Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I was just reading on my next door neighbor app a woman who said someone at ALDIs didnt put on a mask so she called 911, who told her to call the health dept. She called them but had to leave a message. She snapped pictures of the offender and her car and license plate.

How do you all feel? Seems over the top, pay for you stuff and get out of there if you are that bothered. What would the health dept do, show up at your doorstep and ban you from grocery shopping for a year. A cruise is a fixed site, but even though I know there will be those pushing the rules, already had covid, vaccinated...I personally havent seen anyone not wearing a mask. But I wouldnt go crazy if I did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric doing great.  I broke my fever overnight and today just feel like a bad head cold.  

His dr had suggested I keep heat off in the car and keep car windows fully open when I drove him home yesterday.  

Little hard to keep windows open with temperatures in the 20s.  Its snowing again today expect 4 to 6 inches.  

Looks pretty, but more shoveling later today.  

Best of luck. Yea kinda crazy to keep windows open when its snowing. Too cold for me. That would make me sick. Lol

Glad you are ok

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

When I had a Mohs treatment for skin cancer next to my nose, under my eye...man did I blacken up.  

Neighbor across the street took one look at me and started to cuss Bucky out!  😄 

I slipped and fell long time ago getting out of the shower. Pulled my shoulder and blackened my eye from hitting it on the corner of the marble sink.

Went to a emergency clinic who gave me pain killers. Albertsons refused to fill them and said I might be the victim of domestic abuse. The clinic had closed by the time I got there and was a Saturday and I wasnt waiting until Monday so they could call and verify I wasnt abused ...personally I'm not sure why it mattered how I got a black eye to them?

The pain killers were for my shoulder I pulled. I did get it filled, went to a drug store.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was just reading on my next door neighbor app a woman who said someone at ALDIs didnt put on a mask so she called 911, who told her to call the health dept. She called them but had to leave a message. She snapped pictures of the offender and her car and license plate.

How do you all feel? Seems over the top, pay for you stuff and get out of there if you are that bothered. What would the health dept do, show up at your doorstep and ban you from grocery shopping for a year. A cruise is a fixed site, but even though I know there will be those pushing the rules, already had covid, vaccinated...I personally havent seen anyone not wearing a mask. But I wouldnt go crazy if I did.

I found it interesting that our Aldi has two huge signs at the entrance demanding that you MUST wear a mask to enter.  Pretty obvious...if you don't like it...don't shop there. 🤨

On the other hand, I see signs on other business's doors here in Florida that state "we highly encourage".  

I do see a difference though...at Aldi I have never seen anyone not wearing a mask.  The business's that use "highly encourage"....1/4 of the customers are not wearing masks.  Shame they thumb their noses at that business that requests it, but don't demand it.  I consider it rude.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I slipped and fell long time ago getting out of the shower. Pulled my shoulder and blackened my eye from hitting it on the corner of the marble sink.

Went to a emergency clinic who gave me pain killers. Albertsons refused to fill them and said I might be the victim of domestic abuse. The clinic had closed by the time I got there and was a Saturday and I wasnt waiting until Monday so they could call and verify I wasnt abused ...personally I'm not sure why it mattered how I got a black eye to them?

The pain killers were for my shoulder I pulled. I did get it filled, went to a drug store.

Ouch!  Sounds like Albertsons were being "busy bodies" to me.  😟

• Like 1

So much changes on this thread in just 24 hours. 

Unfortunately, I have bad news to add. My wife learned yesterday that her BIL had a stroke and is in a medically induced coma. He is 70. The prognosis is not good. She has had way too much death in her family over the past 10 years...both parents, a brother in his 40s, and a sister in her 50s. It’s driving her crazy that there is nothing that she can do. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d be curious to the questioning that Treeskier faced upon entry to the States.  Did the tarped bags in the back of the truck draw attention by the custom officer, like they would normally while crossing the border?  Did they laugh about the howling cat?  How many lines were open? How long were the lines?  Were their questions upon enter any different than normal? Did they ask about end destination or even say the word quarantine? It would be interesting to cross today when as I haven't by land in almost a year and a half. Even with having Nexus it will be a different event.

The border crossing was smoother and easier than many I had in pre-virus day.  There were no other vehicles at the crossing when I arrived. There was one CBP agent stationed in a vehicle about 30 meters north of the booth who got out of the vehicle and queried what was in the back of the truck. That was only noticeable virus related difference that I experienced at this crossing.  I explained our extended stay in Canada and that were crossing under the DHS advisory memorandum dated May 19th.  He waved us forward to the booth.

At the booth, I handed over my passport and I once again explained our extended trip and our crossing authority.  The CBP agent laughed about the cat. Basil (that is our cats name) was determined to escape through the window while I was talking to the CBP agent at the booth.  He asked where we lived. He directed me inside because I was importing a vehicle I bought while in Canada.  The paperwork was sorted in a few minutes.  

There was no inspection of the poorly tarped load just a declaration that there was no meat or fruit anywhere in it.  I had actually gone to the trouble of carefully packing and labeling it so I would as easy as possible to inspect. They asked if I was carrying in excess of $10,000 in cash.  That is not an unusual question as some might think.  The CBP agent that we dealt with on the inside then handed us passports back smiled and said "Welcome to the United States" and we carried on our way.  The whole process was over in less than 15 minutes and would have been substantially less had it not been for the new vehicle.

There was no mention quarantine. They did ask about our final destination but made no comment after we gave them our address. There was one line open. During our entire time at the border there wasn't a single other passenger vehicle that attempted to cross.  There were commercial trucks crossing in both directions.  Except for complete absence of other people trying to cross it wasn't substantially different than any of the many crossing I have made.  

