Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Hey, a bit off track, but I remember some of you posting about St. Augustine.  Where do you recommend we stay?

We stayed at the World Golf Resort in St. Augustine .  It is as the name implies a golf resort with a movie theater ,  restaurants and the Golf Hall of Fame is located there.  I took the shuttle to the historic district while husband worked.  This was in 2019.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Allentown,PA.My family and I were there in the mid 80’s.I still have the brochure from the amusement park where my wife was stung by a bee and had to go to a hospital ER.

Was that Dorney park or maybe The Great Allentown Fair with hospital across the street?

15 hours ago, Luckynana said:

How very nice!

Wow, Pat!  Pretty awesome!  You and Bucky find the most beautiful rentals!  Enjoy your trip!

Thanks we are, though the original forecast of having temps in the lower 50s has dwindled to not much higher than 38 the rest of the week with clouds, rain...and gulp..snow!!   Poor sun lizard Bucky is freezing, but we enjoyed our fire last night..and as always...the wine helps!  😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The “gurlz” ran a 10k this morning and have the half marathon tomorrow morning.

Are they doing the Goofy run where you run all the available races?  Our cruise friends are running it again in January. I think it’s four days of running. I have no idea how they do it.  I hear the rooms at Disney are filling up.  Do you plan to ride the new Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure?  We are looking forward to checking it out.  Have fun!

I have been having trouble signing in today. Frustrating as I wanted to reply to a few posts here.

Hopefully, this will post !

Dani- So glad that you could get together with your friends for a delicious lunch.

As we get older, seems that life long friends become even more cherished.

BonTexasNY- Yes, Cracker Barrel has a lot of “nostalgia” candy. My DH and I frequented CB during our drives to and from NY - Fl. I would like to see one on LI,but so far nothing. There are a few in Connecticut though. 

Teabury gum- do you remember the Teabury Shuffle ?

We also played with the Spaulding balls, were they called Pinkies ? Not sure.

We said that exact A my name is Alice etc game also. Used it with the ball and also with jump rope. I think we almost had the same childhood !

Islandlady- You and Bucky find the most scenic rentals either on the Right or Left 

Coast! Do you go through VRBO or AirB&B ? Enjoy your stay in that pretty place.

Graham- As always, you and Pauline are looking good ! Pleased that you could share a lovely dinner with your dear niece and her BFF .

Lenny- Kudos to your two daughters for choosing a teaching career. It is not always easy, but the good days are worth the effort.

I retired with a thirty- five year teaching career ,teaching in both parochial and public schools in NYC and here in Eastern LI. Enjoyed it very much,but in my retirement, I don’t miss the bureaucracy, but I  do miss the students.

To all the other posters here, I hope you are feeling safe and loved today !

Take care,

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Has Delta brought back meals and beverage service in first class? I'm reading conflicting info.

AA gave us crappy "vending machine" snacks only in their first class.   

At least Delta gave us a choice of three meals, prepacked in a nice box.   Light meals, but I had a decent chicken salad, and Bucky had a yummy Italian sandwich for lunch.  The snacks were also added...but as an extra.  Plenty of adult beverages and way better attentive service.   

Still not even close to what it used to be pre-Covid...but at least Delta is doing a better job.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Wonderful view. Very peaceful. The condo, at least the living room, looks like instant comfort. Not any “new territory” vibes. 

It's a nice condo.  Two bedroom, two bath...though it's just the two of us.  Huge kitchen...plenty of room to play pretend Chef.  😄 

Very quiet at night, and indeed peaceful.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Islandlady- You and Bucky find the most scenic rentals either on the Right or Left 

Coast! Do you go through VRBO or AirB&B ? Enjoy your stay in that pretty place.

MJ🙋🏻

Thanks!  I have fun researching our adventures for sure.  😉 

We stay mostly VRBO....but this one is a time share exchange credit I needed to use up before the end of the year.  Same thing with our Delta flight...also needed to use that credit before it expired end of the year.  

