Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Puppy Toys:

It's amazing how much people will spend on toys for their pets. We have spent our fair share on the puppies, but it's this one common household item that they love the best. Check the video out.

I never really wanted a dog before, but your adorable puppies might just change my mind.  Well, except for the potty training thing... 😉  Thanks for the smiles.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Eeks! So it has been really warm in our cabin since we got on yesterday. We thought maybe because the curtain had been left open until we got here so we didn't complain. Thought it would cool down so we eventually went to bed. It got a little cooler over night, but when we got back to the room about 11:30 today it was 83° in here. Maintenance is here so we are hoping it gets fixed. 

Now for the eeks part. We keep the phone on the bottom shelf of the nightstand so we can use the top and middle. When I grabbed it to call maintenance I accidentally hit the 911 button (which I didn't know until they answered). Tried to hang up, but I couldn't do it fast enough so they answered. I told them it was an accident and that everything was ok. Being so hot in here and thinking maintenance would take a little while I wasn't dressed to impress or maybe it was not dressed at all. 🤪 

Someone knocked on the door so I yelled just a minute since Mike was in the bathroom. I could not get dressed fast enough and I was definitely trying. About 5 seconds later they knocked very hard this time and was saying something so I yelled again. Mike was then able to answer the door and it was security. I had my back to them trying to finish my last buttons. This might have not looked to good to them as if there was a problem. They asked 3 times if everything was ok all the while looking at me. I told them what happened and assured them all was fine. Hope they believed me. 

BTW, from the time I hung up the phone with 911, got undressed, laid down and about 20 seconds later security was at the door. They were very fast and we are towards the aft. Next time I will know where not to grab the phone. 😁

We keep the phone on the bottom shelf, or under the bed, too.

One time I heard someone trying to open the door, I had locked it from inside.  I thought it was hubby so I went to open it. It was the sleazy security guy. Said just doing routine check. Never seen that kind of "routine check" before. But he did go along the next few cabins trying the same thing. I am saying "sleazy" because everytime we passed him I said to hubby that there is something sleazy about this guy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning. Wanted to share 2 pictures. First one is from yesterday. Second is showing the 9 inches of snow taken a few minutes ago. More snow to come from this storm. Then lake effect snow to start. 

495DD5D2-D546-4241-A16B-4780B671B778.jpeg

51F4AB6C-DFDF-4F40-8F37-B5A2A9B07334.jpeg

I am not looking forward to that.  I know I will have to clear my drive before we can even pull in and unload suitcases.  My daughter sent me this picture of the snow at the kids playhouse. 

55856924-EF6B-4339-9943-1C209C0B9BDA.thumb.jpeg.4082bbb082e529a5e64dd4018de69d15.jpeg

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

You were only about 30 minutes from me when you crossed the bridge.  Hop on Heckscher Drive, drive up through the coastal islands, and you're there.  

If you want a seafood restaurant suggestion in Savannah, try Pearl's Saltwater Grille.  We used to really enjoy that place when my parents lived on Skidaway Island.  It was called Pearl's Elegant Pelican back then.

When we were looking at different places to stay on our way north, my wife was looking at a Marriott on Amelia Island.  With the wind and cooler temperatures, we decided to go on up to Savannah.  

We did manage to find some good seafood today.

shrimp appetizer 

78482626-E2DC-4BFC-8750-303470E98898.thumb.jpeg.b2d40ea266b39bf5e90b773a470ef878.jpeg

shrimp creole 

E088CFB9-F6A8-46AA-A3CB-CB900A21793A.thumb.jpeg.88250e1f9218192803a0d10d019dbf96.jpeg

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, derorim said:

Dang, the guy just popped in a tail light and drove off!

Either Virginia Drivers are tough, or he was in shock and didn't really know what the heck he was doing.

I think the back window popped out too, but i guess he decided to leave that since it was probably shattered.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

While everyone is on recommendations let me put in my request.  We are scheduled on Mariner in early Feb, we will drive to the port and stop along the way either on the way down or the way home. With all the talk of Amelia Island thinking about there time. I see Bob @bobmaclibertyhas already given some great recommendations for restaurants, what about hotels, nothing too fancy will most likely be for 1 night, maybe 2 at most. Locations with variety of things to do close by preferred..

Also looking for hotel recommendations near the port, will probably do 2 days.  Again location with things to do close by.  Will most likely park at the port so shuttle not important.  Have sailed out of Port Canaveral a few times but always around an Orlando trip so never stayed there.

Any other tboughts, trying to finalize plans, usually have done way sooner but was afraid to plan in case we didn't go.  Still not 100% sure but getting more confident every day so starting to look.  Will probably do home test before out just in case, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Puppy Toys:

It's amazing how much people will spend on toys for their pets. We have spent our fair share on the puppies, but it's this one common household item that they love the best. Check the video out.

Our cats love empty box’s to jump in or to sleep in. Just returned from our favorite restaurant they increased there martinis specials from 3 to 4 dollars unfortunately it just at lunch time and no live music like they have for dinner time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I think she used Royal's math.

I noticed TIA at the end of others posts.  What does it mean?  I thought it was her name. 

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Seems she considered them stuck at sea because they were going to have 4 sea days on their way back to NY.  The original itinerary is 3 days to return🧐!

