Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love doing day trips to the city. I haven't been up there in almost two years thanks to this virus. The same can be said for NYC.

From 1970 to 2015 I have been to Boston many times. After I retired in 1999 I went to work in a friends business.He was a long time friend of a guy you may have heard of,Rico Petrocelli.

24 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Before 2016 WDW had the Streets of America section in Hollywood Studios. During Christmas they displayed Christmas lights that danced to music and had "snow" falling from the sky.  The lights began when the Osborne family, from Arkansas, agreed to donate their display to Disney. Initially called The Osborne Family Festival of Lights, the display debuted at MGM Studios ( now HS) for the 1995 holiday season.  Each year more was added and it grew to over 5 million lights displayed.  2015 was the last year of the display.  This area is the land that eventually became Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.

Second attempt to post this.Google Guarino Christmas Display.

23 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was able to get on google maps and click street view.  I started at Spray Beach Yacht Club and went down 23 st to where you can walk out to the beach near Spray Beach hotel.  Looks like a great place to visit.  It wouldn’t let me view the beach so thanks for posting the pics.

Btw, this is my second attempt at posting this.  When I hit submit it deleted it.  This time I am typing this in "notes" then pasting so if it deletes again I won’t lose it.

Yes, that's the street we are on.  My parents were members of the spray beach yacht for many years so we used to go alot.  

The Spray Beach Hotel is a really nice place.  When our house is rented in the summer, sometimes we stay at this hotel on weekends. 

When we stay at our house we frequently walk to this hotel for various meals or just to stop at their sand bar and take a strawberry daiquiri to the beach.  They have a nice happy hour with good oyster specials too!  Yumm!

Usually have live music at outdoor restaurant and bar.    We always enjoy.

My parents were friends with the owner and alot of their staff know the regulars from every year so they let us use their swimming pool and hot tub whenever we want.  It's great having this just a couple houses away.

You should come and visit some day!

Heres photo of the hotel from the beach.

20210623_133349.jpg

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Alonzo Jr Powell, or as we always called him "Scooter" He was my best friend as we were both drummers . He had a very successful career playing on tour with jazz guitarist Norman Brown and many others. Not only was he an incredible drummer but was one of the kindest most genuine human beings around. Here is a video of him playing with Norman Brown on a tune called "Third World." The video does not show the true talent that he was. We lost a gift tonight and my heart is broken but he will never be forgotten.

Alonzo Jr Powell.  Rest in Peace my brother.

I’m sorry to read about the loss of your friend. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

From 1970 to 2015 I have been to Boston many times. After I retired in 1999 I went to work in a friends business.He was a long time friend of a guy you may have heard of,Rico Petrocelli.

Of course, he played for the Red Sox!

• Like 1

I had a girlfriend that worked for Cunard Line in Midtown Manhattan way back in the late 70's.  My first couple of cruises were with her on the old Cunard ships.  We used to frequent McAnn's Bar which I believe are no longer there.  Forgot the address.  Somewhere not to far from Grand Central Station.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks like a great day to do that. Is Lucy hanging out with you?

She’s sleeping in the barn. Lisa is hanging by me know, but we are heaing in to get a turkey into the oven. 

Lucy left behind some “trophies” from her hunting escapades, so she is probably full bellied and tired. Someone, that someone being me, has to clean up the remnants.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Our next event is we have booked a sailcation from Southampton in a few weeks.  Stopping at Liverpool and Belfast on Celebrity Silhouette .  First time on a cruise ship in nearly two years so very exciting  though different I'm sure 

This sounds great.  I would love to do this.  My wife retired a couple months before everything shut down. We were so ready to travel the world.  As of now I am hesitant to book anything out of the state only because of the chance of it being canceled and having to deal with all of that.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely pool.

Great place to hang out and relax.

Just as I envision your yard as well. Some shade on a sunny day with a cool breeze. Paradise. As I am typing there must be close to a dozen bees in the lavender beside me, dunk in nectar. 

Sleepy Lucy has made an appearance as well.  She moved from her bed in the barn to her poolside haven.  

3DE6D663-9EFC-4C66-90B4-12647992D380.thumb.jpeg.ebfb8fc1371e8495dda859e074bb9af3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Second attempt to post this.Google Guarino Christmas Display.

I DuckDuckgo’d it 😂.  That looks cool.  I take it that you got to visit it.

