Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Wow.  I would of been pretty upset missing it twice but four times!  You will live it when you make it.  Maybe cruise from there. 

You and Sharon must be getting really excited for your upcoming Alaska cruise.

You should really like the Ovation.

Quantum class is great for cold weather sailings.   

270 theater, Cafe and vintages bar all in that area are nice places to hang out.   The 2 story solarium is really nice too!

If weather is decent there should be a back patio behind WJ.  I always enjoy eating out there when possible. 

Also Jamie's has outdoor seating that is nice if weather permits.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, akcruz said:

@Jimbohow did you like Southport?  Have been to some of those spots you posted.  We enjoy going there on a day trip.

Liked it like, even better then Myrtle Beach, much more laid back. Would be great to downsize there when fully retired. Seems to be talk from the locals of a lot of building going on though, new wider roads and ALOT more houses being built. Many of the locals aren't happy about what is going on.

So not really sure what it will look like in 5- 8 years from now when we might consider a move.

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Looks like a nice town.   Love love strawberries.   

The shrimp look really good too!

Are they Hush puppies or conch fritters?

It was a nice location, weather was beautiful. Also checked out some of the shoreline further up the coast north of Southport. (Wrightsville Beach, Topsail Beach, Surf City, North Topsail Beach)

Good catch, they were Conch Fritters. I had a dozen clams also. But there were gone before I remembered to take some pics. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Liked it like, even better then Myrtle Beach, much more laid back. Would be great to downsize there when fully retired. Seems to be talk from the locals of a lot of building going on though, new wider roads and ALOT more houses being built.

So not really sure what it will look like in 5- 8 years from now when we might consider a move.

It was a nice location, weather was beautiful. Also checked out some of the shoreline further up the coast north of Southport. (Wrightsville Beach, Topsail Beach, Surf City, North Topsail Beach)

Good catch, they were Conch Fritters. I had a dozen clams also. But there were gone before I remembered to take some pics. 🙂

I didn't realize they also have a Surf City.

Pretty much anywhere along any coast is getting built up more and more every year.   Really a shame but prime real estate.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

Ok, I am aware of the desire of mooring lines that you all do, but why would anyone care that you take pictures of this?

I am clueless about the wrongness and desires.

jc

I think it’s because in order to get a close up picture you have to cross the yellow (or whatever color) security line.  

• Like 3

Ok, I get that security is being violated, but the content of the pictures seems a bit like it is just doing it because you shouldn’t.

Which, I am good with BTW.  

I mean the pictures are not very meaningful or beautiful to me.  I do like the rebellion bit though, so keep at it boys.

jc

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Raices has always been our go-to in San Juan.  The Kan Kan pork chop is probably in my top 5 all-time fave meals.  The crispy/fatty edge is pure heaven.

Just saved this establishment in my bookmarks. That Chop.😋

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Ok, I am aware of the desire of mooring lines that you all do, but why would anyone care that you take pictures of this?

jc

I think @harryfat1 Cheapo Dad started it. It is just a fun thing to do, doesn't have to have a reason. When Cruise Critic was much smaller, we once spent an entire weekend talking about rat guards on the mooring lines. Not everything has to have a purpose. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

jc

I've heard if your close and one snaps it can kill you. Or... maybe some guy with a little authority and a whistle just like to blow it.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I think @harryfat1 Cheapo Dad started it. It is just a fun thing to do, doesn't have to have a reason. When Cruise Critic was much smaller, we once spent an entire weekend talking about rat guards on the mooring lines. Not everything has to have a purpose. :classic_biggrin:

I remember a few years ago a lengthy rat guard conversation on the Princess boards. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, if the lines were cut, it would probably cause chaos on the ship, as the forces under conditions of wind or tide or current could cause all kinds of havoc for the ship.  Hence the reason why they guard them.  I imagine the people on the dock are just paid to make sure they are clear, ie big difference between the good doctor and his bad new phone taking a picture, and an evil person with a machete hacking the lines.  So, yes, in that case a person with a whistle and the need to dominate others.

