Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I guess they just wont the crowd at the bar rather disperse to lounge chairs or other tables.

We just got an email that Puerto Rico was canceled, duh!  However, they have changed St. Lucia to St. Thomas.  Can’t see that happening since St. Thomas has been turning ships away!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just got an email that Puerto Rico was canceled, duh!  However, they have changed St. Lucia to St. Thomas.  Can’t see that happening since St. Thomas has been turning ships away!

Explorer docked at St. Thomas a day or two ago according to someone on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, NHProud said:

We’ve canceled our May Pacific Coastal Cruise mainly because of husband’s knees .  

So sorry you had to cancel. Re: cruising, we're all experiencing disappointment after disappointment...

52 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Both of his knees are arthritic and are bone on bone however no surgery planned , yet.

I have a friend in the same "situation". She tried the injection with a solution made from a crest of a roaster... Didn't help.

It seems that knee replacement is the only "viable" option.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

looks like you can charter the yacht for $1.2M a week

Not many are jumping on board at this price so I will share an alternative.   I noticed this....... this...... option.  I haven't researched the price and no interior pics but hey, it's an option. I saw it as we were leaving port Sunday.

20220109_173410.thumb.jpg.611a4ba6ddc8c7faba0a5af6f42f3736.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Our sports medicine certified doc is taking a very conservative approach to treatment in my opinion.   Wishing Greg S much success with his operation. 

I understand where he is coming from. I spent the last five years doing various knee injections and waffling about getting replacement done. For me the bottom line was being able to really enjoy myself on a cruise because of all the walking. I am going with the robotic self assist method in that it is less invasive and most patients report faster recovery time. My good friend and coworker just had it done with the doc I will be using and he is able to walk without using a cane and reports no knee pain in the joint except for stiffness and soreness around the incision. He had his surgery in late November. I'll report here how it goes for me but I would encourage your husband to go ahead and do it. Plan a cruise 3-6 months after knee replacement and I think you will be good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

We’ve canceled our May Pacific Coastal Cruise mainly because of husband’s knees .  Both of his knees are arthritic and are bone on bone however no surgery planned , yet.  Most likely to keep patients out of the hospital.  Our sports medicine certified doc is taking a very conservative approach to treatment in my opinion.   Wishing Greg S much success with his operation. 

Also, not a big fan of cruise ship protocols right now.  Of course, they are necessary however with all the changes I believe passengers are not getting what they paid for in restaurant dining , port closings and changes , and entertainment. 

I know it doesn’t work for everyone but I was told years ago that my knees were bone on bone, but since I started taking the over the counter instaflex advanced I have no pain on most days and very little on others. They will mail you a sample for free.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I understand where he is coming from. I spent the last five years doing various knee injections and waffling about getting replacement done. For me the bottom line was being able to really enjoy myself on a cruise because of all the walking. I am going with the robotic self assist method in that it is less invasive and most patients report faster recovery time. My good friend and coworker just had it done with the doc I will be using and he is able to walk without using a cane and reports no knee pain in the joint except for stiffness and soreness around the incision. He had his surgery in late November. I'll report here how it goes for me but I would encourage your husband to go ahead and do it. Plan a cruise 3-6 months after knee replacement and I think you will be good.

My orthopedist always said not to replace a joint until it impacts your lifestyle.

I put it off till I couldn’t step off a curb without almost passing out from pain. Foolish of me!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Who is Melissa in The Allman Brothers song Sweet Melissa?

Hope this helps answer your question:

Gregg Allman spoke at length about this song in an interview with the San Luis Obispo (California) Tribune on November 30, 2006:

So one night I was in the grocery store - it was my turn to go get the tea, the coffee, the sugar and all that other s--t... and there was this Spanish lady there and she had this little toddler with her - this little girl. And I'm sitting there, getting a few things and what have you. And this little girl takes off, running down the aisle. And the lady yells, Oh, Melissa! Melissa, come back, Melissa!' And I went, 'Oh - that's it.' I forgot about half the stuff I went for, I went back home and, man, it was finished, only I couldn't really tell if it was worth a damn or not because I'd written so many bad ones. So I didn't really show it to anybody for about a year. And then I was the last one to get to Jacksonville - I was the last one to join the band that became the Allman Brothers. And my brother sometimes late at night after dinner, he'd say, 'Man, go get your guitar and play me that song - that song about that girl.' And I'd play it for him every now and then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been a lazy, relaxing day for us today.  We just got off, walked around the port at Roatan, and got back on.  

