Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I seriously worry about the folks that plan on working or remote learning on the World Cruise. Serenade has inadequate WiFi, especially since it's an included perk for entire ship. Hopefully they will do some upgrades before we depart

Yes, very true.   I read the threads in the beginning of booking of several families looking to do remote learning and had the same thought.   do you get surf and stream or just surf for the world cruise?

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@DaniDanielle   Marietta,    I hope all goes well with your tests today.      

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

Today is party sunny with temps in high 60's but very windy.    

☹ sorry to hear this, but happy you are enjoying your current cruise, yes get as much lobster as you can!

Thanks to all who posted about kits, put our order in

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, very true.   I read the threads in the beginning of booking of several families looking to do remote learning and had the same thought.   do you get surf and stream or just surf for the world cruise?

Not sure. I know as Pinnacle we should get S&S anyway. The FAQ says we get 2 logins per cabin. I'm curious if that means I get 3 since we are doing solo bookings😉🤣🤣

• Haha 2

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.   

Sorry to hear that you have to cut your cruise short.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just to let everyone know, the federal website that is supposed to go live to get free test kits is up now!  My state rep just posted it was live.  My order is in as well as my Mom's. 🙂 

Ordered ours as well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Sea Dog, I fully understand how pets love to play with the simplest things.  This is Minnie toying with a wadded up grocery receipt.  We call it a paper mouse.

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I didn’t notice at the time but Minnie’s older sister never even turns around!!

I've noticed and couldn't stop laughing... just being cool and going about her business...🤪

16 hours ago, Keksie said:

Kubota is home and recovering.  There was a little concern during surgery but afterwards he has been doing really well.  A lot of staples which will come out in 3 weeks.  

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's great to hear he is doing well. 🐱😍

+ 2  👍

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We both tested NEGATIVE!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So happy for you, You are going to have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations!  I am sure you and Charlie will have a wonderful cruise.  I am leaving the ship is good condition for you🍹💕

Maybe someday this summer we can all meet for dinner and drinks in LBI,

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Happy news for you!

@Sunshine3601 Debbie I’m so sorry it wasn’t happy news for you.  Although you’re sad, at least you won’t have another 11 days of anxiety.  Live it up these last couple of days!

+ 4 👍

• Like 2

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.  

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

☹️

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

+1

4 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Sad, but a good decision!

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was just going to post "maybe it was meant to be" and you beat me to it.  Sad and disappointing but a good decision for you both.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorry that you will not be continuing on Thursday. I believe that everything that happens in life, good and bad happens for a reason. Hopefully there are still many cruises in your future and you will meet Marietta and Charlie one day. I truly believe this, Debbie.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So sorry you had to cut your cruise short.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sorry to read this news. 

Oh Debbie, so, so sorry.  

2 hours ago, Sheal said:

@Sunshine3601I'm so sorry the IT people could not come up with a solution but I am glad to hear that you will receive a full refund. 

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I'm so sorry, Debbie.  I am glad that your are making the best of it, and happy about the wonderful 11 days you are having onboard, as well as on the Islands.😘

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Sunshine3601 Debbie I’m so sorry it wasn’t happy news for you.  Although you’re sad, at least you won’t have another 11 days of anxiety.  Live it up these last couple of days!

27 minutes ago, akcruz said:

☹ sorry to hear this, but happy you are enjoying your current cruise, yes get as much lobster as you can!

8 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Sorry to hear that you have to cut your cruise short.

+ 14   ☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@dani negreanui hope your grandson’s buttons surgery went smoothly and he is recovering well.

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

+2

+3

+4

2 hours ago, Sheal said:

@dani negreanuI hope your grandson is feeling recovering from his surgery! 

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

+3.  Or is it +4??  I sure hope your little grandson is totally up and around.🥰

Thank you all for your well wishes. It was a long day, starting at 5am, and finished just about now. So, so relieved.

We traveled to "keep an eye" on GS1 and take him at 8am to the kindergarten, while his parents and younger brother were already in the hospital for the 7am appointment.

Thankfully, the surgery went well, and the young patient was soon seen swapping jokes with his doctors 😁 ....  The resilience at this age is simply amazing.

After a few hours they came back home, and we've done our best to try to keep him from moving around constantly and "fighting" with his older brother, so full of energy both of them... He will spend another 2 days at home.

Enjoying his "prize" after recovery ...

PHOTO-2022-01-18-14-06-36.thumb.jpg.edec0fd7a4be6b796d591b49434c47cb.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@DaniDanielle   Marietta,    I hope all goes well with your tests today.      

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

Today is party sunny with temps in high 60's but very windy.    

When you said "limited access", are you using Stream,  or Surf only. You will not be able to do remote desktop by using a VPN with surf only. Do you have stream? Please check before cancelling anything.

