power off. Restarted  and it didn't get any better. I am thinking the computer is broke. Fortunately , I have another mouse, although it has no keyboard which is why I don't use it. The computer now working again. Off to Best Buy and got a new set.  

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I found out this weekend that a bad computer mouse can bring down your computer. I use a laptop computer, light and portable, but I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. The mouse has been misbehaving, a single click made multiple things happen. Like reading here in a thread, but a click to go back one step goes back more.   

Anyway way, now the thing wasn't doing anything. Couldn't  click out of a window. My computer has a touch screen. I tried that. Finally had to turn the power off. Restarted  and it didn't get any better. I am thinking the computer is broke. Fortunately , I have another mouse, although it has no keyboard which is why I don't use it. The computer now working again. Off to Best Buy and got a new set.  

Put a new battery in the wireless mouse and see then how it works.

• Like 3

Thought I'd add to the paint topic.  This is the paint on my previous house living and dining rooms.  Swirls of I think 3 colors. I loved it and the house.  It just got too big for us after our daughter married.

image.thumb.jpeg.54ba00774a895f1800f7d3aa0899ff49.jpeg

• Like 21

On 4/8/2024 at 9:59 AM, brookmill18 said:

With our daughter in London for the three years, we have also been looking at P&O but it seems to be very difficult to book from the US. I think I'll keep looking at their UK site to see itineraries and get a sense of fares and then try to see about booking through their US site. @grapau27 photos over the years have been wonderful and I like the idea of doing some European ports outside of the US summer season.

One agency has exclusive rights to P&O sales for North America

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thought I'd add to the paint topic.  This is the paint on my previous house living and dining rooms.  Swirls of I think 3 colors. I loved it and the house.  It just got too big for us after our daughter married.

image.thumb.jpeg.54ba00774a895f1800f7d3aa0899ff49.jpeg

Beautiful home Bonnie.

How are you doing? Back to normal hopefully?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

My friend who does drywall and did our basement told me that while knockdown takes more time to smooth things out it less messy than a popcorn. 

We have knockdown.

• Like 1

Back when I had my own contracting company that specialized in basement renovations all we did was flat ceiling, no popcorn, no knockdown.  A bit more time but a much cleaner look that added visual height to the room.

As for getting rid of popcorn ceilings we always just installed new sheetrock over top, even if it did not contain asbestos.  That also allowed us to cut dozens of holes in the old ceiling to add pot lights and fish wires.  Run a bead of caulking around the perimeter walls and install crown molding and you did not even have to tape the corners which saved you from repainting all of the walls.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2