Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sorry you're having to cope alone with your mums medical problems.

We went through it with our mum, she was very fit for an 88 year old but had dementia for around 8 years. It's not easy and can be heartbreaking. As the only daughter I did most of the caring and visiting, though one brother did too. My reward was that she always knew me and my husband right to the end 

Thanks for the kind words.  😁

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Lucas

Don't get disheartened by this behavior. Different people have different ways to "cope" with situations. Perhaps she is not strong enough to show support, or is in denial and does not want to acknowledge that things are never permanent . Many people feel the need to be alone to filter their thoughts. The TV wathcing is just a cover up. You go on doing what you have been doing. But don't write her out. She is a connection to your mother. You are a good person and you don't need to be bad because you think someone else is not caring enough, or your Cruise Critic advisors are telling you to show her the door to a hotel or what ever. No, you are too good of a person to stoop there. Wish you the best.

Thanks for the kind words.   My sister has been the same way the last 22 years since mom first dealt with breast cancer and she was the same way when I took care of my dad 17 years ago before he died of multiple myeloma.  When ever she visited she always left with money, I would see all the debit card purchases and atm withdrawals on my moms card.  Once I took over access to money, the visits slowed down.  Funny how that happened.  🤔. I won’t be mean to her, but I also don’t go out of my way to help her with her denial.   
Again, thank you for the kind words and wise advice.  There are some really special people on here. image.png.b1ac0f20c8750bb2859a8ea605a3440f.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes it does look like they have their own beach area.  I wonder how hot it gets and if they have any ocean breeze.  Hard to tell if built on pilings.

The entire Palms area is completely man made with multiple sub layers to ensure stability.  For an engineer like me, it's a fascinating process and an example of what can be accomplished when money is no object and leadership thinks very, VERY big (which is true for much of Dubai).  The World Islands (looks like a map of the world from a satellite view if you squint a bit) to me are even more impressive (although they might be sinking 😲) and were originally designed such that many of the islands would be private.  Michael Schumacher of Formula 1 fame was one of the first to purchase an island and build a house.  Dubai is a desert and temps in the summer will often be more than 100F/40C.  I've been there twice...both times in the fall...and the weather was nice.  Not much of a breeze though.  Probably gets hot on those island beaches in the summer, but it's a dry heat. 🤣

This video quickly discusses how the various Dubai man made islands were built.  There are much longer videos that go into more technical detail.  I've stayed in the Sofitel Resort on the Palm Jumeirah (near the Atlantis) and in Caesars Palace on the Bluewaters island.  I'd highly recommend both.  Like much of Dubai, they're not cheap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Thanks for the kind words.   My sister has been the same way the last 22 years since mom first dealt with breast cancer and she was the same way when I took care of my dad 17 years ago before he died of multiple myeloma.  When ever she visited she always left with money, I would see all the debit card purchases and atm withdrawals on my moms card.  Once I took over access to money, the visits slowed down.  Funny how that happened.  🤔. I won’t be mean to her, but I also don’t go out of my way to help her with her denial.   
Again, thank you for the kind words and wise advice.  There are some really special people on here. image.png.b1ac0f20c8750bb2859a8ea605a3440f.png

Hugs to you Lucas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I would love to get another Weimaraner. The issue is you can't just look at today's circumstances but have to project 12-15 years down the road which is their typical life span. When I do that I just don't see myself being able to give a new dog the life that I would want to provide it.😔

My friends have two Siberian Huskies.  They are 4 and 7 years old.  My friends are 70 and 76.  I invited them to go on the April 29th sailing on the Adventure.  They couldn’t because they are getting a puppy.  

Reminded them that Shelby who does all of the stuff for the dogs will be 77 in July, and 90+ by the time the puppy is near end of life.  Then I said they were nuts. 

JC <———— is comfortable with his judgement

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bailey &amp; Sophie said:

Dinner tonight was chicken cordon blue sandwiches. They were supposed to be paninis but since I don't have a griddle they had to he baked.

YUM!

20220213_185717.jpg

You don’t need a panini press.  We cook sandwiches in a cast iron skillet and weigh them down with a cast iron Dutch oven.  You could use any skillet or a plate on top for that matter…with a can on it for weight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It was ok, nothing special. I've seen better. I will say I think Snoop Dogg is the coolest dude this side of Ray Charles.

My kids loved the half time show and I've seen a lot of younger people saying it was the best half time show ever.  Wouldn't even make my top 10, but's that's because I only recognized one song (Eminem's) and couldn't understand half the music.  I did appreciate the staging and production value though.  There were probably many in the stadium like me, but the hip-hop culture perfectly fits with many of the players also (both black and white players).  Social media has videos of the Bengals kicker, Evan McPherson, staying on the sidelines at halftime to watch the show.

Snoop is either a genius or he had a publicist who is a genius.  He has been able to cross over to mainstream areas like Corona ads and partnerships with Martha Stewart that are highly successful.  Everyone seems to love him.  Definitely has that cool factor.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Totally agree....I hate any sort of rap or whatever type of "music" you'd call that.  The 2nd half of the game wasn't a whole lot better either .. Zzzzzzzz    

B O R I N G!!!  With 1.30 left and two timeouts, Brady could have easily pulled that out - no reason the Bengals shouldn't have taken the team down the field at least to field goal range. Burrow sacked, what, 8 times? And basically their last play of  the game was also a sack. Pretty pathetic 2nd half for the most part. Neither team looked like super bowl caliber tonight. 