I would think all of the forces would be directed by at the ship, if you cut it at the back of it, you would survive quite well.  Although cutting any line with pressure on it will definitely get your attention, and is dangerous as heck.

jc

17 minutes ago, George C said:

Our cats which we were told were brother and sister 15 years ago were very inseparable first few years, now they much prefer our company than each other . 

Diana, white and tabby cat, was 2 when I brought home Minnie, black cat, as a kitten.  Minnie wanted to be friends and play; Diana was NOT amused.  But Minnie is persistent and now they enjoy each other’s company…and our house is large enough that they can have their own space.  Makes me think of a sign I have in our house “Friends welcome; Relatives by appointment.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Sea Dog This one earned me a whistle!

20220425_210947.thumb.jpg.6c468d7abcdde19d896b0c89fe4b19b8.jpg

Winner! Winner!! extra points for a whistle. Well done I love it.

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

jc

It all started by a poster (who’s screen name I forgot) that always posted mooring line pics. A few of us including John started discussing it and talking about how you can get yelled at for getting close. It’s turned into a little game to see who can get the closest shot without getting yelled at. Mooring shots can be a nice shot. I started doing them for artistic shots.

02033684-770C-47BF-80D1-29F0BEFBD3AC.thumb.jpeg.8c9be036926f628754bbc9f9cc425714.jpeg

I got lucky and was not yelled at.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just saved this establishment in my bookmarks. That Chop.😋

We were at Raices on our last cruise in November. I had never had Puerto Rico authentic food before. It was one the finest meals I had ever had. The food is amazing and I highly recommend it.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Diana, white and tabby cat, was 2 when I brought home Minnie, black cat, as a kitten.  Minnie wanted to be friends and play; Diana was NOT amused.  But Minnie is persistent and now they enjoy each other’s company…and our house is large enough that they can have their own space.  Makes me think of a sign I have in our house “Friends welcome; Relatives by appointment.”

We intentionally got two cats that we’re siblings, because our two previous cats that we got a year apart never got along in the 15 years they were together. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Those buggers😁

Has you Dad tried a net over his fruit trees?   Something like this works great on our cherry tree and our blueberry bushes to keep birds from eating them.    The same concept should work to keep other critters from eating his avocados. 

image.png.88a14ee4847e7dfa1d86d8ee56a2f076.png

Talking about bugs and critters, our Box Bush in the front of our garden is being eaten away by Box caterpillars which turn into moths which then deverstate other Box hedges.  Its all down our road . Tried taking them off but there's too many and it would just come back next year. It's so widespread now in the South. Invasive bug from the far east which arrived in UK in 2007 and slowly spread. Thought about using insecticide but worried about causing harm to other 'good' bugs like bees so it's coming out 

Anybody any ideas what to replace it with? Don't want anything too slow growing 

20220415_141056.thumb.jpg.420d2aaffb49388c06075583e8897012.jpg

20220415_141142_resized.thumb.jpg.98b25b60d39420c1dd6f5214ecf856b0.jpg

20220416_093528.thumb.jpg.c6f736dd861d3810abc99f5c04da5f49.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 6

I was quite a bit behind so I've had to skip/scan the last few pages 

Our little grandson had his first birthday this week and his other grandparents hosted a lovely party at their house. We helped out with all the various sides and salads so it's been a busy few days. A friend of mine made the 'the very hungry caterpillar' cake 

A lovely day, our grandson is a poppet and I have some great photos, unfortunately my son won't let us post them on social media.

Dani, I will bore you with pics of him when I see you in June 😁

20220423_180245.thumb.jpg.69c901e6be1933225bd06c10be349ab5.jpg

20220424_123902_resized.thumb.jpg.86bac56ab6e28a4f1190ef86ed0cb94f.jpg

• Like 23