Let me think.  4 sea days with food, entertainment, etc., moving and not stranded.  Electricity/toilets working.  Refund 100% plus 50% credit on a future cruise.  If that's stuck at sea, I'm all for it!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Very interesting video.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I just watched a few minutes. She didn't look sick😉

About 3:30 in she shoots video of her in the infirmary. She looks like she feels like crap. But then again she is so beautiful that even in her worse days looks better than most people.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Pictures from Harmony 

20220117_154421.thumb.jpg.97dba155b2d8163b3daabc10935624fd.jpg

20220117_154440.thumb.jpg.80dae794f8a836d87bbc59a4c9a1c109.jpg

Great pics of you two. Glad you have fun. Was that after the win?

• Like 1

@Sunshine3601Debbie, I sure hope you are able to continue on your cruise. I know you and Marietta were looking forward to meeting but there will be other cruises and work does come first.

Negative covid tests to all who have cruises coming up.  OB, your idea of starting a thread for others to jump in sounds great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:05 PM, Sea Dog said:

@firefly333 Hey Jane question? Looking to book hotel in Galveston for our October cruise. I know we had some conversations about places to stay. Did you recommend The Beachfront Palms to stay? They had cruise parking for the week correct? Any others you like ?

Here is another place we thought was quite nice when cruising out of Galveston. We had a rental car we picked up in Houston at the Airport

Boardwalk Inn in Kemah, Tx. , it's about 25 miles from the cruise port, was fine with us because it was a neat area. We stayed there a couple days.

https://www.kemahboardwalkinn.com/index.asp

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

About 3:30 in she shoots video of her in the infirmary. She looks like she feels like crap. But then again she is so beautiful that even in her worse days looks better than most people.

What I thought was alarming that she is young and great physical condition and it kicked her in the butt. A lot of older people if they were as sick as her would have been in very bad shape. That's the scary thing, this virus hits everyone so differently. and you may not make out that well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What I thought was alarming that she is young and great physical condition and it kicked her in the butt. A lot of older people if they were as sick as her would have been in very bad shape. That's the scary thing, this virus hits everyone so differently. and you may not make out that well.

That's exactly what I thought. 104 degree fever is pretty major. I felt bad for her. I'm glad she did the video. It can hit anybody.

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That would be an interesting feature for Cruise Critic to add to the site.  In addition to the roll call threads (since not everyone participates), they could create an area where you enter your upcoming cruises.  You could then see the user names of everyone else on the same cruise.  Now that I think about it though, it probably wouldn't do much good without the ability to DM someone.  Never mind.

Our last cruise…2019! Unbelievable!

Anyway, our Roll Call decided to have name tags made. 
I had a trophy place make mine. They look like business name tags. 
mine says Jagsfan, Dick’s says Jagsfan’s DH. 
I saved them to wear on Harmony in 2020…then 2021, and now, hopefully, 2022. Our Roll Call was dead last time I checked, but if I wear my name tag a couple of times, I may hook a CCer who recognizes the name. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I can’t thank you enough for this!  If we’re ever on a cruise together ( can’t remember if you’re doing the Bella trip) I owe you a drink or three.  
Sliders looks good for casual but I also like the idea of wine & tapas at Bar Zin.  I’m between the Hampton Inn or the Omni.  The Hampton should be fine for a one night stay, plus we earn points.  But my vacation deprived, YOLO mindset is telling me to go for the Omni even though it’s twice the cost.  Weather is also a factor, so we’ll probably land at the Hampton. 

The Omni is a nice resort with a lot to do, including very nice beach and pool areas.  Might not be worth it for one night though.  There are two Hamptons on the island.  One is on Sadler Road about the middle of the island, close to Sliders.  The other is in the historic downtown Fernandina Beach area on the marsh side of the island.  If you want to be close to the beach, chose the Sadler Road location and eat at Sliders.  If you want to be closer to more restaurants, bars, shopping, etc., chose the downtown location.  We've stayed at both and they are your typical Hampton Inns.  Click here for a recent YT video showing some of the downtown sights.  For one night, I'd chose the downtown location.  

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

While everyone is on recommendations let me put in my request.  We are scheduled on Mariner in early Feb, we will drive to the port and stop along the way either on the way down or the way home. With all the talk of Amelia Island thinking about there time. I see Bob @bobmaclibertyhas already given some great recommendations for restaurants, what about hotels, nothing too fancy will most likely be for 1 night, maybe 2 at most. Locations with variety of things to do close by preferred..

Amelia Island has several "personalities" so hotel recos will depend on what you like/want.  As I said to @Momof3gurlz, I'd pick something in the downtown area for just one night.  The Hampton is the only regular hotel there but there are several B&Bs in historic homes if that's your thing.  That's best for a quaint, historic area with lots of eating/shopping/etc.

There are a few more chain hotels (Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Home2Suites, Comfort Suites,  Courtyard by Marriott) near the biggest public beach areas if you prefer to stay near the beach (but not directly on it).  You'll find some on Sadler Road, and a couple on Atlantic Avenue.  There are also some local hotels and B&Bs in those areas that seem nice from the outside (Seaside Amelia Inn, Elizabeth Point Lodge, Amelia Hotel at the Beach), but we haven't stayed at any of them.  

There are also two large/expensive resorts on the island...The Omni and the Ritz Carlton.  Both are great with nice pools, restaurants, spa, golf, etc. but not cheap, so probably not your best bet for 1 night.

Finally, there are a lot of Condos/AirBnBs available.  Many are right on the beach, but you may have a hard time finding a place for 1 night.  

The island is relatively small, about 13 miles long by less than 4 miles wide.  No matter where you stay, you're just a short drive to anywhere else on the island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ok, but you may need to offer her some editing tips😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1