Makes me wonder what the Bills would have done in the AFC Champ game and the SB if they could have only held the Chiefs for 13 seconds.  🤬

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

@xpcdoojk

Fresh Wings have been prepped and are drying now. Grocery store here had plenty onhand. 🙂

You said after about 5 minutes to turn them over or is it just shake up the basket?

What temp and how long total do you advise?

Doing two kinds, Franks Hot Sauce and  Baby Rays Sweet Red Chili.

For your hot sauce to you add a little melted butter to cut down on the heat or do you just use it straight out of the bottle?

Sorry busy yesterday no CC.

I use 390 on the wings in the air fryer.  400 to finish in the oven I hold them at 200 in the GE Monogram Advantium convection microwave until I all of the wings finished, at that point I put them in a bowl with the sauce, to keep the heat down, I just use let hot sauce.  I think the last batch the wife bought rays buffalo sauce and some rays dipping sauce.  Franks would have been what I bought.  Actually, tasted good.  I like to use a thai sweet chili sauce  blended with the hot sauce for a small portion of the wings for a different taste.  

I don’t use butter mainly because I am trying to limit the fat.  I mean even air fryer wings are not exactly fat free health food!  

I will read further and see how your wings turned out.  

We didn’t go out for dinner Saturday to many amateurs, but went to the Missouri State U basketball game, then Sam’s for overpriced crab legs and a bottle of Mirrabelle Schramsburg methode de champagne.  I haven’t figured out tonight’s menu yet.  I need to remember to put a bottle of Schramsburg Cremant in the fridge for tonight.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not a fan of West Coast hip-hop? I'm assuming it was West Coast since the game is in LA. i don't know the difference between West Coast & East Coast hip hop. I'll have to phone my nephews & nieces. 😉

It was ok, nothing special. I've seen better. I will say I think Snoop Dogg is the coolest dude this side of Ray Charles.

I was watching on DVR-delay. That way, I can fast forward thru the boring parts. I can watch a 3 hour game in 15 minutes.

I fast forwarded thru those as well. I'll wait until the reviews are in tomorrow & watch them on YouTube.  It's not like the old days when people would watch the Super Bowl just for the commercials.

The greatest day of my life was when I finally convinced my husband that we could record a sporting event and fast forward through all the ads, talking heads and replays.  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thank you Debbie, looking forward to a day at the beach and seeing family tonight 🥰

Sue, enjoy your day at the beach and have the best birthday ever!!! 

Our excitement for today is having AARP do our tax return for free!  A day at the beach sounds better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not a fan of West Coast hip-hop? I'm assuming it was West Coast since the game is in LA. i don't know the difference between West Coast & East Coast hip hop. I'll have to phone my nephews & nieces. 😉

I was watching on DVR-delay. That way, I can fast forward thru the boring parts. I can watch a 3 hour game in 15 minutes.

I fast forwarded thru those as well. I'll wait until the reviews are in tomorrow & watch them on YouTube.  It's not like the old days when people would watch the Super Bowl just for the commercials.

Wasn’t Snoop just charged with sexual assault and battery?  Don’t remember any similar Ray Charles stories.  

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I didnt understand why they had houses on half time show.   I hated to see someone dancing on the car.

I enjoyed the half time show, but this was the music from my university years. 

I too hated the dancing on the cars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A&amp;L_Ont said:

I enjoyed the half time show, but this was the music from my university years. 

I too hated the dancing on the cars. 

Dancing on cars seems just wrong in so many ways.  Not a good societal trend.  I actually couldn’t figure out why they bothered with the cars.

• Like 1

The Rams were in St. Louis for several years, I attended many many games there, so I was glad they won, but mostly just to keep Joe Burrow’s insane ego in check.  Poor kid was getting murdered by their horrible offensive line, but he kept making good throws.  He has a talent, that will be short lived if Bengals management don’t fix the O line.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Wasn’t Snoop just charged with sexual assault and battery?  Don’t remember any similar Ray Charles stories.  

We need to be careful with sexual assault charges.  If he's guilty...well I'm probably not allowed to say here what I think should be done to him.  Sharp instruments would be involved.  It's way too easy these days though to simply accuse someone in the hopes of getting some sort of financial settlement to make the charges go away.  Just the accusation of sexual assault, founded or not, can ruin a man's reputation.  Innocent until proven guilty.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My kids loved the half time show and I've seen a lot of younger people saying it was the best half time show ever.  Wouldn't even make my top 10, but's that's because I only recognized one song (Eminem's) and couldn't understand half the music.  I did appreciate the staging and production value though.  There were probably many in the stadium like me, but the hip-hop culture perfectly fits with many of the players also (both black and white players).  Social media has videos of the Bengals kicker, Evan McPherson, staying on the sidelines at halftime to watch the show.

I totally get that the half-time show was geared to a younger generation, people that grew up with this music. My stepdaughter, nephew nieces, etc. I'm sure they think it's the best show ever.

And the music was fine since I've listened to it with the aforementioned relatives.  I guess I've been spoiled by big visual extravagances in the past.  This looked like it could have been any old concert or the finale of American Idol.  No that Idol would have a dedicated hip-hop show.  And I guess that's why this is a big deal.  While I'm sure there must've been a hip-hop song somewhere in the past (too lazy to look it up), this was the first time a show was dedicated to solely hip-hop music. 

Like I said, it was ok. I've seen better and I've seen worse. I'm not a big fan of Maroon 5. lol

• Like 1