We have been to this area, and this resort (staying in different units) six times.  It's pretty here...but this is much later in the year than we normally come here...hence the much colder weather.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Hey, a bit off track, but I remember some of you posting about St. Augustine.  Where do you recommend we stay?

We stayed at the Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront hotel for a wedding.  It was very nice but pricey.  Some of the other wedding guests stayed down the street at a Best Western that they said wasn't bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Hmmmm nope, not familiar.  I remember the paddle balls with the string attached.  I so stunk at that.

I think I remember my sister telling me she didn't know an Estelle?

OOOO I have to goggle that store!  You can buy old fashioned candy online but more fun to buy in person.

We girls used our spalding balls bouncing them and chanting  "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Al.  We come from Alabama and we sell apples",  turning our legs around each word that had the letter A, then B, C, etc.  

BTW my sister and I had lunch in Deli News, a major disappointment.  I had to send my barley soup back.  Before covid, it was thick, hearty with barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery in a flavorful broth.  Today it tasted like plain salt water with only some barley in it.  Pastrami was not the kind I remember them selling pre covid. Didn't really even look like pastrami.  Wide pieces of meat  with blackened edges that they passed off as pastrami.  Trust me.  I know my pastrami as I gather you do.

THIS is what real pastrami looks like.   I'm salivating 😋 :

Sous Vide and Smoked East Coast Pastrami | Allrecipes

11 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Hmmmm nope, not familiar.  I remember the paddle balls with the string attached.  I so stunk at that.

I think I remember my sister telling me she didn't know an Estelle?

OOOO I have to goggle that store!  You can buy old fashioned candy online but more fun to buy in person.

We girls used our spalding balls bouncing them and chanting  "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Al.  We come from Alabama and we sell apples",  turning our legs around each word that had the letter A, then B, C, etc.  

BTW my sister and I had lunch in Deli News, a major disappointment.  I had to send my barley soup back.  Before covid, it was thick, hearty with barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery in a flavorful broth.  Today it tasted like plain salt water with only some barley in it.  Pastrami was not the kind I remember them selling pre covid. Didn't really even look like pastrami.  Wide pieces of meat  with blackened edges that they passed off as pastrami.  Trust me.  I know my pastrami as I gather you do.

THIS is what real pastrami looks like.   I'm salivating 😋 :

Sous Vide and Smoked East Coast Pastrami | Allrecipes

Estelle Engel,Seward 1962.I was friends with her and lost touch in 1966.If there is a reunion and both your sister and Estelle attend perhaps she can say hi for me.

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No. All are DH. I'm more into needle work 😉

An old shaving machine

20200618_111346.jpg

Time

שעון.jpg

Chunk of woods found in garbage

20201017_102344.jpg

20201017_102830.jpg

Man + woman = kid

20210701_075659.jpg

Your DH is an Amazing artist!  I love how he re-purposes different items.  Does he ever sell his pieces?

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Estelle Engel,Seward 1962.I was friends with her and lost touch in 1966.If there is a reunion and both your sister and Estelle attend perhaps she can say hi for me.

I'll mention Estelle to my sister again.  This time I have a last name.  My sister didn't go to her past reunion, I doubt she'll go to this one.  Big expense with airfare, hotels, food. etc.  She won't fly in the near future because of covid but it's still in the talking stage anyway.

Having lunch today with 4 or my bestie TX friends. Taylor Swift is not the only one with a girl squad!

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, NHProud said:

We stayed at the World Golf Resort in St. Augustine .  It is as the name implies a golf resort with a movie theater ,  restaurants and the Golf Hall of Fame is located there.  I took the shuttle to the historic district while husband worked.  This was in 2019.  

I hope y’all had a chance to visit the Hall of Fame. It’s really well done. I was a docent in the historic section for about 10 years. Talked about feathery and gutta percha balls like a golfer. 
which I have never been!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Not on this trip. We visited Antigua in August on the Equinox. Only ship excursions were allowed out if the ship. So we stayed on board.