It’s hard to google the original Osborne lights.  Most of the pics that come up are the ones from WDW.  I found 2 but they don’t do them justice. 
80B7B80A-03B3-496B-9288-75224BE0D698.jpeg.21908fda3481aa630195c68be817549b.jpeg2F2FA530-E117-4443-AE9A-EB230C44EC06.jpeg.5b5e9f09b6b27a85608e6eccec34e972.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I had a girlfriend that worked for Cunard Line in Midtown Manhattan way back in the late 70's.  My first couple of cruises were with her on the old Cunard ships.  We used to frequent McAnn's Bar which I believe are no longer there.  Forgot the address.  Somewhere not to far from Grand Central Station.

My first job at 17 was a computer operator for US Lines , which at that time 1967, owned SS United States and SS America was a to young to cruise , left them in 1968. I definitely remember McAnn’s bar I believe there was more than one of them.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The older you get the more you realize the importance of enjoying every day of your life.May all of us who post on this wonderful thread enjoy life to its fullest.

Lenny, do you remember when you could come off the GW bridge, drive along the Hudson, and be under the bows of all the ships docked at the piers? A long time ago! It was always exciting. 
When my DH and I did did a TA on QEII, 

we sailed from that area, but our flight was so late, I was frantic to get to check in before they closed up, so didn’t look at anything. Sailing out, I could see tennis courts, etc, on the old piers. 
And then, of course, we stood all the way aft waiting to see the funnel hit the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. 
I kept saying we wouldn’t hit it, but had my camera ready to take a picture as the funnel fell on us!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Lenny, do you remember when you could come off the GW bridge, drive along the Hudson, and be under the bows of all the ships docked at the piers? A long time ago! It was always exciting. 
When my DH and I did did a TA on QEII, 

we sailed from that area, but our flight was so late, I was frantic to get to check in before they closed up, so didn’t look at anything. Sailing out, I could see tennis courts, etc, on the old piers. 
And then, of course, we stood all the way aft waiting to see the funnel hit the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. 
I kept saying we wouldn’t hit it, but had my camera ready to take a picture as the funnel fell on us!

Our first cruise was from NYC to Bermuda on Celebrity's Horizon. It was pretty exciting to be on the Hudson River Pkwy and see her docked at the pier. Couldn't believe I was going to get to live on the ship for a week. And going under the Verrazano I had my camera ready!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I found 2 but they don’t do them justice. 

Osbourne lights are awesome. They used a lot of products that I did some freelance work for. I got an opportunity to do computer show programming for a company called Animated Lighting. They specialized on computerized Christmas light shows. Their controllers and ones from a company called Lightorama were used in their display. Since I am a Christmas freak I used some of the money I earned on buying their products. Here is a video I made of my display where I did the programming. It uses 16 channels and I have 3 animated trees with over thousand lights. It's not Christmas yet but here it is anyway.

• Like 10

TSOD.   First one was st maarten while doing some weeding, pressure washed front walk, driveway and even our curb.  And washed 2 of our cars. Love our pressure washer!

Now showered and wearing Bermuda.  We were supposed to be on the b2b Vision sailings out of Bermuda 8.07 thru 8.21.  So sad, we love Bermuda.

That was also our first cruise.  Out NYC on HAL Veendam with my parents.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Will you be allowed on your own? We had a wonderful guide for Belfast and the Giant Causeway.

And we were booked on a Beatles tour in Liverpool with a company which was a pleasure to deal with, but Covid "got in the way...".

Yes I think from this week you can go ashore on your own . I was going to book The Giant Causeway ships tour but its fully booked. We're probably booking the Titanic Museum . For Liverpool the cruise port seems to be right in the centre of everything so will probably just wonder around, 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This sounds great.  I would love to do this.  My wife retired a couple months before everything shut down. We were so ready to travel the world.  As of now I am hesitant to book anything out of the state only because of the chance of it being canceled and having to deal with all of that.  

I'm in a similar situation.  I was planning on retiring in May 2021 but covid and the travel industry got particularly badly affected and the airline I worked for looked for redundancies in November 2020. So I retired about six months earlier than planned but with a redundancy payout.  But all the travelling planned for the far east and Australia and NZ is on hold for the time being. 

We had a couple of holiday cottages in the UK in the last year,  and this cruise is for fully vaxed over 18s and tests for everyone . Three tests for under 18s . But still over on the celebrity board they are reporting four cases of covid on the Silhouette cruise that finished yesterday 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3