The CBP agent on the inside did tell me that on a typical Saturday that this particular border crossing would have processed 3000 vehicles.  As much as double that if it were a holiday weekend.  He said today there would probably be 12.  This was the smallest of the 4 Vancouver area crossings but the one we typically crossed at when we lived in Canada. I asked if staffing levels had changed and he said that they had not. They still had the full compliment of agents and inspectors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Unfortunately, I have bad news to add. My wife learned yesterday that her BIL had a stroke and is in a medically induced coma. He is 70. The prognosis is not good. She has had way too much death in her family over the past 10 years...both parents, a brother in his 40s, and a sister in her 50s. It’s driving her crazy that there is nothing that she can do. 

That is so sad.  Sorry to hear the bad news.  And so sudden like that with no warning.  Hugs to your wife.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm so sorry to hear that Bob.  You have our thoughts and prayers.

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

How sad for you all.  Another impact of the damned virus is that you cannot make the visits that you would in better times.  

I will remember you all in my prayers.  I wish we could do more.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric doing great.  I broke my fever overnight and today just feel like a bad head cold.  

His dr had suggested I keep heat off in the car and keep car windows fully open when I drove him home yesterday.  

Little hard to keep windows open with temperatures in the 20s.  Its snowing again today expect 4 to 6 inches.  

Looks pretty, but more shoveling later today.  

It really does sound as if you had COVID and it was the test that was wrong.  That would be good because you don’t have to worry about catching it again.  

We have had a bad weather warning - of strong winds and heavy rain showers.  Temperature around 16 degrees (centigrade) but it won’t be fun getting to work in the morning.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

So sorry to hear this, I agree one of the worst things is that helpless feeling of not being able to do anything or be there for your loved ones.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Big day today. We finally crossed back across the Canada/US border and are making our way back home. To my wife’s chagrin I’ve decided I need to spend a couple weeks in Washington state connecting with and doing a little work with some colleagues in the Seattle/Tacoma area and but then we’ll race back home.

351 days later, after what we thought was going to be a 3 week trip back to our home and native land, we are back in our adopted country. So much has happened to us in that time it is really hard to process it all. 

We arrived in Canada with just 3 suitcases and my briefcase. We left with 8 of those blue plastic tubs, the three suitcases and two of those big  IKEA shopping bags stuffed with clothes.  

It was pouring rain and windy this morning so I tarped it all in the back of my pick up with one of those cheap blue Walmart tarps. I looked like a  member of the Beverly Hillbilly’s rolling up to the border. Especially so with my cat sitting on the console howling like I was sticking him with a fork. 

Thursday and Friday were nostalgic days. I spent most of both of them driving around looking at old haunts and saying goodbye to a few friends and family. We got to 5th wheel today, which has been dutifully waiting for us in a storage yard just south of the border, and felt like for the first time in a long time we could relax.  It’s nice to feel a small sense of normalcy. 

It’ll  be even better when I walk in the front door of my house. 

That's is too funny about looking like Beverly hillbillies.  Just needed Granny!  

Sounds like your Cat didnt care for border crossing.

You may have mentioned in past posts but I cannot recall.  Did you have someone caring for the home while you were in Canada?  

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You may have mentioned in past posts but I cannot recall.  Did you have someone caring for the home while you were in Canada?  

I have a daughter who lives in the same city.  She made sure our place was taken care of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Unfortunately, I have seen many people not wear their mask properly.   Sometime before Christmas I saw a family of 5 at food store and they all had masks on their chin.  Some lady gave them crap, and they told their kids to ignore the crazy old lady.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Unfortunately, I have seen many people not wear their mask properly.   Sometime before Christmas I saw a family of 5 at food store and they all had masks on their chin.  Some lady gave them crap, and they told their kids to ignore the crazy old lady.

Hottest topic I've ever seen of my neighbors. Most say social distance and mind you own business, let the store know. I agree social distance, masks arent that great. Up to 257 neighbors replied. Didnt know I had that many lol. 

20210207_104344.jpg

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I have bad news to add. My wife learned yesterday that her BIL had a stroke and is in a medically induced coma. He is 70. The prognosis is not good.

So sorry for you and your family. Been there, the prognosis was not good and is still the same 5 years after.

On another hand, @Sunshine3601 had same bad news a few days ago, and 2 or 3 doctors, after declaring "brain dead" were proven wrong, and the guy is alive and "kicking".

Hate to repeat myself, but just the other day I've said that "medicine is not an exact science".

Hopefully, the prognosis will turn to the better. Sending positive thoughts across the pond.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2021 at 8:52 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Is anyone getting non-stop emails from Park West Gallery about auctions, etc.? Boy, they must be hurting without having sales on cruise ships.  

I bought one piece of artwork 2 years ago.  I absolutely love it and happy I bought it as I enjoy it whenever I sit in my living room and feel bad for them everytime I get their emails.

Kay's Jewelry is doing a trunk show in Orlando this month. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, xpcdoojk said:

So, we were in Spain for a few weeks way back in 2006/2007 were there before Xmas and after Epiphany (my birthday), and when we were in Granada, we did a tour where we went to the caves and the flamenco dancing, on the walk to the caves we walked thru a large Jewish quarter.  Looked much like the other small streets, but it was clearly different to our guide (not so much to my American eyes).  Lovely memories.  Lovely place.

We were there in 2005. My biggest memory is the nasty fornicating monkees.

We did come across a very British wedding coming down the Rock

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's very sad news about your wife's BIL having a stroke.

I sincerely hope that he pulls through.

• Thanks 1