St. Kitts is doing some sort of “bubble” at the port so that passengers without ship excursions can get out and meander in the port area……last I heard. On that same cruise they cancelled St. Kitts and replaced with Aruba and Curacao……no complaints, we love A and C too. 

Have you tried the Hilton at the marina on 17th in Fll?  We stayed there a couple of times, nice pool and outdoor bar/restaurant at the marina.  Restaurant has a nice fred breakfast, even better if you are a hilton gold member.

I havent checked if Pier 66 Hotel is done their renovations yet but that was nice pre reno.

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We adore the Bayfront Westcott B&B.  Best one we have ever stayed at.  Comfy rooms, fantastic service to spoil you rotten, and out of this world great breakfast.  

Loved sitting out on the balcony with a glass of wine and happy tisers they supply around 4-5 pm. 

The view over the harbor is wonderul!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does he ever sell his pieces?

No, he donates or carries out a work for a worthy cause, without monetary compensation.

For example, he's done this for the fight against sexual violence [people not talking about it], or for peace among our neighbors and us.

Both pieces sold very well 😁

IMG_8404.thumb.JPG.85de7ec80846f316459e790cd2892c46.JPG

IMG_9344.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I hope y’all had a chance to visit the Hall of Fame. It’s really well done. I was a docent in the historic section for about 10 years. Talked about feathery and gutta percha balls like a golfer. 
which I have never been!

Yes , we did visit the Hall of Fame and I agree with you about it being well done . I was not impressed with the looks of the green jacket , though . I’m not a golfer and had no clue about your reference to the golf balls . I must have missed that exhibit.   

All the the best to you next week . Wishing for you a full recovery.  Being as curious as Dani I had to look up the why to those prep instructions.   

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 3

On 11/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, helen haywood said:

When one cat we got from the shelter last year died unexpectedly three months later, I was so in shock I went immediately back to the shelter to get another cat.  There were some adorable fluff balls…all already spoken for.  There was an ungainly spindly black kitten…and I came home with her.  That’s Menise.  She is black but has white porcupine hairs in random places…she has a body too large for her head…she’s not going to be on a Hallmark card.

But she is the sweetest cat I’ve ever had. She sleeps on my pillow at night.  She goes downstairs with me when I wake up.  She goes back upstairs with me and waits patiently on a bath mat while I shower and blow dry my hair.  She curls up in my lap whenever I sit down.  At night when we watch TV she’s asleep on the sofa back behind my head.  She’s never hissed or growled…she doesn’t even really ever mew…she merrows in her throat.

I might have thought I wasn’t getting a beautiful cat…but I came home with the most beautiful spirit I’ve ever had the privilege of taking care of…who takes care of me as well.

Just to say, Greg, and all you other animal lovers, they occupy such a large space in your heart.  So when they are gone there are memories…but there is also a vast sorrow.

E5780A04-167C-41A9-BF55-4042DD10C235.jpeg

1C99CB3D-1CE4-437D-8F7E-F499EEAD7B51.jpeg

CFEBD4E7-322F-4CC3-B109-840667ACDCA4.jpeg

She is your Beautiful Black Beauty just like our Chloe is to us. Love how she crosses her paws.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we’re posting art let me share some pieces a good friend did.  One is a scarf and the other square is an interpretation of the beach at Amelia Island.  She felts them.  She explained the concept to me…unfortunately she was speaking Urdu…. You really need to see the scarf in the sun…there are sparkly threads in it…

image.thumb.jpeg.eb9882d049e0728adfabf85f4c4c1cf8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb6679b6d6a75aec48a8728cdaafaf15.jpeg

• Like 13

And thanks everyone for the St. Augustine hotel recommendations!!  We used to break up our two day drive to Florida with a stay at Ormond Beach…but I was interested in seeing someplace else…and I’ll look into these.  I may save some of the pricier options for a special occasion…since we generally arrive after 4 and leave the next morning all I really want generally is a clean room, comfortable bed and near some restaurants.

Which brings me around to my next question…what restaurants there do you recommend?  Unfortunately our next trip has us staying there the day after Thanksgiving so I figure a lot of places will be closed…

• Like 2