All this talk about knees!   When we walk, I usually wear a brace, but forgot to pack them.  But surprisingly, it hasn’t impacted my stair climbing.  Haven’t set foot in an elevator these two weeks, and it shows. 

4CF2DCBE-B038-4E87-BAE5-4BC43ED491BA.thumb.png.7f2d6f05f66ec563e259cb2b6fa9c29f.png

It is early, I will be over 100 again by the end of the day, but not as many as last week. 

Today has also been my lowest steps in two weeks so far.  Some of my exercise friends on Fitbit say, why so many, aren’t you on vacation?🤣🤣

56C103D4-5D99-4705-B081-E206221DE1E4.thumb.png.1a8e5db0794ae364004f30d87daee677.png

I know by the time the day is done, it will be similar to my other days this week. 

Now for a couple of “unspectacular photos” from today.  But at least there isn’t any snow in them. 

A941072B-FE22-43E4-82B1-CC12A7C553DC.thumb.jpeg.5a00b4cd36143d79b4d73a13614e8910.jpeg

4B0887C6-04FD-4742-B052-369610787D83.thumb.jpeg.6710f99aec4e086eb70421e9753def29.jpeg

8AB903E7-6712-42AF-9533-4839DB37B5C3.thumb.jpeg.25381157ddd9cafb464af20dd354e8e3.jpeg

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

OK, I am still testing.   Is a Miami Vice as good In a hot tub..I know we all have our personal opinions but I say yes but they seem to melt quicker.   And it is hard to capture a pic.  This was my third attempt. 

20220113_153433.thumb.jpg.c9788921618a8eb03f7865f085241e5c.jpg

Third attempt with the same drink?

or are you making each attempt with a new drink?

• Haha 5

How was my day today you ask ?

I was in a doctors office,lost my balance and started to fall.I reached out to the receptionists desk.Had I not been able to break my fall I would have gone head first into the table.My doctor ran out of his office and helped me get into the exam room.I am fine but everyone working there was very scared.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

This has been a lazy, relaxing day for us today.  We just got off, walked around the port at Roatan, and got back on.  

All this talk about knees!   When we walk, I usually wear a brace, but forgot to pack them.  But surprisingly, it hasn’t impacted my stair climbing.  Haven’t set foot in an elevator these two weeks, and it shows. 

4CF2DCBE-B038-4E87-BAE5-4BC43ED491BA.thumb.png.7f2d6f05f66ec563e259cb2b6fa9c29f.png

It is early, I will be over 100 again by the end of the day, but not as many as last week. 

Today has also been my lowest steps in two weeks so far.  Some of my exercise friends on Fitbit say, why so many, aren’t you on vacation?🤣🤣

56C103D4-5D99-4705-B081-E206221DE1E4.thumb.png.1a8e5db0794ae364004f30d87daee677.png

I know by the time the day is done, it will be similar to my other days this week. 

Wow, I'm in awe, anything over 10,000 steps I'm happy with 

How do you get so many steps in, do you walk for hours around the decks, use the gym ?

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How was my day today you ask ?

I was in a doctors office,lost my balance and started to fall.I reached out to the receptionists desk.Had I not been able to break my fall I would have gone head first into the table.My doctor ran out of his office and helped me get into the exam room.I am fine but everyone working there was very scared.

Glad you didn't hit your head.  Hope your day was better after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Not many are jumping on board at this price so I will share an alternative.   I noticed this....... this...... option.  I haven't researched the price and no interior pics but hey, it's an option. I saw it as we were leaving port Sunday.

20220109_173410.thumb.jpg.611a4ba6ddc8c7faba0a5af6f42f3736.jpg

I had seen this after watching your ship sail away the other evening, John, and was wondering what kind of boat it was?  I was taught, when I worked for Moore-McCormack Lines many years ago, that you can put a boat in a ship, but can not put a ship in a boat.  From the looks of this boat, it looks like it could fit onto your ship!!!  Just sayin.....😁

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I understand where he is coming from. I spent the last five years doing various knee injections and waffling about getting replacement done. 

Jim and I have never heard of this kind of knee surgery before, Greg.  I forget...when is your surgery scheduled for?  Jim had gone through the knee injections several times himself..

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thank goodness you were able to break your fall, Lenny!  Be careful!

• Like 2