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Frost warning tonight. It's getting real

18 hours ago, Keksie said:

It is 37F right now and that is at least 30 degrees cooler then I would like.  Tomorrow morning it will be 28F and I have to work at the refuge.  I am already planning how many layers I will need.  

18 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Jacksonville is supposed to get down to 32 tonight and a high of low 50’s tomorrow. For  us, winter is here, for this week. We don’t need snow to feel it!
As for the rest of you guys laughing at us,  when we’re cold, it doesn’t matter that it’s not below freezing! 

8 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

It was 30F at 6:30 this morning when I took Oliver for his walk.  It was chilly with some frost on the roofs, cars and pool umbrellas.  Even Oliver didn’t want slow down and watch the squirrels in the trees.  LOL.  We should get in the mid 50’s today.  I still prefer this weather than the summer in the upper 90’s with 99% humidity. 

Sorry that I'm late to the discussion but I was playing golf today.  38F when we were supposed to tee off at 8:10.  Frost delay kept us from actually teeing off until 9:00.  Layers, winter golf gloves, and a winter hat make all the difference.  These temps were NOT in the Florida brochure when we decided to move here. 😁

7 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I hope you had a praline on River Street. They’re the best!

Salted caramel turtles for me.  Yum.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you all for your well wishes. It was a long day, starting at 5am, and finished just about now. So, so relieved.

We traveled to "keep an eye" on GS1 and take him at 8am to the kindergarten, while his parents and younger brother were already in the hospital for the 7am appointment.

Thankfully, the surgery went well, and the young patient was soon seen swapping jokes with his doctors 😁 ....  The resilience at this age is simply amazing.

After a few hours they came back home, and we've done our best to try to keep him from moving around constantly and "fighting" with his older brother, so full of energy both of them... He will spend another 2 days at home.

I’m glad he came through it ok.

The popsicle would make anything better!

Both of my boys had them; we called them tubes. 
It’s funny; they eventually fall out, or did back then. 
One of our son’s tube fell out in first grade on his desk when his teacher was standing there. She picked it up and put it in an envelope for  me. 
It wasn’t any bigger than the tip of the nail on my little finger. 
Not what I had imagined!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thanks for the additional details!  We spent one night in Amelia about 4 or 5 years ago but it was a quick overnight on our way to Disney.  My oldest DD’s in-laws have a place there and offered us the use of it (they were in PA at that time).  We arrived early evening & went into town but most of the shops were closed.  It may have been the Salty Pelican we ate at.  We left early the next morning so didn’t get to see much at all.  If I remember correctly, their place is somehow associated with the Omni?  Anyway, this time we plan to have a full day there after a short drive from Savannah, then continue on to Ft Lauderdale the next morning.  

It's confusing, but much of the southern part of the island is what's called the Amelia Island Plantation.  It's a large, gated, planned community with a mix of houses, condos, and a retirement center, plus a few parks and other community amenities.  Your DD's in-laws probably live in the plantation.  The Omni is also located within the plantation area, as is our golf and beach club (Amelia Island Club).  There are some shared privileges between the 3 different organizations.

• Thanks 1

So happy that everything went well. When my sin had tubes put in we were a nervous wreck we acted like nothing happened. They are so resilient  at that age.

• Like 2

So glad it's over successfully.

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So happy that everything went well. When my sin had tubes put in we were a nervous wreck we acted like nothing happened. They are so resilient  at that age.

I hope that's a typo!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Foe anyone curious as to what racing a kart in winter is like here is some drone footage shot by a couple of guys who weren't even racing. They just showed up to film, they are putting together a portfolio to start a business and  are now out filming for free.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CY2xnhxFpE-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

The DH finishing touches on driveway. 

Looks way better than last night’s photo. 

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Dani, so happy and relieved for your family!

Same thoughts from our home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our drive today took us as far as Elkin, NC.  This is one of the places we always stop on our way to and from Florida.  We started to to see snow in South Carolina.  Outside our hotel, it looks like this. 

ED7BD506-25CB-4391-8A33-69BE678BA57F.thumb.jpeg.f78a37ecf6eb26714afb632aa73fb4df.jpeg

It looked like anyone with a tractor and a plow was still keeping busy here.  I was not looking forward to clearing my driveway tomorrow, after another 7 hours in the car, so I was surprised when my daughter said she had someone plow it out today. 

The hotel we are at is the one that has so many Christmas decorations, and several are still up.  I was going to fill in the sign that says “___ days until Christmas “.  It is 341 if anyone is counting. 

It seems that Santa was suggesting I turn around and find some warm weather.  

F89E5272-CEA1-4172-9486-AADE5916611C.thumb.jpeg.47e163d95d731ca3b7a5508fc1d7f358.jpeg

1D2187D1-2394-4D6F-9FAD-1BB514DEF86C.thumb.jpeg.54d1babfe45f4261d79945ac5e5da5d8.jpeg

I imagine Greg @Sea Dogwould like these. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1