Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

My sympathy to Toby. As we get older, our friends become more precious than ever. 
It’s scary to think how a fall can kill you. 
I realize how lucky I was in December to avoid serious injury. 

Thanks,Mimi.Toby and this woman had another friend,they were as close as you can be.The other woman fell in her house in 2016 and passed away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Blue Springs is where there used to be  a good number of manatees. 
Sadly, they have been dying in huge numbers everywhere in Florida because of lack of food. 
Food is now being provided in the hopes of saving them. 

They are even having local residents grow lettuce for them.  Each manatee eats 10% of its body weight a day.  A full-size manatee can weigh 1,500 lbs.  

• Like 1

@Jimbo I saw your question on another thread about the size of a kitchen island.  I didn’t want to hijack that thread but figured I could do it in this one since pretty much anything goes here lol.  We too have been planning to replace a kitchen island.  The existing one is oddly shaped and placed too far away from the stove & sink. My idea is to also do 2 sets of cabinets, back to back, creating a large rectangle.  I worried how I’d feel about the loss of the open space (even though it doesn’t function well as is) and just seeing it on paper didn’t help me visualize it.  My solution, as you can see in the photos, was to lay out blue painters tape so I could get a “feel” for where the new island would be. It’s helped tremendously and now I’m sure I’m going to love it.  Now I just need to decide on the base cabinet pieces I want and get everything ordered.  DH will do the work with the exception of granite install.  

B65B1041-07F1-4AFA-AD01-B321553460C8.jpeg

02998084-8422-4DA3-B29B-8344EAF94FAC.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Jimbo I saw your question on another thread about the size of a kitchen island.  I didn’t want to hijack that thread but figured I could do it in this one since pretty much anything goes here lol.  We too have been planning to replace a kitchen island.  The existing one is oddly shaped and placed too far away from the stove & sink. My idea is to also do 2 sets of cabinets, back to back, creating a large rectangle.  I worried how I’d feel about the loss of the open space (even though it doesn’t function well as is) and just seeing it on paper didn’t help me visualize it.  My solution, as you can see in the photos, was to lay out blue painters tape so I could get a “feel” for where the new island would be. It’s helped tremendously and now I’m sure I’m going to love it.  Now I just need to decide on the base cabinet pieces I want and get everything ordered.  DH will do the work with the exception of granite install.  

That’s a great idea to mark it off before hand.  I’ve seen too many times where people wanted a lot of space between the island and the other counters or appliances only to find out afterwards that they are too far apart for daily use.  I blame all the DIY shows  over exaggerating how close some things are when two people are in the kitchen together.  How often do people need to get into the oven and dishwasher at the same time LOL.  Usually 42”-48”  between island and other counters works well. Another thing to remember is not to make an island larger than the slab of granite/marble/quarts that you want for the countertop.  A seam down the middle of an island isn’t that attractive.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My solution, as you can see in the photos, was to lay out blue painters tape so I could get a “feel” for where the new island would be. It’s helped tremendously and now I’m sure I’m going to love it.

Not sure what Jimbo's original question was, but we use blue painter's tape all the time to visualize the footprint for something.  It works well.  For things that are more expensive/larger/more important (especially to Micheline), I'll create a 3D model using Sketchup software.  It's not exactly easy to use but if you've got experience with any modeling software, it's easier than most.  There's a free online version and there's an extensive library of 3D things that you can put into the model, including many different cabinet shapes and sizes.  If you want to get really fancy, you can add a color or pattern to any surface in the model like different colored woodgrains, concrete, granite, tile, etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I think the tape is a great idea.  I am a visual person too and would even suggest putting one of the counter stools with a box on it in the corner and either drape a blanket over the whole thing or put a big piece of cardboard or plywood on it to get a visual of the area as a big island.  I agree that there is way too much space wasted there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

😁🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹

Sorry about your lose. War is sure a horrible thing. My mom was in a camp in Germany during WW ll. She really doesn’t talk about it. Lost one of her brothers in it. She was about 6 - 7.

This breaks my heart.

(I can't get rid of the drink pics)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not a good morning here today.One of Toby’s closest friends passed away this morning.She fell at home last week and sustained many injuries.She died in the hospital.

I'm so sorry to hear this news Lenny.

Sending our deepest condolences to Toby and her friends family.

Graham.

40 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not sure what Jimbo's original question was, but we use blue painter's tape all the time to visualize the footprint for something.  It works well.  For things that are more expensive/larger/more important (especially to Micheline), I'll create a 3D model using Sketchup software.  It's not exactly easy to use but if you've got experience with any modeling software, it's easier than most.  There's a free online version and there's an extensive library of 3D things that you can put into the model, including many different cabinet shapes and sizes.  If you want to get really fancy, you can add a color or pattern to any surface in the model like different colored woodgrains, concrete, granite, tile, etc.

Thanks for the Sketchup suggestion, I’m pretty sure Andy could figure it out. He designed our new deck on the Lowe’s website using their planning software.  I don’t know if it’s even related but he also used autocad to design office space before he retired.  He says it was the task he enjoyed the most in his career, with contract negotiations being his least favorite. 
This could be really helpful because I’ve toyed with possibly a different cabinet color for the island.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

I’m not sure if this show has been discussed here with the many binge watching tv show discussions, but the fourth and final season of  “Killing Eve” premiers tonight on AMC.  It’s been a great series so far, I just hope the finale won’t be a disappointment. 

Thought the first two seasons were brilliant.  Haven’t seen the third season yet.  Too many shows to watch, not enough time.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

This could be really helpful because I’ve toyed with possibly a different cabinet color for the island.  

This house diagonal from us just went on the market. (1.4 million) it is a flip that was purchased in November. Since we are redoing our kitchen, I was interested in the interior. We are having the shaker style cabinets and drawers, and I noticed that they chose a different color for some. It looks nice, but our kitchen is not large enough to make it work. I have also seen some that chose gray for the lower cabinets. 

Cabinets.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Great Idea Deb!     I like the cabinets and granite you have now but you are right they are too far from the stove/sink/workspaces.     

When you remove the existing cabinets/granite, if you do not have any use for them you can sell on FB marketplace or even donate to somewhere like Habitat for Humanity Restore (they pick up donations in my area).     

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

I’m not sure if this show has been discussed here with the many binge watching tv show discussions, but the fourth and final season of  “Killing Eve” premiers tonight on AMC.  It’s been a great series so far, I just hope the finale won’t be a disappointment. 

I am not familiar with that series.    Will have to check it out.   TY😃

• Like 2