Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I may have a pager, but it hasn't been active since '96

I’m thinking texting is today’s pager.  I guess that wouldn’t help me though, yesterday I noticed I had 2 text from Monday on my phone.  If they don’t text my iPad, I don’t notice it for awhile.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Remember how hard it was to make corrections.  Fix the top copy and fix the carbon copy.  Sigh.

30 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I had forgotten all about carbon paper.  

.... and sometimes more than one copy, even 5, for example, to be filed and distributed to various divisions....

When a I got accepted to the University (1969), my father bought me a portable type writer with a huge novelty -- an automatic space bar....

1973 -- IBM's Selectric -- such a huge improvement !! I'm still keeping 2 balls 😁

DSC_7348.jpg2.jpg

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

.... and sometimes more than one copy, even 5, for example, to be filed and distributed to various divisions....

When a I got accepted to the University (1969), my father bought me a portable type writer with a huge novelty -- an automatic space bar....

1973 -- IBM's Selectric -- such a huge improvement !! I'm still keeping 2 balls 😁

DSC_7348.jpg2.jpg

No Hebrew characters🤔

• Like 1

In High School I remember having a shop class where we learned to line up typeset for a print machine.  I guess we were being prepared for a future career 😂.  I remember a guy dropping one of the drawers with all those letters in it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Wow, what did people do without a screen to stare at!

I remember black and white shows but can’t remember being without the tv.  I remember being the "remote control " for the family at times.

We used to sit in the floor in front of our radio console and listen to shows like Green Lantern, The Shadow, and Inner Sanctum.
Believe me, you didn’t need to see with your eyes when your mind saw so well. Inner Sanctum always scared us to the point of sleeping with the light on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Our neighbors have said there are bears seen occasionally around our area.  I would love to see them.  Maybe someday.  

One of my daughters and family have a house in upstate NY and bears are there frequently.The last time I was there a bear came to the house and peaked in through a window.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We had a large black and white with those goofy rabbit ears when I was a little kid.  3 stations, my sister and I were the "remotes" up and off the couch.  😄  We were also in charge of "tuning in" for better signal.  😉 

We had a black and white tv with rabbit ears when I was an adult.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I may have a pager, but it hasn't been active since '96

I remember having to wear a pager when being on call in my IT job and using a huge mobile phone. 
No bears in our area but lots of bobcats and coyotes.

Edited by George C
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When we got a Toyota Corolla for our first daughter in college, we got the basics.  It didn’t even have electric windows . She later told us a friend riding with her had to ask how to role the window down.  When she showed  her friend how to turn the handle, she thought cranking the window down was so cool.

Tonight after dinner my grand kids will be watching an Iron Butterfly DVD.

I want them to see and hear something unique .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Looks like CC has changed the way the post count is... observations of the "post whoring" was never an issue for me.  Never really paid attention to it.  😉  

Though sometimes when I would read a post from unfamiliar waters...which spat out harsh negatives...I did glance to see if they were "one hit wonders".  😄 

Why is there a need to have a post count?I have been posting 22 years on a nostalgia board.There has never been a post count and nobody has a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

In High School I remember having a shop class where we learned to line up typeset for a print machine.  I guess we were being prepared for a future career 😂.  I remember a guy dropping one of the drawers with all those letters in it. 

I remember that too and I was in HS way before you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We used to sit in the floor in front of our radio console and listen to shows like Green Lantern, The Shadow, and Inner Sanctum.
Believe me, you didn’t need to see with your eyes when your mind saw so well. Inner Sanctum always scared us to the point of sleeping with the light on. 

My children recently bought me a CD with 100 episodes of Inner Sanctum ,The Shadow and other shows that I listened to at home in the 1940’s

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tonight after dinner my grand kids will be watching an Iron Butterfly DVD.

I want them to see and hear something unique .

Even more unique for them to see and hear is the Woodstock (3 days of peace and music) DVD. ✌️☮️

• Haha 1

Just now, davekathy said:

Even more unique for them to see and hear is the Woodstock (3 days of peace and music) DVD. ✌️☮️

Yes,I have that DVD too.The last time they slept over which was pre pandemic I played Beatles CD’s and Jefferson Airplane.My 17 year old grand daughter has since bought a few Beatles CD’s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My gas died this year and I bought the Ryobi too!  What I like about it is you don’t have to yank on a rope to start it.  At first the screw on the screw on the adjustable handle came loose.  As a safety thing it will not run with it loose.  It took awhile to figure it out but no problem now.  Although I have a riding mower I usually use the Ryobi in the in the front yard for a more even cut.

I have replaced a lot with Ryobi.  We also got the Ryobi battery garden tiller, air blower and other stuff.

We also have several Ryobi products...leaf blower is in constant use around here!

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gardening is great exercise and can be really satisfying.  It's meant to be good for mental health too ,though I'm not so sure when bugs get your plants and my tomatoes won't ripen 😡

We had a great vegetable garden on SI.  We tried for 2 or 3 years, and gave up.  The critters around here, especially the groundhogs, chipmunks and families of squirrels defeated me.  My daughter planted beautiful flowers where the garden bed is.  Did I mention I think we finally discouraged the groundhogs in our backyard ?

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Cucumber Mohito in the little glass.

The big glass was Alaskan snow crab,langoustine and salmon caviar cocktail.

Graham

Inquisitive mind wanted to know!  Thank you, Graham!  So happy you and Pauline had such a great cruise.  Love the pictures!😉

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Does a VOIP phone count as a landline?

Remember using carbon paper with the typewriter so you could make a copy

Ah yes, the carbon paper.  My grandchildren thought the carbon paper was pretty cool when I showed it to them.  Yes, I did find a piece among my papers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1