Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, Bonnie.

Our whole house is an art gallery.... Some more "samples" 😁

20171105_170357.jpg

20180702_090549.jpg

diva 1.JPG

DSC_4787.JPG

Whoa! That Omega clock! 
And I love the woman’s hat (hair?)

How wonderful  to live with these pieces of art. 
I just saw the rest of them. Amazing!
Such imagination and the talent to create something tangible  from it. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Hey, a bit off track, but I remember some of you posting about St. Augustine.  Where do you recommend we stay?

We have stayed at Doubletree historic district (older but excellent service), Homewood Suites in San Sebastian (new and walkable to town, but valet parking only) and  Embassey Suites in St Aug beach ( my fav if you can swing a couple days to enjoy the beach and pool). We like all three, but I love ES since it is beach front. There is also a Hampton Inn few blocks down the beach. If you are just looking for a place to spend the night enroute, there are several hotels closer to I 95 near the outlets.

We also recently stayed at Element Jacksonville Beach and loved the hotel and area. New hotel and easy parking. I know its not St Augustine, but thought I will mention in case it helps anyone.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Any decent FLL pre cruise hotel recommendations? We are getting very tired of the Renaissance and the Embassy suites rooms on 17th street is turning into a chemistry lab with mould and musty odor.

I was checking for February. Drive down from Orlando on day of? Thoughts appreciated. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sheal said:

@Momof3gurlz  How did you find this joint?  It reminds me of that commercial that was playing on the radio a few weeks ago.  $40 for 40Lbs of ribeyes.  Look for the trailer in the Warwick Mall parking lot.    Btw, ignore that "momof3girls" notation below.  I was a little hasty and clicked on it before I proofread.  I can't see to get rid of it.

@momof3girlz4750CA87-D761-4F3F-8EB8-18FC8776E2B5.thumb.jpeg.31926c936bcb9fba3ef6e0cf39a5ce47.jpeg

It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives on the Food Network several years ago and it’s pretty well known in Baltimore. They have some other locations but we wanted to try the original. It’s only a couple of miles off I-95.  
I saw that ribeye sale tent in the mall parking lot last week, near Target.  Seemed sketchy (but then so did Chaps Pit Beef in the strip club parking lot LOL), did you buy them?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

We have stayed at Doubletree historic district (older but excellent service), Homewood Suites in San Sebastian (new and walkable to town, but valet parking only) and  Embassey Suites in St Aug beach ( my fav if you can swing a couple days to enjoy the beach and pool). We like all three, but I love ES since it is beach front. There is also a Hampton Inn few blocks down the beach. If you are just looking for a place to spend the night enroute, there are several hotels closer to I 95 near the outlets.

We also recently stayed at Element Jacksonville Beach and loved the hotel and area. New hotel and easy parking. I know its not St Augustine, but thought I will mention in case it helps anyone.

Arzeena, are we channeling each other?! I was just coming here to say we stayed at the Doubletree Hilton Historic District.  We really liked it, they have a nice little bar in the lobby.  It was just about a mile walk to the historic district, shops & restaurants.  
Island Lady also highly recommends a bed & breakfast but I can’t recall the name right now, I think it started with a “B”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Arzeena, are we channeling each other?! I was just coming here to say we stayed at the Doubletree Hilton Historic District.  We really liked it, they have a nice little bar in the lobby.  It was just about a mile walk to the historic district, shops & restaurants.  
Island Lady also highly recommends a bed & breakfast but I can’t recall the name right now, I think it started with a “B”.

Just found it, it’s Bayfront Westcott B & B in St Augustine.  This is for @helen haywood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No. All are DH. I'm more into needle work 😉

Your husband is very talented.  What kind of needle work?  I knit, spin and weave with a little embroidery on the side.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

While we're speaking of the weather ---

Took advantage of the extremely sunny weather, and invited my HS friends for a brunch.

DH was so happy to be given a "mission", he "produced" some 8 different dishes. I had a list of what goes in the oven to heat, what's in the fridge, pita bread in the toaster oven, so much so, that I took a picture of the table, but, then, when the "gurlz" "invaded", I was overwhelmed....

No food pictures....😢

At least DH got back in time to take a pic of us [he leaves when I'm "entertaining..."].

"Shy" is his 2nd name....☹️

HS friends1.jpg

HS friends.jpg

Looks wonderful Dani!

14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Dinner tonight with our Sarah and her best friend.

Graham.

IMG_20211105_200432.jpg

IMG_20211105_195415.jpg

IMG_20211105_204002.jpg

IMG_20211105_210316.jpg

IMG_20211105_210328.jpg

IMG_20211105_220213.jpg

Lovely and elegant as always Graham. 

