Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Yesterday when all was said and done we had close to 15 inches of snow down. The Colorado got stuck in the drive. Could not get our tractor with snow blower out of garage. Last night our Neighbor came to the rescue and plows us out.  When the DH gets home from work he will tidy up the driveway. 

54F4D18A-DF2B-415E-8370-AAEB76862918.jpeg

F2435ED9-B539-4884-A8D1-745851CBE7EC.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Yesterday, we spent our day walking around Savannah.  We got to River Street around 10am, and the place was nearly empty. 

A55B142A-64EF-49EA-B9B7-FCF7E19D5AA2.thumb.jpeg.3c3675b37e15d0cdd2bed2cace8fee9c.jpeg

2EB2839F-94E9-49E7-9C01-941335F79608.thumb.jpeg.ef65a672c90af873dc8ceb2b9a303f7b.jpeg

At least the sky was blue, and no sign of snow here. 

70EDDA84-DDE0-4E5A-A0B4-950389383A30.thumb.jpeg.eb1f9f140e35e6238d1a4b82b9bb47cf.jpeg

759B06D0-998A-459C-90C5-0131DD207E6F.thumb.jpeg.d161a82ef53f98341e8a46823c58549a.jpeg

I felt like I was back on the ship, with a mandatory mask mandate. 

99B3D11A-BEA3-48F4-A428-A7C51F0B9A4D.thumb.jpeg.67593e5545b799128c9774e7396b5a2e.jpeg

Today, we plan to travel as far as North Carolina, or about a 5 hour drive to our favorite hotel.  

I say it is part of my plan to slowly get acclimated to colder weather.  50’s yesterday, 30’s today, and single digits when we get home on Wednesday. 

I hope you had a praline on River Street. They’re the best!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Pretty cold here and still another two months of winter to go . In normal years we would have a break somewhere warm to look forward to in the winter. 

We had a lovely walk yesterday along the Thames path towards Henley-on-Thames 

20220116_154210.thumb.jpg.67c2ed72397a4491f76450adcade660e.jpg

20220116_155002.thumb.jpg.204821ae70b34acf606abf623944427c.jpg

What is the white building? At first glance, I thought it was a folly, but it looks too substantial. 

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Tornadoes are the worst.

And I've been in all 3

Joplin, Missouri - tornado

Northern Virginia - blizzard

Cocoa Beach - hurricane

And I forgot flooding and Ice Storms

St Louis, Missouri 

I was in the tornado of 1985 that went thru Niles Ohio

I survived the blizzard of 1978 in Youngstown Ohio

I was Wilderness lodge for Hurricane Charlie on that Friday the 13th. (cannot remember year)

I survived the Earthquake on New Years Eve in Youngstown Ohio (due to fracking) few years back

But most importantly I survived by avoiding the main boards and not getting in trouble.....yet.

Stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

27 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

It was 30F at 6:30 this morning when I took Oliver for his walk.  It was chilly with some frost on the roofs, cars and pool umbrellas.  Even Oliver didn’t want slow down and watch the squirrels in the trees.  LOL.  We should get in the mid 50’s today.  I still prefer this weather than the summer in the upper 90’s with 99% humidity. 

The Panhandle is always enough colder than we are…enough for some snow a lot of years when we have had none since ‘89. 

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

That happened here too. Grr. I don't know on how many share in the tip. Cap Lee says he does give a fair share to those we don't see.

I recorded the replay of the show last night and saw the $25,000 tip which Capt Lee said was $2,270 pp.  That would be 11 shares of the tip.  There is Capt Lee, Rachel, three stewards and four deck making 9 people we see.  I think the engineer and first officer usually get a share and aren't typically on camera but Eddie's first officer this season, so they must still have another relief Capt or something.  Other option would be Capt Lee gets two shares but I don't think so.

24 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I was in the tornado of 1985 that went thru Niles Ohio

I survived the blizzard of 1978 in Youngstown Ohio

I was Wilderness lodge for Hurricane Charlie on that Friday the 13th. (cannot remember year)

I survived the Earthquake on New Years Eve in Youngstown Ohio (due to fracking) few years back

But most importantly I survived by avoiding the main boards and not getting in trouble.....yet.

Stay safe.

You'll love this

I was also in a small earthquake in Seminole, OK.  Also blamed on fracking. Go figure.

And why was I in Seminole, OK.  I worked for an oil field services company. We did fracking.😉

We like to call it Hydraulic Fracturing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Here is another place we thought was quite nice when cruising out of Galveston. We had a rental car we picked up in Houston at the Airport

Boardwalk Inn in Kemah, Tx. , it's about 25 miles from the cruise port, was fine with us because it was a neat area. We stayed there a couple days.

https://www.kemahboardwalkinn.com/index.asp

Kemah Boardwalk Inn is a great venue.I stayed there twice.The staff was the nicest I ever encountered..I recommend it to friends and relatives who will be in the area and everyone loved their stay there.

• Like 1

The snow stopped yesterday just after noon and about 16" or so but other than main roads nothing has been plowed.  Schools cancelled for a second day while everyone digs out.  Not even sure Vikki's Enclave (FWD) could make it out of the court.  We are at the bottom of a pretty good hill.  Coming home from a walk with Merlin this morning there was someone that was trying but they weren't succeeding.  Dreading how deep the windrow the plow leaves behind.  Being at the bottom and on a curve everything from the top down tends to get dumped on us and our neighbours.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

I have also lived through a tornado, blizzards and quite a few hurricanes but the most terrifying for me are earthquakes. We had just moved to the San Francisco area in 1989 and one hit right before the world series. 

I have been in California many times.The last time I was there I left my hotel room to begin my day and the lobby was full of people talking about the earthquake .I did not feel a thing.

@DaniDanielle   Marietta,    I hope all goes well with your tests today.      

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

Today is party sunny with temps in high 60's but very windy.    

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

☹️

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sad, but a good decision!

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

☹️

I know that is exactly how I feel.     😢

I am trying to tell myself maybe it was meant to be and better we get off than push our luck and stay on for another 11 nights.     I have always believed "things happen for a reason".        

So happy we are at least having a wonder 11 night cruise 🙂 and will enjoy the next 2 days to the fullest.     We will go see the Beatles celebration tonight.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am trying to tell myself maybe it was meant to be and better we get off than push our luck and stay on for another 11 nights.     I have always believed "things happen for a reason".        

So happy we are at least having a wonder 11 night cruise 🙂 and will enjoy the next 2 days to the fullest.     We will go see the Beatles celebration tonight.

I was just going to post "maybe it was meant to be" and you beat me to it.  Sad and disappointing but a good decision for you both.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry that you will not be continuing on Thursday.I believe that everything that happens in life,good and bad happens for a reason.Hopefully there are still many cruises in your future and you will meet Marietta and Charlie one day.I truly believe this,Debbie.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry you had to cut your cruise short. Company firewalls and pesky VPN's can make it difficult to wok remotely. We had all kinds of problems when Covid forced us to work remotely. Drove the IT people crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

You have on the right shirts. GO DAWGS.  I didn't realize you were a Dawg fan. What an incredible year we had.  Great pictures of both of you. 

I root for GA 364 days a year.

I just can't during the Missouri game.

MIZ....

• Like 1