• Thanks 2

Well the actual Disney portion of our trip starts today when the remainder of the family arrives. Only some of us arrived yesterday. The “gurlz” ran a 10k this morning and have the half marathon tomorrow morning.  Weather has been very un-Florida like, at least for us. Yesterday was a total rainout & the high was 68. Today’s high temp will be 61 but at least some sun. Weather improves each day.  I’ll try to catch up each night - it’ll be my respite from the crazy, full, fun park days!  I will need a vacation from my vacation! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Your husband is very talented.  What kind of needle work?  I knit, spin and weave with a little embroidery on the side.  

Thanks.

When we lived in Brussels, I've done a lot of knitting. Here, being very warm, knitting is much less popular....

I assume it's called "croix embroidery"? I've chosen the most difficult one....

arab.jpg

Arab1.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 12

19 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I can knit, if you like lonnnnng scarves LOL.  Never learned all the stitches, increasing, decreasing, etc.  

My thing is counted cross stitch. It’s tedious but I find it very calming.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

wow...thanks so much!  We were at Cape May once before - 14 years ago - stayed at the same resort. Memorytown, at one time, appeared to be going down the tubes - they were no longer renting cottages and all they had was the restaurant - and that wasn't open very often. Then, under new management, they really brought it back. Spruced the place up, reburfished the cottages, converted a barn into a lovely wedding facility, and also started doing ATV tours - hour rides on paths through the woods (at $100 a pop for the driver and something like $40 for a passenger). Restaurant went from a lunch-only (basically sandwiches, fries, etc.) place to a pretty fancy dinner-only place. Along with the weddings, I think they're in great shape. Only sad part is the beatiful indoor pool sprung a leak about 35 years ago, was never fixed, and so they filled it in. Nothing was done with it. Currently just used for storage. 

This brings back memories of living in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.  We used to ski at Camelback.  I remember going to a week long training course in the Pocono Manor Hotel, one of the large, ornate (at least at the time) old school Pocono resorts.  It was sometime during the fall...between seasons...and we literally had the entire resort to ourselves.  No other guests.  It was a little creepy.  Reminded me of The Shining (here's Johnny!).  Looks like the Pocono Manor is currently closed.  Hopefully, that's just a short term Covid thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

And I love the woman’s hat (hair?)

I think is her hair (actually, 2 pairs of my old sandals...).

The dummy tailor he found also on a designed site for different garbage...

He painstakingly wounded rope around her body, and used a discarded piece of metal and an old covering of a bed lamp for her "hat / head".

I like the "dummy" very much.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Sea Dog said:

I apologize for my absence. In the midst of getting ready for the cruise. Our beloved Maggie took a turn for the worst.

Posted on the review thread.

616247133_MAGGIERIP.thumb.jpg.b0e196593949b3d1edbe7a52ea2b164c.jpg

Farewell my little Miss Sea Dog

This dog is very sad. How quickly can one day be full of joy and another full of sorrow. This morning we had to let Maggie go rest in peace. She has never been the same since her sister Penny passed last June. They were inseparable. The last couple of weeks we saw her health decline rapidly. She wasn’t eating. She was losing her eyesight. She could not support herself.

Maggie’s long time vet said her kidneys were failing. He said that she would probably not live to see us get back from the cruise. She was over 13.5 years old. She lived longer than most Cavalier King Charles Spaniels live. Most live from 9-13 years. 

She was Jonathan’s first pet. He loved that dog so much.  Maggie loved all of us. Every night she would alternate between laying next to me or Linda. She was truly a lap dog.

So Last night Jonathan came over to say his goodbye’s. It was tough. One last night together cuddled up together and then this morning goodbye.

I hope to honor her life by enjoying life the way she did. Always having a happy face. Loving to eat and drink and splurging on an occasional treat. Staying close to ones you love. I hope some day to remember how lucky I was to known her love with wonder not grief.

Goodbye my beloved Miss Maggie Sea Dog. I know you are laying next to Penny and looking over us. We will always miss you and love you.

I am sorry I have not been able to respond to each of you. I have read your comments and your outpouring of love, support and concern overwhelm's me. I can not thank you enough for your support. I am truly blessed to have each of you in my life.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful Maggie.

49 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Well the actual Disney portion of our trip starts today when the remainder of the family arrives. Only some of us arrived yesterday. The “gurlz” ran a 10k this morning and have the half marathon tomorrow morning.  Weather has been very un-Florida like, at least for us. Yesterday was a total rainout & the high was 68. Today’s high temp will be 61 but at least some sun. Weather improves each day.  I’ll try to catch up each night - it’ll be my respite from the crazy, full, fun park days!  I will need a vacation from my vacation! 

November is generally the only time we get weather like this, a cool front, rain off and on all day long, with no sun.

Before I met my current wife, I would spent a lot of time at the beach, my favorite being a local municipal beach.  The had a fellow who had a contract with the city for the beach chairs , umbrellas etc. His contract required he be there 365 days a year.  So, when this weather came along, a buddy and I  would go down and find him  keeping warm in his hut, negotiate a deal to use his chairs for a year.  That was the only money he would make till the weather got better, so he was happy, and we were happy.  I was working, so I generally would only go on the weekend.  He was semi -retired , so he would normally go during the week.  Win win all around.  

WE do get the cool fronts during the winter season, but no rain, just sunny, windy cooler weather. That is our dry season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I don’t remember any printing on that first postwar ball, but it would have been around 1945, so my memory is fading!

But it did have a good bounce!

Growing up, ours just had the one word Spalding stamped on it.  That's how we knew it was the real deal.

@dani negreanu I'll just add a WOW to your husband's art work which includes your needlework as well.  Your husband has an artistic and creative eye that sees "beyond the box". You both are very creative and talented.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No. All are DH. I'm more into needle work 😉

An old shaving machine

20200618_111346.jpg

Time

שעון.jpg

Chunk of woods found in garbage

20201017_102344.jpg

20201017_102830.jpg

Man + woman = kid

20210701_075659.jpg

Wow Dani, your husband has a real eye for art and design. Is he self taught? He should put on a show 

I love the 'time' piece. 

Your knitwork is lovely too.

My mother was so talented with all things craft, knitting, sewing, cross stich etc. But I never had the interest or patience to learn . I gave all her knitting needles, wool and silks to her care home when she died for their craft sessions 

I love having some of her work on our walls

This is one of my favourite 

20211106_141455.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Any decent FLL pre cruise hotel recommendations? We are getting very tired of the Renaissance and the Embassy suites rooms on 17th street is turning into a chemistry lab with mould and musty odor.

I was checking for February. Drive down from Orlando on day of? Thoughts appreciated. 

I completely agree with you about Embassy Suites on 17th.  We have stayed there a couple of times and would not stay there again.  We had one room that looked like the bathroom door had been kicked in.  Other time, you could write your name in the dust it was so thick.  The lobby is nice and refurbished but they need to work on the rooms.

We have also stayed at a Marriott Courtyard on Fort Lauderdale beach.  Rooms were clean, great views up the beach.  We were there the weekend of the air show and saw the Thunderbirds practicing up the beach, was magnificent.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks.

When we lived in Brussels, I've done a lot of knitting. Here, being very warm, knitting is much less popular....

I assume it's called "croix embroidery"? I've chosen the most difficult one....

arab.jpg

Arab1.jpg

Wow that looks fantastic.  It is warm here most of the year so I knit with linen, cotton and silk for the most part.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Hmmmm nope, not familiar.  I remember the paddle balls with the string attached.  I so stunk at that.

I think I remember my sister telling me she didn't know an Estelle?

OOOO I have to goggle that store!  You can buy old fashioned candy online but more fun to buy in person.

We girls used our spalding balls bouncing them and chanting  "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Al.  We come from Alabama and we sell apples",  turning our legs around each word that had the letter A, then B, C, etc.  

BTW my sister and I had lunch in Deli News, a major disappointment.  I had to send my barley soup back.  Before covid, it was thick, hearty with barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery in a flavorful broth.  Today it tasted like plain salt water with only some barley in it.  Pastrami was not the kind I remember them selling pre covid. Didn't really even look like pastrami.  Wide pieces of meat  with blackened edges that they passed off as pastrami.  Trust me.  I know my pastrami as I gather you do.

THIS is what real pastrami looks like.   I'm salivating 😋 :

Sous Vide and Smoked East Coast Pastrami | Allrecipes

Pastrami is my all time favorite sandwich 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I completely agree with you about Embassy Suites on 17th.  We have stayed there a couple of times and would not stay there again.  We had one room that looked like the bathroom door had been kicked in.  Other time, you could write your name in the dust it was so thick.  The lobby is nice and refurbished but they need to work on the rooms.

We have also stayed at a Marriott Courtyard on Fort Lauderdale beach.  Rooms were clean, great views up the beach.  We were there the weekend of the air show and saw the Thunderbirds practicing up the beach, was magnificent.  

We were at embassy suites on 17th in July terrible stay will never stay there again. We have the Hilton marina booked in 4 weeks hopefully that will be ok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1